Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

dobman88 wrote: »
    Up the bleedin dubs. Stuck a little fiver on the draw at 16/1 just before the goal. Will pay for the trip to Omagh tomorrow. Gerrup

Nice one. Fortune favours the brave !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

JRant wrote: »
    Some fierce soft frees going against us again today.

Totally, the ref was up or should I say down to the standard that we’ve become accustomed to over the last two or three years...

Monaghan were smart about it, if they ran into a wall of blue they’d have the ball around throat height, Dublin player puts in a hand around throat area or shoulder to fairly dispossess and they are hitting the deck like it’s WWE time, often pulling the Dublin player with them. Forgetting who is playing but I’m concerned about the genuinely poor standard of officiating firstly and secondly these snide tactics that seem to be edging their way into the game regularly over the last couple of years... it’s to the detriment of the game and the sooner the GAA hierarchy get about demanding more from officials and indeed players themselves too, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Nice one. Fortune favours the brave !

Didnt think Monaghan had the balls to see it out and we all know the Dubs do, draw made sense. First time I ever cheered a Kev Mac goal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Delighted with the performance in second half polar opposite of first half.

Ya don't like seeing any Dublin team in any age group or sport been hammered the way they where in first half.

You will get bad days but there was major lack of so many things at that stage.

Showed great heart and team work to return in manner they did in second half. Especially with a few younger lads threwout the team.

Good for new management as well a heavy defeat would of put more pressure on them then anything at this early stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Strumms wrote: »
    Totally, the ref was up or should I say down to the standard that we’ve become accustomed to over the last two or three years...

Monaghan were smart about it, if they ran into a wall of blue they’d have the ball around throat height, Dublin player puts in a hand around throat area or shoulder to fairly dispossess and they are hitting the deck like it’s WWE time, often pulling the Dublin player with them. Forgetting who is playing but I’m concerned about the genuinely poor standard of officiating firstly and secondly these snide tactics that seem to be edging their way into the game regularly over the last couple of years... it’s to the detriment of the game and the sooner the GAA hierarchy get about demanding more from officials and indeed players themselves too, the better.

O'Shea made a great point in commentary about Monaghan players going down for prolonged periods of time when they were down a man and how refs need to wise up to it. He was spot on as usual.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MFPM

Delighted with the comeback, really didn't see it, players really stood up in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Well Holy Gawd !

All you can do sometimes, is just shake your head and laugh really....do this shower even remember what losing feels like anymore?

Am starting to forget meself....

Delighted with the performance in second half polar opposite of first half.

Ya don't like seeing any Dublin team in any age group or sport been hammered the way they where in first half.

You will get bad days but there was major lack of so many things at that stage.

Showed great heart and team work to return in manner they did in second half. Especially with a few younger lads threwout the team.

Good for new management as well a heavy defeat would of put more pressure on them then anything at this early stage.

Horrific weather and the lads just weren't tuned in for that first 35 minutes. They must had been still dreaming of those beaches in Bali :)

In saying that, slow starts can become a very bad habit. One, which, Dessie had better get drilled out of them over the next few rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

JRant wrote: »
    Horrific weather and the lads just weren't tuned in for that first 35 minutes. They must had been still dreaming of those beaches in Bali :)

In saying that, slow starts can become a very bad habit. One, which, Dessie had better get drilled out of them over the next few rounds.

Ya we where ropey against Mayo in first half as well its not something you wanna see continue.

I think there's big pressure on Dessie no matter how Dublin play he can't win. If we win again this year sure it was setup for him! Anyone could of won with that team! If we lose and there's a few bad performances then it's a case of it was Gavins team can only go down from here etc etc.

I obviously want him to succeed looking forward to seeing what he does with this team and the new and old faces!

Ya we where ropey against Mayo in first half as well its not something you wanna see continue.

I think there's big pressure on Dessie no matter how Dublin play he can't win. If we win again this year sure it was setup for him! Anyone could of won with that team! If we lose and there's a few bad performances then it's a case of it was Gavins team can only go down from here etc etc.

I obviously want him to succeed looking forward to seeing what he does with this team and the new and old faces!

Exactly, it's a terrible habit to get in to.

Win, lose or draw Dessie should get either the plaudits or stick. A win and it should be seen as building on previous success, similar to how it was with Gavin. A lose and it's still 5 in a row and crack on for the following year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Gael85

A James McCarthy special. Outside of the right boot with a little bend what a fantastic score.

Was right behind it on hill. Thought was gone wide and then just bounced in off post .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Refs and officials definitely taking harder line on time wasting which was possibly Monaghan's downfall. Fifteen added minutes last night and same in Kerry game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Refs and officials definitely taking harder line on time wasting which was possibly Monaghan's downfall. Fifteen added minutes last night and same in Kerry game?

Good. The ball was in play for no more than 1 minute in the original 6 added on in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Needed a rest after that. Did not do as much shouting for a long time. That game will live long in the memory manky weather, worst Dublin performance in the first half I saw for years.
    They were so loose and gave fellas so much space it was joke.

But that second half performance, I did not see it happening. I was only thinking of scoring difference at that stage.
    I can only think of one game where there was better turn around for the Dubs the 2015 league semi-final v Cork

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2014/0413/608617-cork-v-dublin/

Dublin were 8 down, and won by 7 in the end that day.

Of the new/fringe lads Bugler top of the tree really has something about him - three points as sub.
    He should start more for sure. In my book he should be in the starting 15 when everyone is fit. Keep Howard at half back and give Bugler a spot in the forwards. Wasn't he man of the match on his champo debut v Tyrone in the Super 8 dead rubber last year?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0804/1066966-bugler-impresses-on-first-championship-start/

Flatman will be disappointed, Dan O'Brien was mixed, Aaron Byrne could have done more. Basquel was busy when he came on.

Mannion looks like he is drifting down the pecking order, ironically his Kimacud teammates seem to be pushing him.

There was only about 8 regulars who started so it a win-win even if it was a draw! Tells Dessie about which fellas are up for a battle.
    But it was the auld veterans who won the game though Kilkenny, Kevin Mc, McCarthy and Rock. Fenton driving forward at the end. The legend heads on them!

I sort of feel guilty for doubting them. At one stage I was thinking that is it the party is over. The slow decline is on. How wrong I was!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Good. The ball was in play for no more than 1 minute in the original 6 added on in the 2nd half.
    By this logic there should be 20 minutes added on at the end of each half.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Some amount of toerags around me yesterday. Screaming abuse at Dublin players, the referee, rival supporters. Two elderly Monaghan supporters in front of me were subjected to a wanker gesture on the final whistle. Gobsmacked.

The new lads on the team aren't putting their hands up for selection. Bugler has a future but the rest have a lot to prove.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    By this logic there should be 20 minutes added on at the end of each half.

Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Ok.
    Ref blew up exactly on 4 minutes for meath mayo match. If that was Dublin at home you would guarantee the ref would have allowed another play at his discretion.

Given the massive inconsistancies between different refs on a day to day basis, I dunno if I would agree that this is a coordinated effort by all of them to crack down on time wasting. But even if it is, we will be the ones to benefit. We have spent the past decade honing our skills at protecting a narrow lead and winding down the clock, but keeping the ball in play. That is crucial, as we won't be the ones having extra time added on, if it doesn't suit us to have it be added on.

The likes of Kerry, Mayo, Monaghan etc etc will, as they are nowhere near as skilled as we are at spending 5 crucial minutes with the ball, but doing eff all that puts possesion at risk. Last night proved that it is A LOT harder than it looks, both in the physical sense of actually hanging onto the ball, but also having the nerves of steel to carry it off, to mentally not panic and most importantly of all, to resist the temptation to send up Hail Mary shots to add to the lead.
    I sort of feel guilty for doubting them. At one stage I was thinking that is it the party is over. The slow decline is on. How wrong I was!

The words 'thundering' and 'gobshyte' come to mind, but I can't put them together, or I'd get banned for personal abuse. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ref blew up exactly on 4 minutes for meath mayo match. If that was Dublin at home you would guarantee the ref would have allowed another play at his discretion.

I was at the match. On the 69/70 minute the board came up for 6 minutes extra.

Monaghan players then went down and according to the clock on the hill end they were arsein' around for a full 2. 41 seconds. People in the Hogan were screaming all around me that they were just time wasting and were proved right.

Then when play tried to resume a few Monaghan substitutions were made. Which wasted more time.

According to the clock again on the Hill end the match was over just after the 78 minute.

The ref didn't add on extra time, Monaghan just fcuked up as did Dessie Farrell in the first game v Kerry with late substitutions etc.

That's the timeline.
    And as an aside, at one stage Monaghan were 1.09 to 0-2 up against Dublin.

A bit rich to be blaming a ref for letting that lead slip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

corny wrote: »
    Some amount of toerags around me yesterday. Screaming abuse at Dublin players, the referee, rival supporters. Two elderly Monaghan supporters in front of me were subjected to a wanker gesture on the final whistle. Gobsmacked.

Shocking stuff really. Hate that crap. It was very prevelant on the hill in the all Ireland final too.
    The hill last night was very good natured. Plenty of us just breaking out laughing because of the conditions.
    One of the wettest trips to Croker ever. Thanks be to god it wasn't so cold

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Some of our own I assume?

Myself and daughter had to move at Roscommon game last year because of same thing. I thought it had more or less died out but there no shortage of imbeciles unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Some of our own I assume?

Myself and daughter had to move at Roscommon game last year because of same thing. I thought it had more or less died out but there no shortage of imbeciles unfortunately.

Yeah. Dublin supporters are the worst in the country for it imo. Probably because they normally outnumber opposition supporters and that can embolden these cowards.

I feel dirty saying this:D but i thought Branigan refereed the game well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Yeah. Dublin supporters are the worst in the country for it imo. Probably because they normally outnumber opposition supporters and that can embolden these cowards.

I feel dirty saying this:D but i thought Branigan refereed the game well.

What I find remarkable is that the majority of these mouths are old enough to know better. The aul chap throwing digs on The Hill in last years AI was old enough to be my older brother :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Up the dubs. Even when we are muck we don’t get beaten

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

How are you Andy? Hope all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ArielAtom wrote: »
    How are you Andy? Hope all goes well.

Yeah I forgot about that. That McEntee interview amused me.

1) Because he said the bigger teams get all decisions - re-timekeeping

2) Because it meant that he was admitting that Meath were a 'small' team!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Yeah I forgot about that. That McEntee interview amused me.

1) Because he said the bigger teams get all decisions - re-timekeeping

2) Because it meant that he was admitting that Meath were a 'small' team!

He will be praying for no extra time on March 15th.

Black Eyed Pea " I gota feeling" blasting on the radio. Have a mad impluse to grab the nearest stranger and have a bop...while screaming "G'wan ya good ting" at whatever Dublin player just came down to say a last goodbye to the Hill, before dispearing into the dressing room with Sam....

Or maybe that's just me....memories of sunnier, sweat soaked, fun filled (and silverware laden) summer days on a Baltic February commute home...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Dublin Donegal
    Tyrone Dublin tickets available now on tickets. ie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement