Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Dublins four outstanding performers were Davey Byrne, James McCarthy, Brian Fenton and Ciaran Kilkenny. These lads carried some of the others and we'd have lost without any one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

You just have to hope that referee's start to cop on to kerrys persistent diving and feigning of injury. Scandalous stuff. And don't get me started on Clifford, it's a free if you look at the chap.

Good game all round and a point fair, truth be told. Onwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

I was watching from the Davin stand so not always easy to see the action at far end. I might not be right but it looked like on about half a dozen occasions the referee moved the ball forward when Kerry got a free kick. Several of these occasions moving the ball forward created a scoring oportunity including for the last equalizing Kerry point.

We're the Dublin players that undisciplined when Kerry got a free?

A good workout tonight. Some on both teams have a few winter pounds to shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The second half certainly had a bit of spice to it. The amount of blocking off the ball the Kerry D were at would make a sailor blush.
    Such is the way though in a Dublin v Kerry game. Plenty of yellows and soft frees that tends to just frustrate the players and fans. Philly got the softest yellow I've seen in a while after Clifford swung an arm at him.

Good run out for Dessie and the boys though. Will stand to them.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

strongback wrote: »
    I was watching from the Davin stand so not always easy to see the action at far end. I might not be right but it looked like on about half a dozen occasions the referee moved the ball forward when Kerry got a free kick. Several of these occasions moving the ball forward created a scoring oportunity including for the last equalizing Kerry point.

We're the Dublin players that undisciplined when Kerry got a free?

A good workout tonight. Some on both teams have a few winter pounds to shed.

I thought the ref strutted around in the second half looking to give Kerry a lot of soft calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

Does anybody know why the Devin entrance turnstiles were not working?

A few hundred people couldn't get into the stadium until 15 minutes after the game had started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

strongback wrote: »
    Does anybody know why the Devin entrance turnstiles were not working?

A few hundred people couldn't get into the stadium until 15 minutes after the game had started.

No one to man them I reckon. Absolute joke. The queue to get in the Cusack was mental. 2 sections of turnstiles closed, and some turnstiles closed if the sections that were opened.

They will never change the GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Buer wrote: »
    Kerry found a lot of comfortable space in the final third where Dublin had to foul to keep them out. It's important to blood a defender or two this campaign. No shortage of forward with Aaron Byrne looking very comfortable and Bogler and McHugh already appearing borderline ready.

Concerning second half. They eradicated Fenton's influence and no other player stepped into the space until the final 15mins when Kilkenny assumed his usual influential role. Hopefully, Kerry can't shut Dublin down so easily. They're on an upward trajectory and will take confidence from tonight.

I was really looking forward to Howard in midfield but not sure it is going to work based on this evening. He was nullified too easily.

It goes without saying McCaffrey, Cooper and Con will be huge additions again though

Is Con injured or getting an additional break due to a belated end to his season due to Cuala commitments?

Was pleasantly surprised by the quality on show tonight. Thought Byrne looked a very tidy player. McHugh has always had the talent maybe Dessie will get the best out of his clubman?

Wouldnt worry about Howard at mid. Reckon he'll be named wing forward by summer anyway, could see bugler and ocofaigh pushing very hard for places

How good a player is James McCarthy? Phenomenal as ever I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Just back from the game there now was fairly spicy full on match for first day back! Taught few lads behind me where gonna start on each other near the end there never mind on the pitch:pac:

Some of the players obviously looked a lot better then others but that's to be expected. There have been issues at the back for a while now that we where able to overcome and patch up around the field but its only going to become more of a problem if we don't address it as soon as chance is there.

I think Rory O Carroll is done he hasn't looked comfortable at all since hes returned and a few other lads are losing the legs a bit. The amount of last ditch dodgy tackling and soft frees we're giving away is gonna cost us big time one day sooner rather then later.

Cant wait for Con to be back you can clearly see how much he offers to the team going forward especially when Mannion has an off day. I think we really lacked a bit of urgency at times especially in the second half really didnt think we where gonna step it up another gear but we did and if not for the constant stoppages and ref having a nightmare we should of held on for the win.

Not a bad day out for first game back in fairness though when you think of some of the players we have to come back as well!!

jr86 wrote: »
    It goes without saying McCaffrey, Cooper and Con will be huge additions again though

Is Con injured or getting an additional break due to a belated end to his season due to Cuala commitments?

Was pleasantly surprised by the quality on show tonight. Thought Byrne looked a very tidy player. McHugh has always had the talent maybe Dessie will get the best out of his clubman?

Wouldnt worry about Howard at mid. Reckon he'll be named wing forward by summer anyway, could see bugler and ocofaigh pushing very hard for places

How good a player is James McCarthy? Phenomenal as ever I thought

He picked up an injury and will miss first few rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Draw probably a fair result would love to find a couple of options for the defence though we were way off on occasions .Some amount of cards shown would need to see the game back to see why some were shown.A bit of indiscipline cost us at the end maby kicking the ball away is pointless though he could have thrown the ball up as well due to Kerry lad retaliating. Overall happy not to lose and on to Castlebar next week .

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Fair play to Seán Bugler who came on, and off, and on, and off, and on, and off and on again. Then he came on for Kev, as a proper sub, and had to go off due to injury. The stop-starting can’t have been easy for him to stay fresh.

Has any player, in the history of the GAA, ever had their name called out on the tannoy as often as Seán had this evening?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

hankless wrote: »
    Fair play to Seán Bugler who came on, and off, and on, and off, and on, and off and on again. Then he came on for Kev, as a proper sub, and had to go off due to injury. The stop-starting can’t have been easy for him to stay fresh.

Has any player, in the history of the GAA, ever had their name called out on the tannoy as often as Seán had this evening?!

Yeah it has to be some sort of record. It was a bit mad.
    In saying that though Dessie obviously trusts him so it should be a massive boost to his confidence - that he is not far off the first 15.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Rory O Carrol was all over the shop. We had the game won. One point up in injury time and Comerford sends what looked like a good kick out to O Carroll. Bizarrely he misjudged the pass and let the ball sail past him. No way was that a bad pass. He then raced back and gave away the free to equalise. Brutal stuff. His fellow clubman Mannion was even worse, fumbling and missing two or three chances. Bad day at the office for the Kilmacud duo.

As soon as ROC came on I said 'ah he can't run anymore'. Sadly I was proved right I would be surprised to see him on a Dublin panel again. When Dublin played Tryone in Omagh in the super 8's it was obvious he was miles off - a shadow of his former self.
    As for Mannion I don't know what has happened him hopefully it is just a confidence issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Gael85

Happy with result considering lads only back in training a week. Would put Mannion performance down to lack of sharpness. Referee was poor for both teams. It a good run out for the lads but realistically our season won't until if we make it to super 8s. League should be used to game time for likes of Comerford, Darren Gavin, Bugler, McHugh, Shane Clayton, Colm Basquel and Aaron Byrne to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

No one to man them I reckon. Absolute joke. The queue to get in the Cusack was mental. 2 sections of turnstiles closed, and some turnstiles closed if the sections that were opened.

They will never change the GAA.

15 mins to get into the Cusack! Mental, normal parish is the hill where (after been strip searched on the road in) you fly through the turnstiles

I didn't find any issues getting into cusack maybe just lucky I dunno?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Enjoyed that game.

I would imagine it might take the league campaign before we see what effect Dessie is going to have on the team. If they have only been training a bit then the team would be still playing whatever was drilled into them last season.

I noticed an over reliance , for me, on individual snippets of class but that happened in last years final where 3-4 players step up each game. Any team playing Dublin has to target Fenton, he was majestic. Kilkenny also seems to really step up regularly in games when we are struggling or in trouble.

Looks like Kerry are comfortable with the kick outs, there really is no difference now between dublin and Kerry kickouts as both sets of keepers/players are comfortable with finding space.

It felt like Kerry got their scores a lot easier then us at times. Although I’d say they will miss Clifford more then we will miss any player. It’s been obvious for years he would be an exceptional talent and he will quickly he the best player in the sport if he continues this trajectory.

I was worried Dublin would finish slow but our response (and possibly Kerry bottling it a bit) was good to see. The celebration of the Kerry fans with a draw and passion during the game was funny to watch. I remember a time when you wouldn’t see or hear from a Kerry fan outside of the kingdom until August. Now they punch the air when they get a draw with us in January! Times have changed.

There were cues from about 25 mins before throw in. Wasn’t too bad for me (maybe 5 mins) but my sister took longer when she came after me.

Drumpot wrote: »
    There were cues from about 25 mins before throw in. Wasn’t too bad for me (maybe 5 mins) but my sister took longer when she came after me.

I walked in with me son and me da about 40 minutes before the game. My biggest issue was the ques in the jacks! Glad I only had one pint haha. Speaking of which noticed at the food and drink stalls it's card only now. Said it to fella serving me is this for the whole year he said ya there trialing It atm. That will piss a few off I'd imagine! Handy for me though as rarely have cash on me these days.

• Advertisement

I walked in with me son and me da about 40 minutes before the game. My biggest issue was the ques in the jacks! Glad I only had one pint haha. Speaking of which noticed at the food and drink stalls it's card only now. Said it to fella serving me is this for the whole year he said ya there trialing It atm. That will piss a few off I'd imagine! Handy for me though as rarely have cash on me these days.

There were definitely ques when I was going in, prob around the time Kerry came out and I was in cusack.

That will suit me as I left my wallet at home and brought 25e and a bank card. Used 8 for two programmes and me card for anything else.

Did you notice a fair bit of bite among the fans? There were some really annoying Kerry fans near me.

There were definitely ques when I was going in, prob around the time Kerry came out and I was in cusack.

That will suit me as I left my wallet at home and brought 25e and a bank card. Used 8 for two programmes and me card for anything else.

Did you notice a fair bit of bite among the fans? There were some really annoying Kerry fans near me.

Jesus ya there some serious ****e talk going on there's a clear bitterness there about the 5 in a row I feel.

I was down the front of 308 and was fair few Kerry fans around me with usual Dublin lads behind me as well. It was starting to get a bit edgy going into later stages the second half to say the least. Lashing into each other haha!

They moved 6 or 7 kids right in front of us as well which would of pissed me off had it of been a big All Ireland match as they where messing around and mostly on there phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

jr86 wrote: »

McHugh will need to improve off his right foot if he's to get in the team. Byrne's pace will always be useful.

Enjoyed that game.

I would imagine it might take the league campaign before we see what effect Dessie is going to have on the team. If they have only been training a bit then the team would be still playing whatever was drilled into them last season.

Yeah, Dessie has to give everyone a decent chance before he makes any changes. I would be surprised if he changed things dramatically as it would be stupid to make change just for changes sake.
    I noticed an over reliance , for me, on individual snippets of class but that happened in last years final where 3-4 players step up each game. Any team playing Dublin has to target Fenton, he was majestic. Kilkenny also seems to really step up regularly in games when we are struggling or in trouble.

Fenton was pure class effortless points. That goal chance Kilkenny missed though making his angle worse and running towards the keeper instead of jinking the other way.
    Looks like Kerry are comfortable with the kick outs, there really is no difference now between dublin and Kerry kickouts as both sets of keepers/players are comfortable with finding space.

It is a great compliment to Dublin that Kerry have basically copied Dublin's style.
    It felt like Kerry got their scores a lot easier then us at times. Although I’d say they will miss Clifford more then we will miss any player. It’s been obvious for years he would be an exceptional talent and he will quickly he the best player in the sport if he continues this trajectory.

Before Clifford's goal I felt the opposite that Dublin were getting scores easy.
    Then things seemed to change.
    As for Clifford himself he is now playing like he did at minor level. The fella is unplayable at times. It is a bit sickening at how level headed and sensible he seems at just 21.
    I was worried Dublin would finish slow but our response (and possibly Kerry bottling it a bit) was good to see. The celebration of the Kerry fans with a draw and passion during the game was funny to watch. I remember a time when you wouldn’t see or hear from a Kerry fan outside of the kingdom until August. Now they punch the air when they get a draw with us in January! Times have changed.

I noticed the Kerry fans were very quiet for most of the game until towards the end until they looked like winning.
    It reminded me of the way Dublin fans used to be before most had ever seen Dublin beat Kerry in league or championship.
    I can't remember the year but it was the first time I had ever seen Dublin not beaten by Kerry (only a draw) - I was just as delighted with the draw as the Kerry fans are now.

It is going to be a great rivalry in the next five years. It will be a great time to be a Dub or Kerry supporter.

Buer wrote: »
    McHugh already appearing borderline ready.
    corny wrote: »
    McHugh will need to improve off his right foot if he's to get in the team

McHugh is 25 now and seems to have been floating around the panel for ages.
    I cannot remember a time where in played in a Dublin jersey and he stood out.
    He never seems to play as well as he does for Na Fianna.

With O'Gara and Bernard gone this should McHugh's chance in theory. But I still feel that he will have a job to displace Costello in the pecking order. Plus the young guns Bugler and Byrne seem to have more about them than McHugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

IRE60 wrote: »
    15 mins to get into the Cusack! Mental, normal parish is the hill where (after been strip searched on the road in) you fly through the turnstiles

Lads beside me got in about 15min after Throw-in.

They're the same regulars that I've been siting near for the lat 10 years.

I got to CP at about 1850 and it was rammed. They were moving people up to the 309 gates because the 305 gates were full! The way it was you would be thinking there were 60k at the game.

Apparently there were issues getting into the Davin as well.

Enjoyed that game.

Can we keep that fawning for elsewhere. The child wasn't exactly vintage yesterday from my POV (though my POV was brutal from 303D). And Byrne laid down a marker on him earlier on by pushing him out. Fenton was a class above everyone on that pitch last night. Clifford has a while to go before he can tie his boots.

If he's crowded he does little. But give him space and he gives you highlights reel from distance. Naturally that glosses over the inability to look at him crooked without being penalised.

---

The fervour that Themmuns gave to every score was something.

But what really fecked me over was how 305 was lit with them. I mean, they were hardly all ST holders?

---

McHugh looked lost out there for me. I can't see what he was meant to be bringing. He got hassled way too easily.

Also, I asked last night, Aaron Byrne was wearing no. 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Can we keep that fawning for elsewhere. The child wasn't exactly vintage yesterday from my POV (though my POV was brutal from 303D). And Byrne laid down a marker on him earlier on by pushing him out. Fenton was a class above everyone on that pitch last night. Clifford has a while to go before he can tie his boots.

If he's crowded he does little. But give him space and he gives you highlights reel from distance. Naturally that glosses over the inability to look at him crooked without being penalised.

---

The fervour that Themmuns gave to every score was something.

But what really fecked me over was how 305 was lit with them. I mean, they were hardly all ST holders?

---

McHugh looked lost out there for me. I can't see what he was meant to be bringing. He got hassled way too easily.

Also, I asked last night, Aaron Byrne was wearing no. 18?

In fairness the way the jerseys and Bugler were being swapped around it was like being in a bingo Hall.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    In fairness the way the jerseys and Bugler were being swapped around it was like being in a bingo Hall.

I was lost at times alright. honestly, sitting that close to the pitch is almost pointless! I was hoping to move but there was a bigger crowd than expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Dreadful performance by hurlers today. We may fkn give up. Be lucky not to be playing Meath next year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement