Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Patww79 wrote: »

No the first pub on your left heading to Dublin. Chippers my arse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Vinnies won a pile of SFCs and SHCs in 50s and 60s so likes of Foleys and Heffo would come close but doubt they have that many. Lar might as he played for some ridiculous amount of years! Some achievement all the same. Remember we stopped in Ashford on way back from O'Byrne game about ten years ago, and someone explaining why he played hurling for Glenealy and football for Rathnew!

Happens a lot around the country. Most likely the 2 villages are in the same parish. Paul Galvin and Eamon Fitzmaurice played football for Finuge and hurling for Lixnaw in Kerry.
    Clubs would go under the name of one village for hurling and the other for football. Cuts out friction/bad feeling and keeps everyone happy...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

washman3 wrote:
    Happens a lot around the country. Most likely the 2 villages are in the same parish. Paul Galvin and Eamon Fitzmaurice played football for Finuge and hurling for Lixnaw in Kerry. Clubs would go under the name of one village for hurling and the other for football. Cuts out friction/bad feeling and keeps everyone happy...

Happens in Dublin too Bonnie.

We'd a number of Senior Hurlers at ER that played football with Silvesters, they'd no senior hurling

Brother of mine played U21 for commericals because ER had no u21 team and that was hurling only, went back to senior with ER when the u21 championship ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Denis Bastick announces retirement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Bastick was great player. Retiring with 5 All Irelands although did not play for full 70 in any.

Not so sure about Sutcliffe to be honest. didn't like the way he was sneering at the players who wore the jersey last two years. Gets another trip to the States anyway ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Bastick was great player. Retiring with 5 All Irelands although did not play for full 70 in any.

Not so sure about Sutcliffe to be honest. didn't like the way he was sneering at the players who wore the jersey last two years. Gets another trip to the States anyway ...

Bastick and Paddy Andrews. Two of the most honest and hardworking players for Dublin. They just get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Great time for Bastick, at an age most players start fading away he upped his game immensely and put in some vital shifts for us.

Only one Hurling man on the Dublin management panel, a selector who I doubt would know a hurler from a road sweeper but sure he's pals with Gilroy

Bodes well.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Great time for Bastick, at an age most players start fading away he upped his game immensely and put in some vital shifts for us.

He was genuine hard man. Came on, did the business and never got involved in silly stuff. Would not have won a few of those All Irelands without him.

He was genuine hard man. Came on, did the business and never got involved in silly stuff. Would not have won a few of those All Irelands without him.

Seem to remember a few refs showing him the line but he learned to curb his temper in fairness..or got sneakier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

So long General Basticus !

THAT back flip will live long in the memory, wherever, whenever Dubs congregate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ProudDUB wrote:
    So long General Basticus !

A good guy. We still struggle at midfield.

Himself and MDMA at their best did a decent job for us.

Did very little this year understandable that he retired.

As it stands I can't see it making much difference to the team now. Lads like Howard etc are ready to go.

Draw for the O'Byrne Cup is out.

We got Offaly and Wexico....sunny, subtropical Enniscorthy.....aaaaaand somewhere in the middle of a bog....here we come baby !

Meath in the hurling. We get to beat them in everything!

Only joking, good to see them back in senior competition and good to see colleges not taking part. Day before New Years Eve is seriously strange time to be having games.

foot-on-neck.jpg

You are in your hole joking !

Keep yer boot on the back of the fcukers neck and don't ever let up. EVER ! That's my motto.

Turned on Irelands Greatest Sporting Moments tonight. There they were, nominated in the 1990's category. The big smiley, happy heads on them from '91.

A pox upon them ! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ah now! Always liked them to be honest. Good honest shower :-)

you are a bitter man, north county!

7605673515796217b753a0659954730d--forgive-and-forget-sarcasm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm a city boy and equally as bitter.

Them and the Cute Hoors can vanish.

You and Stoner need to remember where ye are.

• Advertisement

I've never really got too worked about Kerry, they're the joker to our batman, or Tyrone (much), or Mayo (not even rivals)

But them durty Royals...I hope they continue to rise in the Hurling world so we can bate them in both codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

It's strange over the years how you revaluate Mordor and their contribution to football. As a young fella I'd have struggled to find anything remotely redeeming about them, but as the years have gone by and having contact with ex players thru coaching etc you get a window into their esoteric philosophy, long before blue books and sports psychology they understood exactly who they were, being the Royal county, the seat of the high kings and how that shaped their mentality - probably best summed up as "never take a backwards step". I'll leave at that before I go full on Dr Phil :D

In other matters in the North county, the Leinster IFC semi final takes place this Saturday between Ballyboughal and Curraha in Boughal, not the greatest of venues with regards parking etc and a tight pitch but I'll probably pack a survival bag and head over, barely the width of the border separates the 2 so I'll expect skin and hair flying.

Big ask for Ballyboughal against an ever improving young Curraha. I'd expect the royals to be lighting fires on the hill of Tara afterwards :(

DoctaDee wrote: »

In other matters in the North county, the Leinster IFC semi final takes place this Saturday between Ballyboughal and Curraha in Boughal, not the greatest of venues with regards parking etc and a tight pitch but I'll probably pack a survival bag and head over, barely the width of the border separates the 2 so I'll expect skin and hair flying.

Big ask for Ballyboughal against an ever improving young Curraha. I'd expect the royals to be lighting fires on the hill of Tara afterwards :(

Tough and exciting game last Saturday with Ballyboughal getting over the line by the odd point, making them the 1st Dublin team since Olafs in 2013 to reach the final, they'll be facing Matty Fordes Kilanerin this Saturday.

Where is the inter final being played?

Where is the inter final being played?

Wexford Pk Bonnie

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Tough and exciting game last Saturday with Ballyboughal getting over the line by the odd point, making them the 1st Dublin team since Olafs in 2013 to reach the final, they'll be facing Matty Fordes Kilanerin this Saturday.

Esoteric philosophies....waxing lyrical about ancient high kings....bonfires on the Hill of Tara.

Were you drinking some of The Witchdoctors potions over the weekend or 'wha?

We'll be havin' none of that sort of carry on in the Dublin thread, thank you very much !

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Esoteric philosophies....waxing lyrical about ancient high kings....bonfires on the Hill of Tara.

Were you drinking some of The Witchdoctors potions over the weekend or 'wha?

We'll be havin' none of that sort of carryon in the Dublin thread, thank you very much !

mea culpa I lost a run of meself !! :D

Football wise - Fingal Ravens stand alone as the only Dublin team to win a Leinster IFC. Of course the big drawback for us is that no Inter team that have a Senior team can take part in the Leinster IFC. The Dublin final (I think) will be contested between Crokes and Judes and the other semi final teams were senior clubs also - Na Fianna were one can't offhand think of the other.

It left 4 beaten 1/4 finalists to play off for the right to represent Dublin - Garda, Finbarrs, Trinity G & Boughal. I honestly thought with Boughal coming thru and them having a playoff with Barrogs to go senior league that they would have their eye on that prize, and expected Curraha to come through. Coupled with the impression from one of the brethern who lives close to the badlands that Curraha were very optimistic of winning on Saturday.

I haveta say having seen Ratoath giving Pats Donabate a football lesson a couple of years ago in this comp (and Pats being senior league), the fact that Curraha had got to the Junior AISF last year made them favs to my mind.

Fair play to Ballyboughal tho, a small village team, coached by local lads (when the fad is to hand over 15-30K to charlatans), they'll get their big day out and then have a chance to play senior win, lose or draw on Saturday...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Dalo is back in Dublin!

He's taken charge of Kilmacud Crokes, along with Richie Stakelum.

Nice to see him back, I always really liked him.

Have a lot of grá for Daly

None for Crokes though :D

• Advertisement

Welcome back Dalo !

A true Dub at heart.

Sez me actual heart.

But the cynical aul head wants to know how much this is costing Crokes?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement