Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

DoctaDee wrote: »
    No white smoke from the chapel tonight .. vote was postponed

heard there will be no vote...management were given power to appoint.

We could wind up with a fiasco yet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

"Unforseen circumstances"

WTF? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

But of a shambles eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

ProudDUB wrote: »
    "Unforseen circumstances"

WTF? :confused:

Aye thems the words of Shanley , I'm guessing he lacked the savvy to spin a more appropriate soundbite and context to the situation.

Well, I don't have a bleedin' clue what's going on, but one thing's for sure - it's all Lee Keegan's fault ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Irish Times reporting that Pat Gilroy is "poised to take over as Dublin Hurling boss". It's still essentially just a rumour at this stage, won't believe anything until it's confirmed.

I'd be happy with either Gilroy or Kenny to be honest, for different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

CatInABox wrote: »
    Irish Times reporting that Pat Gilroy is "poised to take over as Dublin Hurling boss". It's still essentially just a rumour at this stage, won't believe anything until it's confirmed.

I'd be happy with either Gilroy or Kenny to be honest, for different reasons.

How is it even a contest. Kenny transforms Cuala and Gilroy... well, he played hurling once upon a time. I'm not a hurling man but it seems crazy that there's even talk of a contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

PARlance wrote: »
    How is it even a contest. Kenny transforms Cuala and Gilroy... well, he played hurling once upon a time. I'm not a hurling man but it seems crazy that there's even talk of a contest.

To be fair I think Gilroy is seen as a man who can restructure things and build for the future whilst putting in place the right people for now. Ive come across him in professional terms and thats what he does in business and by all accounts it was him that gave that Dublin football team the final few ingredients that were needed to push ahead. He will be bringing in top coaches if he gets it.
    Personally Im not bothered either way but kind of intrigued to see what Gilroy could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What is great that Dublin have the choice between two All-Ireland winning managers, one a club hurling winner, the other a senior football winner.

Yes. there will be questions about both as to how transferable their success is, but still great to have the choice.

Cunningham left a very toxic environment behind him. He was a piss poor man manager by all accounts and he alienated a lot of people. Gilroy has an excellent reputation in that area. I think he has been brought in to bring a sense of unity back to the dressing room. I am not sure an outside manager would do that, no matter how good he is, nor how successful he has been at club level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Cunningham left a very toxic environment behind him. He was a piss poor man manager by all accounts and he alienated a lot of people. Gilroy has an excellent reputation in that area. I think he has been brought in to bring a sense of unity back to the dressing room. I am not sure an outside manager would do that, no matter how good he is, nor how successful he has been at club level.

Don't think he is taking about Cunningham

Don't think he is taking about Cunningham

I'm talking about Ger Cunningham - the man that the new Dublin manager is replacing. The mess that he left behind him and all the alienated players, is one of the main resons (in my opinion,) why Pat Gilroy has been brought in, instead of another outsider with a better hurling CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

I'm talking about Ger Cunningham - the man that the new Dublin manager is replacing. The mess that he left behind him and all the alienated players, is one of the main resons (in my opinion,) why Pat Gilroy has been brought in, instead of another outsider with a better hurling CV.

Sorry thought you were taking about Anthony Cunningham...

Think the logic is that Dublin hurling needs someone who can put structures in place and has the clout to take on the elements in the county set up that are....emm..unenthusiastic... about Dublin hurling pushing on from the success of the Daly era.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

He doesn't have a lot of hurling background but what he is excellent at is surrounding himself with the right people. He would also be the perfect person to bridge the gap between the football and hurling. There is no way he would settle for anything less than the best.

That said, I'd like to see Kenny get a shot.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I'd like to see anyone to get a shot at this stage, still no white smoke

its almost like ger cunninghams long overdue departure was a suprise to the county board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeats

salmocab wrote: »
    To be fair I think Gilroy is seen as a man who can restructure things and build for the future whilst putting in place the right people for now. Ive come across him in professional terms and thats what he does in business and by all accounts it was him that gave that Dublin football team the final few ingredients that were needed to push ahead. He will be bringing in top coaches if he gets it.
    Personally Im not bothered either way but kind of intrigued to see what Gilroy could do.

I just think it's a crazy rationale to appoint a manager on. I can see the need to rebuild / restructure / change things and it seems that Gilroy could do that... but I don't think you appoint him manager on that basis.

I would create a role for him to direct change within Dublin Hurling if that was the case but I would get a manager in to manage.

blanch152 wrote: »
    What is great that Dublin have the choice between two All-Ireland winning managers, one a club hurling winner, the other a senior football winner.

Yes. there will be questions about both as to how transferable their success is, but still great to have the choice.

You've a strange way of looking at things blanch. I don't think many in Dublin Hurling would be throwing about terms like "great to have a choice"... any County will have a choice.

Because of issues in the past, that choice seems to be fairly limited and it has has come down to a Galway man (based in Dublin) who seems to be an extremely good manager or Pat Gilroy. No doubt Pat has many talents, but for me, it's scraping the barrel type stuff when you're effectively appointing a Football man to take on the Hurling team.

If Kenny was from Dublin, I think he would have the job long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Tsipras wrote: »
    Cheeeeeeeeeeeeats

???????????

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    ???????????

Could be Kimmage after necking a bottle of whiskey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Tsipras wrote: »
    Cheeeeeeeeeeeeats

U ok hun?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Lads O Neills have Dublin 3 in a row jerseys on sale for €45 .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Could be Kimmage after necking a bottle of whiskey

He has really bad piece in Sindo today. Totally incoherent bollix. The article I mean not the writer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Bonniedog wrote: »
    He has really bad piece in Sindo today. Totally incoherent bollix. The article I mean not the writer :)

There's a great clip of Luke Fitzgerald calling him out on OTB recently. Basically calling him an angry bully and saying he was bang out of order calling the Dubs cheats.

https://youtu.be/9MeXpYPrOzQ

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Just back from Na Fianna v Crokes. The Northsiders galloped out to a 5 point lead in the opening 7 minutes, but thereafter Crokes marginally outhurled them and reeled them in slowly. Na Fianna have a couple of good young hurlers, but Crokes we're the better team.

Our hurling structures won us both a Leinster and a league title this decade. They also got us to within a whisker of an All Ireland final. As things stand now, they are far from perfect. However,they do not need such a radical overhaul or restructuring, that would warrant bringing in someone like Gilroy, whose organisational expertise is required to do a from the ground up assesment of our structural deficiencies. Our current issues spring from a man management issue issue primarily imo. Bringing in a structures "guru" ain't gonna fix those.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bonniedog wrote:
    He has really bad piece in Sindo today. Totally incoherent bollix. The article I mean not the writer

Agreed, a load of rubbish about Stephen king, sports books standing the test of time and C Cooper's book. I'm not Cooper's biggest fan, but I'm buying his book, I'm not expecting a classic, but I'd like his view on a few things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Stoner wrote: »
    Agreed, a load of rubbish about Stephen king, sports books standing the test of time and C Cooper's book. I'm not Cooper's biggest fan, but I'm buying his book, I'm not expecting a classic, but I'd like his view on a few things.

He makes an obscure, and presumably meant to be malign, reference to Philly McMahon at the end. Not quite sure what the point was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Lads O Neills have Dublin 3 in a row jerseys on sale for €45 .

I will wait for the 5 in a row version... :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement