Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

corny wrote: »
    So Connolly or any of the other returning established lads to start against Tyrone?

I know its always tough for Gavin to pick a team but this one will be particularly brutal.

Not sure any of the subs played their way on the team for the next day. However, I look forward to the roar if Dermo comes on as a sub against Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

O'Gara and Flynn scored a point each. Bernie was scoreless. Unusually low return from over an hour's game time for three attacking subs. McAuley was excellent when he came in.

I had thought Mannion had not been great until watched the recording at home. He's probably kept his place. Andrews started well but not a certainty. Callaghan didn't match his scoring heroics of last day, but did pile of work. Can see him back in full forward.

A lot of the team selection obviously depends on training as well as matches and I suspect DC will not start, but be huge asset to bring on if needs be.

One area I'd be concerned about is Tyrone's ability to attack down the centre. They have some pace coming forward, and Dublin have been slightly vulnerable in that sector at times. If they can curb that, they will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

O'Gara while he might not start, he's shown he's in good form and might test the Tyrone back line.

We might see him play, parked on the goal line with a forward at each flag, I think Dublin will rotate this system as a sub plot to the keep ball game we've seen where they patiently wait for a break.

However I don't expect O'Gara to start

I think Tyrone will focus on Kilkenny, he's capable of dictating things for the Dubs, he has the discipline to rotate the play over and over.

I think he's become Dublin's most important player and jt will be extremely important that he plays well if we have a chance of beating Tyrone.
    I don't think we'll ever see Connelly take the ball off him again on the side line like we did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is days like this I miss MayoareMagic :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

It is days like this I miss MayoareMagic :D

Hasnt been seen since he was told not to post in this thread.

Says it all. Sad man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Slattsy wrote: »
    Hasnt been seen since he was told not to post in this thread.

Says it all. Sad man.

Probably massaging Aidan's ego as we speak....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'm just going to sit back and watch as Kerry are going to be falling all over themselves, to bang on about how fabulous and skillfull and all kinds of wonderful Mayo are.

After having written them off all summer.

It will be very entertaining.

The Tyrone crowd will be very matter of fact about playing us. They'll be just "The Dubs. Meh. Whatever."

T'will be no craic at all, at all, at all.

Thankfully, we have the bastion of bolloxollogy and bull$hit, to keep us all royally entertained for the next 2 weeks.

Chocolate hobnob anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

yobr wrote: »
    Not sure any of the subs played their way on the team for the next day. However, I look forward to the roar if Dermo comes on as a sub against Tyrone.

A sub? Sure he's been flying in training the last eight weeks.

Connelly being out has been very good for Dublin IMO

People can focus their hatred on Johnny Cooper, Cillian O'Connor, Donaghy and County Tyrone now

I don't expect O'Callaghan to lose his place, I'm delighted with his contribution so far this year. He's a great understanding of half forward play and positioning and is possibly a natural

I wouldn't be surprised if Connelly started for Andrews as he plays well against Tyrone.

I think that for all Tyrone's improvement if the Dublin backs can apply pressure on the kickers 2010 and 2011 style then we'll have a great chance. I don't think it will be a master plan, more to do if they can apply that type of pressure.

I think Sludden will be their biggest threat and to get things moving with young Jayop I predict a levelling for Peter Harte from James McCarthy, Cunniffe style.

https://youtu.be/humAC8l9aFs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Up in 703 as a result of me availing of BaF. DAMMIT!

It was that or Davin 320... No thank you.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    Connelly being out has been very good for Dublin IMO

People can focus their hatred on Johnny Cooper, Cillian O'Connor, Donaghy and County Tyrone now

I don't expect O'Callaghan to lose his place, I'm delighted with his contribution so far this year. He's a great understanding of half forward play and positioning and is possibly a natural

I wouldn't be surprised if Connelly started for Andrews as he plays well against Tyrone.

I think that for all Tyrone's improvement if the Dublin backs can apply pressure on the kickers 2010 and 2011 style then we'll have a great chance. I don't think it will be a master plan, more to do if they can apply that type of pressure.

I think Sludden will be their biggest threat and to get things moving with young Jayop I predict a levelling for Peter Harte from James McCarthy, Cunniffe style.

https://youtu.be/humAC8l9aFs

Similarly we'll be trying to get pressure on your kickers which no one has done properly and the odd time they have done you've missed. Peter Harte has gotten a lot bigger and stronger in the last year. Bring it on.

I know it's all been league but correct me if I'm wrong, aren't our four last meetings a Dublin win, a Tyrone win and two draws?

Jayop wrote: »
    A sub? Sure he's been flying in training the last eight weeks.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can train with the panel when suspended?

I'd agree that his absence has been not altogether a bad thing. I doubt he will start next day.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can train with the panel when suspended?

I'd agree that his absence has been not altogether a bad thing. I doubt he will start next day.

He's not allowed to but come on. Tbf I've always said that bans including training is absolutely beyond stupid so if he's been training every session (he has) then fair play to him.

Jayop wrote:
    I know it's all been league but correct me if I'm wrong, aren't our four last meetings a Dublin win, a Tyrone win and two draws?

Can't remember Jayop. I remember the draw this year alright after that I'm not great, I would have been at the games, they are always close.

I'm in championship mode now. Harte was unfortunate in that tackle, could happen to anyone with that much of a run up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

When was the last time we played Tyrone in the Championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Slattsy wrote: »
    When was the last time we played Tyrone in the Championship?

2011 Slatts, it was probably the first indication that Dublin football was on a serious rise, that performance was a real encouragement (won by 7) Diarmuid made his mark big time

Just looking at my Twitter machine this morning and there's some ugly stories of the ticket resellers. If my understanding is correct ticketbastard is an authorised seller, sell at face value and they add their surcharge, they also have their touting site seatwave which is knocking out Nally tickets for a ton plus commission! ..

The GAA must be aware of this - who benefits from the extortionate commission seatwave apply?

DoctaDee wrote:
    2011 Slatts, it was probably the first indication that Dublin football was on a serious rise, that performance was a real encouragement (won by 7) Diarmuid made his mark big time

2010 was the marker no?

We beat them in 2010 and 2011. Pretty much the same deal in each game

Stoner wrote: »
    2010 was the marker no?

We beat them in 2010 and 2011. Pretty much the same deal in each game

I would've thought the 2010 was an excellent result alright, but we were only 2-3 games on from the Meath catastrophe so it was hard to be objective on where we rightly stood.

Jayop wrote: »
    He's not allowed to but come on. Tbf I've always said that bans including training is absolutely beyond stupid so if he's been training every session (he has) then fair play to him.

If he was training and that is known then he would face further sanctions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,188 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Just looking at my Twitter machine this morning and there's some ugly stories of the ticket resellers. If my understanding is correct ticketbastard is an authorised seller, sell at face value and they add their surcharge, they also have their touting site seatwave which is knocking out Nally tickets for a ton plus commission! ..

The GAA must be aware of this - who benefits from the extortionate commission seatwave apply?

Looks like there'll be legislation coming to put an end to that Seatwave scam. Not soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Noel Rock, (new FG sham) has been up on his soapbox about stopping touts for ages, presumably Leo marked his card about legislation that was coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If he was training and that is known then he would face further sanctions.
    “Diarmuid is around,” says Cooper. “Not around for everything, he’s involved in the training aspects, as in the on-field things. But then he’s on his own training programme with gym-based stuff and obviously keeping up his own conditioning. He’s obviously not going to get any game time, if we are to progress, so it’s just trying to stay at that level.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/diarmuid-connolly-training-with-dublin-despite-12-week-ban-1.3142366

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I would've thought the 2010 was an excellent result alright, but we were only 2-3 games on from the Meath catastrophe so it was hard to be objective on where we rightly stood.

2010 was the result that made me realise that we were on the up. You could finally see that Pat had the players in the right frame of mind, and with the right set up as well, even if it was way more defensive than before.

2011 was the result that made me realise that we could actually seriously win the All Ireland, if not 2011, then 2012. We were close to the right level. It was only 7 points, but it was far more comprehensive and comfortable. Even Mickey Hart said after the game that if he could have used 15 subs, he would have.

He hasn't been actively involved in structured training .. there's nothing preventing him from being invited to attend and watch

... and if he wanted to have a kick around elsewhere he's breaking no ban

CatInABox wrote: »
    2010 was the result that made me realise that we were on the up. You could finally see that Pat had the players in the right frame of mind, and with the right set up as well, even if it was way more defensive than before.

2011 was the result that made me realise that we could actually seriously win the All Ireland, if not 2011, then 2012. We were close to the right level. It was only 7 points, but it was far more comprehensive and comfortable. Even Mickey Hart said after the game that if he could have used 15 subs, he would have.

Yep very well put .. I'd also add the 2010 SF defeat to Cork ironically as an upward curve too -

keane2097 wrote: »

I am aware of what has been said and written, including this:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/se%C3%A1n-moran-is-gaa-careless-in-enforcing-suspensions-1.3143502

My point was that it is in breach of suspension rule. Moran, however, makes point that enforcement of this part of rule is almost never carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

CatInABox wrote: »

In 2010 after going out of the Leinster championship I heard a Dublin panelist saying he hoped they got Tyrone so that they'd be knocked out and he could go away on holidays! Amazing how the mindset changed from around then on. Said player is still involved and has had some great games over the past few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I am aware of what has been said and written, including this:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/se%C3%A1n-moran-is-gaa-careless-in-enforcing-suspensions-1.3143502

My point was that it is in breach of suspension rule. Moran, however, makes point that enforcement of this part of rule is almost never carried out.

Sorry when you said 'he would face further sanctions' I thought you meant he wouldn't be training because of it, when it seems he is.

I think the training ban is a bad rule anyway. It's some joke the way the GAA have this blind eye policy rather than just fixing rules they decide they don't like anymore.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Sorry when you said 'he would face further sanctions' I thought you meant he wouldn't be training because of it, when it seems he is.

I think the training ban is a bad rule anyway. It's some joke the way the GAA have this blind eye policy rather than just fixing rules they decide they don't like anymore.

That's how I picked him up too. I'd be convinced that Connolly is in full training like all other players. Probably before the Monaghan game he played for the B's in the A vs B games but I expect he's back for the A's now.

Dump the training ban as party of suspensions asap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement