Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Won't be watching that Mayo match still baffles /annoys me why Shane Ryan was taken off when he was flying.
    Probably still would have lost to Kerry but still....

Didn't Kevin Bonner have a head injury or something and that forced the change....or am i just making that up.

11 years ago but both goalkeepers Clarke and Cluxton played in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

corny wrote: »
    Didn't Kevin Bonner have a head injury or something and that forced the change....or am i just making that up.

11 years ago but both goalkeepers Clarke and Cluxton played in that game.

Keith Higgins, Alan Dillon & Andy Moran also played from our current squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

PARlance wrote: »

Higgins got roasted that day by Alan Brogan but he still made the key block near the end after Vaughan's free; one of my favourite moments!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Won't be watching that Mayo match still baffles /annoys me why Shane Ryan was taken off when he was flying.
    Probably still would have lost to Kerry but still....

Not doubting you as haven't watched it or read anything about it since, but my recollection was that Shane was moved back into defence to try to protect the lead, and that Mayo then dominated midfield in his absence?

Also that subbing Vaughan for Mossie was key as Mossie would have scored at least one of the placed balls Vaughan missed.

And that, as Foresst gump said, is all I have to say about that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

Barry Moran came on as sub that day too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Not doubting you as haven't watched it or read anything about it since, but my recollection was that Shane was moved back into defence to try to protect the lead, and that Mayo then dominated midfield in his absence?

Also that subbing Vaughan for Mossie was key as Mossie would have scored at least one of the placed balls Vaughan missed.

And that, as Foresst gump said, is all I have to say about that :(

http://www.the42.ie/dublin-mayo-retro-liveblog-2006-2980792-Sep2016/

I just checked to make sure:

Ryan was removed @ 4:20PM
    Sub: Dublin bring in Declan Lally for Shane Ryan.

It was only at about the 60 minute mark Ryan was taken off in other words.

I was raging for the sake of ten minutes :o

Funny in my head I would have guessed much earlier.

You were spot on about Vaughan coming on and missing shots

I had forgotten all about that.

A bit more digging confirms it:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2006/0827/208454-mayo/
    Mark Vaughan entered the fray for Tomas Quinn and came within inches of giving Dublin the lead when he struck the post and Mayo went straight back up the pitch where McDonald gave his side the advantage once more.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

http://www.the42.ie/dublin-mayo-retro-liveblog-2006-2980792-Sep2016/

I just checked to make sure:

Ryan was removed @ 4:20PM
    Sub: Dublin bring in Declan Lally for Shane Ryan.

I was raging for the sake of ten minutes :o

Funny in my head I would have guessed much earlier.

You were spot on about Vaughan coming on and missing shots

I had forgotten all about that.

A bit more digging confirms it:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2006/0827/208454-mayo/
    Mark Vaughan entered the fray for Tomas Quinn and came within inches of giving Dublin the lead when he struck the post and Mayo went straight back up the pitch where McDonald gave his side the advantage once more.

You forgot about Vaughan?

It was the story of the day. That's like not remembering Ray Cosgrove when discussing 2002.

EDIT: Wasn't Mark part Mayo too?

We should start a self help group!

Funny the way that 2006 defeat hurts still even more than the serial hammerings by Tyrone and Kerry in the years afterwards.

Kerry were at their best in 2006 so we'd have gotten as much a tanking as Mayo did, but still.... it was like a major bursting of the balloon, and the silliness before the game did not help. Gavin wouldn't be out belting balls at Mayo physio if they went to the Hill. nor would the team be as easily psyched out.

Anyway, it is history now, but I refuse to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It was the best game of football i had seen up to that point tbh. Superceded by the 2008 AIF for starters.

My dislike for our SW "brethren" is well known. But my only wish after we'd been dispatched by Mayo was that they turn up on the 3rd Sunday. Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ryan was fantastic for Dublin, however I never saw him as a midfileder. I thought he was an excellent half-back who turned into free space a lot.

IMO Whelan only ever had one decent midfileder beside him in Darren Homan.
    He finished up too early IMO, I remember the Armagh boys hammering his shoulder when we all knew it was injured and it forced him out of senior football, the injury (back) not Armagh

But Homan was well able for all of them and he was badly missed.

Himself and Whelan with Ryan behind them would have been nice.

Did Homan win a Junior AI with Cooper, Bastic, O'Gara, ftz and Daly ?

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    Ryan was fantastic for Dublin, however I never saw him as a midfileder. I thought he was an excellent half-back who turned into free space a lot.

IMO Whelan only ever had one decent midfileder beside him in Darren Homan.
    He finished up too early IMO, I remember the Armagh boys hammering his shoulder when we all knew it was injured and it forced him out of senior football, the injury (back) not Armagh

But Homan was well able for all of them and he was badly missed.

Himself and Whelan with Ryan behind them would have been nice.

Did Homan win a Junior AI with Cooper, Bastic, O'Gara, ftz and Daly ?

Yeah spot on. But it was square pegs in round holes in them days.

That Junior final win (nearly 10 years ago now) was the basis for what was to come which is mad when you think about it. The real ground work was been laid then building confidence.
    At the time I thought it is the only sort of All-Ireland we will get!

I seemed to remember Coman Goggins returned to his roots and played for the Rossies.
    He missed his chance of an all-ireland by switching sides.

You forgot about Vaughan?

It was the story of the day. That's like not remembering Ray Cosgrove when discussing 2002.

EDIT: Wasn't Mark part Mayo too?

I think in tramatic events some people might block out the worse moments!
    It must be what happened to me! :D

It was the best game of football i had seen up to that point tbh. Superceded by the 2008 AIF for starters

I can remember clapping out of reflex at that McDonald point, while simultaneously saying 'Ah for f**ks sake!'

My dislike for our SW "brethren" is well known. But my only wish after we'd been dispatched by Mayo was that they turn up on the 3rd Sunday. Fail.

Spoke to a Kerry fella after the final. He looked like his team lost, ashen faced, and downbeat.

He said something to the effect of 'that was no final / it wasn't a football match'

The funny thing is I couldn't fathom that type of attitude at all until Dublin started steam-rolling teams in Leinster.

So it's going to be hard to name this team. I think we'll have some surprises. One or two

I keep thinking we'll see Bastic on the bench. But the closer to the day we get the less I think it.
    My usual midfiled concerns are still there but not as much as before for some reason, I think it's the flexibility in the half-backs like McCarthy and O'Sullivan, additionally Kilkenny can play there. I never liked McCarthy at midfield, possibly because outside of Cluxton I think he's Dublin's most important player and Imo hands down the best half-back Dublin have ever had in my time watching football.
    However he's played some good games there for Dublin recently and it allows him to push up and interact more with the forwards.

I predict Boyle and himself getting to know each other better on the day if they are closer together. He'll certainly aim to keep Higgins and Boyle more focused on defense.

Mayo are much improved on last year imo. Some of their forwards are getting a bit more respect out there like Doherthy, they are more confident and established, it took some amount of time all the same, the same lad appeared as if he couldn't kick snow of a rope on the big day three years ago.
    Andy Moran is playing great stuff, but we've had a good look at him. I'd imagine a smaller nippy defender will be put on him again to get out in front of him.

At midfiled I wouldn't be surprised if MDMA started, I don't know if he's fit but he's a great option for AOS. I suggested before the last Mayo game that AOS could look at MDMAs ability to play at midfiled, run the ball and track back to help the full backs, he did it against Kerry and Mayo last year. It wasn't exactly how it happened but AOS did something similar in the Kerry replay, those basketballers are handy in the square.

If AOS plays his own game then I think he can be picked up. Dublin don't have a Donaghy for him to track, that's unfortunate in many ways, but at the same time AOS won't be able to pick up any of the Dublin forwards that started against Tyrone and follow them around and have anything left in the tank for contributing eleswhere for long, he could do it with Rock maybe. That would suit us

TBH I think he'd be a bad choice FB for Mayo against Dublin, I hope they play him there. Either way a fit MDMA has IMO had the measure of him more times than not.

Mayo have also found a home for Higgins, it's great for them as playing him at corner back on lads like Andrews and Rock has given Dublin many scores against Mayo. I think they've decided not to have him man marking and he's playing to his strengths.

So with Mayo's improved A Moran, Doherty. The half-back line looking rebuilt, we are looking at a different animal to last year.

Rochford has brought more out of these players, found better homes for them.

What about the Dubs. This year we are starting with our best HB in midfield and he's doing well.
    Why? possibly McCaffery being back with the team now and Lowdnes stepping up. So that's a big improvement IMO.

Mannion and O'Callaghan. Mannion's over all contribution is vastly improved, he will require one of Mayo's best on the day, seeing who can turn the dual in their favour will be critical IMO.
    Plus he's a great eye for goal, you wouldn't want to leave him behind you.
    O'Callaghan, who knows here, he might be marked out of the game, that said his movement and understanding of the half forward position is very promising, he seems to have a lot of natural ability, I think he'll be a great Dublin player I hope he plays well, I honestly don't know who Mayo will put on him. I don't think he suits Keegan, like Brogan he doesn't seem to react to niggly stuff at all, his jink might be too nippy for Higgins and Boyle, I think Harrison might be given the job and he's capable of keeping most quiet.

Subs
    O'Gara would be a serious option for that Mayo back line IMO. If he can get his shooting boots on I can't see a Mayo defender that's strong enough for him.

The starting midfield will have a significant impact on the game imo.
    The temptation to throw MDMA on late in the game must be significant for Gavin. It's one area that i don't think Mayo have an answer for.
    There's something about the fluid movement of the team lately that makes me almost certain that MDMA, Brogan, Connelly won't start.

Outside chance that Howard will be on the bench, and further out again Schutte. I think Howard would trouble Mayo late in the game.

I think it will be a hard game, both sets of forwards are going to face much tougher defenses.
    Both sets of charging half-backs will be tracked very hard.

Like the last day my main wish is that Cian O'Sullivan plays well. He plays the sweeper position differently to the Mayo lads, hopefully he holds things together and watches for Keegan, Boyle and Higgins running through.

In my mind I see multiple of outcomes. They will all go out the window one we get punched in the face on game day.

I can see Mayo winning, but I think Dublin will do it. In opposition to the current position that 15 to 15 the teams are equal, I don't agree with that. I see a number of Dublin players that are better than their Mayo equivalent. That won't win me many friends but that's my thoughts on it. That said there's not a whole lot in it, and is a team effort.

I'm 70 percent that Dublin will do it.

I hope it's not a draw, that might change though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Stoner wrote: »

Subs
    O'Gara would be a serious option for that Mayo back line IMO. If he can get his shooting boots on I can't see a Mayo defender that's strong enough for )

O'Gara might even be a good man to start, he needs minding and they'll tie one of their good players up on him

Problem is, he might win a lot of posession but there are days when he couldn't hit a bus with beach ball

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Bambi wrote: »
    O'Gara might even be a good man to start, he needs minding and they'll tie one of their good players up on him

Problem is, he might win a lot of posession but there are days when he couldn't hit a bus with beach ball

Not sure who he would come in for - Mannion maybe. Dublin FF line at a bit of a height disadvantage as it is.

I think O'Garas role whether he starts or otherwise, is to win ball and lay it on for others. He does that better than any of the other FF line options.

If you were Brendan Harrison, would rather be up against Mannion or O'Gara?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I would play O'Gara for Andrews on Sunday. Instruct him to stand on the edge of the square for the 70 minutes.

Mayo would have to either double-team him or put Aidan O'Shea back on him. If his only contribution to the game was to tie those defenders down, there would be enough space for the rest of the team to score plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

blanch152 wrote: »
    I would play O'Gara for Andrews on Sunday. Instruct him to stand on the edge of the square for the 70 minutes.

Mayo would have to either double-team him or put Aidan O'Shea back on him. If his only contribution to the game was to tie those defenders down, there would be enough space for the rest of the team to score plenty.

That would be my thought too - O'Gara has been instrumental in creating numerous goal chances against Mayo over the years, they really struggle with his physicality and style of play

DoctaDee wrote: »
    That would be my thought too - O'Gara has been instrumental in creating numerous goal chances against Mayo over the years, they really struggle with his physicality and style of play

A few weeks ago, I thought it might be a potential curveball but I just cannot see O'Gara starting at all.

That type of player is a worry but I would honestly be delighted to see him start. If Dublin's plan was to target him, then it takes so much threat away from other areas. I would take my chances with dealing with O'Gara for the first 50 mins than having to deal with constant running / recycling / good medium - long range point taking.

If I was Gavin I would consider O'Gara, Connelly, Brogan as a trio that would change the dynamics of the game. Connelly will slow it down and can put in good ball inside better than most... having a fresh O'Gara and Brogan inside for the last 15-20 mins would be a massive headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

He's a good record against Mayo but as there are days when he can be very erratic.I do not believe we'll double mark him if he's named.On occasion his lack of discipline can be an issue.

In spite of the perceived frailties of the Mayo full back line I doubt he'll start on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

A few weeks ago, I thought it might be a potential curveball but I just cannot see O'Gara starting at all.

That type of player is a worry but I would honestly be delighted to see him start. If Dublin's plan was to target him, then it takes so much threat away from other areas. I would take my chances with dealing with O'Gara for the first 50 mins than having to deal with constant running / recycling / good medium - long range point taking.

If I was Gavin I would consider O'Gara, Connelly, Brogan as a trio that would change the dynamics of the game. Connelly will slow it down and can put in good ball inside better than most... having a fresh O'Gara and Brogan inside for the last 15-20 mins would be a massive headache.

Dublin wouldn't be so one-dimensional to use O'Gara as a target-man all the time. They know he will win one-on-one ball with any defender other than an O'Shea who might outfield him. If he is double-teamed Dublin will ignore the ball into him and use the other attackers who have more space - advantage Dublin. If an O'Shea is marking him, well then Mayo are losing something out the field - advantage Dublin.

Mayo will be expecting Dublin to set-up the way they did in the last few games. O'Gara from the start is a curve-ball that they may not know what to do with. He is the type of player who could score nothing and contribute little from open play but be a massive influence because of the way the opposition react.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lifestyle are selling Dublin (and Mayo) jerseys for €45 instead of the usual €65 at the moment. I'm not aware of any kit change for next year, so this is probably the cheapest you'll get the current kit if you're looking for it.

Dublin wouldn't be so one-dimensional to use O'Gara as a target-man all the time. They know he will win one-on-one ball with any defender other than an O'Shea who might outfield him. If he is double-teamed Dublin will ignore the ball into him and use the other attackers who have more space - advantage Dublin. If an O'Shea is marking him, well then Mayo are losing something out the field - advantage Dublin.

Mayo will be expecting Dublin to set-up the way they did in the last few games. O'Gara from the start is a curve-ball that they may not know what to do with. He is the type of player who could score nothing and contribute little from open play but be a massive influence because of the way the opposition react.

It's O'Gara, not Donaghy. No disrespect to him but he isn't in the same league. He is a danger, just not as dangerous.

I wasn't saying Dublin would go one dimensional but the main worry I have is that they'll keep ball and pick away points at will like against Tyrone. Starting O'Gara would take away from that and that would be welcome imo.

I think he would do far more damage later on when it loosens up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Not a hope in hell of O'Gara starting. He is way too unpredictible and inconsistent. He is tailor made for the last 20 miutes, when pretty much anything goes...but not the first 20, when we are still setting out our stall and we need steady hands at the wheel.

Btw, why is Philly hitting a tractor tire with a sledgehammer? And whose job is it, to source said tractor tyre and sledgehammer and bring them to training? The kit man? :confused::confused::confused:

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/907999473942528005

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

O'Gara is not capable of staying on the pitch for 70 mins. He's guaranteed a yellow within 5 mins of coming on as a sub!!!!!!

If we start O' Gara we'll be down to 14 men at half time. Let him make the impact off the bench with 15mins to go. That's about as long as he can restrain himself for:D

That's a risk alright. I agree he's not Donaghy, however there's few who can bust out to get a ball at chest height ahead of him.
    It's what he does with it that's a worry.
    His shots range from unbelievably wide to rockets.
    He's best laying it off and very good at it too.
    AOS isn't Donaghy either, he's scored very little against Dublin and gets caught up in midfield tangles where he's often nullified. He spends a lot of time barging with Martin on the box calling for frees for him leading with his elbow. But it's barging at the end if the day, punch the ground all you want.

I think last year AOS and O'Gara were both blown up for barging very close together , it was a good moment for the ref. MDMA does it too.

I wouldn't start O'Gara ether as Gavin subs the yellow carded lads first, its the message to the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Make 5 substitutions after 10 minutes for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell of O'Gara starting. He is way too unpredictible and inconsistent. He is tailor made for the last 20 miutes, when pretty much anything goes...but not the first 20, when we are still setting out our stall and we need steady hands at the wheel.

Btw, why is Philly hitting a tractor tire with a sledgehammer? And whose job is it, to source said tractor tyre and sledgehammer and bring them to training? The kit man? :confused::confused::confused:

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/907999473942528005

Whacking tractor tyres was all the rage in MMA years back, and flipping them and rolling them. Then it spread to crossfit (god help us)

I'd say Philly picked it up from Owen Roddy or something

Or, maybe tractors are just a way of visualizing Mayo :D

Not sure about O'Gara but Dublin might do well to try something left field and tie down Mayo. He is an option, as is Brogan who was constant thorn in their side in 2013. Certainly do not want them establishing sort of dominance they did against Princes in last two games.

Dublin won't get same possession as against Tyrone - Mayo have narrowly shaded that in last 4 championship meetings I think - so unlikely to be a case of Dublin pushing up and holding the ball up for 40/50 seconds until a gap appears. Mayo are only team able to match Dublin physically and in aggression levels.

Will possibly need something out of the box to make a difference for either.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote:
    Whacking tractor tyres was all the rage in MMA years back, and flipping them and rolling them.

Mayo lads get them for free and on their doorstep.
    They have everything

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement