Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

Billy Mays wrote:
    Turned it off after 5 minutes. Can't stand listening to that fella (Barry not Dermo).

He's a cock in all fairness. The whole Facebook preaching things is laughable. A fan with little or no knowledge of the game

Nice to see the media have picked up on ways to twist some of the stories

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

blanch152 wrote: »
    So the Dublin players get a meal after evening training and after a match. Is this unusual among county teams?

Of course its not.

During all the Holmes and Connelly heave drama, one of the accusations leveled at them, was that they didn't stand up to the Mayo Co Board, when the blazers cut ties with the hotel that used to provide the training meals. They went with a cheaper, inferior quality option. The players were not one bit impressed and that was one of the many reasons for the heave against management. I have no idea if that is utter b0ll0cks or not, but it was posted in the Mayo thread at the time. True or not, not a single person queried the Mayo team getting their training meals laid on for them. But of course when it's Dublin, it has to be this this big thing, blown out of all proportion.

The Mayo Co Board released their 2017 expenditure report last week. They spent over 150,000 on meals/food/nutriton last year. What do people think they spent that on exactly...oranges at half time, lollipops for Lee Keegan if he manages not to pick up a black card, hot dogs at the Kinnegad Applegreen on the way home from Croker? Yeah, I didn't think so either. :rolleyes:

The GFP have been a corporate partner of the DCB for years. It is no secret they do the training grub for us. I've often seen their blue catering van parked up at St Clares, when the hurlers are training at DCU. That is hardly the same thing as laying on all their meals 7 days a week. But sure paper never refuses ink !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Patww79 wrote: »

I'll be honest, I think both of them have twatish tendencies.

• Advertisement

His obsession with all things Dublin is kinda weird. I mean, I know the AI champs attract a certain amount of attention. As do all the top teams. But he rabbits on more about us, than all the other top counties combined. Get a life Colm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I don't think Wooly would thank anyone here for exploring his love affair with Parnells. Totally motivated by nothing other than a desire to play in the historic black and green of Coolock :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I like his show, but I don't like him. They do have good GAA coverage, it's mostly lighthearted and good craic.

When he says he has nothing against Dublin, it's like the stereotype of the taxi driver saying "I'm not racist but..."
    He's obsessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I don't think Wooly would thank anyone here for exploring his love affair with Parnells. Totally motivated by nothing other than a desire to play in the historic black and green of Coolock :-)

Oh, he was happy enough to take the Jackeen's schilling when it suits him. Of course, that can never be mentioned, neither can the fact that we can't seem to get him outta the Pale since then. For someone with such a dislike of the Dubs, he does spend a lot of time around them and talking about them.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

JRant wrote: »
    Oh, he was happy enough to take the Jackeen's schilling when it suits him. Of course, that can never be mentioned, neither can the fact that we can't seem to get him outta the Pale since then. For someone with such a dislike of the Dubs, he does spend a lot of time around them and talking about them.

I think the problem is Wooly secretly wishes he WAS a dub.
    Swanning around Portlaoise with a mop of hair just isn't the same as the real bright city lights.
    He has said on many occasion that he would have loved to have played for the Dubs with the hill chanting his name.

I actually don't think he is anti-Dublin he just likes stirring the pot.
    He is a less educated and less annoying 'Joe Brolly light'.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Greatest goalkeeper of all time preferred to play junior than with the runners in like wooly. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I think the problem is Wooly secretly wishes he WAS a dub.
    Swanning around Portlaoise with a mop of hair just isn't the same as the real bright city lights.
    He has said on many occasion that he would have loved to have played for the Dubs with the hill chanting his name.

I actually don't think he is anti-Dublin he just likes stirring the pot.
    He is a less educated and less annoying 'Joe Brolly light'.

Wooly twigged a few years ago that the secret to him having a journo career was being controversial - the fallout from calling Micko a spoofer set him on a track that's been quite successful.

You'd think with all the colleges he's attended that he'd be a lot more educated, but they were just a means to an end to play sigerson, and gives me the impression that he hadn't a scooby where his professional future lay until the light shine bright on journalism.

Personally I think that Wooly is just a WUM, I don't believe he has a bitterness to his Dublin rants, and is entertaining on radio and Twitter, I put it to you this way he's a whole different animal to Ewan McKenna

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Wooly twigged a few years ago that the secret to him having a journo career was being controversial - the fallout from calling Micko a spoofer set him on a track that's been quite successful.

You'd think with all the colleges he's attended that he'd be a lot more educated, but they were just a means to an end to play sigerson, and gives me the impression that he hadn't a scooby where his professional future lay until the light shine bright on journalism.

Personally I think that Wooly is just a WUM, I don't believe he has a bitterness to his Dublin rants, and is entertaining on radio and Twitter, I put it to you this way he's a whole different animal to Ewan McKenna

Not a whole lot to argue with there.

I think he is more savvy on how modern day journalism works, or maybe more savvy of how the click bait generation consume their news. Hence his success.

For all the bleating that people do about the 1.2 million Dubs (every single one of them a GAA member obvs) or "The Dublin Media"(completely ignoring the fact that very few Newstalk, RTE, Sindo etc etc contributors are actually from Dublin, are pro Dublin in their commentary) there are still 3 or 4 million odd from outside The Pale. They have to be catered to as well, with all their whims and prejudices & there are a lot more of them, than there are of us. They lap up his more easy going style of punditry with a spoon, because they don't feel they are being lectured too, the way you can with the more old school Brolly, Spillane etc etc.

That being said, his podcast is excellent over all imo. Whatever you think about all the constant harping on about us, that they do in the first 20 minutes, the indepth match analysis afterwards is often very, very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Not a whole lot to argue with there.

I think he is more savvy on how modern day journalism works, or maybe more savvy of how the click bait generation consume their news. Hence his success.

For all the bleating that people do about the 1.2 million Dubs (every single one of them a GAA member obvs) or "The Dublin Media"(completely ignoring the fact that very few Newstalk, RTE, Sindo etc etc contributors are actually from Dublin, are pro Dublin in their commentary) there are still 3 or 4 million odd from outside The Pale. They have to be catered to as well, with all their whims and prejudices & there are a lot more of them, than there are of us. They lap up his more easy going style of punditry with a spoon, because they don't feel they are being lectured too, the way you can with the more old school Brolly, Spillane etc etc.

That being said, his podcast is excellent over all imo. Whatever you think about all the constant harping on about us, that they do in the first 20 minutes, the indepth match analysis afterwards is often very, very good.

He is generally good but did you listen to his all Ireland podcasts? As a gimmick (Thats all you could Call it) he wanted to talk about Dublin without discussing subs. I understand he was thinking “sure it’s been played to death “ but it’s an imperative strategy to Dublin that just can’t be ignored because it’s a tiresome topic.

It was clear he was also always looking to downplay any positives about Dublin. It always felt like there was a “But!” After anything positive said about Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Drumpot wrote: »
    He is generally good but did you listen to his all Ireland podcasts? As a gimmick (Thats all you could Call it) he wanted to talk about Dublin without discussing subs. I understand he was thinking “sure it’s been played to death “ but it’s an imperative strategy to Dublin that just can’t be ignored because it’s a tiresome topic.

It was clear he was also always looking to downplay any positives about Dublin. It always felt like there was a “But!” After anything positive said about Dublin.

That episode made me chuckle. Almost seemed like the more Mayo struggled to beat D2 teams the better their chances 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Drumpot wrote:
    It was clear he was also always looking to downplay any positives about Dublin. It always felt like there was a “But!†After anything positive said about Dublin.

TBH I miss the old off the ball format, there's more choice now but I think the old crew on for 3 hours was great.

Anybody see the transfer list? Heard St ledger leaving syls is the only biggish one, anyone hear any more?

Anybody see the transfer list? Heard St ledger leaving syls is the only biggish one, anyone hear any more?

Haven't heard of anyone significant myself yet - is St Ledger transfer inter club or inter county? I know there were a lot of eyes on him in NCD when he came up from Carlow and he had a few chasing him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Haven't heard of anyone significant myself yet - is St Ledger transfer inter club or inter county? I know there were a lot of eyes on him in NCD when he came up from Carlow and he had a few chasing him

St Ledger transferred to Clann Mhuire.Think he living out that way.

• Advertisement

Gael85 wrote: »
    St Ledger transferred to Clann Mhuire.Think he living out that way.

Yeah he's teaching in Donabate (I think). That's a strange transfer tbh, going from senior 1 league to a club relegated to AFL4 - is there a regrading required to play Inter ?

DoctaDee wrote:
    Yeah he's teaching in Donabate (I think). That's a strange transfer tbh, going from senior 1 league to a club relegated to AFL4 - is there a regrading required to play Inter ?

Don't think he is teaching there anymore, not sure about regrading. Goes out with a girl from the area I know for sure. Sure look, how many games realistically is an Inter-County player going to play for his club the way the season is

Some craic at the RTE Sports personality awards ceremony this weekend.

The horsey crowd took home both the team of the year and manager of the year awards. So 3 in a row is no biggie to the general public (which this vote was alledgadly).
    King Con didn't even get a nomination for an award that went to McClean for being a general headless chicken on a soccer pitch.

Thomas O'Se and Duignan not one bit happy about it.

http://www.punditarena.com/gaa/aaron-ward/tomas-o-se-calls-rte-sports-awards-snubbing-dublin-gaas-achievements/

Ah well, the lads will have to make do with their Celtic Crosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Im a big horse racing fan, and tbf Aidan O'Brien beating the World record for Group 1 wins in a season was a massive achievement.

The Mclean one (whom i like as a player) was odd, the Showjumpers (who the **** watches and voted for that) and Con not getting a nomination were strange however.

JRant wrote: »
    Some craic at the RTE Sports personality awards ceremony this weekend.

The horsey crowd took home both the team of the year and manager of the year awards. So 3 in a row is no biggie to the general public (which this vote was alledgadly).
    King Con didn't even get a nomination for an award that went to McClean for being a general headless chicken on a soccer pitch.

Thomas O'Se and Duignan not one bit happy about it.

http://www.punditarena.com/gaa/aaron-ward/tomas-o-se-calls-rte-sports-awards-snubbing-dublin-gaas-achievements/

Ah well, the lads will have to make do with their Celtic Crosses.

The poor wee crathurs !

In Con's case, I doubt if he even knows how many Celtic Crosses he has at this stage. I don't mind admitting, I haven't an iota either. I only did Pass Maths in the Leaving. :P

Still. Nice problem to have 'innit ?

Slattsy wrote: »
    Im a big horse racing fan, and tbf Aidan O'Brien beating the World record for Group 1 wins in a season was a massive achievement.

The Mclean one (whom i like as a player) was odd, the Showjumpers (who the **** watches and voted for that) and Con not getting a nomination were strange however.

I know as much about horse racing as a Kilkenny man would about football :)
    Still not sure how he would qualify for manager of the year though or am I missing something?

The showjumpers winning is just downright bizarre. Who in the name of jaysus voted for them. I'd say Cian O'Connor was parked in front of the phone hopping the voting line out of it.

I can't understand why Con wasn't even nominated but such is the wacky world of RTE.

International recognition is a huge factor in these awards though. The GAA doesn't have that.

Looks as though Nathan Mullins is nailing his colours to the Donegal mast - was involved in a challenge game against Ros over the weekend maybe he still hasn't recovered from the tap Jamesie Mc gave him in the county final :D. Anyways best of luck to the young lad should be a good addition to the set up

• Advertisement

DoctaDee wrote:
    Looks as though Nathan Mullins is nailing his colours to the Donegal mast - was involved in a challenge game against Ros over the weekend maybe he still hasn't recovered from the tap Jamesie Mc gave him in the county final . Anyways best of luck to the young lad should be a good addition to the set up

Yeah it was a funny one. Only moved to midfield and his best season ever.

With bastic gone I thought he'd make the panel.

A lot of the media only mentioned he played U21 for Dublin, but he played. U21 for Donegal too.

He should play for whomever he wants but I hope he doesn't think he wouldn't get his game for Dublin, because he might, Dublin played their best center back at midfield last year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement