Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Pat Gilroy as the next hurling manager seems to be wildfire at the minute ..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yeah, Boyle Sports have suspended the betting on him getting the gig. WTF ? :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Pat Gilroy as the next hurling manager seems to be wildfire at the minute ..

Dare I say it this is like the time Meath 'Witch Doctor' was appointed Meath football manager, even though he was a hurling man first and foremast.

I am amazed Gilroy is going for it not just because he is a football man.
    But because he left Dublin at the top when he had returned Sam.
    You would think he would be happy with the quiet life?

I suppose the only way is up for Dublin hurling he cannot do any worse then that Cork eejit.

Players will definitely play for Gilroy he has legend status in Dublin GAA.
    If he does get it.
    It will be interesting to see if he manages to coax a few fellas from the big ball game back to the small ball?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Dare I say it this is like the time Meath 'Witch Doctor' was appointed Meath football manager, even though he was a hurling man first and foremast.

I am amazed Gilroy is going for it not just because he is a football man.
    But because he left Dublin at the top when he had returned Sam.
    You would think he would be happy with the quiet life?

I suppose the only way is up for Dublin hurling he cannot do any worse then that Cork eejit.

Players will definitely play for Gilroy he has legend status in Dublin GAA.
    If he does get it.
    It will be interesting to see if he manages to coax a few fellas from the big ball game back to the small ball?

I can actually see it working, if he surrounds himself with proper hurling people. One thing also going in his favour is that after managing the footballers from their startled earwigs days to the promised land, he won't take any s**t from either the players or the county board.

Of course, it could also be a total disaster, but it's one I'd be interested in seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

It's not true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

CatInABox wrote: »
    I can actually see it working, if he surrounds himself with proper hurling people. One thing also going in his favour is that after managing the footballers from their startled earwigs days to the promised land, he won't take any s**t from either the players or the county board.

Of course, it could also be a total disaster, but it's one I'd be interested in seeing.

Same, could see it working too. They're not radically different sports and it's not like it's a county managers job to do skills training. Tactics and motivation are all important.

I couldn't ever see it being a disaster. Just because we don't win Liam, or even be realistic contenders, doesn't equate to his tenure being a disaster, if he ever got the gig. Whatever about his tactical acumen, he has been lauded as a brilliant man manager & that's incredibly important these days. Add in his knack for spotting rough diamonds & getting the best out of existing talent, we could do a lot worse than appoint him. I don't think that he gets anywhere near the credit that he deserves for our current success. He forged a steel in our characters, that Jim Gavin has reaped the manifold benefits of.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Stoner wrote: »
    It's not true

At this stage if someone told me that Ger Gilroy was being lined up I'd wouldn't know whether to believe it or not. The world, its mother and Humphrey Kelleher are in the running according to the rumour mill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Did he even hurl for Vinnies at senior?

Am firm believer that manager should be someone living in the county. That would take in a few country fellas who have been good managers at underage and club.

Gilroy would certainly be left field. Reminds me of when Heffo was mooted as replacement for the disastrous Kelleher reign, but nothing came of that. Certainly do not want to be going back there!

People forget the massive job that Tommy Naughton did when he took over at possibly lowest point senior hurlers had ever reached, and he turned it around. We need to be realistic now and start from basis that it is rebuilding operation that will take a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Do we have a ref for the Tyrone game yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Slattsy wrote: »
    Do we have a ref for the Tyrone game yet?

Yeah, David Coldrick.

Maurice is taking the Yerras v Mayo.

Coldrick is best in business.

Bumped into him in Autobahn the other night. He was showing Philly and James the best way to get someone - perhaps even a chap whose initials are SC - in a headlock and gouge his eyes.

Hopefully, this does not indicate any sort of bias....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Yeah, David Coldrick.

Maurice is taking the Yerras v Mayo.

Not David 'I heart Tyrone' Coldrick?

:D

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Coldrick is best in business.

Bumped into him in Autobahn the other night. He was showing Philly and James the best way to get someone - perhaps even a chap whose initials are SC - in a headlock and gouge his eyes.

Hopefully, this does not indicate any sort of bias....

But sure, he's from Meath. A neighbouring county! Clear bias.

In fairness, Tyrone lads wouldn't resort to the bias argument. Leave that for the Keepers of the Flame.

But sure, he's from Meath. A neighbouring county! Clear bias.

In fairness, Tyrone lads wouldn't resort to the bias argument. Leave that for the Keepers of the Flame.

I'm nearly sure he's living & working in Dublin, think his Mrs is involved with Clontarf for some reason ? .. as for bias I understand we're paying him enough to ensure there's no bias ...

I'm nearly sure he's living & working in Dublin, think his Mrs is involved with Clontarf for some reason ? .. as for bias I understand we're paying him enough to ensure there's no bias ...

He does indeed live and work here. Sure it was brought up that time during the "gouging" incident how that clearly affected the decision.

Which all told must put Gough a near certainty for the final you'd think .. the thoughts of Hurson, Brannagan or Neilan getting the big day doesn't bear thinking of ..

Which all told must put Gough a near certainty for the final you'd think .. the thoughts of Hurson, Brannagan or Neilan getting the big day doesn't bear thinking of ..

I really hope Gough gets it. Only thing that would stop him would be Mordor getting to the final... Oh wait!

Gough has to get the final. He's without doubt the best, most unaffected by BS in the media, ref in the country at the moment.

I'm sure I'll have something to be moaning about after the game next weekend.

Camogs doing well so far. Pity they gave away the early penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

So who are you all cheering for tomorrow? Any preferences?

Jayop wrote: »
    Gough has to get the final. He's without doubt the best, most unaffected by BS in the media, ref in the country at the moment.

I'm sure I'll have something to be moaning about after the game next weekend.

Remind me again of his pro Dublin ties that will guarantee a Tyrone loss. His sisters hairdressers podiatrists first cousin twice removed, got thrown out of the Gweedore Gaeltacht with Jimmy Keavney in 1963, for asking where the jacks were as Bearla, right? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Remind me again of his pro Dublin ties that will guarantee a Tyrone loss. His sisters hairdressers podiatrists first cousin twice removed, got thrown out of the Gweedore Gaeltacht with Jimmy Keavney in 1963, for asking where the jacks were as Bearla, right? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Meh, most games against you we'd need three extra points to make up for what the ref will give you. Nothing about them having Dublin ties, just a fear of the Dublin crowd and media destroying them if the don't.

Meh, most games against you we'd need three extra points to make up for what the ref will give you. Nothing about them having Dublin ties, just a fear of the Dublin crowd and media destroying them if the don't.

Eh....right you are there boss. However, where were all those oh so easily intimidated refs, during those thirty odd years when Dublin won Sam a whopping one time?

Riddle me that if you will ! ;)

Eh....right you are there boss. However, where were all those oh so easily intimidated refs, during those thirty odd years when Dublin won Sam a whopping one time?

Riddle me that if you will ! ;)

Maybe all those teams that beat you were more than three points better?

franklyon wrote:
    So who are you all cheering for tomorrow? Any preferences?

I'd like to see Mayo beat Kerry, would be good for everyone else bar Kerry and Roscommon.

However I'd rather this Dublin team lined out against Kerry than this Mayo team if, they'd all the games played that they have plus had beaten Kerry.

It's all ifs Jayop.

And Cavan too

Maybe all those teams that beat you were more than three points better?

Okeydokey. When our opponents win, it's because they were the better team. When we win, it's because of the ref?

Flawless logic there chief.

Were you anywhere near the Grassy Knoll in '63, or Area 51 back when the aliens landed, perchance?

Okeydokey. When our opponents win, it's because they were the better team. When we win, it's because of the ref?

Flawless logic there chief.

Were you anywhere near the Grassy Knoll in '63, or Area 51 back when the aliens landed, perchance?

I didn't say that at all. Generally when Dublin win its because they're the better team. If you win by 9 and the ref has gifted you your normal 3 point advantage then you would still have won by 6. It's the games that you win by less than 3 that I'd be questioning.

• Advertisement

Our normal 3 point advantage?

How exactly do you arrive at that precise number, btw? Why three? Why not four or five or six or seventy two and three quarters?

Is there a scientific formula, or an Einsteinesque theorum that you used to arrive at that precise number? Some quantum physics maybe? Have you ever petted Schrodingers Cat?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement