Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Slattsy wrote: »
    Brady is a clown. Don't think anyone takes him seriously. The Robbie Savage of GAA punditry.

That's an insult to Robbie Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

2) He said that Con O'Callaghan's inexperience will show against Mayo in the AI final 2017 and implied he could be got at (Con scored a goal early on and was pushing for man of the match)

Brady is a bit of a tit but he wasn’t far wrong there. Almost every pundit pre game was saying similar in terms of the match up with O’Callaghan / Boyle.

COC got a fantastic goal at the start but then did find it tough going as the game went on when up against Boyle and Barrett (I think). Certainly nowhere near the running for MOTM on the day with the like of McCarthy, Barrett, Moran giving the level of performance that they gave. Mc Carthy and Barrett in particular- absolutely incredible performances. Different level stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Seriously. Anyone who thinks David Brady spouts anything other than pure, unadulterated bull$hit, needs to go lie down & wait for the moment of madness to pass.

He is comedy gold at All Ireland final time, when Off The Boil trot him out to provide a little comedy relief, amid all the seriousness. Or it's the anniversary of The Mill At The Hill & some deluded Mayo radio producer thinks that winning that, is just as important as winning Sam. (How's that been working out for ye, lads?) Cue yet another DB interview.

Honestly, those red & green painted sheep that appear on Achill every September, have more worthwhile opinions than one D Brady. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Bonniedog wrote: »
    That's no consolation to Brogan in fairness!

Agreed, one of the great players deserves to retire from the game on his own terms, like Cooper, Cavanagh, O'Sé etc. not a horrible injury like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

The best of luck in your recovery Bernard from people that you took time to visit us in our hour of need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

How many DCU players in Fitzgibbon are Dubs? Examiner usually gives a county breakdown but can't get it online.

Recognise most of the county players but there may be some former minors or current 21s on the team as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

How many DCU players in Fitzgibbon are Dubs? Examiner usually gives a county breakdown but can't get it online.

Recognise most of the county players but there may be some former minors or current 21s on the team as well.
    5 starters and 3 subs from last night are from Dublin and 5 in total have played for the senior team. It's on RTÉ.

Thanks for that. Not a bad representation when one considers that DCU is magnet for elite athletes -, including hurlers now it seems - from all parts.

Would be great to see them win it.

PS. I see Bonnar Maher was playing for DIT. Chap must be 30 surely? Thought he was in army.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm in DIT and nearly 34. It can happen. :)

Except the getting onto the Fitzgibbon team part.

I'm in DIT and nearly 34. It can happen. :)

Except the getting onto the Fitzgibbon team part.

Was "mature" student myself - now there's an oxymoron if ever there was one :)

Just curious as to how Maher ended up there. I assume it must be part of his military work.

DIT have some serious players so DCU must be handy.

All college teams have wide range of players from surrounding counties so Dublin's representation on college teams, other than UCD, is respectable enough. Up there with the top counties in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Seriously. Anyone who thinks David Brady spouts anything other than pure, unadulterated bull$hit, needs to go lie down & wait for the moment of madness to pass.

He is comedy gold at All Ireland final time, when Off The Boil trot him out to provide a little comedy relief, amid all the seriousness. Or it's the anniversary of The Mill At The Hill & some deluded Mayo radio producer thinks that winning that, is just as important as winning Sam. (How's that been working out for ye, lads?) Cue yet another DB interview.

Honestly, those red & green painted sheep that appear on Achill every September, have more worthwhile opinions than one D Brady. ;)

“As the man says” Brady is a rubbish pundit.
    He praised the strength of the kerry bench after the kerry and mayo draw last year.
    He said that Kerry’s bench gave them real strength and allowed them to finish better- he then named Darren o sull (played about 10 mins), Sheehan (didn’t get a run) and Tommy Walsh (retired).

I couldn’t get over it to be honest- I reckon that he didn’t even watch the game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Just curious as to how Maher ended up there. I assume it must be part of his military work.

All college teams have wide range of players from surrounding counties so Dublin's representation on college teams, other than UCD, is respectable enough. Up there with the top counties in fact.

Bonnar is on a career break from the army doing business management degree in DIT, seems to have been around for ages but he's only 28

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The doc answered above.

But as an aside there are some courses in DIT, or were, back in the day that the Army sent cadets on. I studied Transport Technology back in 2004 and there were 3 cadets in my class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

“As the man says” Brady is a rubbish pundit.
    He praised the strength of the kerry bench after the kerry and mayo draw last year.
    He said that Kerry’s bench gave them real strength and allowed them to finish better- he then named Darren o sull (played about 10 mins), Sheehan (didn’t get a run) and Tommy Walsh (retired).

I couldn’t get over it to be honest- I reckon that he didn’t even watch the game

I can assure you he did, he was in front of me :P

I can assure you he did, he was in front of me :P

That’s less surprising and more worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Jim Gavin in the wars again with RTE according to indo.ie. No interviews since the league started apart from on Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Jim Gavin in the wars again with RTE according to indo.ie. No interviews since the league started apart from on Eir.

Can't say I blame him. Look at how The Sunday Inquisition got Philly and Dermo heefty bans. All while staying silent on pretty much all their "darlings". They'll rant long and hard about the Dubs or those cynical northern brethren. When it comes to the likes of Cody shoving a linesman, Leeroy throwing his GPS, or saint COC's shameful off the ball antics.

When Spillane was allowed to read out that prepared "statement" on RTE, Jim was never going to back down and he is dead right. Couple that with how the team was portrayed over that kickout at the end of the AI game and I couldn't care less if he never does another interview with them.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

The insulting question asked of him by Joanne Cantwell as the sports awards may be a contributory factor!

The insulting question asked of him by Joanne Cantwell as the sports awards may be a contributory factor!

Ah yes, Joanne "are you considering your position" Cantwell. She must be into double digits for the number of managers she's asked are they going to get sacked/quit straight after a game.

King Con helped UCD to a good win over UU tonight. Into the Sigerson final they go.

• Advertisement

JRant wrote: »
    Ah yes, Joanne "are you considering your position" Cantwell. She must be into double digits for the number of managers she's asked are they going to get sacked/quit straight after a game.

Imagine asking someone who had just managed a team to win three Irelands - and were beaten by dancing horses as team of the year - about his mannerisms.

I sincerely hope they don't turn up next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

This is what I could never stand the sight of Cantwell, total hack

I'm sure there'll be some spin about old boys club, Jim picking on a female journo blah blah

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/comment-jim-gavins-awards-snub-is-based-on-personal-prejudices-trumping-professional-judgement-36407161.html

This is a good summary of where RTE are at with regards Jim.
    I remember Cantwell asking him straight after the AI win should he not be more sympathetic towards Mayo. That's the level of gombeen we are dealing with here.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Are people still carrying on with the idea that it was the Sunday Game who got Connolly banned?

The match was on Sky and the incident was highlighted on their coverage. It was all over social media in minutes and was featured heavily in the Sunday papers reporting on the game. The idea Pat Spillane and The Sunday Game got him banned is pure tinfoil hat crackpottery.

Gavin is free to do whatever he wants when it comes to granting RTE interviews and I've no problem with him choosing to ignore them after that silliness of questioning would he stay on just after they won another All-Ireland. He deserves more respect than he was shown that day.

grbear wrote: »
    Are people still carrying on with the idea that it was the Sunday Game who got Connolly banned?

The match was on Sky and the incident was highlighted on their coverage. It was all over social media in minutes and was featured heavily in the Sunday papers reporting on the game. The idea Pat Spillane and The Sunday Game got him banned is pure tinfoil hat crackpottery.

Gavin is free to do whatever he wants when it comes to granting RTE interviews and I've no problem with him choosing to ignore them after that silliness of questioning would he stay on just after they won another All-Ireland. He deserves more respect than he was shown that day.

They most certainly contributed to the length of ban he received. Sure there was a question around the referee changing his match report after the fact, but that is probably heading into choppy waters. What we do know is that it was a complete hachet job by Spillane and it went completely unapposed.

Also reading this morning that there is a new issue between RTE and ourselves. Something about RTE not releasing DVD footage to the team for analysis. If that's anyway true then the real have scraped the bottom of the barrel.

So it was RTE that got Diarmuid the minimum ban possible for the offence he committed? Swines.

JRant wrote: »
    They most certainly contributed to the length of ban he received. Sure there was a question around the referee changing his match report after the fact, but that is probably heading into choppy waters. What we do know is that it was a complete hachet job by Spillane and it went completely unapposed.

Also reading this morning that there is a new issue between RTE and ourselves. Something about RTE not releasing DVD footage to the team for analysis. If that's anyway true then the real have scraped the bottom of the barrel.

He got the minimum ban

He got the minimum ban

Obviously not, given that Malone from Clare only got a two match ban for his assault on Shane Stapleton the Tipperary selector.

Connolly deserved a ban for touching Brannigan, but it was of a far lower order than Malone. By the way I reckon two game ban is right decision in his case, but of course Clare are appealing it. Would love to hear the defence!

They aren't classed as the same offence so they don't carry the same punishment.

• Advertisement

grbear wrote: »
    They aren't classed as the same offence so they don't carry the same punishment.

Davy Fitz got an eight week ban - and rightly so - for his actions in the league semi final. Malone gets a two match ban - 4 weeks - for assaulting a member of the opposition management.

The category of offences introduced last year do not specifically refer to the team's sideline staff, but I would have assumed that an assault on them - and assault is defined as just placing your hand on an official - would be treated the same as an assault on an official.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement