Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

The reason for the sneaky elbows reference is that the dubs can't get over that he the cheek to drop an elbow back on Rory O'Carroll (I think) couple of years back, when O'Carroll was holding on to him.

But the thing is, he didn't even throw an elbow in that instance, he just threw out his arm to shake off a guy who was pulling him back by the arm. That happens 10 times in every game, just this time it happened to connect with the other guy's face and it drew blood.
    Anyone who has played a bit of football will know calling that an elbow is at best a stretch, at worst purposely disingenuous.

Id have no problem with people taking issue with O'Connor if he was actually doing the stuff that is being claimed. It comes across like some people think other players don't have the right to get stuck into their players. O'Carroll can be hanging out of a guy, but the guy is in the wrong if he gives him a bit back? Small can swing at a guys head, yet if the guy takes issue with it, he is a petulant whinger. It makes you wonder, what is the expectation? That they play nice while your lads walk all over them?

Im sure if any of you had a young lad playing football, and had some fella pulling and dragging out of him, you would say don't let that happen again. Why should O'Connor act any differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

But the thing is, he didn't even throw an elbow in that instance, he just threw out his arm to shake off a guy who was pulling him back by the arm. That happens 10 times in every game, just this time it happened to connect with the other guy's face and it drew blood.
    Anyone who has played a bit of football will know calling that an elbow is at best a stretch, at worst purposely disingenuous.

Id have no problem with people taking issue with O'Connor if he was actually doing the stuff that is being claimed. It comes across like some people think other players don't have the right to get stuck into their players. O'Carroll can be hanging out of a guy, but the guy is in the wrong if he gives him a bit back? Small can swing at a guys head, yet if the guy takes issue with it, he is a petulant whinger. It makes you wonder, what is the expectation? That they play nice while your lads walk all over them?

Im sure if any of you had a young lad playing football, and had some fella pulling and dragging out of him, you would say don't let that happen again. Why should O'Connor act any differently?

Completely agree. If you hold the jersey, you should expect some punishment dished out to you - into ribs, nose or most effective (in my GAA experiences) in the liathroidi. There's a bit of a delayed winding to the player holding the jersey, so it doesn't look like a blatent hit. Player will think twice about holding the jersey again. Or if he does, he'll have his other hand protecting the stones down under.

Ask Paul Gascoigne - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/paul-gascoigne-opens-up-incident-5864884

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

All counties don't appeal these things. Tipperary didn't appeal for example. .....

You do know that Evan Comerford appealed ... don't you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I dont want to make the thing about O'Connor but you made the effort to make the point, so I will respond to these issues you have.

First off, he doesn't dive, he go to ground under contact,

I thought you were defending O'Connor until you stated that. You are right - O'Connor goes to ground under contact from a little finger or the swish of a pony-tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Doltanian wrote: »
    Pure cynicism by the Dublin GAA to appeal Connolly's Ban. This all results from Galway's defeat of Mayo yesterday. Wheras the status quo would have seen Kerry meet Mayo in the All-Ireland Semi-Final assuming both Counties reached that far. Mayo now look destined to meet Dublin on the other side of the draw either in a Quarter Final or Semi-Final. Mayo are a great team but don't get going until mid-July or August.

Connolly's appeal is a direct reaction to the threat posed by Mayo as Mayo could dispose of Dublin handily in a quarter or semi final especially if Dublin are missing him. However the elephant in the room is the colossus in the Kingdom which are waiting in the long grass this year for Dublin. But with Yesterday's result I'm predicting a Kerry - Mayo Final and more misery for the westerners.

Everything is always about Mayo, isn't it?

Wouldn't it be better if the Mayo team and supporters stopped talking about football and actually knuckled down to winning something?

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Everything is always about Mayo, isn't it?

Wouldn't it be better if the Mayo team and supporters stopped talking about football and actually knuckled down to winning something?

Ah I think that's an old Kerry friend of ours Blanch ... time will tell ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,180 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Typical Dubs. Blaming us Mayo folk for things we didn't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

DoctaDee wrote: »
    You do know that Evan Comerford appealed ... don't you ?

Ah Doc, you don't expect them to know anything outside of their subject matter, ie the Dublin senior football team :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    Ah Doc, you don't expect them to know anything outside of their subject matter, ie the Dublin senior football team :)

:D .. well it's not the 1st time he's raced with blinkers on J

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I dont want to make the thing about O'Connor but you made the effort to make the point, so I will respond to these issues you have.

Well stop bringing it up and telling all of the Dublin supporters to get over him so.

Silly comment again.

• Advertisement

The reason for the sneaky elbows reference is that the dubs can't get over that he the cheek to drop an elbow back on Rory O'Carroll (I think) couple of years back, when O'Carroll was holding on to him.

It made no difference to the result though and was great preparation for not having Rory for the Double last year.

You know well it was Rory O'Carroll since you corrected me on it last year when I had the wrong details on it.

Keep up the Magic Flash, don't let it slip in the process though.

Appealing this is crazy, regardless of the circumstances (and Brollys almost legal advice in the SW yesterday)

It would be far better to let this pass by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Stoner wrote: »
    Appealing this is crazy, regardless of the circumstances (and Brollys almost legal advice in the SW yesterday)

Agreed. This is just going to turn into a circus which will act as a distraction for the rest of the panel. It will also give ammo to the whingers if he gets off and dublin are successfull this year.

Apart from that he deserves the ban and needs a good kick up the hole along with it. He's a fantastic player but I'm sick of worrying about what he's going to do next on the pitch with respect to discipline.

You don't lay a finger on a match official.........end of. We are doing our sport no favours by trying to justify this action. He didn't deck the linesman. He caused no injury to him but he crossed the line by laying a finger on him in a confrontational way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Any county with a talent like Connolly would use the tools available to them to appeal. Something has given them reason to believe they have a case..

For the Dublin fans bemoaning the decision to appeal, remember Connolly has been training hard for a long time to get to where he is. It's easy to come onto a forum and say he should just suck it up when you haven't even of a fraction of the skin in the game that he has. He is going to miss most of the championship and won't have proper fitness for the entire championship.

Do people think he can train, for the first time in 3 months, with the Dublin team on the day of the all Ireland semi final (assuming Dublin get there?). People talk about how drilled this Dublin team we and how they are pretty much professional. Well how does a player missing for 3 months coming back for potentially the 2 hardest games fit into that narrative?

Connolly is appealing to play in the championship, not to be available at the end of august!

Im sorry but the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ah it really does. Anyone pushes a ref in any other sport they'd be out for at least three games too. The fact that in the GAA 3 games takes 3 months to play in the summer is irrelevant. Refs need to be protected and if he manages to get away with this it will send an absolutely awful message.

I've always thought and said he'd get off if he appealed and I think he will.
    I agree it will be a complete distraction.

It not a problem coming back in late guys do it all the time. A couple of Vincent's vs the Dubs games would sort that out. With him playing for Vincents.

If Dublin progress he'll just get back carded on his next game out and if the team progress again he'll sit the next one out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Are you referring to Connolly here?

Are you referring to Connolly here?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Jayop wrote: »
    Ah it really does. Anyone pushes a ref in any other sport they'd be out for at least three games too. The fact that in the GAA 3 games takes 3 months to play in the summer is irrelevant. Refs need to be protected and if he manages to get away with this it will send an absolutely awful message.

The refs have all the tools available to them on the field to deal with issues like this. If they deemed it as such a serious offence in their report then he really should have got the line when it happened and let it be dealt with from there on. It would be very hard/impossible to defend if that happened but that's not the case. In typical GAA style the balls up the issue and allow a trail by Sunday Game type thing to happen.

Now my own view would be to take his medicine and move on but something has obviously come up to muddy the waters here.

Regardless of that the awful message put out there by the GAA is that the pulling and the dragging and the fouling and the play acting and the pulling and the dragging are acceptable ways to play the game.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Well stop bringing it up and telling all of the Dublin supporters to get over him so.

Silly comment again.

I responded to someone making unfair points about the guy. That isn't me bringing him up, and there is nothing silly about that either.

As for your inference that I am flasher0030, if you think Im going to bother posting over 300 times on a fake account to make it credible, just so I can go over to the dubs page and agree with myself, you have another thing coming. Judging me by your own standards maybe?

The thing is, you are a mod, Im assuming you have some method of comparing ip addresses, which means you could check that out yourself, so why make the accusation? Pretty disingenuous in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Gael85

I responded to someone making unfair points about the guy. That isn't me bringing him up, and there is nothing silly about that either.

As for your inference that I am flasher0030, if you think Im going to bother posting over 300 times on a fake account to make it credible, just so I can go over to the dubs page and agree with myself, you have another thing coming. Judging me by your own standards maybe?

The thing is, you are a mod, Im assuming you have some method of comparing ip addresses, which means you could check that out yourself, so why make the accusation? Pretty disingenuous in fairness.

Are you a flasher? :D:D

Gael85 wrote: »
    Are you a flasher? :D:D

You must be a stoner alter ego
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Hey. I'm the Flasher. I don't want MayoareMagic to steal my Full Monty thunder.

Sorry for railroading the D Connolly discussion.

The thing is, you are a mod, Im assuming you have some method of comparing ip addresses,

If only you weren't so assumption prone, it would improve the accuracy of your posts significantly.

If only you weren't so assumption prone, it would improve the accuracy of your posts significantly.

Kinda rich to be singing that tune, when you just assumed Im posting to myself with a second user account. Hypocritical even.
    Will you be backing this claim up?
    Can you back it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Kinda rich to be singing that tune, when you just assumed Im posting to myself with a second user account. Hypocritical even.
    Will you be backing this claim up?
    Can you back it up?

No, he's too busy eating coddle to make amends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Saucepan of coddle and 11 pints. That be dinner to Stoner. Stout man,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Any word yet from Dermo?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

He's too busy eating coddle too. :D

(Sans lentils obvs.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Too warm for coddle lads.

Extra carrots.

This discussion has been closed.