Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Wouldn't have your gig for love nor money mate. That lifetime supply of free coke and hookers, just doesn't seem all that appealing, especially at this time of year. :rolleyes:

Anyone head down to Smithfield this evening? Great craic. Kev Mc and Philly the stars of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

If a decision was made to split the county - I'd honestly never go to another game (this fella just framed his 15, 16 and 17 hill tickets and placed them under his framed 95 ticket!!!!). I was from South Dublin, lived Northside for 12 years, my da is from the nother inner city - I don't do that north/ south sh1t.

Never hear this argument about Kilkenny - teams have dominated over periods - this is our stint.

Suck it up and raise the bar if you want to come to the big sheads in September (soon to be August!)

I feel as privileged as any one looking on nearly a century ago at the last three of a row. I was there for a peice of the Capitals sporting history.

I'm not going to let begrugers and bitter meely mouthed representivies of parishes beyond the pale to try and p1ss on the parade.

I'll gladly post a pic of the framed 15, 16 and 17 tickets - the 11 and the 95* so you can get a glimpse of what its like - the wilderness and the harvest.

* My what's app profile pic is Charlie Redmond remonstrating with Paddy Russell as the ref points to the Line again in 95 - I bumped into Charlie after the game yesterday and felt compelled to 'share' had a great laugh! He's a gent and spent a huge amount of time with supporters - never refused a pic - class act.

Go mbeire muid beo ar an am seo aris!

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Wouldn't have your gig for love nor money mate. That lifetime supply of free coke and hookers, just doesn't seem all that appealing, especially at this time of year. :rolleyes:

Anyone head down to Smithfield this evening? Great craic. Kev Mc and Philly the stars of the show.

Great comment about the GPS unit saying the Mayo county board must be made of money - we take ours home!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

IRE60 wrote: »
    If a decision was made to split the county - I'd honestly never go to another game (this fella just framed his 15, 16 and 17 hill tickets and placed them under his framed 95 ticket!!!!). I was from South Dublin, lived Northside for 12 years, my da is from the nother inner city - I don't do that north/ south sh1t.

Never hear this argument about Kilkenny - teams have dominated over periods - this is our stint.

Suck it up and raise the bar if you want to come to the big sheads in September (soon to be August!)

I feel as privileged as any one looking on nearly a century ago at the last three of a row. I was there for a peice of the Capitals sporting history.

I'm not going to let begrugers and bitter meely mouthed representivies of parishes beyond the pale to try and p1ss on the parade.

I'll gladly post a pic of the framed 15, 16 and 17 tickets - the 11 and the 95* so you can get a glimpse of what its like - the wilderness and the harvest.

* My what's app profile pic is Charlie Redmond remonstrating with Paddy Russell as the ref points to the Line again in 95 - I bumped into Charlie after the game yesterday and felt compelled to 'share' had a great laugh! He's a gent and spent a huge amount of time with supporters - never refused a pic - class act.

Go mbeire muid beo ar an am seo aris!

I wouldnt be too worried there is zero chance of it happening, its just one of those things that people bring up occasionally on forums like this, its like when people argue that their bench is amazing or that a particular tactic will be used against the opposition, it means nothing although its like the person making the argument thinks that by suggesting something on the internet that it becomes a real thing. It will never happen because its absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Was listening to the newstalk head-the-ball shower, didn't realise until I listened to those gob****es that Mayo actually bet us out the gate in a masterclass of football

the level of delusion is hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Bambi wrote: »
    Was listening to the newstalk head-the-ball shower, didn't realise until I listened to those gob****es that Mayo actually bet us out the gate in a masterclass of football

Oh the irony :rolleyes:

IRE60 wrote: »
    Great comment about the GPS unit saying the Mayo county board must be made of money - we take ours home!!!!!

Yeah, then said that the Dubs wouldn't dream of throwing theirs away, because they are far too expensive. Priceless !

Love the loose and easy feel of the homecomings. Lots of lads ripping the piss, in ways that would never happen, when Claire McNamara has a microphone shoved in your face immediately after a game. I've a feeling the DCB will be throwing up severely edited highlights of tonights festivities, if they put them up at all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bambi wrote: »

Today FM with Matt "I hate Dublin" Cooper, Paul Kimmage and Martin Carney was as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

It's pathetic really. Everyone's fault but their own. Every single year.

Great reading for us though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Dublin have so much advantage over the rest of the counties that they have no excuses for not winning easily every year. I'm not trolling by the way-genuinely believe that.

Huge playing population.

Huge money ploughed in.

Great resources all located in a small geographical area. Best of everything provided.

Back room team looking after every possible area of the preparation and all headed up by the great Jim Gavin...it's no wonder he's so modest.

He knows well that the dubs have no excuses.

In fairness to Mayo....sure Mayo people could not wait to get out of Mayo in the 60s 70s and 80s.
    That emigration killed Mayo but gave us the likes of Kevin McManamon who has Mayo cousins!

If anything you should be pleased for Dublin. Giving country folk employment, fine women, and a chance to have a more civilised upbringing.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Today FM with Matt "I hate Dublin" Cooper, Paul Kimmage and Martin Carney was as bad.

I believe cooper said he was near Rock when the GPS ended up on the pitch - it was simply pure flustration - his words - well timed and intensioned malace I'd say

In fairness to Mayo....sure Mayo people could not wait to get out of Mayo in the 60s 70s and 80s.
    That emigration killed Mayo but gave us the likes of Kevin McManamon who has Mayo cousins!

If anything you should be pleased for Dublin. Giving country folk employment, fine women, and a chance to have a more civilised upbringing.

If ye can avoid being shot, stabbed or mugged by a junkie that is! :)

If ye can avoid being shot, stabbed or mugged by a junkie that is! :)

What happens if the junkie is from Castlebar? Just ask Jonny Cooper.

( Edit: Sorry. Cooper's assailant was from Swinford. Which I'm sure is just as delightful as Castlebar.;) )

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What happens if the junkie is from Castlebar? Just ask Jonny Cooper.

( Edit: Sorry. Cooper's assailant was from Swinford. Which I'm sure is just as delightful as Castlebar.;) )

Not quite as delightful.

Still better than many places in Dublin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭kyote00

kyote00 wrote: »

Does that figure include all spending at all levels including for games development?

I thought not!

I believe Dublin receive more for games development from the GAA every year than the other 31 counties combined.

Don't be embarrasing yourself any further....

You can't pick one number that suits you and ignore the rest....

The audited GAA accounts for 2016 give a full picture of funding to the various counties....(page 150 "payments to clubs and counties")

Cork were the highest at 2.6m - Dublin got 2.2m out of a total of approx 38m ....

At the top of that list you will see that Connaught manages to spend 295k on "admin" ---- thats nearly 10 times what all other counties spend....I think you should look closer to home to see where the money is going ....

http://www.gaa.ie/mm/Document/GaaIe/GAANews/13/56/51/GAAAnnualreportandaccounts2016_English.pdf

Does that figure include all spending at all levels including for games development?

I thought not!

I believe Dublin receive more for games development from the GAA every year than the other 31 counties combined.

Don't be embarrasing yourself any further....

You can't pick one number that suits you and ignore the rest....

The audited GAA accounts for 2016 give a full picture of funding to the various counties....(page 150 "payments to clubs and counties")

Cork were the highest at 2.6m - Dublin got 2.2m out of a total of approx 38m ....

At the top of that list you will see that Connaught manages to spend 295k on "admin" ---- thats nearly 10 times what all other counties spend....I think you should look closer to home to see where the money is going ....

http://www.gaa.ie/mm/Document/GaaIe/GAANews/13/56/51/GAAAnnualreportandaccounts2016_English.pdf

So Connacht is a county now? I don't remember them taking part this year :)

And like I keep telling people Cork is a bad example to pick when comparing football spend since hurling is king in Cork. Kerry, Meath or Kildare would be better comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

And like I keep telling people Cork is a bad example to pick when comparing football spend since hurling is king in Cork.

What does it matter if its football spend what county it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Connaught manages to spend 295k on "admin" ---- thats nearly 10 times what all other counties spend....I think you should look closer to home to see where the money is going ....

Are you advocating that the Leitrim and Rossie footballers don't get shopping trips to New York and big carvery lunches when they have an away day?

who would look after the county secretary's wife and daughters?

Get your priorities right man :)

• Advertisement

Using that 'logic' then why are Mayos 'team' expenses twice what Kilkenny and Tipp

Again from the gaa accounts, Mayo team expenses were 476k (Dublin was 381k)....

One thing is for sure, there is a lot of money swashing around.

Roll on 2018
    So Connacht is a county now? I don't remember them taking part this year :)

And like I keep telling people Cork is a bad example to pick when comparing football spend since hurling is king in Cork. Kerry, Meath or Kildare would be better comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Where are the calls to split Kerry in two considering they have won the last 4 Minors
    Its an easy excuse for people to throw out, yes population does have a certain advantage but it didnt have an advantage from 83-95 and 95-11.
    If O'Rourke got his own county sorted out and put structures in place instead of trying to level the playing field another way, Meath would be strong but the problem with many counties is that county board politics ruin many counties.  If you handed Meath tomorrow 20 million the chances are they would waste it, same too with about 20 other counties.  Dublin got everything right and should be a template for every county out there

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

Not easy reading for Mayo fans but McGuinness calls it as he sees it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jim-mcguinness-bitter-truth-is-mayo-have-only-themselves-to-blame-1.3225634

"Jim McGuinness: Bitter truth is Mayo have only themselves to blame

An All-Ireland was there but Vaughan’s red card and not managing the end game lost it for them"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Using that 'logic' then why are Mayos 'team' expenses twice what Kilkenny and Tipp

Again from the gaa accounts, Mayo team expenses were 476k (Dublin was 381k)....

One thing is for sure, there is a lot of money swashing around.

Roll on 2018

Mayo's team expenses stand out a mile. The next four counties - Galway, Tipperary, Dublin and Cork are all dual counties to a greater or lesser extent. Mayo spend an awful lot of money on the senior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The talk about spend and numbers of players per county, etc, isn't that simple. Dublin has a quarter of the population, but it doesn't have a quarter of the players or a quarter of the clubs, or receive a quarter of the funding.

In fact, Cork has more clubs than Dublin and nearly as many players.

You rarely get the details of how this is split between hurling and football though, and this makes the argument even more difficult.

Fact is, GAA is by a long measure less popular in Dublin than elsewhere in the country, when you compare the # of players and clubs against the population in the region. People have more choice when it comes to extracurricular activities (child and adult) and there's a much larger non-Irish contingent who have no particular draw to join the GAA.

If GAA was as popular in Dublin as it is in Kerry, for example, then there might be some validity in talking about breaking the county up into regions. These things will find a level. Now that Dublin football is the big thing, lots of kids will actually be driven towards hurling.
    I've heard anecdotally of one Dublin club that doesn't tell the youngest teams what game they're going to be playing that weekend, just where and when to turn up. All the kids want to do football, so if you tell them it's a hurling match they might struggle to make the numbers.

But this means that with competition for places on the football teams so high, at the teenage levels there will be increased interest in playing hurling because you'll stand a better chance of making the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

yobr wrote: »

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jim-mcguinness-bitter-truth-is-mayo-have-only-themselves-to-blame-1.3225634

An All-Ireland was there but Vaughan’s red card and not managing the end game lost it for them"

Interesting piece. Easy to say in retrospect what a team ought to have done, but he is correct in seeing the Vaughan incident as turning point.

It was a strange incident. He got a dose of the head staggers after what on seeing it again looked to me like a righteous challenge by Small. It was the sort of thing that has lost Dublin many a game over the years. Someone going off the reservation by throwing a silly dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Only thing McGuinness wants to see is his own reflection in the full length mirror that he had shipped over to China.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Congrats to the genuine Dub supporters who post here.

I think a huge part of why Dublin have won the last 2 all irelands because they are so composed when games are in the melting pot and generally do the right things down the stretch.

The way they won last years semi final against Kerry and this years final were very similar. Down a few points entering the last 15 minutes and they manage to seal the deal by continuing to do the right thing.

Yes they may have gotten the benefit of a few calls in both those games but the bitter truth for the rest of us is that you generally make your own luck.

Yes they have a huge advantage in terms of numbers, resources etc but the skill-set of the players, their composure and their bloody-minded will to win (as personified by Cormac Costelloe in injury time in the semi final last year and Kilkenny in injury time of the final this year) is why they have the 3 in a row.

Its up to Kerry and Mayo to improve their first 15 by a few % but improve their subs for maybe 10% to catch the Dubs next year. Possible but not probably unfortunately for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Interesting piece. Easy to say in retrospect what a team ought to have done, but he is correct in seeing the Vaughan incident as turning point. .

McGuiness usually writes a piece about how the Dubs can be beaten and offers his tactical wisdom so it has to be read in that vein. No doubt about it being a turning point.
    Bonniedog wrote: »
    It was the sort of thing that has lost Dublin many a game over the years. Someone going off the reservation by throwing a silly dig.

Dubs in the early to mid 90's had a touch of the same thing at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

His point about slowing the game down before the free is incorrect, Mayo brought on a substitute at that point which ate up some time (remember thinking it was a strange change at the time)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement