Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

DDC1990 wrote: »
    If there is internet out there you could use Now Tv. €10 for the day or €15 for the week.

Aye. We have access to Sky Go. But the likelihood hood of 4g connection of use is unlikely. Looks like I'll be mainlanding in the 4 o'clock ferry. Watching second half of Tyrone v Armagh and then first half of Dublin V Monaghan and back to cape clear on the 7 o'clock ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The old man was from there we were NCR and Cabra. I had a couple of houses there in the past and still plenty of family there , my friends growing up were from there.

I always liked the area, lots of cowtowners on the navan road and D15 now.

Went to school there and our club was centered there too.

There was always a lot of culchies there, it was a strange place growing up, there was a pub at the end of arbour hill that was known as the culchie pub, the owner wouldn't serve Jackeens, I don't know anyone who was ever in it but nobody cared either, people understood it and were less precious about such things then.

Way before that it was about the biggest slum in Dublin after the blackpitts. I like seeing it being cleaned up. Whatever people say about it or what they pretend now it's the oldest part of Dublin.
    No harm in a few coffee shops opening up I've eaten in them all and they were all nice. I'd rather that than it falling down.

But I've seen huge changes and from how it changed form my old man to me was savage as it was for his old man again. There were whole clusters and horseshoe's of houses at the end of Grangegorman and Brunswick Street when my old man was a kid that I never saw,

We use to have our scraps on red cow lane leading to Smithfield and all around Paul Street. Some of those streets are completely gone now, all the houses on Paul Street have apartments on them, they were good people from around there but they've moved away.

They whole cattle market is gone, I'd say few areas of Dublin have changed as much as Stoneybatter it's part of the place. I'd say over half of the houses and buildings I passed on the way to school are gone. Brunswick Street is completely redeveloped by our friend L Carroll's and his apartment blocks, Smithfield rebuild it's all changed there and unfortunately feck all them care about the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

When can we expect team news?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

blanch152 wrote: »
    Does it not count as abroad?

You could get it on GAAgo........

Peoples Republic of....

Ruled over by a ruthless dictator since de Valera's time.

Dodgy local cuisine. (I mean tripe and drisheen..WTF ! :confused: )

Impenetrable accent...

Touchy locals...

Next door to a Kingdom of Ancient Lore and Legend

Full of superposh, ex Pat Brits.

It pretty much ticks all the boxes, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Interesting post Stoner. Stoneybatter is indeed one of oldest parts of the city. One of the five roads to Tara ran down what is now Ratoath Road and I think through what is now Manor Street. Was called Slí Cualann I think, not to be confused with the Wicklow Way one at present.

• Advertisement

My favourite pub in the whole wide Dublin is in Stoneybatter!

Fablis post Stoner !

Apologies for the size of what is about to follow.

(Now, now...get her minds oura the gutter, fer once in yer lives...)

DGaWHEFXkAA0jS9.jpg

Jack Flash named in the half forwards. I've been calling that for years! Way ahead of the game me.

McCarthy back in midfield though. Interesting.

Cooper straight back in.

Though BB would start, surprised Andrews has kept his spot.

All in all, probably a dummy team and I've wasted 60 seconds of my life typing the above.

• Advertisement

Not a hope in hell that team will start ! :rolleyes:

Putting Jack Flash in the half forward line negates his biggest asset imo....his speed.

Just seen Cian in at full back.

Crazy team! Jeepers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell that team will start ! :rolleyes:

Putting Jack Flash in the half forward line negates his biggest asset imo....his speed.

Ah I don't know - they're only numbers on a jersey not necessarily their positions on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Obviously if you replace BB for Small (i think the most likely switch) the team can line out as normal with positional switches.

Wonder why the subterfuge though? Too blatant to be clever. Might be a double bluff for semi final and final. As in Dublin might actually line out like that when the heat is on.

Subs named?

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Ah I don't know - they're only numbers on a jersey not necessarily their positions on the pitch

True 'dat.

Am I the only one to think its time for Mannion to either $hit or get off the pot, as a starter in the Dublin full forward line? Even allowing for the year away in China, it's been 4 years now since he was handed the starting jersey for the champo, on the back of a strong league & u21 campaign. If he is keeping stalwarts like Berno and Kev Mc on the bench, or getting selected ahead of the likes of McHugh, Costello etc, it's time to start making Jim's faith in him count, with consistant performances. Popping up with the odd goal here and there, with not much in between, ain't really enough imo.

Thought Mannion has been very good so far in both games.

He was a skinny lad starting off, toughened up now, must have an extra stone or two on board.

I think this year is the year to rate/judge him on, when it's all done and dusted to see how he's performed, not the previous years.

Slattsy wrote:
    I think this year is the year to rate/judge him on, when it's all done and dusted to see how he's performed, not the previous years.

He did stick a goal the last day only for it to be called back, his form is decent I think but I agree he has to keep it going.

He is a good goal scorer, he's two U21 titles where he scored the winning goal.

He came back a different man last year. I agree that he's a starter.

Folks, does anyone know what the parking situ is on Monday, on Clonliffe Rd, it being a Bank Holiday? Parking is usually only free on Sundays, but are bank holidays treated like Sundays when it comes to parking, or will it be considered a "normal" Monday and you have to pay to park there.

I have to leave the car there all day for work & I don't want to come back and find myself clamped or ticketed. I can usually park at work, but it's not available due to the match being on in Croker. Cheers !

Edit: Never mind. Got me answer. It is free on bank holidays.

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-parking-dublin/how-use-pay-and-display

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Folks, does anyone know what the parking situ is on Monday, on Clonliffe Rd, it being a Bank Holiday? Parking is usually only free on Sundays, but are bank holidays treated like Sundays when it comes to parking, or will it be considered a "normal" Monday and you have to pay to park there.

I have to leave the car there all day for work & I don't want to come back and find myself clamped or ticketed. I can usually park at work, but it's not available due to the match being on in Croker. Cheers !

Not sure on the parking ProudDub, but just be aware that the Garda are telling everyone to stay away from the city centre due to the matches and some extra road closures because of the Luas works. It's going to be mental all over the place.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Not sure on the parking ProudDub, but just be aware that the Garda are telling everyone to stay away from the city centre due to the matches and some extra road closures because of the Luas works. It's going to be mental all over the place.

Judging by the northern traffic heading down M1 at this early stage I'm going to have to be on my toes by lunchtime today. I remember the Tyrone/Armagh Ulster final in Croker and the traffic backed up to Donabate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Does anyone have any ideas on when a replay should take place if there is any draws?

Don't worry about it Donal. We won't be playing Mayo until the final. Worry about it later. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Some very interesting positional choices today. Mannion played half back in the second half. Lowndes played half forward and the set up on the opposition kick outs didn't make sense to me at all. They were challenging Beggan to clip it into the gap between forwards and midfield. He did it without bother. I mean it wasn't challenging them at all was it. What was the point?

O'Callaghan, Mannion and Fenton (best game in a while) did well. O'Callaghan covers a serious amount of ground. I hope the younger lads aren't discarded now that Flynn, Connolly and MDM are ready to go.

McMahon and Andrews are doing well to hang onto their places. McMahon is too loose with his marking. He's been like that all season.

Well that was interesting.

Thought Mannion was good today, very strong
    Fenton was good
    Second good day of shot stopping from Cluxton in a row
    Rock contributed well from play
    Great first game back for Cooper
    Thought O'Sullivan performed well
    O'Callaghan grew into it.
    O'Gara won everything played into him

Not great for Brogan

Good to have time served for MDMA and Flynn

I liked the width of the team Monaghan were stretched and it allowed some space

I'm still deciding on how good we were or how bad they were.

corny wrote:
    McMahon and Andrews are doing well to hang onto their places. McMahon is too loose with his marking. He's been like that all season.

I thought Andrews was busy today

Normally it's Dublin that stroll into the semis without being tested / undercook and susceptible to being caught on the hop. But this year Tyrone are also in the same boat, which I'm glad of.

Will comment on match when I sober up a bit.

2 of the most dominant displays in defending that I've witnessed in a very long time. The tenacity of the tackling and physicality of the hits was a joy to watch. Both Tyrone and Dublin completely bullied their opposition.

For all the football that's played in the first 6 months of the year, the discussion and debate around dark horses and great players from the lesser teams, yesterday and to a certain extent Kerry last weekend was a stark reminder that latter end championship football at the highest level is a completely different animal. It's played at a standard that very few teams can attain.

It's too soon for me to contemplate how the 27th will pan out. But I've a feeling Dublin will ate Tyrone (just in case Jayop drops in :D) ..

DoctaDee wrote:
    It's too soon for me to contemplate how the 27th will pan out. But I've a feeling Dublin will ate Tyrone (just in case Jayop drops in ) ..

I love your confidence.

Stoner wrote: »
    I love your confidence.

I just left the worm dangling, Jayop doesn't strike me as a trout that you can tickle out of the water :D

I was hugely impressed with Tyrone against a very limited team, their speed of transition was fantastic - did McCarron get a straight red? I was having a yak with the lad beside me and missed the incident, he'll be a big loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I just left the worm dangling, Jayop doesn't strike me as a trout that you can tickle out of the water :D

I was hugely impressed with Tyrone against a very limited team, their speed of transition was fantastic - did McCarron get a straight red? I was having a yak with the lad beside me and missed the incident, he'll be a big loss

Second yellow, got the first about two minutes beforehand I think

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement