Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Slattsy wrote: »
    Less goals.

More points.

More pints.

13/8 - 2 goals or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Stoner wrote: »
    I'm concerned about this game, worried about the likes of McCann running through. I hope O'Sullivan is switched or, Kilkenny might end up at half-back again now that there's O'Callaghan Connelly and Flynn ready to rock.

Anyway I'm not calling this one, I feel too close to it being honest.

Ah I don't know Stoner, I can't say I'm not nervous about the game but I think we over think the situation in times of stress. With the greatest of respect, Tyrone are an excellent outfit and have reinforced the fact they're top dog up north in a series of very good performances against poor enough opposition.

If Tyrone had put 10 points on Monaghan with another 2-3 glaring goal chances missed the room would burst, the fact Dublin did it is seen as nothing more than a noteworthy fact.

Lots of talk impressing the opinion that Harte will have done his homework for the last few years on Dublin and will be very much an important part of the proceedings, but Gavin has been relentless in his desire to unlock massed defences .. I haven't spoken to any player recently, but it was crazy the detail they've been going through.

Dublin haven't played Tyrone at championship pitch for 6 years, there's little to be drawn from early league games, where they've had a 1-2 month headstart on conditioning and a noticeable waft of aftersun from Dublin players on the field - this'll be the day Tyrone will see exactly where they stand.

In saying all that Tyrone do have the capacity to win, they have a steely cohesion to their play and an uncanny knack of dragging the opposition into positions from which they can exploit their counter attack - Dublin's biggest task will be recognising the spider web from the cotton wool.

It would shock me if we lose, but I wouldn't be surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Feckin cider drinking nordies.

Ordering two pints and expecting to get change out of a tenner #welcometodublin lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

First semi final, where I'm not on the Hill. Surrounded by folk in red & white. I'm skurred.

Ah well....at least they're not from Kerry.

Feeling oddly calm & zen like. Usually at this time of day, I'd be sick with nerves. But I feel like the lads totally have this and I'm grand.

Last time I felt this relaxed before a big game was Donegal in 2014....gulp....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Some very athletic, powerful ball carriers in this young dubs side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Some very athletic, powerful ball carriers in this young dubs side.

Referee is riding Derry to be fair.

Obviously hoping Tyrone do it today, but don't think they have a chance. Dublins bench makes all the difference when needed. No squad in the country with such depth.

Poor discipline.

Lack of maturity and composure from Dublin. Silly frees, overrunning the ball, going for points when they clearly need a goal. Derry much more composed and clinical, deserving of their win.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

CatInABox wrote: »

Team named, but of course, subject to massive change.

No DC named.

EDIT:

Just writing it out for those that don't see the twitter:

Cluxton
    McMahon O'Sullivan Fitzsimons
    Cooper Small McCaffrey
    Fenton McCarthy
    Kilkenny O'Callaghan Lowndes
    Mannion Andrews Rock

One change to the Dublin team, Niall Scully is in for Lowndes.

So, no sneaky last minute DC in the end.

• Advertisement

Without a bout of food poisoning on All Ireland day its Sam for Dublin. Can't see it changing in the near term either. Could easily win every final up to 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Without a bout of food poisoning on All Ireland day its Sam for Dublin. Can't see it changing in the near term either. Could easily win every final up to 2020.
    Bizarre statement. Mayo have been just as impressive in their play, and against better opposition. Mayo are looking relatively stronger this year compared to Dublin, and only narrowly lost out last year. A very close final in store, and Dublin will need Diarmuid Connolly.

Bizarre statement. Mayo have been just as impressive in their play, and against better opposition. Mayo are looking relatively stronger this year compared to Dublin, and only narrowly lost out last year. A very close final in store, and Dublin will need Diarmuid Connolly.

You would need the perfect game from us to make it close, we have no subs bench so even if we are close at 60 mins Dublin can bring a few POTY's off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

You would need the perfect game from us to make it close, we have no subs bench so even if we are close at 60 mins Dublin can bring a few POTY's off the bench.
    That's true. But Mayo's previous performances show they are peaking well, and could very well produce that perfect performance in the final. Mayo's lack of forwards relative to Dublin is the biggest problem. But then Dublin do not have attacking backs as good as Keegan, Higgins and Boyle. So all to play for really. Durkan should also start the final for Mayo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

O'Gara loves Tyrone

Good God, what's going on in the world, for once I agree with Pat Spillane!

I too, thought that Dublin were flat last year, and that they were missing something, and I too also think that they're playing with a bit more oomph this year.

I'm genuinely worried now, feel as if the universe is tilted*

Good game from the lads today, really exposed the limited ability of the Tyrone system. Would have been an interesting game if Tyrone got three or four points ahead, but I still think that Dublin would have won in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

CatInABox wrote: »
    Good God, what's going on in the world, for once I agree with Pat Spillane!

I too, thought that Dublin were flat last year, and that they were missing something, and I too also think that they're playing with a bit more oomph this year.

I'm genuinely worried now, feel as if the universe is tilted*

Good game from the lads today, really exposed the limited ability of the Tyrone system. Would have been an interesting game if Tyrone got three or four points ahead, but I still think that Dublin would have won in the end.

Unfortunately for Tyrone, their set-up doesn't account for falling behind and having to chase a game. They literally don't know what to do if they have to claw back a lead. It's a one-dimensional style of play that is outdated at this point and will never work against better teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'm in Quinns.

I'm not gonna comment on the game until I get some coppon. FML

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There I was thinking Con would be dropped for Connolly some manager I would make.
    I wouldn't go printing the 3 in s row t shirts yet.
    Might as well wait for the five in a row instead! :)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Tyrone were and their line were completely rubbish today.

The very same thing happened in 2011and 2010

They send a man up on his own to try to score on his own, every shot is under pressure just as it was in 2011 and the Tyrone players are not able for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Anyone got 2 stand hurling final tickets. Have 2 stand football final tickets and am looking to swap them for hurling ones.

That was such an odd day out. Not really used to AI semifinals & being ever so slightly bored long before half time. The biggest worry, was the 6 minutes you know who was on the pitch and, fretting he'd do something stupid to get himself sent off. :o
    Slattsy wrote: »
    I'm in Quinns.

I'm not gonna comment on the game until I get some coppon. FML

The least you can do is buy Jayop a pint and bowl of coddle before he makes the long trip home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That first half performance was brilliant, a complete performance.

Defence deserves massive plaudits, as does Gavin for the game plan

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Watching it back confirms my initial impression that Coldrick is a scaldy little bollix. In particular handing yellows out for next to nothing but ignored a punch to the face and a flying kick.

Gob****es on the Sunday Game going on about Tyrone sticking to their game plan regardless when it was obvious Harte changed it up during the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Funniest moment of the day is the 50 thousand Dubs supporters who didn't know the difference between their Hero Dermo and Eric Lowndes.

Lowndes must have been delighted though. He got the biggest cheer of the day.

The rest of the match was awful awful gameplay peppered with some super scores and some great defensive work from the likes of Mannion and O'Callaghan tracking back.

Ye look fierce strong and controlled the game but it was one of the worst matches in terms of excitement that I have ever witnessed ( I missed the Dublin Donegal match in 2011 thankfully)

Enjoy the buildup to the final lads. It would be a serious achievement to get 3 in a row. Extremely jelous of ye right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Funniest moment of the day is the 50 thousand Dubs supporters who didn't know the difference between their Hero Dermo and Eric Lowndes.

The rest of the match was awful awful gameplay peppered with some super scores and some great defensive work from the likes of Mannion and O'Callaghan tracking back.

Ye look fierce strong and controlled the game but it was one of the worst matches in terms of excitement that I have ever witnessed ( I missed the Dublin Donegal match in 2011 thankfully)

Enjoy the buildup to the final lads. It would be a serious achievement to get 3 in a row. Extremely jelous of ye right now.

Always going to happen when only 1 team turns up.

DDC1990 wrote: »

Yeah, and the fact that Lowdnes was wearing the number that Connolly usually wears, or that the number 12 flashed up on the 4th officials notice board before the player coming on appeared on the sideline, or on the big screen, didn't have anything to do with it at all. Nice attempt at trolling there mate. Jog on !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Bonniedog wrote: »
    2 - 14 to 0 - 12.

There, I've said it.

Nearly. Damn my pessimism :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yeah, and the fact that Lowdnes was wearing the number that Connolly usually wears, or that the number 12 flashed up on the 4th officials notice board before the player coming on appeared on the sideline, or on the big screen, didn't have anything to do with it at all. Nice attempt at trolling there mate. Jog on !

Untwist the knickers.

Trolling would be accusing Dub supporters of thinking their County team is like a Premiership team in assigning players squad numbers. Or not having known that Lowndes was named at 12 the day before. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

ProudDUB wrote:
    Nice attempt at trolling there mate. Jog on !

? What the ****? It was a funny moment. Plenty of people found it amusing at the match. Lighten up ye have an All Ireland final to look forward to.

I wasnt implying that the fact that fans made a mistake somehow diminishes them in any way as fans (as you clearly wish I had). It was just funny that so many made rhe same mistake after seeing the number 12.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement