Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

donnem33 wrote: »
    Kenny is from my own club in Galway, I know him well. Was disappointed he didnt get the job to be honest, although I think he is a much better coach than a manager.  
    It ll be interesting to see if many of the players who left the panel last year will come back to Dublin this year.  The only ones I think good enough though are Sutcliffe and the 2 Shuttes and maybe Cronin.  The likes of Maguire, McCaffrey and Michael Carton I think have had there day and wouldn't be up to it anymore.  Coincidentally with Ger Cunningham blooding so many younger players last year, I think the experience will benefit them hugely going forward and in 2/3 years time Dublin will be a force in Leinster

Is Kenny based in Dublin or Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

donnem33 wrote: »
    Kenny is from my own club in Galway, I know him well. Was disappointed he didnt get the job to be honest, although I think he is a much better coach than a manager.  
    It ll be interesting to see if many of the players who left the panel last year will come back to Dublin this year.  The only ones I think good enough though are Sutcliffe and the 2 Shuttes and maybe Cronin.  The likes of Maguire, McCaffrey and Michael Carton I think have had there day and wouldn't be up to it anymore.  Coincidentally with Ger Cunningham blooding so many younger players last year, I think the experience will benefit them hugely going forward and in 2/3 years time Dublin will be a force in Leinster

He needs to get the Cuala players on side.

Others you have mentioned were great players but their day is gone. Daly was possibly too sentimental.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Not so sure about that. They are just one club. Yes, they had a great year, but they were led by a fabulous player, who then then upped sticks and left to play another code. It's not like they are at the vanguard of a movement and loads of other players and clubs are now going to follow in their wake, which will have a positive knock on effect on the intercounty scene.

I hate to be a negative nelly and I would love to be proved wrong. But with the drain of hurlers to the footballers, it is going to take a lot more than Cuala's success, if hurling in Dublin is going to really, really push on over all. It starts with retaining the loyalties of young lads in South County Dublin, surrounded by soccer and rugby and non sporting influences, never mind Dermo and Clucko's demi god status and arse full of AI medals. It is a very, very tough ask and Cuala are not able to carry the load on their own.

Championship has improved this year, don't you think? Cuala have set the bar higher, to the cost of some clubs that were taken out. No one will beat them in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Jaysus if this wasnt on the Dublin thread people would be claiming that Dubs have an unfair numbers advantage but here we,re claiming we dont have enough good players and those we do stick with football. Surely within the amount of top players in Dublin capable of stepping up to intercounty level the handful who choose football is actually quite small (that are playing for the Dublin footballers) obviously O Callaghan, Kilkenny and Connolly and probably a few others could get in to the hurling team but its really up to Gilroy to persuade the level just below them that its better to play i/c hurling than be in an i/c football squad and not see much game time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

salmocab wrote: »
    Jaysus if this wasnt on the Dublin thread people would be claiming that Dubs have an unfair numbers advantage but here we,re claiming we dont have enough good players and those we do stick with football. Surely within the amount of top players in Dublin capable of stepping up to intercounty level the handful who choose football is actually quite small (that are playing for the Dublin footballers) obviously O Callaghan, Kilkenny and Connolly and probably a few others could get in to the hurling team but its really up to Gilroy to persuade the level just below them that its better to play i/c hurling than be in an i/c football squad and not see much game time

Its more than a couple from the football though. There's loads of them at the football who were brilliant hurlers underage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

It's not simply the numbers its the quality, fact is that invariably the best players will also be the ones that excel at both codes and in Dublins case the harsh reality is that the only ones who will play hurling are those deemed not good enough for the footballers.

danganabu wrote: »
    It's not simply the numbers its the quality, fact is that invariably the best players will also be the ones that excel at both codes and in Dublins case the harsh reality is that the only ones who will play hurling are those deemed not good enough for the footballers.

well not invariably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

salmocab wrote: »
    well not invariably

My bad, of course not invariably but often enough for it to be a huge hurdle for the development of the perceived second choice code.

corny wrote: »
    Its more than a couple from the football though. There's loads of them at the football who were brilliant hurlers underage.

well yeah but I named 3 players and said probably a few others so didnt suggest a couple.

The footballers are obviously a bigger draw for young players but as commentators spent the summer pointing out its also the hardest gig to break into, I cant believe that all the hurling talent in the county is in the football team and the hurlers cant find a quality 25/30 from the players left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

A dublin accent must have been the main criteria for the hurling job? :rolleyes:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

A dublin accent must have been the main criteria for the hurling job? :rolleyes:

I heard it was a coddle-off between Gilroy and Kenny. Poor Kenny didn't know what the lads we're on about and just stuck on a pot of lentils :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Kenny just spent the last three years out in Dalkey FFS. He probably knows as much about coddle, as I do about the life cycle of the Flugenheimstadt Bavarian lugworm. :rolleyes:

2018 league fixtures are out.

Football.

Round 1: Dublin v Kildare - Saturday, January 27th - Croke Park
    Round 2: Tyrone v Dublin - Saturday, February 3rd - Away
    Round 3: Dublin v Donegal - Saturday, February 10th - Croke Park
    Round 4: Mayo v Dublin - Saturday, February 24th - Away
    Round 5: Dublin v Kerry - Saturday, March 3rd - Croke Park
    Round 6: Galway v Dublin - Sunday, March 18th - Away (Paddy's weekend in Galway, way hey hey ! :D )
    Round 7: Dublin v Monaghan - Sunday, March 25th - Croke Park

Hurling.

Round 1: Dublin v Offaly - Saturday, January 27th -Home
    Round 2: Antrim v Dublin - Sunday February 4th - Away
    Round 3: Limerick v Dublin - Saturday, February 17th - Away
    Round 4: Dublin v Galway - Sunday, February 25th - Home
    Round 5: Laois v Dublin - Sunday, March 4th - Away

Venues/Times to be confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Football.

Round 6: Galway v Dublin - Sunday, March 18th - Away (Paddy's weekend in Galway, way hey hey ! :D )

27th will be a double header with hurlers against Offaly I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I honestly would have thought Dublin v Mayo under lights on a Saturday night was begging to be the first game of the league. FFS.

Yeah, not a very appetizing game to kick off the league schedule, is it?

Last year, it was Cavan v Dublin , which didnt exactly set the world on fire either ! (Sorry Cavan folks, but it didn't.)

If the marketing gurus had any sense at all, they would make sure to have a couple of real barn burners on in in Round 1, to kick things off and whet peoples appetites.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Football.

Hurling.

Round 1: Dublin v Offaly - Saturday, January 27th -Home
    Round 2: Antrim v Dublin - Sunday February 4th - Away
    Round 3: Limerick v Dublin - Saturday, February 17th - Away
    Round 4: Dublin v Galway - Sunday, February 25th - Home
    Round 5: Laois v Dublin - Sunday, March 4th - Away

Venues/Times to be confirmed.

The hurlers might be able to get a bit of momentum going have Galway at home and everything it is all set up nicely for Gilroy

As for the football I assume it will fellas who did well in the O'Byrne cup v Kildare mixed with a few of the fringe players
    Against Tyrone I would expect Gavin to name as close to full strength as he can.
    Can mix it up v Donegal a bit since it is at home.
    Full strength v Mayo and Kerry.

Hopefully the Galway game will be a dead rubber can't see Galway winning that one no matter team is put out anyway.

Fixtures have fallen nicely in the football as well can ease into in will be warmed up nicely for Kerry and Mayo.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

The hurlers might be able to get a bit of momentum going have Galway at home and everything it is all set up nicely for Gilroy

As for the football I assume it will fellas who did well in the O'Byrne cup v Kildare mixed with a few of the fringe players
    Against Tyrone I would expect Gavin to name as close to full strength as he can.
    Can mix it up v Donegal a bit since it is at home.
    Full strength v Mayo and Kerry.

Hopefully the Galway game will be a dead rubber can't see Galway winning that one no matter team is put out anyway.

Fixtures have fallen nicely in the football as well can ease into in will be warmed up nicely for Kerry and Mayo.

That's the hotel booked in Tyrone.
    Bringing the Missus out foreign for our anniversary!!

It's a little bit sad, how happy a functioning clock at Parnell Park makes me.

It's a little bit sad, how happy a functioning clock at Parnell Park makes me.

Game, Set and Match now.
    2-13 to 0-8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Red completely destroyed that as a contest, harsh enough I think a black was sufficient , would have liked a proper game for the last 40

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Donal55 wrote: »
    Game, Set and Match now.
    2-13 to 0-8.

Game set and match to who? Thought that one would be close. Crokes I'm guessing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Game set and match to who? Thought that one would be close. Crokes I'm guessing.

You'd be wrong. Kickhams ran away with it really.

The outcome was never in doubt, regardless of the red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

2nd red for Judes. Keeper nearly took Carthy's head off.

Could have had another one just before half time.

Uphill battle now 2 points down and 2 men down.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    2nd red for Judes. Keeper nearly took Carthy's head off.

Could have had another one just before half time.

Uphill battle now 2 points down and 2 men down.

Deserved straight red and yet commentators were hoping that a yellow should be issued. This is whats wrong with the application of rules in football.

Full credit to the ref.

Thats game now. A Mossie Quinn goal.

Probably should have been a free out for charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

It was a nonsense red if you ask me. High tackle yellow. Nothing more.

corny wrote:
    It was a nonsense red if you ask me. High tackle yellow. Nothing more.

I've no loyalty to either side but there was clear intent from the keeper. It was reckless with serious force. Carthy could have been seriously injured. It was a proper clothesline.

Glad to see Judes get a goal to balance the scoreline.

4-12 to 1-12 flatters Vincents, though they were clearly the better team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've no loyalty either I think it was right on the line. In slow motion it looked more yellow than red as it was more of a shoulder grab. If you were the ref it looked like a red

No messing with carthy either, I really like the guy my favourite Vincents player at the moment.

Jude's had a great shape but it relied on sneaking a win and 15 men finishing.

One thing about mossy, he's a great man for taking goal chances at any level.
    KMcM frees were excellent

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement