Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Collie D wrote: »
    Just a heads-up for anyone on the Parnell Pass...ticket office is only open until Thursday this week.

http://www.dublingaa.ie/news/parnell-pass-information-all-ireland-football-final

Good heads up Collie. Not opening Friday and after 5 Wednesday and Thursday could catch a few people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Stoner wrote: »
    Do you Know the five lamps PARlance?

I wouldn't be the type to know where they are...

There used to be a Four Lanterns in Castlebar, it's a Supermacs now... have you been?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PARlance wrote:
    There used to be a Four Lanterns in Castlebar,

Ahh just short one. Sure give it an All Star

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Powerhouse wrote: »
    You cite four draws to bolster the argument that it has not been a one-sided rivalry but neglect to mention that Dublin won all four replays.

I also cited 2 wins by Mayo in the last 11 years. The draws are to show that Mayo can match them. Its rare Dublin beat Mayo out the gate. A couple of poor management decisions in the 2015 replay (taking off Parsons was huge) handed the game to Dublin.
    Mayo should have beaten Dublin in 2013 and should have beaten them in the first game last year. On both occasions Mayo handed the game to Dublin on a plate. Had we not dropped Clarke last year we also stood a good chance of winning. Tactically we are usually let down against the likes of Dublin. You can have some of the best footballers in Ireland, which no-one doubts Mayo have, but if your tactics are poor you have no chance.

Ahh just short one. Sure give it an All Star

Tis alright, we've got 3 O'Sheas.

Ever drink in the 2 Sisters? Decent pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I also cited 2 wins by Mayo in the last 11 years. The draws are to show that Mayo can match them. Its rare Dublin beat Mayo out the gate. A couple of poor management decisions in the 2015 replay (taking off Parsons was huge) handed the game to Dublin.
    Mayo should have beaten Dublin in 2013 and should have beaten them in the first game last year. On both occasions Mayo handed the game to Dublin on a plate. Had we not dropped Clarke last year we also stood a good chance of winning. Tactically we are usually let down against the likes of Dublin. You can have some of the best footballers in Ireland, which no-one doubts Mayo have, but if your tactics are poor you have no chance.

11 years ago Tyrone were beating Dublin. Hanging on to that old win from Mayo to boost the stats is of zero relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

This is all rubbish.

blanch152 wrote: »
    11 years ago Tyrone were beating Dublin. Hanging on to that old win from Mayo to boost the stats is of zero relevance.

Reread my post again. Let me put it as simply as I can just for your benefit.

Its rare that Dublin beat Mayo out the gate.
    Mayo should have beaten the great and almighty Jim Gavin teams on a number of occasions but for disastrous decisions on the sideline. The two teams are evenly matched. Unfortunately some of our managers had a habit of shooting themselves in the foot.

Dublin have not been vastly superior to Mayo in recent years. The 2015 replay was handed to Dublin in the last 10 minutes when Mayo decided they no longer needed a midfield. Aside from that, there's rarely been the kick of a ball between the sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mayo's issue is consistency. You just cannot rely on them to turn up on a given day.

Dublin have had no issue with consistency for a long time now. 9 times out of 10, the Dublin team will turn up and they will play a strong game.

Mayo are 50:50 at best. When they play well, they destroy teams. When they don't, they barely hold Roscommon to a draw. How close were Mayo to not even being in this final?

So if you were a betting man, the odds are on the Dubs to turn up and Mayo to not. If both teams turn up, you've got a great game to watch.

corny wrote: »
    This is all rubbish.

Post of the year! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Reread my post again. Let me put it as simply as I can just for your benefit.

Its rare that Dublin beat Mayo out the gate.
    Mayo should have beaten the great and almighty Jim Gavin teams on a number of occasions but for disastrous decisions on the sideline. The two teams are evenly matched. Unfortunately some of our managers had a habit of shooting themselves in the foot.

Dublin have not been vastly superior to Mayo in recent years. The 2015 replay was handed to Dublin in the last 10 minutes when Mayo decided they no longer needed a midfield. Aside from that, there's rarely been the kick of a ball between the sides.

Mayo have never beaten the "great and almighty Jim Gavin team" as you call it in what ten or eleven attempts?

If you think it was purely because of a succession of poor managers making poor decisions, that is your prerogative. Some of us think there is a bit more to it than that - Dublin having the better players and the better team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

PARlance wrote: »
    I wouldn't be the type to know where they are...

There used to be a Four Lanterns in Castlebar, it's a Supermacs now... have you been?

Ah here. That's shockin' bad knowledge of the history and kulchar of our glorious capital city....especially as you have probably walked passed the bleedin' yoke (usually balling your eyes out, if it's the 3rd Sunday in September :D ) walking up to Croker from Connolly/Busaras/the Luas, more often than you've had hot dinners.

Here is a clue.

It's a lamp.

There are five of them.

ccbe6b5e3b5bcd0e765feb9dd54bef6c.jpg

https://dublin.ie/living/articles/dublin-treasures-the-five-lamps/

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Ah here. That's is shockin' bad knowledge of the history and kulchar of our glorious capital city....especially as you have probably walked passed the bleedin' yoke (usually balling your eyes out, if it's the 3rd Sunday in September,) more often than you've had hot dinners.

Here is a clue.

It's a lamp.

There are five of them.

https://dublin.ie/living/articles/dublin-treasures-the-five-lamps/

I passed it on a daily basis not too many moons ago... before I got notions and moved South of the Liffey.

Twas my knowledge of D local kulchar that resulted in me saying that I didn't know where it was...

Good for you. It's good to know the official name. Oddly enough, refering to it as Skangerville sometimes offends. :o

Good for you. It's good to know the official name. Oddly enough, refering to it as Skangerville sometimes offends. :o

You'd pick up the pace walking home at night. The chipper just up the road was like a war zone.

ProudDUB wrote:
    Good for you. It's good to know the official name. Oddly enough, refering to it as Skangerville sometimes offends.

I'm just trying to get him to hang his bolxxx from the 5 lamps !!!!

He didn't fall for it though.

We'll get Yop closer to the day.

You'd pick up the pace walking home at night. The chipper just up the road was like a war zone.

I will not have one bad word said about that chipper. (If we're talking about the same one under the railway bridge.) They do the best Wurly Burger in the city. And that takes some doing !

PARlance wrote:
    I passed it on a daily basis not too many moons ago... before I got notions and moved South of the Liffey.

We can still tell the difference though.

I'm just trying to get him to hang his bolxxx from the 5 lamps !!!!

He didn't fall for it though.

We'll get Yop closer to the day.

The only thing Yop will be hanging off it, are fringed tassels and maybe a nice lampshade, in a muted shade of taupe or aubergine.

Remember what he is the mod of.... :P

I will not have one bad word said about that chipper. (If we're talking about the same one under the railway bridge.) They do the best Wurly Burger in the city. And that takes some doing !

Ah here, that's miles away. There's a chipper on North Strand Rd right beside the 5 lamps, across the road from the Strand House Pub / VEC building. Can't remember the name of the chipper, was too busy looking at the fights.

Typical Dub, lost in his own town.

• Advertisement

Gotcha. Considering that every second building, is a chipper, a bookies, a burnt out pub, or a vaping shop, it's easy to get mixed up. The only eatery I ever graced with my presence on a regular basis was Da Mimmo. And you'd be falling over so many Leinster rugby players, stuffing their gobs in that place, it just adds to all the confusion.

Eir 1 showed whole of 1983 final tonight.

That team never got credit for that achievement. Still my favourite Dublin AI victory, despite nearly ending up in black Hole of Calcutta at back of hill on way out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The bit that I took from it was any fella called 'Gummy' is almost guaranteed to be asking for trouble /' known to Gardai'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Bonniedog wrote:
    Eir 1 showed whole of 1983 final tonight.

You should have posted !! I'd love to see that one again

Only came across it by accident. Seems that Eir are starting to show a good few old games, although might only be for the week that's in it. I think the 2006 semi - which I certainly won't watch! - and 2013 final are on this week as well. will check details.

Big queue outside Dorset Street from early, despite people being told there was no need. such enthusiasm and lack of trust in bureaucrats :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

You should have posted !! I'd love to see that one again

Does be on about once a month

Dublin/Mayo 2006 tonight @ 9.30pm.

2013 final is on 9.30pm on Wednesday.

Bonniedog wrote: »

Think I know what night I'll be washing the hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bonniedog wrote: »

Won't be watching that Mayo match still baffles /annoys me why Shane Ryan was taken off when he was flying.
    Probably still would have lost to Kerry but still....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement