Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Jayop wrote:
    I didn't say that at all. Generally when Dublin win its because they're the better team. If you win by 9 and the ref has gifted you your normal 3 point advantage then you would still have won by 6. It's the games that you win by less than 3 that I'd be questioning.

So every win in finals or semi finals against Mayo or Kerry where the margin was 3 points or less, then the best team lost, so bar Kerry in 2013 that's every game, with 2015 being a draw
    So all four All Ireland's Dublin only won because they have a +3 points going into the game ?

2011, 2013, 2015 (3 points) and 2016 all those finals there were 3 points or less between the finalists.
    So those games should have been three losses and one draw for Dublin.

Is this where your logic takes us?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Jayop wrote: »
    I didn't say that at all. Generally when Dublin win its because they're the better team. If you win by 9 and the ref has gifted you your normal 3 point advantage then you would still have won by 6. It's the games that you win by less than 3 that I'd be questioning.

So, you basically question all of our All-Irelands since 2011? Maybe it's my Dublin bias, but when I look back at the totality of the games, I've never detected a bias in any game either way. For example, I know some of the Kerry lads give out about the semi-final last year when a Dublin player got away with a shoulder charge last year, but they ignore a Kerry player getting away with a shoulder charge earlier in the game. It all works out over a game, no point picking out one incident, that's my general opinion on referees.

For who I'd like to win tomorrow, I'd like to face Kerry in the final. Not for any particular, sensible reason, more of a fear of Mayo beating us and winning their first All-Ireland in decades. Can you imagine the amount of s***e that RTE would put on our screens for the next decade if Mayo don't just win the All-Ireland, but do it by beating the heavily favoured reigning All-Ireland champions? Documentary after documentary, player profiles, cliches about how they won "against all odds", it would really be unbearable for me, particularly any time I end up down the west (fairly often). Being beaten by Kerry, on the other hand, is just a resumption of the usual. We'd still be competitive next year, but RTE wouldn't be hammering out programs about it.

Of course, that all changes if Tyrone beat us, I'd much prefer a Mayo - Tyrone final to a Kerry - Tyrone final. Hope you don't mind Jayop, but I'd much prefer Mayo to win than Tyrone, only because they haven't won in ages and ages!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Haha, I think this is the first time that Jayop has really united us!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ah, don't mind Jayop. I seriously doubt if even he believes that nonsense he is trying to peddle. He's probably just bored, or fed up with the constant rehashing of The Battle of Limerick 2014 that has been going on in the meeja all week, ad bloody nauseum. I know I'm heartily sick to death of it.

Anywaze, if we have to lose this year, I'd much rather it be against Tyrone. I really don't want to have to face either Mayo or Kerry crowing over us for the next year. In Mayo's case, it'll be the next century. As CatInABox says above, we'd never hear the feckin' end of it.

It's been six years since Dublin and Tyrone last met in the champo. We don't really have the same history and baggage with of them of late, that we do with Mayo and Kerry. So if they do win on Sunday week, than fair play to them. I hope they go on and win the whole thing. I'd be delighted for Mickey Harte if they do. And equally delighted that we don't have to listen to a year of The Keepers of The Flame bolloxology, or The End Of The Curse myth making at our expense. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'll have to explain the formula to ye in quinns next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,996 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Schrödinger's cat walks into Quinn's. And doesn't.

Won't be Quinns next weekend, I'll be in the Auld Shillelagh in Stokey. One of the downsides of living in London is the need to travel to find a good Irish pub, and that's the best one going.

Next year though, I'll be around the corner from Parnell Park again, happy days!

Jayop wrote:

So you haven't seen the pictures of the basement yet?

Jayop wrote: »

You drink in Quinns? Ah Jayzus, that explains it so. You're suffering from rabies/scabies/bubonic plague....or whatever else rat droppings in your beer can lead to. You shudda said. ;)

Stoner wrote: »
    So you haven't seen the pictures of the basement yet?

Lol aye I seen them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Lads, unexpectedly I'm around next Sunday for the match but don't have a ticket(s).

If anyone has a few or knows someone with some spare I'd take them. Thanks.

Schrödinger's rat walks into Quinn's. And doesn't.

Fixed that for you. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Slattsy wrote: »
    Lads, unexpectedly I'm around next Sunday for the match but don't have a ticket(s).

If anyone has a few or knows someone with some spare I'd take them. Thanks.

As the rest of us were told: Get a season ticket, work for or join your local GAA club, try Gills, and if ye really want one that badly you'll get one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Donal55 wrote: »
    As the rest of us were told: Get a season ticket, work for or join your local GAA club, try Gills, and if ye really want one that badly you'll get one!!!

Ah i'll head regardless and see what happens, if I dont get my hands on some beforehand.

Will not be going near Quinns though :D

Donal55 wrote: »

Ah, that's a wee bit harsh. Slatts is a regular around here. We regulars often help each other out with tickets. We've even helped our brethren from other counties out and vice versa. It's not like he's one of the army of newbies who show up at this time of year and register on Boards, for no other reason than to beg for final tickets. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Ah, that's a wee bit harsh. Slatts is a regular around here. We regulars often help each other out with tickets. We've even helped our brethren from other counties out and vice versa. It's not like he's one of the army of newbies who show up at this time of year and register on Boards, for no other reason than to beg for final tickets. :rolleyes:

Agree wholeheartedly. However I was just reiterating the standard reply that gets thrown out to all and sundry whenever AI tickets are mentioned.
    Hope he gets one.

Yeah, but we Dubs are not all and sundry. We are The Chosen People, as aul Mr Brennan used to say. :P:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Is Tyrone V Dublin sold out? I'm thinking to make a weekend of it as I'll be going up supporting Kerry next Saturday and was going to stay overnight and go into the second semi-final on Sunday if I could get a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Lads what is the story with parking the car at the usual spots?Fairview park for next Saturday,likely to clamped as it's a workday or will a blind eye be improbably turned?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

seligehgit wrote: »
    Lads what is the story with parking the car at the usual spots?Fairview park for next Saturday,likely to clamped as it's a workday or will a blind eye be improbably turned?

Evidence - such as the farcical situation on Whitworth Road where people are all but short of abandoning car in middle of the road - suggests that clamping and enforcement of parking restrictions only takes place when Dublin and nordie teams are playing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Evidence - such as the farcical situation on Whitworth Road where people are all but short of abandoning car in middle of the road - suggests that clamping and enforcement of parking restrictions only takes place when Dublin and nordie teams are playing :)

I was at Croker for both the Ulster final and Replay in 2005, it was scandalous the ticketing of cars, twas like mushrooms in a field - hasn't put the feckers off coming down unfortunately ;)

@selige .. What time's throw in next Saturday?... I'd feed the meter to take it upto 7 o'clock. If you're parking the fairview side you could consider Clontarf Rd dart station car park. Again feed the meter but less likely to have hassle from a jobsworth

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

seligehgit wrote:

If you get up really early the lanes off Clonliffe Road are free on Saturday and Sunday (rare for Dublin). They are usually blocked off by the Gardaí a few hours before the match though.

I only noticed it walking to the Mayo v Roscommon match last week.

seligehgit wrote: »

Blind eyes are never turned in spots like that, that are so close to town. I wouldn't risk it, for a biscuit. Turn left (if driving away from town) up either the Howth or Malahide Roads and you'll find free street parking before too long, especially on the side roads.
    You think you'd have all the angles of Croker replays figured out by now. Are ya sure ya aren't a Rossie? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I was at Croker for both the Ulster final and Replay in 2005, it was scandalous the ticketing of cars, twas like mushrooms in a field - hasn't put the feckers off coming down unfortunately ;)

@selige .. What time's throw in next Saturday?... I'd feed the meter to take it upto 7 o'clock. If you're parking the fairview side you could consider Clontarf Rd dart station car park. Again feed the meter but less likely to have hassle from a jobsworth

3 o clock.

Thanks for all the help guys.I have a fair idea now,I'll have my uncle accompanying me and he'll have a fair idea.

Clontarf dart station sounds good.

seligehgit wrote:
    Clontarf dart station sounds good.
    I have to say I feel lazy reading these things. I remember in college I had a bit of a party in my house and one of the lads said I know where I am, this is where we park when we go to croke Park.

I told him to call in the next time there's a Meath Dublin game and we'd give him a lift the rest of the way.

I park on Iona Road. As near as I can to Dorset street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Stoner wrote: »
    I have to say I feel lazy reading these things. I remember in college I had a bit of a party in my house and one of the lads said I know where I am, this is where we park when we go to croke Park.

I told him to call in the next time there's a Meath Dublin game and we'd give him a lift the rest of the way.

I park on Iona Road. As near as I can to Dorset street.

I remember parking up at the Met Office on Washerwomans Hill in times past and having to jockey back the god forbids there and back .. now that was serious cross training ;)

Peasants.

The 31 bus and/or Dart takes me from my front door to Croker in approximately 19 1/2 minutes. It's deadly. I have the height of respect for our Mayo kindred who have make all these arduous trips up to HQ. My idea of an arduous journey, is when the Dart stops for 5 minutes at Howth Junction, waiting for the inbound Belfast train to pass by. Sometimes, my prosecco and prawn sandwiches even run out before we get to Killester. :rolleyes:

#PrayForProudDUB

Very quiet for Sunday.

The Nordies are up to something. It's a pity they only have 1.5 supporters on Boards.

• Advertisement

My 546 posts in the AI thread surely counts for about 20 of ye lily livered dubs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement