Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Right time to leave me arse out for a good kicking ... I don't think Tyrone will get within 6 points of Dublin tomorrow ..

I'll put it away for the time being ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

The Dubs, love em or hate em you have to admire them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

PARlance wrote: »
    Untwist the knickers.

Trolling would be accusing Dub supporters of thinking their County team is like a Premiership team in assigning players squad numbers. Or not having known that Lowndes was named at 12 the day before. ;)

What makes you think I wear any? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What makes you think I wear any? :P

Combat? Hope you weren't on the Hill!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The Hill?

T'was prawn sambos and prosecco all the way today baby.

All fur coat and no knickers me.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Funniest moment of the day is the 50 thousand Dubs supporters who didn't know the difference between their Hero Dermo and Eric Lowndes.

Lowndes must have been delighted though. He got the biggest cheer of the day.

The rest of the match was awful awful gameplay peppered with some super scores and some great defensive work from the likes of Mannion and O'Callaghan tracking back.

Ye look fierce strong and controlled the game but it was one of the worst matches in terms of excitement that I have ever witnessed ( I missed the Dublin Donegal match in 2011 thankfully)

Enjoy the buildup to the final lads. It would be a serious achievement to get 3 in a row. Extremely jelous of ye right now.

Lowndes is slightly shorter but he does carry himself like Connolly. That was my excuse for the big happy head on me anyway.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

corny wrote: »
    Lowndes is slightly shorter but he does carry himself like Connolly. That was my excuse for the big happy head on me anyway.;)

Was it announced as Connolly?

Was really strange in the stadium, delighted for Lowndnes though!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Really enjoyed the day out in Croke Park, dry warm day, a crushing Dublin victory.

Recorded the match and watching it back now. So glad I was there and didn't have to listen to Carney. I missed the horrific challenge on Fenton in the ground, should have been a red.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Specsavers could get themselves some great publicity with ad based on it. Would be pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Specsavers could get themselves some great publicity with ad based on it. Would be pretty funny.

They could work a few out of Coldrick today too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Congrats lads and good luck in your final. A mile better all over the pitch. I thought if we could have gotten a goal when it was back to 6 we might have made at least a last ten minutes of a match. A sobering experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Jayop wrote: »
    Congrats lads and good luck in your final. A mile better all over the pitch. I thought if we could have gotten a goal when it was back to 6 we might have made at least a last ten minutes of a match. A sobering experience.

It was often the other way around.

We enjoy these things while we can no matter what county we are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DDC1990 wrote:
    I wasnt implying that the fact that fans made a mistake somehow diminishes them in any way as fans (as you clearly wish I had). It was just funny that so many made rhe same mistake after seeing the number 12.

I knew Lowdnes was 12, but it had nothing to do with me shouting, it just ran around the stadium verbally
    We all had a laugh afterwards

Stoner wrote: »
    I knew Lowdnes was 12, but it had nothing to do with me shouting, it just ran around the stadium verbally

The crowd around me on The Hill likewise .. Saw Paddy A on the bench having a good giggle too.

I honestly thought the 1st half of the 1st half was the best football I've ever seen from a Dublin team.. phenomenal, on a different planet.

There's been huge strides made on the defensive side too, I felt today was a masterclass

Overall it was a great display of how to beat a blanket defense, hopefully other teams can take something from it.

I don't mind Ulster football, but the best moments for me have been when they attack rather than defend. Tyrone had that ten years ago, Donegal had it too in 12 and 14 .

I know I said this earlier but really Tyrone changed very little since 10/11 and that's their own doing.

There's no point in bigging them up too much, their support play was terrible compared to Kerry, Mayo and Dublin. If they carried the ball up the best or only option was a pressure shot.

Most of the Dublin scores came from layoffs or runs off the shoulder, Tyrone committed too few forward to have that option.

Mayo will be very different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I was watching on t.v. , the first camera angle for the Lowndes sub. ..jeez he is a ringer for Connolly from the side profile.I don't know what was shown on the big screen at the match,I thought it was Connolly,then had a laugh,nah it's Lowndes and then the big cheer, it was obvious the crowd made the same mistake.

Worse still, there was a profile shot about 10/20 seconds after Lowndes is on the pitch,he is a ringer for Connolly side on..

I bet Lowndes and Connolly are getting some stick from the rest of the panel.

When Connolly eventually came on, we were shouting, sit down, it's not Lowdnes!!! Its not often that you can relax and have a bit of a laugh during an All-Ireland semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

I was really nervous before this game and thought it was going to be much tighter. Tactically Dublin got it spot on allied with the players putting in a brilliant performance.

I've never seen Tyrone win so little turnover ball. We constantly recycled the ball until we created an opening. Dublin players avoided running into blind alleys and I'd say there was only a couple of occassions where Tyrone managed to get their customary 4/5 defenders swarming around an isolated opposition player. It completely cut off their only way of obtaining ball.

One of the big positives for me which will be hugely important against Mayo was the energy of the Dublin tackling in our own half. We constantly got a strong touch on the ball with Tyrone in possession.

The Final should be a great game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Bambi wrote: »
    They could work a few out of Coldrick today too

Thought he did reasonably well to be honest? The Colm Cavanagh 'red card' tackle was really the only stand out blemish and he had his back to that if memory serves me correct, linesman had a perfect view and should have been consulted, it was a horrific cowardly act and if a lad did it on the street he would be locked up.

danganabu wrote: »
    Thought he did reasonably well to be honest? The Colm Cavanagh 'red card' tackle was really the only stand out blemish and he had his back to that if memory serves me correct, linesman had a perfect view and should have been consulted, it was a horrific cowardly act and if a lad did it on the street he would be locked up.

cooper got a punch in the head and no card shown, compare that to yellows he was dishing out to dublin like they were free samples

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

cooper got a punch in the head and no card shown, compare that to yellows he was dishing out to dublin like they were free samples

In fairness its a mandatory yellow for tackle around the neck. Kev Macs yellow was soft as you like but the referee was right by the letter of the law. Crowley suffered the same fate the day previous.

Pssst ... I think King Con could be a great shout for POTY - it's probably the fact he's a near shoe-in for young player that may work against him

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

All it takes is one to start cheering to set everyone else off - the crowd started shouting before the announcement was made, it was so loud you couldn't hear the announcement.

They even went to the trouble of showing Connolly sitting on the bench, on the big screens, so the crowd would know it wasn't him :D

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Pssst ... I think King Con could be a great shout for POTY - it's probably the fact he's a near shoe-in for young player that may work against him

I reckon because Dublin have breezed past every team the played into the final will mean that a lot of them will be overlooked for all stars.

I reckon because Dublin have breezed past every team the played into the final will mean that a lot of them will be overlooked for all stars.

Don't think you could really give an allstar to anyone outside of Dublin or Mayo at the same time, possibly Geaney and Murphy from Kerry - Colm Kavanagh will be rightly omitted as a result of his assault yesterday and Donaghy likewise and Peter Harte was ineffective and may have cost him one.

danganabu wrote:
    Don't think you could really give an allstar to anyone outside of Dublin or Mayo at the same time, possibly Geaney and Murphy from Kerry - Colm Kavanagh will be rightly omitted as a result of his assault yesterday and Donaghy likewise and Peter Harte was ineffective and may have cost him one.

Thought Murphy cancelled out a half back in the first game angainst Kerry and was worse on Saturday.

O'Callaghan, Moran, Boyle and for me Kilkenny have been good contenders

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Jesus the Guinness is awful in Quinns. Never again.

Anyway, onto the match.
    If you wanted a team to set up on how not to beat Dublin, it was Tyrone yesterday. Completely inept from Harte.
    Have to say the Tyrone fans were top class yesterday, very knowledgeable and respectful. There wasnt a bad word said from either set of fans, which was great to see considering the vile you get from a certain counties fans.

I thought we were imperious from start to finish and i might get stick for saying this but i genuinely dont think we got out of 3rd gear. Fenton was brilliant yesterday, his performance seems to have gone under the radar somewhat. We've a gem in our hands in O'Callaghan, he's pure quality. YPOTY is nailed for him. Mannion ran his socks off and was good again. I could go through the team and praise them all really.

I dont buy into the whole 'we have not been tested / we're under-cooked for the final' line that seems to be out there, because regardless of the opposition, how tight or easy a game is, we'll continue to do the exact same thing, be patient and work the ball until we're into the clear. Were exactly where we want to be in my eyes.
    I think our shot selection this year has been impressive, there's very few pot shots being taken, Gavin has them well drilled; recycle, be patient and work the ball until a man is free and in a better position to stick it over the bar or you'll be off.

So Mayo again, we know each other well. Andy Moran has been their main man this year but he's never done it against us. Id stick Mick Fitz on him. Put Cooper on O'Connor and watch him throw his toys out of the pram, again. Be interesting to see where O'Shea plays, but not overly fussed by him, he's never turned up for a big game in his life.

Obviously if we turn up and play our best we win. Gavin touched on it yesterday, and i've said it myself, we didnt play our best in the AI Final last year. We were dire in the drawn game and even in the replay i didnt think we were ourselves, the nerves and occasion can get to the best of them i suppose.
    But we look a better team this year, personally. Seems to be a new found fluidity. Jack Mc is back and playing well, O'Callaghan is on board now and shooting the lights out, Kilkenny controlling games, Mannion is at the top of his game and Rock will kick every free over the bar. All in all, im very confident ;)

Slattsy wrote: »
    Jesus the Guinness is awful in Quinns. Never again.

I thought we were imperious from start to finish and i might get stick for saying this but i genuinely dont think we got out of 3rd gear.

Be interesting to see where O'Shea plays, but not overly fussed by him, he's never turned up for a big game in his life.

Think that Guinness may have been worse than you thought, I think it has affected your cognitive thought process and not in a positive sense!

Slattsy wrote: »

I think our shot selection this year has been impressive, there's very few pot shots being taken, Gavin has them well drilled; recycle, be patient and work the ball until a man is free and in a better position to stick it over the bar or you'll be off.

Did you notice Rock being taken off immediately after he kicked one into the goalie's hands?

Scully also taken off when he was tiring and had lost possession twice in a couple of minutes.

Keep up the standards or you'll be hauled ashore is the message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

blanch152 wrote: »
    Did you notice Rock being taken off immediately after he kicked one into the goalie's hands?

Scully also taken off when he was tiring and had lost possession twice in a couple of minutes.

Keep up the standards or you'll be hauled ashore is the message.

Yup, said it at the time to me Father, and was delighted to see it too. Gavin is ruthless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement