Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Ah heyor....

He's 30 years now, isn't he? He has over 10 years intercounty experience. He's not some raw 20 year old, who is just learning the ropes at this level, like that Flynn amadán in Mayo who has picked up 657 red cards this month alone.

Michael Murphy is what he is and he isn't still "learning" anything. Nor is he "a bit" reckless or accidentally coming in a bit "too late" in his tackles. At this stage of his career, he knows exactly what he is doing. He has form for those head high elbow charges. If it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck...etc etc

Fair play for admitting you thought he shudda walked earlier, but he still got to play for 60 more minutes. If he was any other player, he wouldn't have imo.

Can you compile a dossier of these challenges for us please. Sounds like we need to call a special convention to deal with them such is the immediate risk to Donegal’s next opponents.

Actually, the next two games are Monaghan and Tyrone so maybe wait till after we’ve clattered a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Michael Murphy receives a lot of punishment himself but is well able to handle himself and dish it out where necessary. He's been the main target of every opponent for over a decade so i dont see much wrong in him giving a bit back every now and then. I'm a Dub and have no problem saying Murphy is my favourite non Dublin player of last 10 years and if there was a transfer system in the GAA id break the bank to have acquired his services many years ago. Pound for pound is there anyone better? A true giant of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Michael Murphy receives a lot of punishment himself but is well able to handle himself and dish it out where necessary. He's been the main target of every opponent for over a decade so i dont see much wrong in him giving a bit back every now and then. I'm a Dub and have no problem saying Murphy is my favourite non Dublin player of last 10 years and if there was a transfer system in the GAA id break the bank to have acquired his services many years ago. Pound for pound is there anyone better? A true giant of the game.

Well said. Every top player gets dogs abuse. It's what being a top player is all about. And if you come at them you better be able to take it back. Micheal Murphy has played God knows how many inter county games at this stage and the dangerous incidents I'd say can be counted on one hand yet were hearing "consistently" and "at it every game". Our own King Joe is a prime example. Plays the game the way it should be played. Come at him though and you'll know all about it. And unfortunately has dished out a couple of blows that like Murphy I'm sure he could take take back. It happens. I don't think their are many hachet men walking around the inter county scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Well said. Every top player gets dogs abuse. It's what being a top player is all about. And if you come at them you better be able to take it back. Micheal Murphy has played God knows how many inter county games at this stage and the dangerous incidents I'd say can be counted on one hand yet were hearing "consistently" and "at it every game". Our own King Joe is a prime example. Plays the game the way it should be played. Come at him though and you'll know all about it. And unfortunately has dished out a couple of blows that like Murphy I'm sure he could take take back. It happens. I don't think their are many hachet men walking around the inter county scene.

Yep Dublin won nothing till they learnt a bit of the dark arts / playing on the edge themselves. Cooper, Philly, Ger Brennan, John Small etc.
    Dublin were winning feck all, when there was the soft underbelly in the team.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

D9Male wrote: »
    I haven't played to a particularly high level (I was a better soccer player), and I don't think anybody I played with would describe me as "dirty". But I have surely done worse than Murphy did on Saturday night. You often go in with the intent of "going in hard" and "letting him know you're there". And the next thing you have clobbered somebody. Hopefully in the shoulder or arse or somewhere that doesn't make you "disgusting". Quite often when getting tackled you get a punch in the head and you think that you're not going to let that <expletive> away next time when you're tackling him. My reading of it was that Murphy went

This is not to say that Murphy shouldn't have been sent off. He absolutely should have. The authorities are correct to clamp down on this. Eventually players will be reprogrammed to stop doing it. But I don't judge him for the challenge other than thinking he is a bit reckless and learning slowly.

Well he’s 30, so if he’s that slow a learner he should be getting some sort of remedial help... either way the color of the card should have been red, the challenge warranted a red card, he’s a wreckless player. What I’ve noticed about him is usually in a game in the first minute or two he leaves a calling card on an opposition player, usually also the way of the referee is because it happens just after the game starts it’s a warning either a warning instead of a yellow, or yellow instead of a red.... he did something similar in 2016 against Dublin.... you hear some people “ahhh he’s just getting up to the speed of the game”.... show me where it says that in the rules that leeway for ‘getting up to speed’ can absolve you from being sent off or carded, that’s bugged the shît out of me for years, ,referees need a hot cup of cop on, standard is pretty average at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Slattsy wrote: »
    I'd agree with a lot of this, and certainly when i was playing i'd always have been of the mindset of 'make that first hit count'. Sure everyone has been told to let your opponent know "you're there".

But this leads us nicely to the bolded part.

How many times has MM been involved in reckless, head high challenges? Its not like Saturday was the first time and he's being hounded for one error of judgement.
    It's happening so consistently, that you have to say he's going out deliberately trying to injure players, and as such he's correctly being called out on it.

I wouldn't say that he is necessarily deliberately trying to injure players.

Rather, like Aidan O'Shea, he has never put any thought or work into how he tackles in order not to injure people. Tackling properly in a way that is not likely to cause unnecessary injury is something that needs to be worked on. There is no evidence that Murphy has done anything to correct his way of tackling at any time over the last few years, and for that, he or his coaches should be held accountable.

I think there is a reasonable conclusion that if not going deliberately to injure he is deliberately going to ‘hurt’ and ‘leave one on’ his opponent, a marker if you like, is it psychologically done to have an impact or to physically injure ? Either way regardless of the nature of the intent it doesn’t matter, it’s a red card, swinging your fist/forearm with force around or into somebody’s neck, face or head is a red card. It happens all too often with him, it’s not one instance, regardless of intent that sort of challenge isn’t good and could lead to somebody picking up a serious injury...

We don’t want to remove competitiveness or the physicality from the game but players swinging fists and forearms like it’s WWE time and from behind too no less isn’t something to encourage in the sport. As I said, he has form for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Ah leave him alone or we'll have the Michael Murphy fan club back to talk about the poor wee lamb. Nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Slattsy wrote: »
    Ah leave him alone or we'll have the Michael Murphy fan club back to talk about the poor wee lamb. Nothing to see here.

We tried to book a room but it was already taken by the John Small appreciation society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

blanch152 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that he is necessarily deliberately trying to injure players.

Rather, like Aidan O'Shea, he has never put any thought or work into how he tackles in order not to injure people. Tackling properly in a way that is not likely to cause unnecessary injury is something that needs to be worked on. There is no evidence that Murphy has done anything to correct his way of tackling at any time over the last few years, and for that, he or his coaches should be held accountable.

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

We tried to book a room but it was already taken by the John Small appreciation society.

Bit of a departure for Small to follow Murphy. They normally get him to 'do a job' on McHugh.

First and last time i think. He had a terrible game marking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Can you compile a dossier of these challenges for us please. Sounds like we need to call a special convention to deal with them such is the immediate risk to Donegal’s next opponents.

Actually, the next two games are Monaghan and Tyrone so maybe wait till after we’ve clattered a few of them.

Yep. I'll provide a dossier for you, provided you give me the template for all the dossiers you apparently keep for each & every opposition player you talk about on Boards. Insert eye roll here
    >

Look, we get it. He's your talisman. Your Gooch, your Wee Peter, your Henry Shefflin & your Joe Canning all rolled into one. You don't like it when he is criticized & you'll defend him when he is.

Doesn't change the fact that he has a hard, nasty edge, that as another poster pointed out, he shows early in games, as he knows he won't get a straight red that early. Not an uncommon occurrence, across all counties, it must be said.

We have several players of our own, with hard, nasty edges & we wouldn't swap them for the world. Without them, we wouldn't have won the 2 in a row, never mind the 5 in a row. Most of us have no problem admitting that, even though we hate the shyte they have to put up with, the name calling, the "scumbag" and "thug" etc etc comments. Which is why it's so annoying when MM gets a completely free ride from the media, for doing largely the same stuff.

That won't change just because his own county men (understandably) can not or will not look at him in the same light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

ProudDUB wrote:
    Doesn't change the fact that he has a hard, nasty edge, that as another poster pointed out, he shows early in games, as he knows he won't get a straight red that early. Not an uncommon occurrence, across all counties, it must be said.

Everything you say is true but Michael Murphy not getting a red card has nothing to do with Michael Murphy.

It shouldn’t matter if it’s minute 3 of a game, minute 63 of a game or 73 for that matter, if the challenge warrants an action by the referee, it should be as per the rules, actioned.... there is no small print about getting treated leniently because of the clock, nothing about how nice you been all game...

Exactly one year to the day of the game, Johnny Horan was advocating taking a stronger zero tolerance approach to on pitch violence, which I think that ‘challenge’ would fairly fall under...

......GAA President, John Horan, says the Association needs to take a zero tolerance approach to acts of violence on GAA pitches.

Not only does he believe that players who engage in them should be adequately punished, he is also adamant that the culture of covering up for them in committee rooms also needs to be eradicated.

https://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-to-take-zero-tolerance-approach-to-on-pitch-violence/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You need to be careful with the old insults, you might not have an appropriate one for a lad who eye gouges an opponent or a lad who fractures someone's eye socket in an unprovoked attack.
    Stick to booing opposition freetakers from the hill, you are less likely to be called out on your behaviour by those around you.

Uh oh.

We're the boo boys again.

I'm sure it would be commented upon if another county were to do it... I'm definitely sure... Yup...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Strumms wrote: »
    It shouldn’t matter if it’s minute 3 of a game, minute 63 of a game or 73 for that matter, if the challenge warrants an action by the referee, it should be as per the rules, actioned.... there is no small print about getting treated leniently because of the clock, nothing about how nice you been all game...

Exactly one year to the day of the game, Johnny Horan was advocating taking a stronger zero tolerance approach to on pitch violence, which I think that ‘challenge’ would fairly fall under...

......GAA President, John Horan, says the Association needs to take a zero tolerance approach to acts of violence on GAA pitches.

Not only does he believe that players who engage in them should be adequately punished, he is also adamant that the culture of covering up for them in committee rooms also needs to be eradicated.

https://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-to-take-zero-tolerance-approach-to-on-pitch-violence/

Nicholas Murphy called...

I completely agree here. I hate when aspects of a game are discarded or even over-egged because of when they happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Nicholas Murphy called...

I completely agree here. I hate when aspects of a game are discarded or even over-egged because of when they happen.

Even when Kennelly admitted it in his book he still tried to deny it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So wonder will there be any doubts about the game going ahead up north now?

So wonder will there be any doubts about the game going ahead up north now?

There’s hardly any point in cancelling anything now.

There’s hardly any point in cancelling anything now.

Well whatever happens It might affect attendance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well whatever happens It might affect attendance.

Weather will be more of a factor.

Definitely rain between now and then which could affect the pitch.

Definite wind-storm for journey back and possibly snow which could affect attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Wife told me they're saying on FB that a final inspection tomorrow morning and if it fails, most likely Pomeroy on Sunday afternoon😩

Hope not, I've a room booked in Omagh and hope to be at home on Sunday afternoon.
    Too late to cancel the Silver Birch now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Statement from Omagh, ' match is still on for Healy Park and unlikely to change'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Wonder if this match tonight is certain to go ahead as usual lots of rumours doing the rounds would really need to know for sure around lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Supposed to piss rain for the day in Omagh :(

Be wetter than an otters pocket before even getting to the ground.

Pitch inspected passed so all good!

Also for anyone watching on the telly because the Mayo Kerry game is cancelled till tomorrow Rte are showing the Dublin match instead!

Basquel bursts the net after two minutes. Even the poxy weather couldn't stop that one!

10 minutes gone and only a single score. The weather is making for a seriously poor game.

Looking at the pitch cutting up badlly, small pockets of puddles and a howling wind, how the hell has this game gone ahead? Rubbish conditions for players and supporters alike. You wouldn't put a dog out in it and nobody benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

aw man this game is some comedy with the wind, balls that were on target end up going 30 metres wide once a gust gets hold of it. Cant believe it went ahead in an orange weather warning

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement