Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

keane2097 wrote: »
    Sorry when you said 'he would face further sanctions' I thought you meant he wouldn't be training because of it, when it seems he is.

I think the training ban is a bad rule anyway. It's some joke the way the GAA have this blind eye policy rather than just fixing rules they decide they don't like anymore.

Wasn't too sure from what Cooper said whether he meant that DC was just "at" training, or whether he was participating in it, including presumably training matches, which by all accounts are at least the equivalent of most games Dublin play against other counties.

According to Moran, Davy Fitz attended Wexford training during his ban, as have other players. Apparently it would be up to county board rather than CP to discipline management over such a breach.

If Cooper did mean that DC was actively training in breach of the rule then it either displays lack of knowledge of it, or a peculiar sort of arrogance!

The ban on training and club hurling games, in DC's case, may be too strict, but it exists. Not sure too much is gained by being seen to flout it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Not sure there'd be much to be gained? From having your best player in full training before a semi final? Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Jayop wrote: »
    Not sure there'd be much to be gained? From having your best player in full training before a semi final? Eh?

I think he means by opening letting it be known that he's involved in training

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Wasn't too sure from what Cooper said whether he meant that DC was just "at" training, or whether he was participating in it, including presumably training matches, which by all accounts are at least the equivalent of most games Dublin play against other counties.

According to Moran, Davy Fitz attended Wexford training during his ban, as have other players. Apparently it would be up to county board rather than CP to discipline management over such a breach.

If Cooper did mean that DC was actively training in breach of the rule then it either displays lack of knowledge of it, or a peculiar sort of arrogance!

The ban on training and club hurling games, in DC's case, may be too strict, but it exists. Not sure too much is gained by being seen to flout it.

I didn't think there was much controversy at the time that Cooper meant he was training away. I figured Cooper didn't realise there was any issue, which there hasn't been really.

There were a few grumbles on the Kerry forum around the fact that Nicky Brennan personally rang Paul Galvin in 2008 to tell him to stop training with Kerry (:rolleyes:) but I don't think I have seen anyone who thinks there should be any action about it or anything.

Realistically any team/player in this situation are going to keep the guy training until told not to, the GAA are not going to check, Connolly and others should train away and we should change the rule at the end of the year and be done with it.

munster87 wrote: »
    I think he means by opening letting it be known that he's involved in training

Nobody cares. Like literally there'd zero chance of the gaa poking the bear by making a thing out of him training.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Yep very well put .. I'd also add the 2010 SF defeat to Cork ironically as an upward curve too -

Oh yeah, definitely. I think every year up to that point, we went out of the championship meekly, Kerry the year before in particular, it was like clockwork. Against Cork, we went out all guns blazing, or with our boots on, whichever cliche you'd want to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DoctaDee wrote:
    I would've thought the 2010 was an excellent result alright, but we were only 2-3 games on from the Meath catastrophe so it was hard to be objective on where we rightly stood.

I think that game announced the arrival of that team.

B Brogan was on fire, and a big baldy dodgy looking skinhead kid called O'Gara came on and nearly burst the back of the net with a goal.

I remember before the game M Harte was commenting on the Dubs, he have a big cheaky smile and said "we've a good raakard against em anyway" that put the belief into the team imo.
    Next big one for me was not the Cork game as I didn't think Cork were beatable anyway, but the Donegal game in 2011.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Oh yeah, definitely. I think every year up to that point, we went out of the championship meekly, Kerry the year before in particular, it was like clockwork. Against Cork, we went out all guns blazing, or with our boots on, whichever cliche you'd want to use.

May have been for the best in retrospect, but as I recall the Cork game swung on a sideline on Cusack side, which seemed to be Dublin ball, but which led directly to the penalty?

Or perhaps my Alzheimers is more advanced that I imagined!

Bonniedog wrote:

Might be both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

May have been for the best in retrospect, but as I recall the Cork game swung on a sideline on Cusack side, which seemed to be Dublin ball, but which led directly to the penalty?

It was all Ross McConnells fault......thats all i remember!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

keane2097 wrote: »

Realistically any team/player in this situation are going to keep the guy training until told not to, the GAA are not going to check, Connolly and others should train away and we should change the rule at the end of the year and be done with it.

Ah the common sense approach, are you new to this 129 year organisation or what :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭kerrysoul

Can't wait to see what tactics Mickey Hart will use against Dublin. Will he employ a full press and put pressure on Cluxton's kick outs. Cluxton is fallible under pressure. This requires super fitness. On the other hand you can't sit back and invite Dublin to have a pop. How will he counter the Dublin substitutes in the second half? This is trully going to be an absorbing contest. Dublin have so many options but to beat them you must go at them for the 75 minutes especially the last 10 minutes. Lets hope the ref isn't intimidated by the crowd i.e. Mc Menenin chest shoulder on Peter Crowley in 2016 semi final or the neck pull on Donaghy in the dying minutes 2015 final each of which were ignored by the refs on the day not to mention the soft free awarded to Dublin at the end of the 2011 final that Clux took 2 minutes to convert fair play to him. Look at the replays if you need confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭kerrysoul

Can't wait to see what tactics Mickey Hart will use against Dublin. Will he employ a full press and put pressure on Cluxton's kick outs. Cluxton is fallible under pressure. This requires super fitness. On the other hand you can't sit back and invite Dublin to have a pop. How will he counter the Dublin substitutes in the second half? This is trully going to be an absorbing contest. Dublin have so many options but to beat them you must go at them for the 75 minutes especially the last 10 minutes. Lets hope the ref isn't intimidated by the crowd i.e. Mc Menenin chest shoulder on Peter Crowley in 2016 semi final or the neck pull on Donaghy in the dying minutes 2015 final each of which were ignored by the refs on the day not to mention the soft free awarded to Dublin at the end of the 2011 final that Clux took 2 minutes to convert fair play to him. Look at the replays if you need confirmation.

Anyway, you have moved on :-)

I like kerrysoul.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

kerrysoul wrote: »

I prefer to look at the final scores :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Anyway, you have moved on :-)

Time is a great healer - might have to wait a little longer with this one...

Jayop wrote:
    I like kerrysoul.

Peas in a pod

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Such gracious losers, the Kerry crowd ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Stoner wrote: »
    Peas in a pod

Nooooo

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

kerrysoul wrote: »

3 examples in 7 years is the best you can come up with? And at least one of those is a complete non-issue.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Such gracious losers, the Kerry crowd ! ;)

I see a lot of complaints, legitimate ones I might add, from Dublin supporters in relation to lazy generalisations etc. about them, can't have it both ways!

danganabu wrote:
    3 examples in 7 years is the best you can come up with? And at least one of those is a complete non-issue.

Such subtle encouragement !

danganabu wrote: »
    I see a lot of complaints, legitimate ones I might add, from Dublin supporters in relation to lazy generalisations etc. about them, can't have it both ways!

If I ate a bowl of lentil free coddle, every time I read a Kerry post carping on about the Kev Mc & Crowley hit...while completely ignoring the Philly Mc/O'Mahonny one, I'd weigh 2346 tons.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    If I ate a bowl of lentil free coddle, every time I read a Kerry post carping on about the Kev Mc & Crowley hit...while completely ignoring the Philly Mc/O'Mahonny one, I'd weigh 2346 tons.

Would you need two tickets for the hill then and would you not come in until half time? :D

What's half time? Is that the drinking break in between Aido disappearing up his own hole and Philly Mc* growing horns? :P

*Is anyone else absolutley $hitting themselves a teeny weeny bit worried at his lack of form?

ProudDUB wrote:
    *Is anyone else absolutley $hitting themselves a teeny weeny bit worried at his lack of form?

No I don't think so. I think he'll be fine

Only has two games max, to come good in though...that's the worry. It's not like he can play himself into form over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jayop wrote: »
    I like kerrysoul.

What I want to know does he sing this in his Kerry accent and his Kerry Jersey on? :D

With a bit of the occasional indignant statement

:rolleyes:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

What I want to know does he sing this in his Kerry accent and his Kerry Jersey on? :D

With a bit of the occasional indignant statement

:rolleyes:

Well, Kieran, I thought it was soft and I feel that if ye played us the tactical missteps your manager is prone to make would have been punished by us. :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement