Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I have a defense mechanism, I refuse to have any sympathy for losing teams. To have sympathy after a game opens emotional and match related discussion to the point where you nearly feel bad for winning, they've never given out medals for moral victories.

I sat in 2 championship winning dressing rooms without a thought or care for the 25 odd lads down the corridor, knowing full well that everyone of them would've felt somewhat similar if the shoe was on the other foot.

I walked out of Croker yesterday elated with the result and completely drained .. and I genuinely felt sorry for Mayo ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Yeah Dublin were outstanding in second half

Bar connolly's hail mary did they do anything silly?

I did think Rock should have stitched his chance though, even if he did get the point. A goal was probably game over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I have a defense mechanism, I refuse to have any sympathy for losing teams. To have sympathy after a game opens emotional and match related discussion to the point where you nearly feel bad for winning, they've never given out medals for moral victories.

I sat in 2 championship winning dressing rooms without a thought or care for the 25 odd lads down the corridor, knowing full well that everyone of them would've felt somewhat similar if the shoe was on the other foot.

I walked out of Croker yesterday elated with the result and completely drained .. and I genuinely felt sorry for Mayo ..

Personally I dont really.

There is the best team in the country - Dublin

Then there are the other teams in the top tier - Kerry and Mayo.

Then there is a mid -tier that might win their provincial championships but (as we've seen) any talk of them winning an all-ireland was nonsense
    - Tyrone, Monaghan, Donegal, Roscommon, Galway, Cork.

And then you have teams that might have run in the qualifiers; but really given their history, thats not much to get excited about.
    - Meath, Down, Kildare, Cavan, Armagh

And then there's the rest.

Mayo are in a much better place than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd have sympathy for mayo supporters, they're usually decent skins.

No sympathy for that most of that Mayo team. Beating them just makes the win all the sweeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Congratulations on your win,tis our misfortune in recent years to have run into one of the greatest teams in the history of the GAA.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    I'd have sympathy for mayo supporters, they're usually decent skins.

No sympathy for that most of that Mayo team. Beating them just makes the win all the sweeter.

Yeah it was more the manner of the defeat than any sentiment of them losing - a 20 point win would've suited me just grand. But just to watch them trudge back up Clonliffe after another 1 point loss with a further 4/5 hour drive ahead of them you couldn't but feel sorry for them - unless yer one of those fellas that pulled the wings off butterflies as a young lad of course ........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

seligehgit wrote: »
    Congratulations on your win,tis our misfortune in recent years to have run into one of the greatest teams in the history of the GAA.

Happens to the best. When they are oul fellas they'll remember that they crowed on a fence.

Yeah it was more the manner of the defeat than any sentiment of them losing - a 20 point win would've suited me just grand. But just to watch them trudge back up Clonliffe after another 1 point loss with a further 4/5 hour drive ahead of them you couldn't but feel sorry for them - unless yer one of those fellas that pulled the wings off butterflies as a young lad of course ........

Or caterpillars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bambi wrote:
    Or caterpillars

Beats jumping over sharks, I've been at it since yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Was watching Colum O'Rourke last night.

Isn't he very concerned with the young Dublin footballers who don't their game for Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Won't somebody think of the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Homecoming celebration anyone ? Get the last of yer flags, hats & headbands now...

Cheeky Charlies...two fer a fiver now....get the last of the choc ices now...last of the choc ices.....Christmas wrapping paper, 10 sheets fer a pow-int....get yer Christmas wrapping paper!

(I'm clearly not right in the head today. ;) )

Stoner wrote: »

Giving that thread a WIDE berth .. one of the other Mods pulled the curtains on it, fair play :D

Was watching Colum O'Rourke last night.

Isn't he very concerned with the young Dublin footballers who don't their game for Dublin

I've 2 young lads gonna train their socks off to represent Fingal .. come on you boys, come on you boys in purple

I've 2 young lads gonna train their socks off to represent Fingal .. come on you boys, come on you boys in purple

My young girl gonna play for Dublin ladies.
    She's not 3 months yet, but I see immense potential already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Happy Days. Enjoy it while ye can;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Just watching the game again. The face of Rochford in the slow motion replay of the red card was tragic. I'm a Dub but you could tell he knew it was going to cost them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

jr86 wrote: »
    Yeah Dublin were outstanding in second half

Bar connolly's hail mary did they do anything silly?

I did think Rock should have stitched his chance though, even if he did get the point. A goal was probably game over

Thought rock did right thing. If he missed goal chance, Mayo would have gotten such a boost. Dublin may not have recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Dublin have so much advantage over the rest of the counties that they have no excuses for not winning easily every year. I'm not trolling by the way-genuinely believe that.

Huge playing population.

Huge money ploughed in.

Great resources all located in a small geographical area. Best of everything provided.

Back room team looking after every possible area of the preparation and all headed up by the great Jim Gavin...it's no wonder he's so modest.

He knows well that the dubs have no excuses.

Dublin have so much advantage over the rest of the counties that they have no excuses for not winning easily every year. I'm not trolling by the way-genuinely believe that.

Huge playing population.

Huge money ploughed in.

Great resources all located in a small geographical area. Best of everything provided.

Back room team looking after every possible area of the preparation and all headed up by the great Jim Gavin...it's no wonder he's so modest.

He knows well that the dubs should have no excuses.

I hear Philly had his car clamped and he left where it was cos he can just get another one off Subaru

Outrageous :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Huge playing population.

Huge money ploughed in.

He knows well that the dubs have no excuses.

So why are they not winning the Hurling Championship every year?
    Why are they not winning the club championships every year?
    Why are they not winning the minor/u21 championships every year?
    What is it that Mayo are doing that the other 29 counties can't do?

Do you honestly think if Galway were given 25 million a year for the next 5 years that they would have the players to win an all Ireland in that time? Of course they wouldn't - because the work in Dublin has been done at underage - Dublin went 16 years without a championship - they didn't complain, they put the resources in underage, worked hard and got their just rewards.

Winners breed winners, it's why Dublin win so much, perhaps if Mayo took the league a bit more serious and won it they would have the belief that that can win more.

We've seen what can be done if a group of lads come together and decide to get physical fit and work hard - like Donegal did - it wasn't pretty but they had a plan - but then what happened - they all partied hard and lost the hunger and basically were never the same team again. Jim has the Dublin team disciplined and the players all know how to behave and what will happen if they don't.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Winners breed winners, it's why Dublin win so much,

Literally.

Could be wrong but I think it's five lads on that pitch yesterday who have oul lads that played for Dublin and three of those have All Irelands.

Money can't buy ye that

Bambi wrote: »
    Literally.

Could be wrong but I think it's five lads on that pitch yesterday who have oul lads that played for Dublin and three of those have All Irelands.

Money can't buy ye that

Dublin has *unfair* advantages and I'm waiting for someone to prove me wrong on that.

Money. Playing population. Resources. Dublin has it all compared to the rest of the country.

Dublin has *unfair* advantages and I'm waiting for someone to prove me wrong on that.

Money. Playing population. Resources. Dublin has it all compared to the rest of the country.

Devilish good looks, don't forget that.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Devilish good looks, don't forget that.

In fairness most Dublin people agree they have that *unfair* advantage when the issues are discussed. It's no shame.

It's just the reality of it and it partly explains why Gavin is such an understated modest man. He knows that Dublin can have no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

In fairness most Dublin people agree they have that *unfair* advantage when the issues are discussed. It's no shame.

It's just the reality of it and it partly explains why Gavin is such an understated modest man. He knows that Dublin can have no excuses.

You seem to be ignore my post on both threads, wonder why that is...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

You seem to be able to read a lot of minds.

Or else you're just stating your opinion as fact...............

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ace2007 wrote: »
    You seem to be ignore my post on both threads, wonder why that is...

Maybe they don't have the resources to read your posts , only share their wisdom?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ah c'mon folks...don't feed the you know whats.

They've already gotten other threads locked with their shyte. Don't take the bait and give them what they want - to get this one locked too.

• Advertisement

"ProudDUB wrote: »

They've already gotten other threads locked with their shyte. Don't take the bait and give them what they want - to get this one locked too.

I'll guarantee ya that won't happen here .. this is a refuge from the range of bewildering comment on other threads and I'll be shot with balls of my own shyte before we have to engage in thrust and parry with people that won't let us enjoy the fantastic accomplishment of yesterday. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement