Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Great read from John Costello;

http://www.offtheball.com/John-Costello-uses-annual-report-to-hit-out-at-Dublins-critics

Gives Kimage, sorry Mr Flip Flop, both barrels. Had a good chuckle reading it to be honest. Fair play to John for calling out some of the nonsense leveled at the team and manager this year.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

When you take a back seat and look at some of the crap that's directed at the team and management, you just have to laugh don't ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Fair play to the Isles man. Take no nonsense. Kimmage, who I used to like, is one trick pony. Trying desperately to find another big beast to bring down by insinuated scandal. He's messing with the wrong boys!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Slattsy wrote: »
    When you take a back seat and look at some of the crap that's directed at the team and management, you just have to laugh don't ya.

And that is exactly JC's attitude too imo.

Fair play to him. I love his sense of humour. (The bit about the extra GPS made me howl.) He takes his job and Dublin GAA very, very seriously. But he doesn't take himself seriously at all. He makes the aul lad brigade that populate most county boards, look like a bunch of stuffed shirts. We are truly, truly blessed to have him at the helm.

And that's not even mentioning having a son, who won us an All Ireland all on his ownio.

All Hail The Costello's !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

Laughable stuff from Costello. Talk about having a persecution complex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

image.jpg

lukin wrote: »

You spelled laudable wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Anyone with an hour to spare can have a listen to DC having a yap with Barry from Hill16 Army

image.jpg

The liars in this instance being Kimmage and others with their absurd claims. Costello put them back in their box.

Kimmage has run out of mileage on cycling and other sports, so decided he would have a go off the Dubs. Well, he chose the wrong target I would suggest.

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    The liars in this instance being Kimmage and others with their absurd claims. Costello put them back in their box.

Kimmage has run out of mileage on cycling and other sports, so decided he would have a go off the Dubs. Well, he chose the wrong target I would suggest.

Ah the poor lickle dubs.Will people ever just leave them alone?

Dublin put same amount of players on the pitch as everyone else. No home delivered meals, no drugs, no brown envelopes :-) Kimmage knows about as much about the Dublin football team as I do about Lacrosse. Costello tore him a new one. Doubt we'll be hearing any more from that quarter....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Patww79 wrote: »

As per usual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Hi Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

No drugs or brown envelopes fine, but they do have meals delivered and are told what times to have them.

Some players have said so publicly. Off the top of my head Paul Flynn definitely has said it.

Gourmet Food Parlour in Swords prepare the food. Was at a party at the weekend catered by them- savage food altogether.

As for the report... Just like Donald Trump, Costello knows his audience. Last year I thought he was a fool, this year it's clear that it's all an exercise in stoking the Dubs vs the rest of Ireland mentality.

Edit: GFP did it in 2016. They might have moved to Philly's company since (or stopped it altogether). But I see no reason for them to stop it. It makes plenty of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Anyone with an hour to spare can have a listen to DC having a yap with Barry from Hill16 Army

Turned it off after 5 minutes. Can't stand listening to that fella (Barry not Dermo).

I'd like to hear Connolly do the Whelan in the years podcast some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Turned it off after 5 minutes. Can't stand listening to that fella (Barry not Dermo).

I'd like to hear Connolly do the Whelan in the years podcast some day.

Ah yeah agreed, the 1st 5 - 10 mins is very stilted but they do find a rhythm as it goes on and there's a natural bounce to some of the conversation - it's just interesting to hear DC talk naturally about the game rather than the cliche strewn stuff that you generally hear in most player interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

DDC1990 wrote: »
    No drugs or brown envelopes fine, but they do have meals delivered and are told what times to have them.

Some players have said so publicly. Off the top of my head Paul Flynn definitely has said it.

Gourmet Food Parlour in Swords prepare the food. Was at a party at the weekend catered by them- savage food altogether.

As for the report... Just like Donald Trump, Costello knows his audience. Last year I thought he was a fool, this year it's clear that it's all an exercise in stoking the Dubs vs the rest of Ireland mentality.

Edit: GFP did it in 2016. They might have moved to Philly's company since (or stopped it altogether). But I see no reason for them to stop it. It makes plenty of sense.

Ok so, find me the Paul Flynn interview where he said that every single player on the Dublin squad has 3 square meals a day delivered to their front door. Shouldn't take you long to find, if he actually ever said it.

Every Dublin player mind, not just Flynner getting the odd freebie in their Swords restaurant, coz he snaps a picture of him & the missus having their dinner & throws it up on Instagram.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Ok so, find me the Paul Flynn interview where he said that every single player on the Dublin squad has 3 square meals a day delivered to their front door. Shouldn't take you long to find, if he actually ever said it.

Every Dublin player mind, not just Flynner getting the odd freebie in their Swords restaurant, coz he snaps a picture of him & the missus having their dinner & throws it up on Instagram.

a very quick google shows this:

https://gourmetfoodparlour.com/sports-catering/
    Paul Flynn, Dublin Senior Footballer ‘The nutritious refuel meals that they serve us are so vital for our training & match days and work incredibly well in conjunction with our training schedules & food plans’

note the "us"and "our" in his statement.

https://www.independent.ie/style/beauty/body/what-i-eat-in-a-day-dublin-gaa-star-paul-flynn-34947451.html
    they feed the Dublin GAA team and know what I should be eating!

I dont know why fans and the likes of Costelloe get so worked up over these "accusations" when they are most likely true in some shape or form. It's no secret that Dublin GAA has a crap load more money than anyone else, so if they spend it on feeding their players good food, then why is everyone so defensive of it? Yeah it is perceived as another advantage for Dublin, but at this stage, so what? Dublin fans are the whole time going on about all they've won and how everyone is jealous of them, yet any time a very minor slight is put to them they come out all guns blazing. I just find it strange to be honest.

• Advertisement

All teams feed their players during training and match days, that's not a Dublin thing.

The point Costello rightly refuted is that Dublin players get all their meals handed to them. I have yet to see or hear anything to contradict what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

bruschi wrote: »
    a very quick google shows this:

https://gourmetfoodparlour.com/sports-catering/

note the "us"and "our" in his statement.

https://www.independent.ie/style/beauty/body/what-i-eat-in-a-day-dublin-gaa-star-paul-flynn-34947451.html

I dont know why fans and the likes of Costelloe get so worked up over these "accusations" when they are most likely true in some shape or form. It's no secret that Dublin GAA has a crap load more money than anyone else, so if they spend it on feeding their players good food, then why is everyone so defensive of it? Yeah it is perceived as another advantage for Dublin, but at this stage, so what? Dublin fans are the whole time going on about all they've won and how everyone is jealous of them, yet any time a very minor slight is put to them they come out all guns blazing. I just find it strange to be honest.

So the Dublin players get a meal after evening training and after a match. Is this unusual among county teams?

County teams have been getting meals after training and before matches for decades. Cork hurlers used to get free meals in Barrys as long ago as the 1950s. Don't think they delivered Christy's black pudding every morning whne he was home :-)

Nor do Dublin players have their breakfast, dinner and tea served to them at home every day, which is what your man was claiming.

Costello could not have been more up front about what he said:

"Our senior teams have meals delivered to their homes on a daily basis or ever in fact. UNTRUE."

So either he or someone else is telling lies. Plenty of people who could call him out on this one if Costello is not telling the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Bonniedog wrote: »

Nor do Dublin players have their breakfast, dinner and tea served to them at home every day, which is what your man was claiming.

Sure there's no way a good Dublin mammy is going to put up with that nonsense..............some sham coming in on her patch and feeding Dermo, Flynner etc. loads of fancy muck.

Some people either live in a fantasy world or else they've never had a run in with the Dub mammy. I'd rather take on Conor Mcgregor in a gangsters pub than the mammy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I was given oranges at half time and on occasion, Jaffa Cakes!!

There is story about Rodney Marsh who used to play for QPR and Manchester City. He was bit of a bon vivant and only ever got one chance to play for England when Ramsey picked him for a friendly. He was so hungover and bad that when he was close to dug out, Ramsey said to him "I'm going to pull you off at half time Rodney."

To which the reply was "Thanks Sir Alf, at City we only get an orange and a cup of tea."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

To be honest I haven't read the Kimmage article that refers to the meals. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner is obviously total bollox.

They (a number a players- no idea how many and to be honest as Bruschi says, It's not a big deal) get Lunches and sometimes dinners with the appropriate levels of vitamins and nutrients in them for the training/matches they have on, made for them. Sometimes they are delivered in the evening with the following couple of days planned out. On very rare occasions a lunch is delivered to a place of work for that specific day, but there isn't 30 lads from Deliveroo waiting for Jim Gavin to instruct them where the lads are and that they have 10 minutes and 28 seconds to deliver the food or they will be fired.

Now this is from a player who I don't know personally and from last year, so he may have been taking the piss out of the Kerry man for the craic. It seems plausible and not over the top to be honest.

It seems like a weird thing to beat the Dubs over the head with though. You win because you have a good nutritionist and feed your players well?

Enough to have a go at ye with the home advantage and the €250,000 per player extra funding ye get :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

DDC1990 wrote: »
    To be honest I haven't read the Kimmage article that refers to the meals. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner is obviously total bollox.

They (a number a players- no idea how many and to be honest as Bruschi says, It's not a big deal) get Lunches and sometimes dinners with the appropriate levels of vitamins and nutrients in them for the training/matches they have on, made for them. Sometimes they are delivered in the evening with the following couple of days planned out. On very rare occasions a lunch is delivered to a place of work for that specific day, but there isn't 30 lads from Deliveroo waiting for Jim Gavin to instruct them where the lads are and that they have 10 minutes and 28 seconds to deliver the food or they will be fired.

Now this is from a player who I don't know personally and from last year, so he may have been taking the piss out of the Kerry man for the craic. It seems plausible and not over the top to be honest.

It seems like a weird thing to beat the Dubs over the head with though. You win because you have a good nutritionist and feed your players well?

Enough to have a go at ye with the home advantage and the €250,000 per player extra funding ye get :D

So somebody somewhere told you something that may be true or may be an urban myth. As opposed to Costello's straight-up that it just doesn't happen.

Think I will stick with Costello's version.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

High praise from Tommy. Shame we can't make himself and Connolly transfer to the hurlers next summer. Imagine the optimism around the place, Sutcliffe and Kelly back, the Cork lad gone......

• Advertisement

That will be controversial!

He is brilliant player but you would have to say that one of the Galway or Waterford lads be more obvious choice given the year they had against better players mostly than Con has hurled against.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement