Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

kyote00 wrote: »
    Don't be embarrasing yourself any further....

You can't pick one number that suits you and ignore the rest....

The audited GAA accounts for 2016 give a full picture of funding to the various counties....(page 150 "payments to clubs and counties")

Cork were the highest at 2.6m - Dublin got 2.2m out of a total of approx 38m ....

At the top of that list you will see that Connaught manages to spend 295k on "admin" ---- thats nearly 10 times what all other counties spend....I think you should look closer to home to see where the money is going ....

http://www.gaa.ie/mm/Document/GaaIe/GAANews/13/56/51/GAAAnnualreportandaccounts2016_English.pdf

its 2 days after ye won the AI, leave this talk for the depths of winter when people have nothing to do.

By the by, you are including a grant payment to Cork in your figure, money that was for the development of Pairc Ui Chaoimh, so not really a true figure of their source of income for county set up. there is one massively glaring figure in those accounts which causes the disparity of figures. It's in the Games development sums. It would be the one figure I think is most relevant when people have these sorts of discussions and cause IMO, the most disparity in all aspects.

But as I said, thats for another day. Enjoy the win, 3 in a row is hard to come by and in fairness to Dublin, they have set the benchmark over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

yobr wrote: »

Dubs in the early to mid 90's had a touch of the same thing at times.

That's what I meant.

Did some stupid stuff hurling myself, but looking back it was usually because we were losing or I was getting arse handed to me by the corner forward.

Vaughan looks like a man possessed when doing Small. He obviously had "issues" and lost the plot. You can't really when others are depending on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Bonniedog wrote: »
    That's what I meant.

Did some stupid stuff hurling myself, but looking back it was usually because we were losing or I was getting arse handed to me by the corner forward.

Vaughan looks like a man possessed when doing Small. He obviously had "issues" and lost the plot. You can't really when others are depending on you.

We had a few similar incidents throughout the year. It's indiscipline but I also think we just pushed it to the limit this year. Higgins vs Galway, Durcan vs Clare, Keegan vs Cork, Vaughan vs Dublin... all signs of indiscipline and "losing it" but they play on the edge and guys make mistakes.

It was a massive point in the game but there were many other incidents we can look to internally.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Just about alive after that.

Monday was a write-off and didn't happen.

What a day out and what a match. Like 2011, I was right in line for the free. Watching it swing out caused me near heart failure.

HUPP the boys!

COYBIB!

Now to wait for the draw in October...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Stoner wrote: »
    Was watching Colum O'Rourke last night.

Isn't he very concerned with the young Dublin footballers who don't their game for Dublin

I think this is a genuine point; and Dublin people would be fools to ignore it.

Take any big Dublin club - Cuala; Kilmacud; Na Fianna; Vincents etc etc.

They will all take in new kids this year, born in 2012.

Each of those clubs will take in maybe 100-150 kids that age, probably 2/3rds boys and 1/3rd girls, born in 2012.

They will go into a process where there is mentoring for them down the line that is on twice a week, games at the weekend. Football and hurling. For 10 or 15 years.

Thats a lot of training time for the kids, when you multiply it out by the amount if kids doing it. Thats a lot of mentoring time for parents and volunteers.

Chances are that no more than 2 of those kids will play for Dublin. So you would ask yourself - where is all that training going? Whats it leading to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

PARlance wrote: »
    We had a few similar incidents throughout the year. It's indiscipline but I also think we just pushed it to the limit this year. Higgins vs Galway, Durcan vs Clare, Keegan vs Cork, Vaughan vs Dublin... all signs of indiscipline and "losing it" but they play on the edge and guys make mistakes.

It was a massive point in the game but there were many other incidents we can look to internally.

Ah, he was pumped. Easy for people to pass judgement on fellas like Vaughan, or anyone else. He crowed on a fence, as they say. And he came back out to shake hands at the end, which he didn't have to.

As said before, when they are old men they will remember when the country stood still to watch them. won't remember who won or lost then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Each of those clubs will take in maybe 100-150 kids that age, probably 2/3rds boys and 1/3rd girls, born in 2012.

They will go into a process where there is mentoring for them down the line that is on twice a week, games at the weekend. Football and hurling. For 10 or 15 years.

Thats a lot of training time for the kids, when you multiply it out by the amount if kids doing it. Thats a lot of mentoring time for parents and volunteers.

Chances are that no more than 2 of those kids will play for Dublin. So you would ask yourself - where is all that training going? Whats it leading to?

Getting kids active, getting them to play as part of a team, encouraging participation, new friends......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Stoner wrote: »
    Was watching Colum O'Rourke last night.

Isn't he very concerned with the young Dublin footballers who don't their game for Dublin

They will go into a process where there is mentoring for them down the line that is on twice a week, games at the weekend.  Football and hurling.  For 10 or 15 years.

Thats a lot of training time for the kids, when you multiply it out by the amount if kids doing it.  Thats a lot of mentoring time for parents and volunteers.

Chances are that no more than 2 of those kids will play for Dublin.  So you would ask yourself - where is all that training going?  Whats it leading to?
    Getting kids out and being active, making friends for life and enjoy working within a team and enjoying themselves

Ah, he was pumped. Easy for people to pass judgement on fellas like Vaughan, or anyone else. He crowed on a fence, as they say. And he came back out to shake hands at the end, which he didn't have to.

As said before, when they are old men they will remember when the country stood still to watch them. won't remember who won or lost then.

Hats off to him for that, i thought it was admirable.

What's it leading to...
    Hours and hours of healthy exercise.
    Friends made, memories created.
    An upbringing in a great sport.
    Dozens of life lessons.
    Something to keep them focused on in later years.

So what if only 2 of them make County. There are clubs to be played with too. Senior, intermediate, junior teams to be represented.

It's probably the most bizarre angle for an argument I've ever witnessed.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    What's it leading to...
    Hours and hours of healthy exercise.
    Friends made, memories created.
    An upbringing in a great sport.
    Dozens of life lessons.
    Something to keep them focused on in later years.

So what if only 2 of them make County. There are clubs to be played with too. Senior, intermediate, junior teams to be represented.

It's probably the most bizarre angle for an argument I've ever witnessed.

Yawn.

I live in a bizarre parralel universe where - on a GAA forum - the idea of kids having kids having an aspiration of playing for their county is considered bizarre

No, its all about getting a bit of fresh air and hanging out with your pals.

A babysitting service basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just wanted to belatedly say well done
    Ye have some team
    It's a pity it's at the seem time we do as well :(

At least this year the nastiness that had crept in on both sides of support has been eradicated and it's back to very grudging respect :D

See ye next year !

Ah I wasn't passing judgement on him. The incident was a major point in the game but I wouldn't hold any mistake against anyone. I once made one myself :)

They're playing on the edge, it's very easy to make a mistake. We'll remember who won and lost unfortunately.

Yawn.

I live in a bizarre parralel universe where - on a GAA forum - the idea of kids having kids having an aspiration of playing for their county is considered bizarre

Kids definitely shouldn't be having kids. If that's what they're doing at training then they should probably stop.

Let them have aspirations of playing for their County. If they're not good enough, they'll just have to deal with it. Like hundreds of thousands before them. Life isn't fair. Would Colm be happier if all the Dublin kids were playing other sports, it might improve the % chances for a handful.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So you would ask yourself - where is all that training going? Whats it leading to?
    You could say the same for children doing any sport. A tiny fraction will ever reach the top level, so where is all that training going?

In reality "all that training" only ever happens with the top kids. To take your example, of those 100 kids taken in this year, half of them will turn up at the weekend and play and that'll be all the GAA they do in a given week. A quarter will drop out next year. Within five years, half of the kids will have dropped out, and by the time you get to teenage years you might have a quarter of them still training on a weekly basis.
    Of those 25, probably half again will put in more effort than just turning up at training. So by the time you get to minor/senior level the club has 10-15 kids born in 2012 who are actually putting in serious effort - and who have ever really put in serious effort. The other 85% were just doing it for fun. Sure, most of them are not going to make the county team, but that's how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yawn.

Yes, it is all about getting a bit of fresh air and hanging out with the pals. The amount of money invested in juvenile GAA in Dublin is minimal compared to the lifetime benefits in physical and mental health for those kids that develop a love of sport.

None of the 40 or so under-15s that my son plays with will make it as a senior inter-county footballer barring a miracle, but I would say that 30 of them will stay involved in sport, whether it is junior GAA or five-a-side soccer or something else right through their life. That is a huge benefit to them and to the country's health.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Watched the game back on RTE. Once again astounded by the level of bias on the programme. Any comment on Dublin was a mere footnote in the wider conversation about Mayo. The chap commentating was devastated when Rock hit the free.

Anyone know where to download the Sky version?

corny wrote: »
    Watched the game back on RTE. Once again astounded by the level of bias on the programme. Any comment on Dublin was a mere footnote in the wider conversation about Mayo. The chap commentating was devastated when Rock hit the free.

Anyone know where to download the Sky version?

I agree no analysis of Dublin Joes big decisions or lack of, bias alright. No Analysis of the Penalty either, get real Corny.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

Just listened to yesterday's second captains podcast episode.

Whilst there was still the to be expected Mayo sympathy gush it was refreshing to hear some sincere respect and admiration towards Dublin's achievement on Sunday.

Not that we can't enjoy it enough between ourselves as a county but this bunch of lads deserve to be lauded over by the entire GAA community. Special times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

omega man wrote: »
    Just listened to yesterday's second captains podcast episode.

Whilst there was still the to be expected Mayo sympathy gush it was refreshing to hear some sincere respect and admiration towards Dublin's achievement on Sunday.

Not that we can't enjoy it enough between ourselves as a county but this bunch of lads deserve to be lauded over by the entire GAA community. Special times.

Definitely, we got there in style beating 4 Division 1 teams along the way, more than any county in the competition.

It's a great time to support the Dubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

They were on about the 'Dublin Funding' issue on Newstalk OTB
    Sean Kelly was on and he was against splitting Dublin but in favour of a two tier championship.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I agree no analysis of Dublin Joes big decisions or lack of, bias alright. No Analysis of the Penalty either, get real Corny.:rolleyes:
    Was that the one where Andy Moran pushed Jonny Cooper as the ball was coming in which caused him to subsequently lose balance and fall on Andy? There are two sides to every story. A lot of the Dublin people around me and those I met after the game all commented about how poor the referee was and that he gave Mayo every chance to win and they still lost without me prompting them to comment on his performance.

Can we give the referee bashing and blaming a rest though? Refereeing in the GAA is not easy at all. It is mostly a thankless job that requires constant perfection and 360 degree vision in the eyes of spectators. Everybody's expectation of how a game should be refereed is different and nobody makes allowances for referees to be human. Joe McQuillan and his team are the only unbiased people on the pitch at the time, they all have different views of the play and don't have the benefit of TV replays. Joe made the decisions in a split second that he thought were correct with 15 years of inter county experience behind him whilst the rest of us were looking at them from different angles and through rose coloured glasses as well as many people not knowing the actual rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

naughtb4 wrote: »
    His point about slowing the game down before the free is incorrect, Mayo brought on a substitute at that point which ate up some time (remember thinking it was a strange change at the time)

they actually brought on 2 lads, which made no sense at all - like what were they going to do?

Ace2007 wrote: »
    they actually brought on 2 lads, which made no sense at all - like what were they going to do?

They had to bring them on, their players were falling down with cramp all over the pitch or were out on their feet. Paul Mannion was suffering similarly hence the swap with Costello.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

They were on about the 'Dublin Funding' issue on Newstalk OTB
    Sean Kelly was on and he was against splitting Dublin but in favour of a two tier championship.

.. and don't forget the wonderfully impartial Ewan MacKenna with his stale contribution

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

DoctaDee wrote: »
    .. and don't forget the wonderfully impartial Ewan MacKenna with his stale contribution

Yeah I didn't mention him because I did not want to draw attention to him.
    All I can say is he must have been up all night with the calculator...
    It was all numbers based with him and very little discussion of practicalities.

I don't mind people discussing the idea of Dublin being split if proper coherent reasons are given.
    But it is always a good sign that people have no argument when they just keep throwing up figures that are spun in a way to suit thier argument.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Yeah I didn't mention him because I did not want to draw attention to him.
    All I can say is he must have been up all night with the calculator...
    It was all numbers based with him and very little discussion of practicalities.

I don't mind people discussing the idea of Dublin being split if proper coherent reasons are given.
    But it is always a good sign that people have no argument when they just keep throwing up figures that are spun in a way to suit thier argument.

As I pointed out already in another thread, if we had split Dublin and Mayo in 2010, Kerry would have won 6 of the last 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

with the rural population going the way it is, its the opposite they'll have to do....either bring in tiers or start finding ways to merge counties

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Yeah agree totally, I'm half sorry I mentioned him - if it's not figures being bandied about it's hyperbole strewn guff .. I'll leave it at that

• Advertisement

I've watched the game again on The Sunday Game Live, also watched the Sky coverage in full, just the evening Sunday Game left :D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement