Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Great save with his face there. I'd say that one stung. He's done very well tonight with that sieve like defense in front of him.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Bambi wrote: »
    At least Fitzgerald can install some resolution and spine in his teams, unlike Kenny. I knew going into the last 10 the players were going to **** themselves and **** themselves they did. Body language said it all

Don't know about that Bambi. I'm not sure even Davyboy could instill a winning mentality in that lot. Too many players just retreat into their shells at the wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

JRant wrote: »
    Don't know about that Bambi. I'm not sure even Davyboy could instill a winning mentality in that lot. Too many players just retreat into their shells at the wrong time.

There was a time when Wexford were prone to that too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Lucky goal but will take it. Should be game over.

Bambi wrote: »
    There was a time when Wexford were prone to that too

The problem isn't that we're prone to that, it's that it's completely the norm and has been for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 gaelar29

Deegan is buying what they are selling though.
    One lad went down holding his head when Fitzsimmons tried to slap the ball out of his hands.

Bit like Small did there after taking McHugh out of it!!!!

gaelar29 wrote: »
    Bit like Small did there after taking McHugh out of it!!!!

He was ran into after laying off the ball, hardly a dive FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 gaelar29

He was ran into after laying off the ball, hardly a dive FFS.

LOL.... Whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Had to leave Croke Park at half time son had an accident! Heard we won anyway was it a good half or?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Horrible team to play and watch with their antics. Always nice beating them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Fantastic win. How many times can you say that about one team? I don't know how they do it or where they get the relentless hunger from but isn't it blessed that we have these warriors representing us lads? And on we go on this run of incredulity. Simply outrageous. Long may it continue.

Fantastic win. How many times can you say that about one team? I don't know how they do it or where they get the relentless hunger from but isn't it blessed that we have these warriors representing us lads? And on we go on this run of incredulity. Simply outrageous. Long may it continue.

If Dessie doesn't sort out these slow starts it won't continue for much longer. Can't keep dipping into the well every single week.

If Dessie doesn't sort out these slow starts it won't continue for much longer. Can't keep dipping into the well every single week.

Been doing it for 6 years now and we're still standing. Once there's water in the well these men will keep dipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Some of the shots they’re taking on are very un-Dublin.

I noticed this tonight. Seemed to take the shot on a lot earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

One run from Aaron Byrne tonight from just outside the Donegal D to near our own endline typified the attitude tonight.

Great win in the end. Though we were brutal in the first half.

The lack of any pattern to our play is worrying though.

It's not a recent issue that we are starting games slowly. We have nearly always been slow starters in big games under Jim. Mayo raced ahead of us many times if i remember correctly. That epic game v Kerry. The league final v Cork. Lots of other league games. Tyrone raced into a 05 v 0-1 lead in All Ire final. It has been happening years. That's how this run is outrageous. Miraculous nearly the amount of times the opposition have been reeled in and pipped at the post. You would get odds of 10,000,000/1 to come out the right side of all these last 5 years victories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Some of the defending from Dublin was brutal tonight. 2 on 1 a few times.
    Keeper kept us in it good game for him.
    Still only getting fitness back.

Top of the table

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Never been so frustrated by a loss in my life.

Dublin were clearly the better team for 60 minutes. Dillon looking sharp, Sean Moran cleaning up on the 65 and using possession well. Wexford starting to force the issue and coughing up errors. Then inexplicably with a numerical advantage Dublin fall back trying to hold the lead. Wexford are allowed to build attacks from the back and they take the initiative. I mean ffs Mattie Kenny. The exact same thing happened last year against these fellas in the championship. THE EXACT SAME THING. ****ing take the game to them. Its not the players deciding to drop off either. There was a clear shift to a zonal structure and we got lost.

Ref was terrible for both sides. Croke Park in an unusual move seemed to show a lot of replays of the frees he gave and nearly every one was a joke. He loved giving defenders a free out. Attack breaks down defender wins the ball. Free out. Doesn't matter if there's a tackle or not. Free out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Been doing it for 6 years now and we're still standing. Once there's water in the well these men will keep dipping.
    I noticed this tonight. Seemed to take the shot on a lot earlier.

I think it is the start slow slide into mediocrity! Obviously it must be because the funding was cut or something! :rolleyes:

Seriously though I have noticed a trend experience and nous seems to get Dublin over the line these days. It is almost a muscle memory thing.
    I think Donegal are a good call for Sam this year when everyone is fit they have very little weaknesses. They depend a fierce amount on Murphy though and thier bench is a bit light imo

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Story with Dias parachuting in last minute (not on programme panel). Fair enough hes playing with kilmacud and had a good championship run but last togged out county in 2012?
    There's plenty of young lads putting their hands up and we're calling up old panel players like Rory O'Carroll etc

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    Never been so frustrated by a loss in my life.

Dublin were clearly the better team for 60 minutes. Dillon looking sharp, Sean Moran cleaning up on the 65 and using possession well. Wexford starting to force the issue and coughing up errors. Then inexplicably with a numerical advantage Dublin fall back trying to hold the lead. Wexford are allowed to build attacks from the back and they take the initiative. I mean ffs Mattie Kenny. The exact same thing happened last year against these fellas in the championship. THE EXACT SAME THING. ****ing take the game to them. Its not the players deciding to drop off either. There was a clear shift to a zonal structure and we got lost.

Ref was terrible for both sides. Croke Park in an unusual move seemed to show a lot of replays of the frees he gave and nearly every one was a joke. He loved giving defenders a free out. Attack breaks down defender wins the ball. Free out. Doesn't matter if there's a tackle or not. Free out.

They said on the radio the ref gave 50 frees! That even left Davy Fitz speechless. Oh and 2 reds and 13 yellows!

It was a real annoying loss, felt like going home after it! Unfortunately that just seems to be in the team somewhere or other. Hardly won any ball for the last 20 minutes. Could have been a different story if Boland kept the head in front of goal.

BKWDR wrote: »
    Story with Dias parachuting in last minute (not on programme panel). Fair enough hes playing with kilmacud and had a good championship run but last togged out county in 2012?
    There's plenty of young lads putting their hands up and we're calling up old panel players like Rory O'Carroll etc

I think is because Dias is versatile and has good technique maybe that is why Dessie brought him back? Rory O'Carroll is a strange one though, I think he is very leggy these days and gets caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

They said on the radio the ref gave 50 frees! That even left Davy Fitz speechless. Oh and 2 reds and 13 yellows!

It was a real annoying loss, felt like going home after it! Unfortunately that just seems to be in the team somewhere or other. Hardly won any ball for the last 20 minutes. Could have been a different story if Boland kept the head in front of goal.

McDonalds was deserved. Dirty swipe. Didn't see the other 'incident' that resulted in the second yellow for the Wexford player. Eoghan O'Donnells first yellow was because the Wexford player kept pushing him in the chest. I watched it. He didn't react but still got booked. His second was down to the Wexford player trying to act the maggot and epically failing. They targeted him and got him sent off. Brilliant performance up until that point for O'Donnell. He was too fast and too strong for each man he marked. Won almost every ball that came near him.

One run from Aaron Byrne tonight from just outside the Donegal D to near our own endline typified the attitude tonight.

Great win in the end. Though we were brutal in the first half.

The lack of any pattern to our play is worrying though.

You hit the nail on the head there, the team seems more off the cuff stuff, and liable o make mistakes. Bits of Dublin circa 2014 seem to be reappearing shot selection and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Identity and playing style still an issue for Dublin and Farrell

Fitness levels and athleticism is another level though

1 more win should see Dublin into a league final as the meath game will be a dead duck

Same issue with Dublin hurlers, mentally fragile

That game should have been seen out...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

corny wrote: »
    McDonalds was deserved. Dirty swipe. Didn't see the other 'incident' that resulted in the second yellow for the Wexford player. Eoghan O'Donnells first yellow was because the Wexford player kept pushing him in the chest. I watched it. He didn't react but still got booked. His second was down to the Wexford player trying to act the maggot and epically failing. They targeted him and got him sent off. Brilliant performance up until that point for O'Donnell. He was too fast and too strong for each man he marked. Won almost every ball that came near him.

He was excellent cleaned up from a neutral perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I think is because Dias is versatile and has good technique maybe that is why Dessie brought him back? Rory O'Carroll is a strange one though, I think he is very leggy these days and gets caught out.

Like I said I've seen him play club and well but with a rake of young talent available it's kinda a backward step.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

You hit the nail on the head there, the team seems more off the cuff stuff, and liable o make mistakes. Bits of Dublin circa 2014 seem to be reappearing shot selection and so on.

I think the defence is the bigger worry.

Attack just needs a consistent selection

I think the defence is the bigger worry.

Attack just needs a consistent selection

Good point. It's three goals conceded in four games now. One in each of the three games and it could have been a lot more only for Comerford's last ditch saves. Comerford has been great this campaign the more I think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Good to get the 2 points but agree with others that the defence needs serious attention lucky not to have shipped more goals in matches to date . Nothing personal against Dias but seems a very odd call up reminds me of yesteryear with recalling the likes of big Joe etc really I thought we had moved on from that sort of thing .With only 4 or 5 matches left Dessie really needs to sort out his selections soon and not waste time with players that have not made the cut to date .On to omagh another tough game .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement