Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Now THAT is how you administer a paddlin' in an All Ireland final !

It's about bloody time.

If we get Tony Hanahoe on the case immediately, I reckon our in house crack legal team can get the ladies of the LGFA declared available for selection by Jim Gavin, as early as next Spring. Those lazy slackers Mr Rock, Mr Connolly, Mr McMannamin & Mr O'Callaghan et al, need a fire lit under their arses. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Now THAT is how you administer a paddlin' in an All Ireland final !

It's about bloody time.

If we get Tony Hanahoe on the case immediately, I reckon our in house crack legal team can get the ladies of the LGFA declared available for selection by Jim Gavin, as early as next Spring. Those lazy slackers Mr Rock, Mr Connolly, Mr McMannamin & Mr O'Callaghan et al, need a fire lit under their arses. :P

Technically not a problem, the Dail passed legislation that you can change your gender by just deciding to

The Mayo lads might be tempted :D

I dunno. I'm all for political correctness, but come On You Gender Neutral Dubs In Blue just doesn't have the same ring to it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Absolutely savage performance by the ladies today. The atmosphere in Croker was fantastic. The skill levels, athleticism and aggressiveness of the team was a notch up again from last year.

There's no doubt the ladies game as a whole is on the up. Year on year the top teams improve and at senior level it is now a more attractive product for fans than it was even 5 years ago.

The example set by the teams to all young girls and the chance to aspire to be an inter county footballer was cemented today by a group of players that are a credit to their county.

The ladies finals always have a really high ratio of kids to adults as spectators which to me is evidence of a strong grass roots drive to get more players involved at underage level.

Hopefully we'll be back there again next year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Paulzx wrote: »
    Absolutely savage performance by the ladies today. The atmosphere in Croker was fantastic. The skill levels, athleticism and aggressiveness of the team was a notch up again from last year.

There's no doubt the ladies game as a whole is on the up. Year on year the top teams improve and at senior level it is now a more attractive product for fans than it was even 5 years ago.

The example set by the teams to all young girls and the chance to aspire to be an inter county footballer was cemented today by a group of players that are a credit to their county.

The ladies finals always have a really high ratio of kids to adults as spectators which to me is evidence of a strong grass roots drive to get more players involved at underage level.

Hopefully we'll be back there again next year

Yes correct - but its also evidence of the ticket pricing structure and general availability of tickets. Its 80 euros for a family of five; compared to 400 euros for same at the mens final - plus the weeks of scavenging for tickets. Its a family occasion and the mens finals isn't.

The interesting thing for me is; how many of those people - bitching and moaning about ticket allocations being unfair for the mens final - didnt bother going to the womens final. If you are Dubs fan you should be at this match; full stop. I would say most of the Dubs fans who went last week did not go today.

So while 46000 is good, I dont think its good enough. This game will be a sell out within 5 years, if Dublin keep reaching finals.

Its different to the mens game - obviously in the rules, but I thought the game yesterday was much more free flowing than I'm used to watching in the mens games and that makes it to be honest way more entertaining and enjoyable to watch. There's more room for the individual to shine - its a long time since I saw a forward in the mens game running at the defences throughout the game the way Noelle Healy did yesterday. The skill levels have increased enormously.

One extra comment - the were no Gardai at Clonliffe/ Drumcondra road junction by the time we got out of the stadium. Given as mentioned the amount of kids at the game, it meant for a really messy situation. At one point we had 70 kids in the traffic island in the middle of the road when we got caught out by the pedestrian light change. Also, not all the food outlets opened in Upper Cusack, which meant for absolutely monstrous queues......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

yobr wrote: »

I'm not Sweeney's biggest fan, but I do agree with his sentiments.

But lets be honest, its nothing new for us (Dubs) to have to deal with, you just have to laugh with some of the stuff being said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Yes correct - but its also evidence of the ticket pricing structure and general availability of tickets. Its 80 euros for a family of five; compared to 400 euros for same at the mens final - plus the weeks of scavenging for tickets. Its a family occasion and the mens finals isn't.

The interesting thing for me is; how many of those people - bitching and moaning about ticket allocations being unfair for the mens final - didnt bother going to the womens final. If you are Dubs fan you should be at this match; full stop. I would say most of the Dubs fans who went last week did not go today.

So while 46000 is good, I dont think its good enough. This game will be a sell out within 5 years, if Dublin keep reaching finals.

Its different to the mens game - obviously in the rules, but I thought the game yesterday was much more free flowing than I'm used to watching in the mens games and that makes it to be honest way more entertaining and enjoyable to watch. There's more room for the individual to shine - its a long time since I saw a forward in the mens game running at the defences throughout the game the way Noelle Healy did yesterday. The skill levels have increased enormously.

One extra comment - the were no Gardai at Clonliffe/ Drumcondra road junction by the time we got out of the stadium. Given as mentioned the amount of kids at the game, it meant for a really messy situation. At one point we had 70 kids in the traffic island in the middle of the road when we got caught out by the pedestrian light change. Also, not all the food outlets opened in Upper Cusack, which meant for absolutely monstrous queues......

The demand for tickets for the mens finals means its not a like for like comparison with regards to pricing. People are willing to pay 80 euro for the mens final even for kids. I did it myself! To be fair kids tickets are only 5 euro up to an including the semi final in the mens game. I do agree with your point that the prices make it good value for money for a family especially when you take into account that there were 3 finals.

I think an increase of over 10,000 in attendance compared to last year is a huge achievement and i agree that the numbers are going to go up. The game is being marketed very slickly at the moment and the amount of young girls starting to play at 5/6 years old is huge.

However the most important thing that will draw crowds is the quality of the game and the skill on show. The difference in rules allows for skillfull players to play their game. The technical differences in the tackle rules and the application of the sin bin are key to this. I have noticed however that each year there seems to be an allowance of more aggression in the tackle at senior level. At some stage this will have to be looked at in order to avoid an erosion of the rules. This has to be balanced with an over application of the tackle rules which can create a very stop/start game if the ref is overly fussy.

I also seen issues with the food stands in Croker yesterday and i was in a different part of the ground than you so it was obviously widespread. Croke Park themselves need to take a look at this for next years finals

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Great post Tombo.

Was just thinking myself that many of the people there supporting Dubs women hadn't a hope in hell of getting a ticket for the mens. It was, dareisayit, a much better representation of Dublin GAA than the crowd the Sunday before.

Should have opened the Hill by the way. Crowd would have been more sparely spread but 46,000 still make for good optics. I know some of the people who did the display on the Hill and fair play to them. Did it myself a few years back but place definitely loses atmosphere when it is closed.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Great post Tombo.

Was just thinking myself that many of the people there supporting Dubs women hadn't a hope in hell of getting a ticket for the mens. It was, dareisayit, a much better representation of Dublin GAA than the crowd the Sunday before.

Should have opened the Hill by the way. Crowd would have been more sparely spread but 46,000 still make for good optics. I know some of the people who did the display on the Hill and fair play to them. Did it myself a few years back but place definitely loses atmosphere when it is closed.

Thats for sure - there were big groups coming in together from various clubs around the county. Each group would have been the same mentors and parents that are bringing those kids to training every week.

I wonder would they consider doing a semi-final double header in Croke Park next year - attendance for the semis this year was a small fraction of the final.

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »
    I'm not Sweeney's biggest fan, but I do agree with his sentiments.

But lets be honest, its nothing new for us (Dubs) to have to deal with, you just have to laugh with some of the stuff being said.

I do think Paul Kimmage's article is particularly unfair.

They didnt celebrate the right way? Come on.

What did Stephen Cluxton do when they won. He said this:

"I'd like to congratulate Mayo on a fine game today. We've got nothing but respect for you guys. You're a phenomenal team to come back year after year. The consistency is unbelievable and we have the utmost respect for you guys."

That was before he thanked his manager, his team mates, the fans, the sponsors or anyone else.

Journalists are looking for a story; Eamon Sweeney is right to call it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I do think Paul Kimmage's article is particularly unfair.

They didnt celebrate the right way? Come on.

What did Stephen Cluxton do when they won. He said this:

"I'd like to congratulate Mayo on a fine game today. We've got nothing but respect for you guys. You're a phenomenal team to come back year after year. The consistency is unbelievable and we have the utmost respect for you guys."

That was before he thanked his manager, his team mates, the fans, the sponsors or anyone else.

Journalists are looking for a story; Eamon Sweeney is right to call it out.

I only read Kimmage's article this morning actually. You have to wonder, have they nothing else to talk about at all?

You know, if the lads went mental after the final, Kimmage et all would be moaning that we were too over the top in our celebrations and to have some consideration for poor ol' Mayo. You just cant win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Kimmages article was utter tripe, he spent the whole thing giving out about something then followed it by Im not complaining. He then suggested that the journos deserve respect because they are doing a job, surely you respect someone doing a job who is doing it well which Kimmage clearly isnt. This is the man that suggested 6 months ago that Jamie Heaslips injury in the warm up was just a ploy to make unexpected changes, it must be quite a ploy as Heaslip still hasnt played a minute of rugby. Kimmage is a bitter hack who thinks because he did good work on the armstrong scandal that he should be lauded at everything he writes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kimmage is a curmudgeon. That's really the only thing that can explain what he does. Nobody in sport can ever do anything right by him.

He got lucky on the Lance Armstrong thing, found a target and doggedly kept at it until he succeeded. Other journalists would have slinked off. But Kimmage is persistent to the point where you have to wonder if there's something actually wrong with him.

I recall shortly after Armstrong was disgraced, Kimmage was on the radio discussing doping in general. It was his assertion that basically everything except paracetemol should be banned. And even then only for headaches or whatever. He was asserting that rugby players, for example, taking ibuprofen or other topical steroids/anaesthetics/anti-inflammatories for sore muscles and joints, was a form of cheating because you were masking the pain and inflating the individual's abilities.

Proper fruitcake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Cluxtons words about Mayo seemed very genuine to me.

Dunphy didn't surprise me TBH himself and Giles have very little to say about the GAA.

And Flynn too

At the end of the day these guys make a name for themselves twisting people's words.

Would you blame a GAA player for blanking Flynn after the AOS story he made up on the back of watching players interacting at the end of the second practice game one evening.

Stoner wrote: »

Dunphy didn't surprise me TBH himself and Giles have very little to say about the GAA.

And Flynn too

At the end of the day these make a name for themselves for twisting people's words.

Would you blame a GAA player for blanking Flynn after the AOS story he make up on the back of watching players interacting at the end of the second practice game one evening.

I thought so. It seemed to me that he read the situation (as a good goalkeeper should) - that this was a particularly strong performance from Mayo, that it would be a particularly painful defeat and that he was responding to that. He broke away from a scripted speech to say it.

Personally I like the fact that the Dubs are quite reserved; I find the over the top emotion in sport a bit grating at times. Gone are the days when a soccer player would shake hands with this teammates when he scored a goal..... For me the apex of all this was the Brazilian players crying during their national anthem at the world cup; twenty minutes later they were losing five nil, which put a stop to their tears.....

Stoner wrote: »

And Flynn too

At the end of the day these make a name for themselves for twisting people's words.

Would you blame a GAA player for blanking Flynn after the AOS story he make up on the back of watching players interacting at the end of the second practice game one evening.

Attack on AOS was ludicrous, and I be no great admirer!

As for Dunphy, he has always hated Dublin GAA, but been fanboy of Kerry and Cody.

I remember him years ago being guest host on Late Late and he had Giles on a guest and usual "oh remember the time we were only beaten 8 - 0 by Austria."

Most interesting part was when he brought on Jack O'Shea who Giles completely blanked!

When Eamo, trying to be the nice host, said something to effect of "John Giles isn't is amazing that amateurs like Jack here have at least as high levels of fitness as professional footballers", Gile grunted and said "Its not the same thing at all Eamon"!!!!

By the way, I like Johnny. Eamo, not so much ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Is it all D4 women on the Dublin team? There doesn't seem to be any 'no warrameans' involved :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Hitchens wrote: »
    Is it all D4 women on the Dublin team? There doesn't seem to be any 'no warrameans' involved :eek:

Yep all 25 odd players are from the same road in Ballsbridge.

Like most civilized parts of world, such as ours which has produced Joyce, Beckett, O'Casey and so on - don't want to bore you because you probably think they played for Chelsea - we have a balanced social mix in the cosmopolis (that's really big village).

Now, you probably have quad bike racing or lamping badgers or something to catch up on, so be a good chap and run along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Once education and diction ventures forth from the Pale yer wimmin will speak like that also.
    So to speak!

Great video of Il Duce out in Round Towers on Saturday.

https://www.facebook.com/Hill16ArmyDublin/videos/1360858524057597/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Pat Gilroy as the new hurling supremo seems to have gained traction once again, interesting to hear Anthony Cunningham maybe coming with him in as a coach.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Pat Gilroy as the new hurling supremo seems to have gained traction once again, interesting to hear Anthony Cunningham maybe coming with him in as a coach.

In the papers anyway, it's not the worst idea I've heard.

Shanley should be kept well away from the press though.

At least Gilroy would be internal. Shanley caused a few face palms over claims about, eh, expenses...

On another hurling note, anyone know if Connolly will hurl with Vinnies?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Bambi wrote: »

Shanley should be kept well away from the press though.
    ..... Shanley caused a few face palms over claims about, eh, expenses...

You'd think for a fella that had spent his former life as the coaching officer he'd have given the PR course a try out ;) ..

DoctaDee wrote: »
    You'd think for a fella that had spent his former life as the coaching officer he'd have given the PR course a try out ;) ..

I hope he's never captured behind enemy lines. "No comment" then spills his guts :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

At least Gilroy would be internal. Shanley caused a few face palms over claims about, eh, expenses...

On another hurling note, anyone know if Connolly will hurl with Vinnies?

Bad form when a Mayo man has to tell you that he played last weekend against Crokes. Got sent off too for 2 yellows.

Highlights of game on Official Dublin GAA Fbook page.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    Bad form when a Mayo man has to tell you that he played last weekend against Crokes. Got sent off too for 2 yellows.

Highlights of game on Official Dublin GAA Fbook page.

Again was missing word! They are in quarter finals against the neighbours. Think he is still eligible but will be running into SFC now. If Gilroy does get hurling job will resurrect the generations old Vinnies v county hurling debate!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement