Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Slattsy wrote: »
    Good first half from Cuala. They continue to impress me more every time i see them. O'Callaghan just unreal, the most talented player in the country, probably.

Nasty pull at the end from their 11.

Said before that when games are close you can expect a bit of an edge. Offaly crowd were beaten after ten minutes and resorted to cowardly assaults.

Trying to injure opponent when the game is long over is just scumbaggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Spot on. Imagine the outcry if it was a Dub getting up to that kinds of ****e. There'd be war.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I didn't get over to Ballyboughal yesterday but they finished off their season on a high with their promotion to senior league football after the disappointment of losing the Leinster IFC last week. If you ever get to see them, have a look for their full forward, he's an eastern European chap Polish or Latvian I think, but I can honestly I've never seen a bigger lad play the game, he's is ..kin huge :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I didn't get over to Ballyboughal yesterday but they finished off their season on a high with their promotion to senior league football after the disappointment of losing the Leinster IFC last week. If you ever get to see them, have a look for their full forward, he's an eastern European chap Polish or Latvian I think, but I can honestly I've never seen a bigger lad play the game, he's is ..kin huge :eek:

Great to see Ballyboughal promoted. Wasn't long ago we played them in Division 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

O'Callaghan just unreal, the most talented player in the country, probably.
    Footballer maybe. I don't know. Hurler no. He has to play inter county at a serious level before a claim like that can stand up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

citykat wrote: »
    Footballer maybe. I don't know. Hurler no. He has to play inter county at a serious level before a claim like that can stand up.

He would make any county team, whatever about being the best in the country. not two many 20 year old full forwards are double and even treble teamed!

I doubt we'll see him hurl for Dublin unfortunately. He is part of third wave since 2011, and while footballers run will end they will be competitive for a while longer, and he has another ten years in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Bonniedog wrote: »
    He would make any county team, whatever about being the best in the country. not two many 20 year old full forwards are double and even treble teamed!

I doubt we'll see him hurl for Dublin unfortunately. He is part of third wave since 2011, and while footballers run will end they will be competitive for a while longer, and he has another ten years in him.

I would agree with Citykat. Until we see him at inter county level its hard to be sure that he would have the same impact. Will we ever know how good a hurler he really is.

Davys Fits wrote: »
    I would agree with Citykat. Until we see him at inter county level its hard to be sure that he would have the same impact. Will we ever know how good a hurler he really is.

Well you could argue that some of Canning's best performance were with Portumna, likewise Liam Watson. All Ireland club is serious competition and standing out in it, as Callaghan has done last two years, is sign of a serious player.

If he ever does hurl for Dublin it will be like Keaney in his late 20s. It is ironic that when Dublin won minor and 21s Leinster two years ago, hurling people here were getting excited about fact that there were almost no dual players. Now, the same pattern is just repeating itself. Can't blame them, but it is handicap that hurlers are unlikely ever to overcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bonniedog wrote:
    Well you could argue that some of Canning's best performance were with Portumna, likewise Liam Watson. All Ireland club is serious competition and standing out in it, as Callaghan has done last two years, is sign of a serious player.

It's possible the user was referring to Cons GAA skills, combined rather than being one of the best at either, possibly a combination of the two. Ultimately with C Clifford around it would be difficult to call him the best young player at either code.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Stoner got it. He's an intelligent young lad, I've always said it!

Who else can play at that level, in both codes, in the Country right now?

Yeah could query how he'd fare at IC for the hurlers, which you'd be intitled to, but if you're being honest with yourself, going by what's in front of your eyes, the answer it's pretty obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭donnem33

Stoner got it. He's an intelligent young lad, I've always said it!

Who else can play at that level, in both codes, in the Country right now?

Yeah could query how he'd fare at IC for the hurlers, which you'd be intitled to, but if you're being honest with yourself, going by what's in front of your eyes, the answer it's pretty obvious.
    Possibly, but evidence suggests if he was playing both hurling and football at IC level at the same time, chances are high that his performances in both codes would suffer.  Especially with the new format for the Leinster hurling championship and the super 8's in football - I don't think it could be done playing week in week out without a break.
    Just look at Eoin Cadogan, Aidan Walsh (both Cork) and Alan Kerins from Galway.  It was only when they decided to concentrate on one code they excelled again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

From what I understand the lad is (or was) a better hurler than footballer, would he operate at IC level in hurling to the same degree he does in the big ball? I think so, would love to see him give it a go anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Patww79 wrote: »

It really is a shame we'll never know.[/quote]
    It is because it would nail once and for all some of the bollocks that's grown up around him. People are getting carried away on media hype based on a few club matches. To think that Callaghan is considered superior to the likes of Reid, Canning, Callanan, to name but a few, is laughable. The abovementioned are purists, dedicated to their sport and hurling at the highest level for years. To some though they're inferior to a part time hurler, a lad who dabbles in the sport in the football off-season. Give me a break ffs. To give him his due, Callaghan is a very effective club hurler and thrives in the space that Cuala create. His speed and strength confer on him a particular advantage in that space. He looks impressive bearing down on goal. He is though a one trick pony. That's not his fault. He just doesn't hurl enough.

You wouldn't be an O'Loughlin Citykat perchance :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

citykat wrote: »
    It is because it would nail once and for all some of the bollocks that's grown up around him. People are getting carried away on media hype based on a few club matches. To think that Callaghan is considered superior to the likes of Reid, Canning, Callanan, to name but a few, is laughable. The abovementioned are purists, dedicated to their sport and hurling at the highest level for years. To some though they're inferior to a part time hurler, a lad who dabbles in the sport in the football off-season. Give me a break ffs. To give him his due, Callaghan is a very effective club hurler and thrives in the space that Cuala create. His speed and strength confer on him a particular advantage in that space. He looks impressive bearing down on goal. He is though a one trick pony. That's not his fault. He just doesn't hurl enough.

I think hes more than a one trick pony tbf. But others comparing him with other IC players when he hasnt competed at that level is ridiculous. Likewise when we hear about rugby players like Tomas O Leary who apparently would be a 'certain' starter on the Cork team had he not chose rugby over hurling. Ive seen many fantastic club hurlers looking a shade of themselves when trialed at IC level. But of course that doesnt mean Con would be the same.?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Do you know who's compared him to Canning etc, I haven't heard that.

On Dublin hurling the talk would centre around him being one of the best available to the squad but not playing, some would say better than some playing.

Stretching that to outside the country is ridiculous alright

You'd get hurling people frustrated with him not playing for the county.

I'm sure such talk would play on a young man's mind come decision time. It would be countered with similar from the footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

The O'Byrne Cup team is going to be experimental and managed by Paul Clarke again this year. Jim and the lads are off to South Africa for a holiday.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Kavrocks wrote: »
    The O'Byrne Cup team is going to be experimental and managed by Paul Clarke again this year. Jim and the lads are off to South Africa for a holiday.

No surprise, seeing as it worked so well last year.

• Advertisement

Dying to see who will be this year's Niall Scully. Talk about going from 0-60 in 2.4 nano seconds. I'd say even his head was spinning at the speed of his progress thru the ranks.

Hope our C team gets to put manners on Kildare again in the final. We don't want them getting notions, now that they are breathing the rarified air of Div 1 again. I've given up even bothering to care what Meath are up to. Which is sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Dying to see who will be this year's Niall Scully. Talk about going from 0-60 in 2.4 nano seconds. I'd say even his head was spinning at the speed of his progress thru the ranks.

Hope our C team gets to put manners on Kildare again in the final. We don't want them getting notions, now that they are breathing the rarified air of Div 1 again. I've given up even bothering to care what Meath are up to. Which is sad really.

For me, Kildare are the team most likely to beat us in the Championship. An up-and-coming team with a number of players who have played professional sport, big, strong and fast, able to compete and will meet us early in the summer.

They mightn't prevent us winning an All-Ireland through the back door, but they are the ones who worry me most.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

blanch152 wrote: »
    For me, Kildare are the team most likely to beat us in the Championship. An up-and-coming team with a number of players who have played professional sport, big, strong and fast, able to compete and will meet us early in the summer.

They mightn't prevent us winning an All-Ireland through the back door, but they are the ones who worry me most.

For that to happen the Dublin team will have had to have gone down a few notches in thier overall level, aging team, staying too loyal to the same players (like what happened the Kerry 80's team)

And Kildare would have to go up a few notches and get more variation in thier play it does not have to be all-out attack or all out-defence.
    Kildare's div 2 final v Galway was great as both teams stuck to a rigid cautious system.
    But in 2015/2017 Kildare tried to put it up to Dublin a bit in the leinster finals.
    They need to get the right mix.
    A mixture between the two when the time is right is the correct way to play in my opinion.
    I never understand why teams play either pure defensive or pure attacking.
    Is there no decent tactical flexibility in the GAA bar Dublin, thier copycats Kerry?
    Mayo's idea of it is to put one of the best midifielder's in the country at full back and change thier goalkeeper for...eh kickouts

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

We are definitely gonna get bate, sooner rather than later, but it ain't gonna be by a team that haven't been able to make it out of the qualifiers in recent years imo. Kildare would want to front up in a lot of other areas, before they'll be accorded the "most likely" status.

Do they have a better chance of beating us than a Wicklow or Offaly? Sure they do. They are one of the better teams in Leinster. That doesn't equate to their being able to beat the Dublin's, Mayos, Kerry's etc etc.

The introduction of the Super 8's and the away games adds a bit more of competitive edge to the mix, but if anyone is gonna beat us, it'll be one of the other top teams imo. Kildare have a long way to go yet, before they can be considered a top team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Dying to see who will be this year's Niall Scully.

Shane Howard. Our next Dermo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jaden wrote: »
    Shane Howard. Our next Dermo.

I was thinking of Brian Howard that plays for Raheny,

Jayus if the two Howard's end up playing this time next Christmas

(to the tune of - Twelve days of Christmas)

"Two David Byrne's, two Shane Carthy's, two young Howard's and still only one Dermo"

:D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I was thinking of Brian Howard that plays for Raheny,

Jayus if the two Howard's end up playing this time next Christmas

(to the tune of - Twelve days of Christmas)

"Two David Byrne's, two Shane Carthy's, two young Howard's and still only one Dermo"

:D

That deserves a lengthy ban.

Do we not have three David Byrnes in our current posse? The goalkeeping coach/former BK player is David Byrne also. Like, two weren't enough. God help the poor kitman doing the laundry, getting the various bits and bobs back to their owners.:D

I'm gonna post sumfink very big in a sec.....

(No jokes about anyones Ma now, mind. ;) )

• Advertisement

Deadly pic.

DQyvSCzX4AE5ehj.jpg

I expect Dick Clerkin will write an article soon about how disgraceful it was for Flynner to disrespect the El Presidente, by heading off on his honeymoon, instead of to the Aras. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement