Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Was Crummey playing up front today for Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

He was, Interesting change. Very efficient win. Could have had 4/5 goals. Wexford next week be interesting. Safe from relegation now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Well done Dublin hurlers but that is one poor Carlow team. I know their in with the big boys now and it was the first time i got a good look at them on tv and i was not one bit impressed. They had a nice wind in second half but mustered only 5 points i think. Hammered by Clare and Kilkenny and Dublin won pulling up. Hard to know what Carlow and Westmeath are gaining by being hammered every game. As a Dub i reserve judgement for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Well done Dublin hurlers but that is one poor Carlow team. I know their in with the big boys now and it was the first time i got a good look at them on tv and i was not one bit impressed. They had a nice wind in second half but mustered only 5 points i think. Hammered by Clare and Kilkenny and Dublin won pulling up. Hard to know what Carlow and Westmeath are gaining by being hammered every game. As a Dub i reserve judgement for another day.

Mattie Kenny seems to have a set on O'Rorke - took him off frees then subbed him.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Carlow seem to have gone back a bit. I remember when Dublin were in same boat and it is utterly demoralising to be subjected to serial hammerings.

Interesting too that Dublin look far more imposing physically. Obviously been hitting the weights over winter. Unfortunately that is not an advantage against the top 3/4. The Wexford game will tell a lot. If they win they will be in contention to top the section. Already safe and that was a concern.

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Carlow seem to have gone back a bit. I remember when Dublin were in same boat and it is utterly demoralising to be subjected to serial hammerings.

Interesting too that Dublin look far more imposing physically. Obviously been hitting the weights over winter. Unfortunately that is not an advantage against the top 3/4. The Wexford game will tell a lot. If they win they will be in contention to top the section. Already safe and that was a concern.

I am looking forward to the wexford game and how Dublin will fare in Croke Park instead of Parnell in last year's championship. By right I think the hurling should be played in Parnell as there is a much better chance of winning there.

Of course it should be in Parnell. Makes no sense to be surrendering home advantage against teams like Wexford. On other hand, they are safe now so be chance to test themselves. Just about coming out of Laois depression. In fairness and despite the Cats game they look a bit more focussed and determined. Was terrible night for hurling but their skills under pressure were good and they won most of the hard ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I hadn't noticed but it absolutely is an advantage. The successful sides Limerick, Tipp, Galway are filled with ****ing huge men. Thats not coincidence. Its a huge driver for success.

We've been crying out for better conditioning for ages now. Wilting late in games and the like.

It was obvious last night. Just bullied Carlow out of it and they be tough enough fkers. Wont work against Cats or Tipp.

But perhaps it is something Kenny is working on. Noticeable that certain chaps who funked it in Portlaosie who have not played this year and he is putting Crummy up front. Need steel to win anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Not sure about Crummey in the inside forward line at all. He did well enough but doesn't have that killer instinct when in on goal.

Horrible conditions but you can still see we are as soft as a wet paper bag in the middle third at times. No idea what Mattie can do about that really.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

martin kavanagh is excellent , would make the kilkenny team or any team in the country , they have a cody fella in midfield thats pretty good also but they are struggling , they have joined up with kilkenny in recent years for league competitions but they need a greater pick to improve

laois are the only team emerging with potential in my opinion but very little in the forwards at the moment

Four senior hurling clubs in Carlow. There is just no way they can compete with the elite counties. They are maximising what they have and a lot of good work being done but the numbers will always be their downfall. Pretty unfair system really where if DJ Carey was born in Carlow we'd barely have heard of him and he'd never get close to winning an All Ireland. The luck of birth place in the GAA trumps talent and that's a pity for so many.

Four senior hurling clubs in Carlow. There is just no way they can compete with the elite counties. They are maximising what they have and a lot of good work being done but the numbers will always be their downfall. Pretty unfair system really where if DJ Carey was born in Carlow we'd barely have heard of him and he'd never get close to winning an All Ireland. The luck of birth place in the GAA trumps talent and that's a pity for so many.

The amount of senior hurling clubs in a county is always thrown about but it’s something that’s fairly selective by that county. They could have 10 or 2 if they chose to.
    Let’s not forget they’re basically part of Kilkenny for a lot of the year too. That’s the part they should be focusing on rather than excuses, it won’t be a short term thing.

The amount of senior hurling clubs in a county is always thrown about but it’s something that’s fairly selective by that county. They could have 10 or 2 if they chose to.
    Let’s not forget they’re basically part of Kilkenny for a lot of the year too. That’s the part they should be focusing on rather than excuses, it won’t be a short term thing.

exactly ,huge potential in hurling , but for some reason they consider themselves a football county , they have more the 4 clubs hurling by the way , limerick have only 12 senior clubs for example

IT Carlow narrowly missed out on a fitzgibbon this year with several carlow players on board

It's a small county and a dual county so numbers will always be an issue. They have 4 senior clubs. Not sure how many intermediate or jnr but its pretty slim pickings. Always has been and always will be.

exactly ,huge potential in hurling , but for some reason they consider themselves a football county , they have more the 4 clubs hurling by the way , limerick have only 12 senior clubs for example

IT Carlow narrowly missed out on a fitzgibbon this year with several carlow players on board

Huge potential? Nowhere near the top counties and i cant see that changing.

I heard only one Carlow player on that Carlow IT team.

Huge potential? Nowhere near the top counties and i cant see that changing.

I heard only one Carlow player on that Carlow IT team.

you do know Dublin were getting bigger hammerings less then 15 years ago , there is the same number of senior teams in laois as there is in clare , i believe there is more meath senior hurling teams then waterford , numbers mean little its about coaching and in fairness they are going the right way

laois are the same they have a better chance of operating at the top scale at hurling then football with the potential they have at the moment

It's a culture issue as much as anything. Carlow has no culture of being succesful at top tier hurling. Neither has Meath so comparing them to Waterford makes no sense. It's hard to change a culture of losing or disinterest over a few years and try and compete with the likes of Kilkenny, Cork and Tipp who have it coursing through their veins. A few good coaches cannot change that especially when the numbers are so small.

I applaud all the hard work being done in Carlow and Westmeath but i'm not sure they'll ever bridge that gap to the top teams. They could just as easily fall away badly again as get closer to the big teams.

Laois small bit different. They used to always have decent teams in 70s and 80s and would regularly push Offaly, Wexford and Kilkenny close so the culture of competing against the top teams in Leinster has always been there so id be hopeful they can be competetive. Just dont think Carlow or Westmeath will.

you do know Dublin were getting bigger hammerings less then 15 years ago , there is the same number of senior teams in laois as there is in clare , i believe there is more meath senior hurling teams then waterford , numbers mean little its about coaching and in fairness they are going the right way

laois are the same they have a better chance of operating at the top scale at hurling then football with the potential they have at the moment

Dubs have a hurling culture going back to the 1961 All Ire final and long before when they were unlucky to be beaten by one point by a great Tipperary side.

Dublin should have won 1991 Leinster final unlucky to lose to Kilkenny. Dubs have always had decent teams. Got a few hammerings and had some barren years but Dublin hurlers are no Carlow.

It's a culture issue as much as anything. Carlow has no culture of being succesful at top tier hurling. Neither has Meath so comparing them to Waterford makes no sense. It's hard to change a culture of losing or disinterest over a few years and try and compete with the likes of Kilkenny, Cork and Tipp who have it coursing through their veins. A few good coaches cannot change that especially when the numbers are so small.

I applaud all the hard work being done in Carlow and Westmeath but i'm not sure they'll ever bridge that gap to the top teams. They could just as easily fall away badly again as get closer to the big teams.

Laois small bit different. They used to always have decent teams in 70s and 80s and would regularly push Offaly, Wexford and Kilkenny close so the culture of competing against the top teams in Leinster has always been there so id be hopeful they can be competetive. Just dont think Carlow or Westmeath will.

there was no culture of hurling in dublin really 15 years ago ,Humphrey kelleher was doing great work in the background at the time now there is an expectancy to perform at a certain level in dublin

it can be the same for any county if the interest is there

• Advertisement

Kavanagh would indeed get his place on any team and is exactly the sort of player Dublin badly need.

Was terrible conditions which favoured the bigger and more physical side. Kenny is obviously looking for a bit of muscle up front which has been lacking but that doesn't cut any mustard really against the best teams. You need craft as well and we have been lacking that since likes of Dotsy left. A small man but brave as fk and clever.

Kavanagh would indeed get his place on any team and is exactly the sort of player Dublin badly need.

Was terrible conditions which favoured the bigger and more physical side. Kenny is obviously looking for a bit of muscle up front which has been lacking but that doesn't cut any mustard really against the best teams. You need craft as well and we have been lacking that since likes of Dotsy left. A small man but brave as fk and clever.

Yep, Dotsy rarely seem to loose the ball stupidly, and ball the right ball more often than not. When the Dublin players have to scoop the sliothar off the ground that is when they are shown up compared to the likes of KK and Tipp I find. The traditional hurling counties make that look easy second nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Busy day Saturday lads, Parnell for the U20 semifinal against them lot before the double header in Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I agree with some of the comments above. It is difficult to see Laois, Westmeath or Carlow dine at the top table. Antrim would be the county that I could see break into the Top 10. I am always amazed how they haven't pushed on considering how good their top clubs are.

If Dublin can't compete with the big boys at the business end of the year there is no way anyone else will.

We missed our chance in 2013/

Speaking of 2013, Eir have showed the final again. Eight goals and 3 - 3 from O'Donnell who hadnt even been down to start!

Would Dublin have competed in that final had we beaten Cork? All academic of course and not suggesting for a minute that we were badly done by in semi final,, but I reckon we might have done.

Was great few years all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

D9Male wrote: »
    I agree with some of the comments above. It is difficult to see Laois, Westmeath or Carlow dine at the top table. Antrim would be the county that I could see break into the Top 10. I am always amazed how they haven't pushed on considering how good their top clubs are.

Same problem as Armagh in Football I think, club rivalry is so intense in Antrim the county team suffers for it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Speaking of 2013, Eir have showed the final again. Eight goals and 3 - 3 from O'Donnell who hadnt even been down to start!

Would Dublin have competed in that final had we beaten Cork? All academic of course and not suggesting for a minute that we were badly done by in semi final,, but I reckon we might have done.

Its funny how far away 2013 is now, we really managed to squander all that momentum Daly built, three years sticking with Cunningham when he was obviously a complete failure after the first year, a year of false hope with Gilroy and now this fluting around with Kenny who I think us at nothing

Competed? Would have fancied us beating Clare. We probably would have been underdogs. Nice place to be in a final. 50/50 game. Big pressure on Clare. Dalo with the inside info and knowing the Clare 'psyche'. Unfortunately we'll never know.

Have all the games recorded on Eir and actually watched first 20 minutes of the 2013 final earlier. The Shane O Donnell show.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Same problem as Armagh in Football I think, club rivalry is so intense in Antrim the county team suffers for it

What club rivalry in Armagh? Crossmaglen have won 99% of titles in last two decades or something like that. Not similiar to Antrim hurling at all. There are 3 or 4 equally strong hurling clubs in Antrim who have a good spread of county titles. What hampers Antrim hurkers is geography and not being surrounded by 'hurling' counties. Even getting good challenge matches can be a difficulty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement