Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Is Howard not gone to SA on the team holiday ?

It appears that Howard has not gone on a merry jaunt.
    The panel shows lots of changes from the 2017 O'Byrne Cup panel that won the tournament, however, it does includes the likes of Ross McGowan, Emmett O Conghaile, Colm Basquel, Killian O'Gara, Eoin O'Brien, Ryan Deegan, Niall Walsh and Brian Howard who featured during last January's tournament.

Full panel:
    1. Andy Bunyan (Scoil Uí Chonaill)
    2. Ross McGowan (Kilmacud Crokes)
    3. Graham Hannigan (Castleknock)
    4. Brian Howard (Raheny)
    5. David Devereux (Ballinteer St John's)
    6. Seán McMahon (Raheny)
    7. Gerry Seaver (Ballyboughal)
    8. Emmet Ó Conghaile (Lucan Sarsfields)
    9. Aaron Elliot (Ballymun Kickhams)
    10. Kieran Doherty (St Jude's)
    11. Colm Basquel (Ballyboden St Enda's)
    12. Glenn O'Reilly (Na Fianna)
    13. Killian O'Gara (Templeogue Synge Street)
    14. Shane Carthy (Naomh Mearnóg)
    15. Chris Sallier (Thomas Davis)
    16. John Brian Carthy (St Jude's)
    17. Craig Wilson (St Vincent's)
    18. Colin Doyle (Naomh Olaf)
    19. Darragh Kennedy (Na Fianna)
    20. Eoin O'Brien (Castleknock)
    21. Tom Quinn (Castleknock)
    22. Ryan Deegan (Thomas Davis)
    23. Seamus Ryan (St Jude's)
    24. Kevin Callaghan (St Brigid's)
    25. Adam Rodgers (Ballyboughal)
    26. Chris Carthy (Naomh Maur)
    27. Niall Walsh (St Oliver Plunkett's/ER)

Taken from Dublin GAA here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bonniedog wrote: »
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    I'd be having words with her Maths teacher first. We've only been beaten* once in the past 6 years. ;)

* in the champo.

Donegal in 2014, Longford in O'Byrne and the princes, damn their souls, in the league final. I assure her that karma dictates that she too will endure later years of utter darkness. that's how you become happy!

Oh sorry. I thunk you were talking about games that actually matter.

If we're talking ALL games played, then you may as well include les Langers et les Animaux in the 2015 league.

You could also include me & Auntie Nuala in a Giant Jenga death match on Stephens Day. But as she was out of her tree from the 27 bottles of Tio Pepe that went into her sherry trifle, I don't think the result should really count.

Team v Offaly named.

A certain one of our own may need a moment to compose himself, when he sees this....

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/948328223003369472

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Right lads, I'm moving back to Ireland in a week or so, and I'll be living about 10 minutes walk from Parnell Park, so what are my best options for going to the games there? I know next to nothing about Parnell Park, tickets, etc, but I want to be more than a "summer supporter", and I'd prefer to use some of your knowledge than miss out only because I didn't know something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

That's an odd looking team. Wouldn't be familiar with them all from club games, but some of them playing well out of their comfort zone. Has Howard played corner back for Raheny? If there's one position he is not going to get its Mick Fitzsimons's!

Cat, only county games in Parnell will be one or two hurling league. Too late to get a pass or a season ticket unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Ah me head is melted trying to make sense of that 15, it's just a jumble of names on a page - and no Aaron Byrne ? Strange one that, coz I remember Clarkie looking forward to having him in OBC panel .. maybe he's playing Sigerson and is being rested?

I'd expect the team if its not bogey to line out nearer:
    Bunyan

McGowan
    McMahon
    Hannigan

Devereux
    Howard
    Seaver

O'Conghaile
    Elliott

Doherty
    Carthy
    O'Reilly

Basquel
    O'Gara
    Sallier

@CIAB

Welcome home brother, make sure you lose that foreign accent before you settle with the good people on the Northside!

Truth be told as far as supporting Dublin, if there's a centra or SuperValu near you you'll be sorted for tickets for other than AI final. If you're nearer town the ticket office in Dorset Street is also an option. The season tickets are sold out and the Parnell Pass renewals come up in May and will most likely sell out too, there's no harm in getting your bearings the first year back - see if you want to get involved at club level etc

The spring series tickets for the league will be on sale soon, and you can buy them in one go for each of the home games in Croker - it's a labour of love and the coldest place on earth .. have a look at Shackleton's expedition to Antarctica and dress appropriately ;)

*Afterthought* You can also get tickets online at tickets.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

CatInABox wrote:
    Right lads, I'm moving back to Ireland in a week or so, and I'll be living about 10 minutes walk from Parnell Park, so what are my best options for going to the games there? I know next to nothing about Parnell Park, tickets, etc, but I want to be more than a "summer supporter", and I'd prefer to use some of your knowledge than miss out only because I didn't know something.

Welcome home. Friend of mine came back a few years ago and has hardly missed a game since, and was more of a championship supporter beforehand. Nothing like being away for a while to make you aware of what you are missing.

As above on the options you haven't a hope of getting a season ticket unfortunately.

Which Devereux is that ?
    And Paddy Small must still be injured?

Stoner wrote: »
    Which Devereux is that ?
    And Paddy Small must still be injured?

Yeah Stoner it's da brudder David

Paddy must still be injured .. he was half crocked for the county final

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Yeah Stoner it's da brudder David

Is he fast as **** like his brother? Thats what we wanna know.;)

Can't make it tonight. I must say i know the team holiday forces these selections but i quite like the idea of giving lads on the fringes a chance to prove themselves.

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    Is he fast as **** like his brother? Thats what we wanna know.;)

Can't make it tonight. I must say i know the team holiday forces these selections but i quite like the idea of giving lads on the fringes a chance to prove themselves.

I cant say a know an awful lot about him Corny, he was pointed out to me a few years back during a league match - Nicky was in at FB and he was CHB, I can vaguely remember him being a strong ball carrier - he's not a young chap probably 25-26 I'd say.

I'd agree that it's a big positive to see the fringe lads get a run, Seavers and Rogers would be of particular interest to me - 2 cracking local footballers who've ploughed a furrow in Inter football, getting a chance to mix in better company.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

DoctaDee wrote:
    I'd agree that it's a big positive to see the fringe lads get a run, Seavers and Rogers would be of particular interest to me - 2 cracking local footballers who've ploughed a furrow in Inter football, getting a chance to mix in better company.

Totally agree, size probably does them no favours but especially seavers should have been there years ago

Totally agree, size probably does them no favours but especially seavers should have been there years ago

Well that was somewhat prophetic Shaun, I thought Seaver was excellent tonight, his range of passing along with Carthy unlocked Offaly a few times, bar the last minute free he should be extremely happy with his performance

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭LooseCannonUF

Well that was somewhat prophetic Shaun, I thought Seaver was excellent tonight, his range of passing along with Carthy unlocked Offaly a few times, bar the last minute free he should be extremely happy with his performance

Could I ask who stood out for Offaly, other than Johnson. I want to see unbiased opinion, whereas sometimes it hard to get it on our supporters form: uibhfhaili.com

Thanks in advance

Did Howard play? Yes, old man dread of bad weather kept me away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Did Howard play? Yes, old man dread of bad weather kept me away!

He did, in the half back line. Think it’s fair to say a draw was a fair result there tonight.

Could I ask who stood out for Offaly, other than Johnson. I want to see unbiased opinion, whereas sometimes it hard to get it on our supporters form: uibhfhaili.com

Thanks in advance

They played very well across the middle 8, lots of good link up play in the HF line Hayes and Sullivan. Very patient in their build up too and Dunne and Nally were well on top of our midfielders until Shane Carthy moved in there. All in all a well deserved draw, Dublin sat deep allowing Offaly playing into the breeze 2nd half to work the ball quite easily upto our 45, which was a l but of a strange tactic, they took some fine scores but will rue a few easy misses too

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭LooseCannonUF

They played very well across the middle 8, lots of good link up play in the HF line Hayes and Sullivan. Very patient in their build up too and Dunne and Nally were well on top of our midfielders until Shane Carthy moved in there. All in all a well deserved draw, Dublin sat deep allowing Offaly playing into the breeze 2nd half to work the ball quite easily upto our 45, which was a l but of a strange tactic, they took some fine scores but will rue a few easy misses too

Thanks, not too bad.

If only we could get all of our best possible panel to commit, with no lads travelling abroad.

EICVD wrote: »
    He did, in the half back line. Think it’s fair to say a draw was a fair result there tonight.

Yeah it was a fair result, O'Gara was a big loss at half time, probably the only forward that got out in front for the outball. Alot of the attacking play got bogged down with needless recycling - the 2 lads in midfield were dominated for much of the game - Shane Carthy covered a lot of the work that those 2 should've been doing

Sullivan , Dempsey and Hayes for me

Sullivan was contender for man of the match Imo

• Advertisement

Thought we'd a good first half.

Young O'Gara was game, picked up a first half Yellow.
    Was subbed at half time but for me the attack lost it's shape without him.

Sallier didn't have his best night, C Carthy who replaced O'Gara was rocky too. Shane Carthy had already moved out the field at that stage.

I didn't realise how well O'Gara was linking up the play until he was gone.

Basquel had a great first half but a quiet second half, the team didn't really know each other and appeared disjointed at times resulting in some selfish play. Basquel may have been guilty here.

That Seamus Ryan lad is huge, got a nice mark.

I was disappointed for Niall Walsh he struggled to make an impact, he's played far better games and is looking stronger this year.

Few of the Dublin subs made an impact.

The draw was between deserved and lucky imo
    Shane Carthy had a good game in the middle. I hope Elliot gets another shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I see the Footballers are off to a flying start in the Hurling anyway :D

We need to beat Wexico by 17 or we're gone? ..

hard to be hyper critical of a team that was cobbled together in the last month, but sitting so deep 2nd half and allowing Offaly to work the ball easily up the field against the breeze was a huge factor in the 2nd half.

There was a sustained period of about 2-3 minutes when we pressed them in the middle 3rd towards the end of the game and you could see them reaching for the panic button, but in reality that probably wasn't sustainable with the last of the Christmas pudding still working it's way out of the system

Bambi wrote: »
    I see the Footballers are off to a flying start in the Hurling anyway :D

No need to be smart now!

Walsh Cup is ridiculously uncompetitive this year so far. Semi finals will be interesting. although have no idea about what way the draw works out. Leinster GAA site is about as illuminating as Old Moore's Almanac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

Just got it confirmed by Leinster GAA today that the Leinster inter-county minor football league in which my own county Clare took part in the last 4 years are not going ahead this year due to the changes to the minor grade from U-18 to U-17. I presume the same scenario applies to the minor hurling leagues also.

So then. The Lesser Spotted Blue and Navy Dubicus Coddleicus is about to start its January migration to the fertile plains of Wexico. Duck bruscetta and pomegranite martinis in Marlefield House, here I come baby !

A 17 pt win....can we do it? Sure hope we can. The homecoming celebrations with only the two trophies in tow, look rather shabby n'est pas?

God, the tension is nearly as exciting as wondering who Mayo will start in goal in an All Ireland final 'wha? :D

Ah how the other half live, I'm so gauche when it comes to away day fine eating. A breakfast roll and bottle of lucazade from the SuperValu on Duffry Gate is the extent of my expectations in Enniscorthy !

It'll be an unlikely 16+ point win and early closure on the OBC imo, disappointing for the lads involved but in reality there's only a handful of fellas that you'd class at inter county standard

DoctaDee wrote:
    It'll be an unlikely 16+ point win and early closure on the OBC imo, disappointing for the lads involved but in reality there's only a handful of fellas that you'd class at inter county standard

I'll be in Parnell park today, there was a road trip planned but I'm going to the hurling game now.

However I agree this is different to last year, there are no guys like Whelan from ballymun or Reddin on the panel, it's missing a bit of experience and possibly toughness.

The squad last year would not have drawn against the other night they would have closed it out, in fact they chased games last year to win them, this squad is a bit flat it was a very poor and flat last 10 minutes, the squad last year finished strongly.

That said Offaly were in decent physical shape for this time of year, only one or two fat Larrys made an appearance.

Some of the members need to be introduced into a team with a few more experienced players. Two or three senior players last week would have made a huge difference.

hurlers got a bit of a tanking the other night against Tipp so hopefully they will have recovered to beat these lot.

Worrying thing about the Tipp game was that they were using sweeper. Now, if there's one thing that ought to have been learned from last two years .....

• Advertisement

Absolutely gorgeous weather down here in the sunny south east. Baltic, but blazing sunshine. If we lose, we certainly can't blame the weather.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement