Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

If Dublin had lost there would have been questions asked.

I agree, the O'Gara experiment didn't work

Flynn and not lowndes on for McCaffery

And with the struggle to get the ball into the forwards I really though MDMA on at 55 minutes would have closed out the game, I think he must be injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I think today shows how much McCaffrey brings to us going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Bambi wrote: »

I get the impression that if he hadn't got injured today he was heading for MOTM big time. Looked really up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I'm not sure the EOG call was a bad one. The injury to Jack Mc had us all over the shop until halftime. It happened so early in the game and to be honest bringing Flynn on only helped in confusing the team a bit. We missed his driving runs that would have made space for EOG inside.

I thought it was a great game that went back and forth numerous times. It was also a lot cleaner than last year's game. Dublin Joe is getting a lot of flack but bar missing a clear black card for AOS at the very start of the second half I think he was alright.

Delighted for Gavin, the backroom team and all the players. Such a special bunch, we are lucky to have them.

This Mayo team are also a special bunch, they keep coming back after so many heartbreaking days and their supporters are amazing. Just a shame they've run into this Dublin team.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bambi wrote: »

You think today shows how much Jack Flash means to us?

Today.

You've only figured this out today?

Where the fcuk have you been for the past four years? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You think today shows how much Jack Flash means to us?

Today.

You've only figured this out today?

Where the fcuk have you been for the past four years? :p

Quinns☺☺☺

Donal55 wrote: »
    Quinns☺☺☺

Surely nobody still goes to that hell-hole anymore?

JRant wrote: »
    Surely nobody still goes to that hell-hole anymore?

Have been known to fall into it.

And out of it.

I hope your jabs are up to date. :rolleyes:

Have been known to fall into it.

And out of it.

Haha, I wouldn't darken that places doorstep even if they were giving the drink away for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

History has been updated

Fa4o5BE.jpg

Raised on Songs and Stories.....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

JRant wrote:
    Haha, I wouldn't darken that places doorstep even if they were giving the drink away for free.

Exactly

Raised on Songs and Stories.....

Where's the vest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Raised on songs and stories....heros of renown....altogether now...

I love these nights, let us enjoy them when they are here!

Stoner wrote: »
    Where's the vest

Here ya go !

Here is to all the Dubs long gone, those who have made us what we are, and those who who make nights like tonight, so special and music filled ....Heffo, Luke, Ronnie, Banjo Barney from Donneycarney.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I will be honest I think Dublin did not deserve it.

But Mayo kicked it away and had a great goal chance. The difference in quality of sub's was always going to make the difference.

Jim got his tactics @rseways and got away with it starting EOG and going the direct style of play instead of the usual lateral stuff was a big mistake.

If Dublin had lost there would have been questions asked.

Three in a row.
    Delighted to win it

But be honest it was a bit on the jammy side.
    Maybe the cliche is true a good team knows how to win despite playing badly.

God help teams if the Dubs actually click in a final.
    Four in a row is the next target those Kerry young pups will be snapping at Dublin's heels fairly soon.

Dublin were poor in the first half. Things didn't go their way - McCaffrey injury, O'Gara selection backfired. Mayo seemed sharper to every breaking ball.

But I thought Dublin were absolutely superb in the 2nd half and are not getting the credit they deserve. They scored some amazing points. McCarthy's points were class. Look at McManaman's point at start of second half. Connolly's point after he was fouled about 3 times. Mannion's runs. Rock's free. All of these were quality scores. Connolly's pass was another highlight. McCarthy making a brilliant mark from a Mayo kick out. They were fantastic and they had to be to beat a Mayo team that played really well.

Dublin were poor in the first half. Things didn't go their way - McCaffrey injury, O'Gara selection backfired. Mayo seemed sharper to every breaking ball.

But I thought Dublin were absolutely superb in the 2nd half and are not getting the credit they deserve. They scored some amazing points. McCarthy's points were class. Look at McManaman's point at start of second half. Connolly's point after he was fouled about 3 times. Mannion's runs. Rock's free. All of these were quality scores. Connolly's pass was another highlight. McCarthy making a brilliant mark from a Mayo kick out. They were fantastic and they had to be to beat a Mayo team that played really well.

Thought McMenaman played really well. Made plenty of runs which put Mayo on the backfoot all of the time. Was also on the Dublin goal line in the 76 th minute to take the pass from Cluxton.
    Quality Team player.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Thought McMenaman played really well. Made plenty of runs which put Mayo on the backfoot all of the time. Was also on the Dublin goal line in the 76 th minute to take the pass from Cluxton.
    Quality Team player.

He was brilliant second half, some questionable decision making, but he's an absolute machine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Quality Team player.

Totally agree. he epitomizes what a team player really is. always unselfish.
    I would actually have him on the short-list for MOTM today.
    Laughable when AOS is short-listed by his Sunday Game buddies when he is the polar opposite of McManinim.
    A host of Mayo players today were more deserving than AOS.

Quality Team player.

Yeah, he was superb. I thought Connolly was more pivotal to Dublin's 2nd half performance though. I would love to see how many possessions he had. He essentially took on the role Kilkenny usually does for them linking defence & attack. With the exception of 1 silly shot, he made the right decision every time he got the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Commiserations Parlance and other Mayo people.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Commiserations Parlance and other Mayo people.

Can't see a final win in the near future after today. Some decisions did not go our way once again but our finishing in the forwards is still lacking and very costly today.

Put it this way, if you had the Mayo first 9 and Kerry front 6 i think that team would be on for several in a row. Its the quality in the forwards that we are missing.

Unfortunately this team is getting old and like most counties we have a very limited pool of players, every single sub today weakened us further. This Dublin team will probably be even stronger next year, there talent pool is unlimited 1.4 Million to pick from. There is no county going to have 25 top quality footballers as Dublin do. Having just 15 is pointless, you just get what has happened Mayo for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Congrats to the Dubs. They really are an incredible team. I'm gutted as a Mayo fan that our greatest team of all time keeps coming up short against them but they've earned every win.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,399 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

blanch152 wrote: »
    McCarthy is young enough to lead this team for another five/six years.

great footballer and recent events in my life have shown me the man is as class a guy away from the pitch as he is on it. Delighted for the whole squad, their families and all Dubs supporting worldwide...roll on '18

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Waking up as All Ireland Champions is a great feeling.

What a battle! Great to come out on top again.

A poor first half from us. What is it with Dublin and All Ireland finals?? The O'Gara experiment just didnt work, was there any need to change things up? In fairness to O'Gara, he didnt get the kind of ball he needs. We just didnt click offensively in the first half. The Mayo defence very good man markers tbf to them.
    Cluxton did well, it just shows that when we dont retain possession from every single kick out, the standards he has set. Kicked some lovely balls out the field.
    Losing McCaffrey a massive loss though, he's one of those players i dont think we can afford to lose. Flynn wasnt the right man to come in though, it should have been Lowndes. Flynn was fukcing terrible truth be told.
    Mick Fitz absolutely owned Moran, just as i expected him to, and then as a Mayo fan you wonder where the scores would come from, O'Connor just doesnt have the class or bottle to put over big scores, in big games. Dean Rock, after a poor start, showed how its done under pressure and why he's hands down the best in the Country.

The 2nd half was much poor like it. If we played like that from the get go, with those tactics, i feel we could have won it a bit easier. One of these days we'll play at full tilt in an AI final!
    Mannion woke up and was excellent. Connolly and Kev Mc coming on made a massive difference, Connolly was immense and could have been MOTM. Shows what he can do and its not always about scores with him. Thats why Rochford had Keegan on him last year.
    The Donal Vaughan red just shows the mentality of Mayo, too interested in throwing their weight around in off the ball stuff instead of playing football. Always at it.
    Felt we were going well and getting away from them when they got that goal against the run of play, they got confidence from that and went a few up. But as per usual we came back into it brilliantly, didnt panic and showing unbelievable composure. Those 2 points from James McCarthy - wow. What a man and rightly MOTM.
    I didnt think i was free for COC at the start of stoppage time, looked like Fitz got out in front but O'Connor threw a tantrum and got it. He then celebrated getting the free and continued to miss tricky frees in big games as he tends to do.

Step up Dean Rock :)

BOOM

PS - i had 10 quid on Con first goal :D What a time to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

O'Gara selection backfired because it was flat out wrong! He shouldn't be starting Provincial matches never mind an AI final. Sorry to be negative after such a big achievement but it was a strange strange call that I completely disagreed with.

2nd half we were a new side, I thought we were really dominant from the break up until the red cards/Mayo goal which happened quickly and changed the momentum. This is a clutch team though, 2 points down with 62 minutes on the clock there probably wasn't a Dublin fan who didn't have confidence that we would come back, which speaks volumes about this team. They just know how to grind out these tough games time after time after time.

O'Gara selection backfired because it was flat out wrong! He shouldn't be starting Provincial matches never mind an AI final. Sorry to be negative after such a big achievement but it was a strange strange call that I completely disagreed with.

2nd half we were a new side, I thought we were really dominant from the break up until the red cards/Mayo goal which happened quickly and changed the momentum. This is a clutch team though, 2 points down with 62 minutes on the clock there probably wasn't a Dublin fan who didn't have confidence that we would come back, which speaks volumes about this team. They just know how to grind out these tough games time after time after time.

I understood why Gavin did it though. Mayo have struggled against very strong full forwards - comer cause don't havoc for Galway v Mayo. And Donaghy for Kerry v Mayo. O'gara also performed very well against Mayo in previous matches. I was surprised he started but I could see the rationale behind it even if it turned out to be the wrong call.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,146 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just want say well done and can I just say from watching Gaelic Football from around 89-1990 this has been best team in my lifetime.

And the way players conduct themselves is also a credit. No BS and very professional.

Enjoy and I doubt it will be the last this decade anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I understood why Gavin did it though. Mayo have struggled against very strong full forwards - comer cause don't havoc for Galway v Mayo. And Donaghy for Kerry v Mayo. O'gara also performed very well against Mayo in previous matches. I was surprised he started but I could see the rationale behind it even if it turned out to be the wrong call.

This is going to sound harsh but there isn't a tactical situation where I would start EOG. He's a very good athlete with erratic handling, shooting and a dangerous temper. There are much better forwards in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In fairness to O'Gara the battle was being lost in the middle of the pitch so he wasn't get much decent ball in but yeah his shooting is patchy at best but his handling has come on a lot this year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement