Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭kala85

What's the best way to get from heuston station to parnell park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

kala85 wrote: »

Bus to Liberty Hall then 20b or 27b to Donneycarney church from Bus Aras.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Get the Luas to Middle Abbey Street and then turn right onto quays, and then left towards Liberty Hall and you have choice of at least three buses - 14, 15, and 27 that will get you there in 10/15 minutes.

I assume you are a Dicksboro man? One of neighbours who is in his 80s is avid supporter and hope he will get over!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Luas to Connolly Station, DART to Killester, 10 minute walk or so to Parnell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭kala85

EICVD wrote: »
    Luas to Connolly Station, DART to Killester, 10 minute walk or so to Parnell

Thanks,

Will any of the new luas stations go close to it when they are finished

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Thanks,

Will any of the new luas stations go close to it when they are finished

No, miles away still.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/PwCIreland/status/926534527270387714

So, seven All Stars this year, with Con getting his first All Star alongside the Young Player of the Year award. Any surprise omissions/inclusions, do you think?

McCarthy lost out to Andy Moran in the Player of the Year award, so once again, the award goes to a player that didn't win any trophies this year :D

Can't argue with it too much really, Andy had a phenomenal year, and at 34 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Well deserved YFOTY award for Con. Loved the bit were he said,he'd not counted how many medals he'd won this year. Very grounded young man.

What was the reasoning behind the 4 POTY nominations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Ha clarke won a all star over cluxton? You win all stars for kicking away your teams last chance in a all ireland apparantley. Not forgetting the 8 goals he let past.

Joke. Not even going to adress the poty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Clarke lol

Just change the name of POTY to
    "sympathy vote for losing against Dublin in an All Ireland final and being ****e all year against ****e teams".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

kona wrote: »
    Ha clarke won a all star over cluxton? You win all stars for kicking away your teams last chance in a all ireland apparantley. Not forgetting the 8 goals he let past.

Joke. Not even going to adress the poty.

I would have more of a problem with the full back line

Clarke had a good year 8 conceded but a number of decent saves. He was left really exposed.

Besides I don't think Cluxton would care!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I would have more of a problem with the full back line

Clarke had a good year 8 conceded but a number of decent saves. He was left really exposed.

Besides I don't think Cluxton would care!

An awful lot of players represented from a team that hasnt won a provential title in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Let them get the sympathy votes. It's all they get, poor loser votes. Boo hoo hoo.

All Ireland medals, is all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Tom Parsons the big loser. Sacrificed to accommodate AOS.
    Midfield should've been Parsons/McCarthy with Colm Cavanagh in the half forward line. Jason Doherty also hard done by.
    Was AOS a better 11 than Kilkenny this year.? not a hope. had a quiet final but was the talisman for Dublin along the way. The argument will be that the opposition were poor, but so were Clare and Derry.
    Tom Parsons needs to increase his amount of twitter followers.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I don't understand Mick Fitzsimons seemingly being an automatic. On every team i've seen now he's been chosen. Weird since he's had better years and didn't really stand out in any game this year IIRR. Johnny Cooper is unlucky. Still first for Fitzsimons and long overdue i suppose.

POTY is a laugh again. Best two players weren't even nominated. What Mannion did against Monaghan was largely ignored. If it were a more established player (say AOS) the performance would have merited a statue being built. These are the vagaries of these things. Not objective in any way.

I doubt Cluxton be crying into his pillow, but not the first time he has been outrageously overlooked.

Would have had Cillian over O'Shea. A forward who couldn't hit a barn door from five feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

The goons who voted for that should be made watch Clarke’s last kick out in the final where he put it out over the sideline- on a loop, for eternity

The goons who voted for that should be made watch Clarke’s last kick out in the final where he put it out over the sideline- on a loop, for eternity

In fairness, I can see why he got it. I wouldn't agree with it, but I can see why he was picked.

The Mayo defence during the qualifiers was absolutely terrible, and Clarke kept them in it at times with vital saves. Of course, that also means that he let in more goals, but a lesser goal keeper would have let twice that amount in.

Dublin didn't really have that with Cluxton, because A) Our defence wasn't terrible, and B) Our offence was great, meaning that any shot Cluxton saved was a bit pointless, we weren't in danger of losing.

That changed in the final of course, a much tighter game, but to be honest, I don't think either keeper covered themselves in personal glory there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

CatInABox wrote: »
    In fairness, I can see why he got it. I wouldn't agree with it, but I can see why he was picked.

The Mayo defence during the qualifiers was absolutely terrible, and Clarke kept them in it at times with vital saves. Of course, that also means that he let in more goals, but a lesser goal keeper would have let twice that amount in.

Dublin didn't really have that with Cluxton, because A) Our defence wasn't terrible, and B) Our offence was great, meaning that any shot Cluxton saved was a bit pointless, we weren't in danger of losing.

That changed in the final of course, a much tighter game, but to be honest, I don't think either keeper covered themselves in personal glory there.

The defence that has 4 all stars.....you couldn't make it up

It is a bit strange alright. It's like the people selecting them have guidelines for how many each team can have, I don't remember them going back through the years, but it always seems to come in around a 7>6>1>1 split. It's a little bit b****x, to be honest.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    It is a bit strange alright. It's like the people selecting them have guidelines for how many each team can have, I don't remember them going back through the years, but it always seems to come in around a 7>6>1>1 split. It's a little bit b****x, to be honest.

It used to more widely spread I have poster of 1974 All Stars - sad I know! - and there were seven different counties represented, including Sligo and Roscommon . Dublin had six: Cullen, Doherty, Kelliher, Reilly, Hickey and Jimbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So Cluxton with only a point lead in a final, is casually playing keep ball in front of his own goal and skipping past challenges like its a training match is ignored for a lad who completely **** the bed on his last kickouts with a spare man and cost his team an AI :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

corny wrote: »

POTY is a laugh again. Best two players weren't even nominated. What Mannion did against Monaghan was largely ignored. If it were a more established player (say AOS) the performance would have merited a statue being built. These are the vagaries of these things. Not objective in any way.

No issue with Moran winning it. He was excellent all year and gave our full back line a tough time in final.

The joke is how they added Clarke in as the 4th nominee and how he won an all star above Cluxo.

The original shortlist of 6 for POTY included Mannion and O'Callaghan before they were voted off I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The defence that lost to Galway, drew with the Rossies, drew with Kerry, needed extra time to beat Derry and Cork and made hard work of beaing Clare, but yeah, let's go ahead and shower them with All Stars? You really couldn't make it up ! :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

CatInABox wrote:
    Can't argue with it too much really, Andy had a phenomenal year, and at 34 too.

I'd agree with that he'd a good final too

People talk about Mayo being as good as Dublin and I agree to an extent- the difference is composure with Mayo being victim to instances like O Connor missing that free, Vaughan behaving like a goon and their keeper kicking the ball over the sideline when the game is in the melting pot.

Thats why they lose- yet their keeper gets an All Star? Ludicrous as far as I can see

Yes, but you would have to say that Cillian - who I have developed fierce antipathy to! - and Vaughan who I like, were much more valuable to Mayo than AOS. I assume Vaughan's red card ruled him out?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I have mixed feeling's about the all-stars.
    Since Dublin's period of sustained and unprecedented success I could not give a damn about the all-stars.
    But I thought back to the period when Dublin were really struggling from just before 2000 until 2009.
    Back then, I watched the all-stars very carefully hung on every word spoken about any Dublin player.
    I codded myself into thinking this was a chink of light, some hope, some solace some sort of improvement.

When in reality it is really flawed system of awards, which mean little in the greater scheme of things.
    Riddled with politics, confirmation bias, selective amnesia, and the complete absence of any validation of those from the weaker counties, like Carlow.
    Off the top of my head wasn't the fella who played out of his skin for Carlow v Dublin called Murphy something?
    He had a beard.

At most the all-star's gets those involved a free dinner, a few drinks and a nice free night out.

But the 'Murphy something's with the beards' are forgotten about :mad:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bonniedog wrote:
    Yes, but you would have to say that Cillian - who I have developed fierce antipathy to! - and Vaughan who I like, were much more valuable to Mayo than AOS. I assume Vaughan's red card ruled him out?

I'd say Vaughan was in the running for one up to the sending off.
    I think he got a hard time form the media, or else Clarke got an easy time.

Vaughan has a huge range of performances from ineffectual to brilliant. Thought he was on the side of consistently good this year.

Clarke, fell apart in the last ten minutes, and it's the timing of meltdown too. IMO he had more influence on Mayo's loss than Vaughan.
    However I think there are too many out there who big Clarke up, not playing him was blamed on Mayo losing a previous final. They can't climb down from it.

The irony of is that his four or five errors in the last 10 to 15 minutes of play in the final had a significant contribution to the result. It's easier for some (not necessarily Mayo supporters) to blame Vaughan, but Clarkes performance needs the sort of analysis that Cluxton meltdown against Kerry got. It didn't get it possibly because it would contradict their previous agreements.

There's no way he was an all-star, the rest of it is much of a muchness.

In 2017 he was terrible when they needed to close out the game, that's not all star stuff, end off.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    I'd say Vaughan was in the running for one up to the sending off.
    I think he got a hard time form the media, or else Clarke got an easy time.

Vaughan has a huge range of performances from ineffectual to brilliant. Thought he was on the side of consistently good this year.

Clarke, fell apart in the last ten minutes, and it's the timing of meltdown too. IMO he had more influence on Mayo's loss than Vaughan.
    However I think there are too many out there who big Clarke up, not playing him was blamed on Mayo losing a previous final. They can't climb down from it.

The irony of is that his four or five errors in the last 10 to 15 minutes of play in the final had a significant contribution to the result. It's easier for some (not necessarily Mayo supporters) to blame Vaughan, but Clarkes performance needs the sort of analysis that Cluxton meltdown against Kerry got. It didn't get it possibly because it would contradict their previous agreements.

There's no way he was an all-star, the rest of it is much of a muchness.

In 2017 he was terrible when they needed to close out the game, that's not all star stuff, end off.

I couldn’t agree more- when composure and execution was needed most- he failed and failed badly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement