Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PARlance wrote:
    What's Comerford like with those 15 yard kickouts, under no pressure, into the corner? Presume he can't be a whole lot worse than Cluxton at the long range ones.

He can't kick winning points in all Ireland finals yet.
    Clarke might help him with the 15 yard ones, it's important to keep them between the white lines when the pressure is on!

DDC1990 wrote:
    Lads have ye seen the video on twitter after the match with Connolly chatting with Flynn. Flynn has to remind Connolly how many All Irelands he's won. The joy on Connolly's face when he realises that its 5 not 4 is great. Don't have a link, but it' pretty cool. This one really seemed to mean a lot to them. 3 in a row is a massive deal.

Thanks for the heads up DDC1990, they are nice moment's to get in on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Stoner wrote: »
    He can't kick winning points in all Ireland finals yet.
    Clarke might help him with the 15 yard ones, it's important to keep them between the white lines when the pressure is on!

One bite. I'll take it.

DoctaDee wrote: »

I think he was asking Dermo how many of us he managed to pull to the ground for the kickout.

Another good moment was Jack McCaffrey acting the maggot behind Gavin and Cluxton as ML was interviewing them at the dinner. Worth a look if you missed it.

Or Brolly et al getting a little bit excited about Dermo's muscles in the warm up.

PARlance wrote:
    One bite. I'll take it.

You should, you got me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

kilns wrote: »
    What do people think?  Should next years early league games be the time to start giving Comerford more big game experience in goals, as Cluxton cant go on forever

For league be looking to bring in Comerford,Brian Howard,Shane Clayton,Colm Basquel,Cillian O'Shea and Aaron Byrne. Would like to see Emmett O'Conghaile and Shane Carthy(Naomh Mearnog) make the breakthrough as need more options around the middle.Darren Gavin from Lucan might get chance too

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

PARlance wrote: »
    What's Comerford like with those 15 yard kickouts, under no pressure, into the corner? Presume he can't be a whole lot worse than Cluxton at the long range ones.

He's better than Clarke or the Kerry goalie, doesn't put them over the endline or the sideline.

blanch152 wrote:
    He's better than Clarke or the Kerry goalie, doesn't put them over the endline or the sideline.

Two for one blanch

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lads, just want to say congrats, that loss was the hardest yet and I avoided this place like the plague. From talking to neutrals it was a top game, from my view we left it behind.
    Anyway congrats to ye. I'm going back under the rock for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Yop, I said it before the game, a kick of a ball. That's what it turned out to be. Onwards and upwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Yeah its amazing how Mayo are the only team who can trouble Dublin, other teams should be watching them and learning as some counties have players of similar, if not better ability but I guess you cant build courage and heart which Mayo are certainly not lacking

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Kerry certainly trouble Dublin as well

kilns wrote: »
    Yeah its amazing how Mayo are the only team who can trouble Dublin, other teams should be watching them and learning as some counties have players of similar, if not better ability but I guess you cant build courage and heart which Mayo are certainly not lacking

I think there's a whole lot more to Mayo than courage and heart tbh. Our game is built on defending, attacking from defence and I think that can be easily underestimated at times.

Not that I want to see another "my Daddy has a bigger..." argument, but I think Mayo edge Dublin in this aspect, defensively. Dublin cleary beat Mayo with their forwards and with their bench. Dublin do have great defenders but I think Mayo have one of the best defensive units there has been... and that's without a quality fullback.

Anyway, main point being, other Counties can't just magic up the defenders Mayo & Dublin have. If Mayo were playing some kind of system then you might say that others could copy it. But there's no real system, it's not far off going out there and marking your man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

PARlance wrote: »
    I think there's a whole lot more to Mayo than courage and heart tbh. Our game is built on defending, attacking from defence and I think that can be easily underestimated at times.

Not that I want to see another "my Daddy has a bigger..." argument, but I think Mayo edge Dublin in this aspect, defensively. Dublin cleary beat Mayo with their forwards and with their bench. Dublin do have great defenders but I think Mayo have one of the best defensive units there has been... and that's without a quality fullback.

Anyway, main point being, other Counties can't just magic up the defenders Mayo & Dublin have. If Mayo were playing some kind of system then you might say that others could copy it. But there's no real system, it's not far off going out there and marking your man.

There is a famous American football cliche - Defence win games. Offence decides by how much.

Unfortunately, the Mayo/Dublin paradigm shows that to not always be true. To win All Irelands, you don't need to have the best defensive unit in the land. You just need to have a very good one...which we do.

Cup of watery oxtail soup at Parnell Park anyone?

Dublin club champo games to be shown live on Eir Sports.

http://www.dublingaa.ie/news/live-coverage-of-club-championship-with-eir-sport

Now the rest of the country gets to see what we haven't been spending our money on. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Just watching the Sunday game.

They've shown the 2011 point a few times now.

I'm nearly in tears already.

I NEVER thought I'd have that last 10min feeling again and then last Sunday happened.

How did everyone think Gavin did on Sunday?

I know I'm repeating some points but I thought it was his worst performance since 2014.

I couldn't understand MDMA not coming on.

There was wholesale confusion when Flynn came on and it didn't work. When has he been tried at midfield before , at what level.

Lowdnes had to be the man for McCaffery IMO

I'm not that bothered with the O'Gara start as McCaffery going off killed an initial plan.

I'm not sure if he had a word with O'Sullivan or McCarthy at half time, but thank God they pushed up.

TBH the MDMA / Costello pairing seemed obvious as they did the business last year.

Also the tactic of having Kilkenny give up his game to watch Keegan, Keegan still scored a goal and nearly had a penno. Sure it freed up Connelly to have a significant influence as the remaining defenders didn't pick him up properly.

Am I being overly critical?

I would have been hopping if we lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I think the Flynn call was probably the main call he got wrong. Had to rejig too much and caused a lot of confusion. It took us half time to properly reorganise.

Apart from that I thought he did well. Reacted to how the game was heading. Remember 2014 when we just continued the same way when it wasn't working?
    Moving Mannion inside and bringing on the direct running of Kev Mc opened channels up for us that weren't there in the first half.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

Stoner wrote: »
    How did everyone think Gavin did on Sunday?

I know I'm repeating some points but I thought it was his worst performance since 2014.

I couldn't understand MDMA not coming on.

There was wholesale confusion when Flynn came on and it didn't work. When has he been tried at midfield before , at what level.

Lowdnes had to be the man for McCaffery IMO

I'm not that bothered with the O'Gara start as McCaffery going off killed an initial plan.

I'm not sure if he had a word with O'Sullivan or McCarthy at half time, but thank God they pushed up.

TBH the MDMA / Costello pairing seemed obvious as they did the business last year.

Also the tactic of having Kilkenny give up his game to watch Keegan, Keegan still scored a goal and nearly had a penno. Sure it freed up Connelly to have a significant influence as the remaining defenders didn't pick him up properly.

Am I being overly critical?

I would have been hopping if we lost.

A little critical but totally agree that Lowdnes was the obvious move and not Flynn. Hindsight is great though and Flynn could have easily had a stormer.

To be fair on Jim, jack going off really impacted our momentum and game plan. His half time subs and the move to the short kick out redeemed the situation though.

All in all we got there and Jim will again take lessons learned from this game I've no doubt.

omega man wrote:
    A little critical but totally agree that Lowdnes was the obvious move and not Flynn. Hindsight is great though and Flynn could have easily had a stormer.

I'm delighted with Gavin.

And I agree with jrant that 2014 was head down stuff.

But we'd spent a league with Reddin at midfield.
    I've never seen Flynn play well at midfield for Dublin
    How did Schutte make the subs he's done feck all that I can see.
    And MDMA would have brought the ball directly into the forwards like he's always done, he has repeatedly had the upper hand on that team. Particularly closing out the game

Again Gavin fixed it, we got in at half time a point down and I was a little more confident as a result as I thought he'd fix it up and he did no messing around either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Thought the game was crying out for McAuley aswell in the second half as Mayo were tiring down the stretch.

• Advertisement

The fact that Flynn went on and was then subbed off again shows Jim is willing to admit he got it wrong and will be ruthless in correcting matters on the field.

Haven't watched the game back in full yet but wasn't MDMA on the line ready to go in at one point?

I actually watched all the build up.

Match starting now.

On an unrelated note, watching everyone singing the anthem always gets me. And i totally forgot about the fly past.

omega man wrote:
    Haven't watched the game back in full yet but wasn't MDMA on the line ready to go in at one point?

He was , he'd mad boots on so he was easy to pick out

I actually watched all the build up.

Match starting now.

On an unrelated note, watching everyone singing the anthem always gets me. And i totally forgot about the fly past.

Don't tell me the score as I want to watch it myself later on ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭donkey balls

What date are the league fixtures out need to start planing the weekends away,The likes of Castlebar accommodation sells out real fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

What date are the league fixtures out need to start planing the weekends away,The likes of Castlebar accommodation sells out real fast.

They're usually out by now, so I'd say they'll be released shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I've seen Flynn a few times over the last number of years with Fingallians as well as Dublin - and when he's been poor he's been very poor. Tried all over the field in club football when the obvious answer was to pull him, and in fairness Gavin got it right last Sunday.

Jack Mc's injury came too early in the game imo to introduce MDMA, but he should've been on at HT. At that early stage in the game it was hard to envisage we'd struggle as much as we did in midfield - which is probably where the call for McAuley comes from - but Lowndes (or Daly) was definetely the correct replacement for McCaffrey.

Did the prematch focus on a big performance actually inhibit our gameplan ?

I thought O'Gara was a bit unfortunate with the way things panned out - the loss of Jack Mc forced O'Gara to trek further out the field and the few times we turned the ball over 1st half he was caught in our own 45 when he was really needed for the outball further up.

I actually caught Costello in a challenge game the other night and he was flying, apart from his scoring he had a great range of passing when he dropped a bit deeper and would appear to offer an option in the HF line too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Would've been funny if a Mayo lad intercepted and then blazed it wide!

If he had of dropped it I would have certainly of missed the wide. Would of had a heart attack on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

I'm nearly all Ireland(ed) out but before the buzz goes completely anyone know how I can listen to the RTE radio commentary.
    Watched the game bout 4 times twice on sky twice on RTÉ.
    Listened to all the pods (won't make that mistake again you'd swear dublin never showed up and we were beat out the gate by the best team ever to grace HQ)
    Might give Stelling n Kamara a miss n all.

• Advertisement

I'm nearly all Ireland(ed) out but before the buzz goes completely anyone know how I can listen to the RTE radio commentary.
    Watched the game bout 4 times twice on sky twice on RTÉ.
    Listened to all the pods (won't make that mistake again you'd swear dublin never showed up and we were beat out the gate by the best team ever to grace HQ)
    Might give Stelling n Kamara a miss n all.

Give RTÉ Radio player a bash

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement