Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,848 ✭✭✭billyhead

What are the DCB playing at. Mattie Kenny won a county championship, provincial championship and AI club championship and has experience at inter county level and it looks like he will be overlooked for the senior county job? If he achieved the same in any other county and the senior job was vacant you can nearly guarantee he would get it:confused:And what does Anthony Cunningham know of the Dublin senior hurling set up in terms of talent coming through etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

billyhead wrote: »
    What are the DCB playing at. Mattie Kenny won a county championship, provincial championship and AI club championship and has experience at inter county level and it looks like he will be overlooked for the senior county job? If he achieved the same in any other county and the senior job was vacant you can nearly guarantee he would get it:confused:And what does Anthony Cunningham know of the Dublin senior hurling set up in terms of talent coming through etc.

Have you heard something? It's all quiet on the hurling front right now. Seems like whatever the DCB were going to announ3ce backfired. Bit of a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Bambi wrote: »
    Have you heard something? It's all quiet on the hurling front right now. Seems like whatever the DCB were going to announ3ce backfired. Bit of a joke

http://www.dublingaa.ie/news/pat-gilroy-named-dublin-senior-hurling-manager-on-3-year-term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I will wait for the 5 in a row version... :D

Why do we all skip the number 4 in things like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Anyone on here order anything of that GRMA.

Ordered a goalie jersey on the 8th of August was hoping to have it for the All Ireland Final. Nearly a month on a still nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Patww79 wrote: »
    He must have a leg of someone to get this over Kenny. A very strange appointment.

I don't find it strange, Pat manages the players and tries to entice certain players into squad Cunningham coaches.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Well if there's anyone who can push the cause of the hurlers with the county board its Gilroy. Sad indication that there's a requirement for that but that's where we are I guess

Hope it works out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I can definitely see the logic and he strikes me as someone who may be able to sway one or two across from football and probably bring back a couple who have left, he also seems like someone who will get everything he needs from the county board, that said unless the coaching is bang on it could be a disaster. Hes a successful man, playing coaching and in business and Id say he wouldnt be next to near this unless hes confident in everything going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

It is good that it is someone from within the county who won't just be visiting for a couple of days a week. He has a good record in other things so hopefully he will restore some order. I doubt he is sort of chap to tolerate nonsense either!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Is diarmuid Connolly an intercounty standard hurler? Don’t remember him playing underage for Dublin.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Is diarmuid Connolly an intercounty standard hurler? Don’t remember him playing underage for Dublin.

He played in an under 21 All Ireland final!

He is excellent hurler and still plays for Vinnies, but can't see him ever coming back to Dublin county.

Bonniedog wrote: »

He played in an under 21 All Ireland final!

He is excellent hurler and still plays for Vinnies, but can't see him ever coming back to Dublin county.

Fair enough, I thought Costello, jack McCaffrey, Kilkenny were all better hurlers but I’m not a dub so wouldn’t completely know.

Fair enough, I thought Costello, jack McCaffrey, Kilkenny were all better hurlers but I’m not a dub so wouldn’t completely know.

Connolly had the sort of Kilkenny, as in county Kilkenny!, ruthlessness in him that Dublin hurling has really lacked. They'd never have gotten to 21s final without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

Jack McCaffrey never played hurling at underage for Dublin

Gael85 wrote: »
    Jack McCaffrey never played hurling at underage for Dublin

Not sure he ever played hurling. Do Clontarf do hurling :)

On more serious note, Dublin hurling cannot really be at elite level in competition with football.

In my lifetime, hurlers like Keaveney, the Foleys, Hanahoe, Mick Holden, Shane Ryan, Keaney, Kilkenny, Connolly, Costello etc, etc... have chosen to play football when they were all good enough to play for any county team. O'Callaghan now, who put in performance for Cuala in club final that has only been equalled by likes of Canning, Liam Watson, Shefflin, Doran...gone.

In 1962 Heffo told Vinnies players, which was basically Dublin in football and hurling, totally dominated the championships, that they had to give up hurling for county. This was year after coming within a puck of the ball of beating the greatest Tipp team ever. Won football All Ireland in 1963 beating one of best teams ever, the Galway three-in-a-row team. That was the end of Dublin as a serious force in hurling. We are only fooling ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

On more serious note, Dublin hurling cannot really be at elite level in competition with football.

In my lifetime, hurlers like Keaveney, the Foleys, Hanahoe, Mick Holden, Shane Ryan, Keaney, Kilkenny, Connolly, Costello etc, etc... have chosen to play football when they were all good enough to play for any county team. O'Callaghan now, who put in performance for Cuala in club final that has only been equalled by likes of Canning, Liam Watson, Shefflin, Doran...gone.

In 1962 Heffo told Vinnies players, which was basically Dublin in football and hurling, totally dominated the championships, that they had to give up hurling for county. This was year after coming within a puck of the ball of beating the greatest Tipp team ever. Won football All Ireland in 1963 beating one of best teams ever, the Galway three-in-a-row team. That was the end of Dublin as a serious force in hurling. We are only fooling ourselves.

Difference now is strength in depth.

When ever did a player as good as Diarmuid Connolly start they year not knowing if he would make the football team.

What does that say to young players coming through. The very very best players will get on the football team. For others, who are just below them, the choice might be between being a squad player in football or playing on the hurling team...

Clontarf do hurling very well at underage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Might have played with the skool. I don't know what school he went to.
    Paul's is rugby, Ard Scoil and Joeys would have gaa.
    Mount Temple raise rock stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I think Joe Canning lined out for Galway in that under 21 final Connolly played in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Might have played with the skool. I don't know what school he went to.
    Paul's is rugby, Ard Scoil and Joeys would have gaa.
    Mount Temple raise rock stars.

I for one can remember getting a right trimming from Ard Scoil in a Dublin schools final fadó fadó

• Advertisement

Yeah, don’t mind what I said about jack mc, should be clear by now I’m fairly clueless about who we’re the best hurlers on the football panel

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Dublin will win Leinster in two years and will play an all Ireland final in three years...hurling that is...gilroy is a class act..

Billy Mays wrote: »
    I think Joe Canning lined out for Galway in that under 21 final Connolly played in

He did indeed. It was the foundation of Galway winning senior. Whatever happened to Lee by the way? He was centre half back when they hammered us.

Dublin had some great players like DC but were not
    at races in the final.

Soulsun wrote: »
    Dublin will win Leinster in two years and will play an all Ireland final in three years...hurling that is...gilroy is a class act..

Not a chance. Callaghan is symbol of what reality of GAA in Dublin is. He is phenomenal hurler, one of best I've seen but he chose the big ball. Always was, always shall Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭donnem33

Billy Mays wrote: »

He did indeed. It was the foundation of Galway winning senior. Whatever happened to Lee by the way? He was centre half back when they hammered us.

Dublin had some great players like DC but were not
    at races in the final.

Lee did play senior for Galway however only for one or two years.  Due to niggly injuries and becoming a doctor curtailed his intercounty career. He still plays with the Liam Mellows club.
    Coincidentally I recently watched that match again on YouTube lately. The amount of players Dublin carried forward to senior level compared to Galway greatly surprised me.  Along with Lee, at the time I thought Kerill Wade was destined for great things in a maroon shirt.  I was only a young lad at the time, but the u21 semi final that year against Cork was one of the most exciting matches I was ever at, Galway won in extra time.
    Apart from Anthony Cunnigham, who else is Gilroy rumored to be bringing into the set up? Surely Shay Boland would be a good move and an ex player like Conal Keaney?

donnem33 wrote: »
    Lee did play senior for Galway however only for one or two years.  Due to niggly injuries and becoming a doctor curtailed his intercounty career. He still plays with the Liam Mellows club.
    Coincidentally I recently watched that match again on YouTube lately. The amount of players Dublin carried forward to senior level compared to Galway greatly surprised me.  Along with Lee, at the time I thought Kerill Wade was destined for great things in a maroon shirt.  I was only a young lad at the time, but the u21 semi final that year against Cork was one of the most exciting matches I was ever at, Galway won in extra time.
    Apart from Anthony Cunnigham, who else is Gilroy rumored to be bringing into the set up? Surely Shay Boland would be a good move and an ex player like Conal Keaney?

I like the fact that it is someone living here. Would have preferred Kenny to be honest. Daly gave them a big boost of confidence, but I really don't think that someone coming to training twice a week works. As you know in Galway with Loughnane!

Cuala winning AI was best thing ever happened to Dublin hurling. Standard has improved because of that and been a few surprises. I'd be moderately optimistic, bearing in mind I've seen us beaten by Roscommon and Kildare... but we won't delve on that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭donnem33

donnem33 wrote: »

I like the fact that it is someone living here. Would have preferred Kenny to be honest.  Daly gave them a big boost of confidence, but I really don't think that someone coming to training twice a week works. As you know in Galway with Loughnane!

Cuala winning AI was best thing ever happened to Dublin hurling. Standard has improved because of that and been a few surprises. I'd be moderately optimistic, bearing in mind I've seen us beaten by Roscommon and Kildare... but we won't delve on that :)
    Kenny is from my own club in Galway, I know him well. Was disappointed he didnt get the job to be honest, although I think he is a much better coach than a manager.  
    It ll be interesting to see if many of the players who left the panel last year will come back to Dublin this year.  The only ones I think good enough though are Sutcliffe and the 2 Shuttes and maybe Cronin.  The likes of Maguire, McCaffrey and Michael Carton I think have had there day and wouldn't be up to it anymore.  Coincidentally with Ger Cunningham blooding so many younger players last year, I think the experience will benefit them hugely going forward and in 2/3 years time Dublin will be a force in Leinster

Get out of 1b and be able to give any of the top 5 a game would be a good point to reach. Consistent performances at the top level is what we need, success will come from that, not boom and bust cycles, or a smash and grab for Leinster.

Reckon Kenny saw Dublin as a stepping stone to the Galway job, Gilroy probably the better option for continued improvement after the three years are up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Soulsun wrote: »

Under the new system there is not a hope of either scenarios tbh, and Dublin need to become a competitive Top 8 team first and establish themselves there.

But as Bonnie says this will always be a struggle and there will always be a glass ceiling simply because of the 'tradition' in Dublin. It's incidentally the exact opposite of Tipp and for the same reason last years AI semi will be the peak of Tipp footballers success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I like the fact that it is someone living here. Would have preferred Kenny to be honest. Daly gave them a big boost of confidence, but I really don't think that someone coming to training twice a week works. As you know in Galway with Loughnane!

Not so sure about that. They are just one club. Yes, they had a great year, but they were led by a fabulous player, who then then upped sticks and left to play another code. It's not like they are at the vanguard of a movement and loads of other players and clubs are now going to follow in their wake, which will have a positive knock on effect on the intercounty scene.

I hate to be a negative nelly and I would love to be proved wrong. But with the drain of hurlers to the footballers, it is going to take a lot more than Cuala's success, if hurling in Dublin is going to really, really push on over all. It starts with retaining the loyalties of young lads in South County Dublin, surrounded by soccer and rugby and non sporting influences, never mind Dermo and Clucko's demi god status and arse full of AI medals. It is a very, very tough ask and Cuala are not able to carry the load on their own.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement