Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Neither of those incidents make a bit of difference to Connolly's case.

He momentarily lost his cool and did something foolish, and got the minimum punishment possible for his foolish actions.

Based on comments from Gavin later in the summer it's possible that Connolly got have gotten off on a technicality but he instead chose to own the mistake he made and accepted the 12 week ban. If Connolly can accept the punishment I don't see why others keep trying to perpetuate the idea he was a victim of injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

When did I say that? In fact I said that he deserved a ban at the time. Doesn't matter what the provocation was - and it didn't come from Brannigan anyway! - but you can't be interfering physically with officials.

The danger with these incidents, including the Fitz incident and Malone is that it breaks down the distance between the players and what is behind the white line. All that would be necessary for these things to lead to mayhem would be for some lunatics in the crowd to decide "well, if Davy Fitz can run onto the pitch and square up to players, then so can I."

Indeed that has happened at least one inter county club game in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭donnem33

JRant wrote: »
    grbear wrote: »
    Are people still carrying on with the idea that it was the Sunday Game who got Connolly banned?

The match was on Sky and the incident was highlighted on their coverage. It was all over social media in minutes and was featured heavily in the Sunday papers reporting on the game. The idea Pat Spillane and The Sunday Game got him banned is pure tinfoil hat crackpottery.

Gavin is free to do whatever he wants when it comes to granting RTE interviews and I've no problem with him choosing to ignore them after that silliness of questioning would he stay on just after they won another All-Ireland. He deserves more respect than he was shown that day.

They most certainly contributed to the length of ban he received. Sure there was a question around the referee changing his match report after the fact, but that is probably heading into choppy waters. What we do know is that it was a complete hachet job by Spillane and it went completely unapposed.

Also reading this morning that there is a new issue between RTE and ourselves. Something about RTE not releasing DVD footage to the team for analysis. If that's anyway true then the real have scraped the bottom of the barrel.
    My understanding from that article is Dublin wanted footage from league games. RTE only have the rights to show the highlights and not the full game - therefore are not in a position to offer the DVD's to Dublin from a legal perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Blanking RTE for not releasing DVDs is a bit pathetic imo

Can they not just get someone to record the game when it's on tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Obviously not, given that Malone from Clare only got a two match ban for his assault on Shane Stapleton the Tipperary selector.

Connolly deserved a ban for touching Brannigan, but it was of a far lower order than Malone. By the way I reckon two game ban is right decision in his case, but of course Clare are appealing it. Would love to hear the defence!

Totally agree,it's the sheer inconsistency of the punishments that is infuriating irrespective of the categorisation of the offences.

I'd have thought that the Clare player Malone's offence was of a far greater order than Diarmuid Connolly's.

I can't believe they're appealing the two match ban,I'd have thought the Banner's county board would be thanking their lucky stars with the leniency of the ban handed out.

• Advertisement

The disciplinary bodies seem to be ignoring the categories, which include far harsher penalties than are meted out in most instances.

I wouldn't wish for Malone to be out for rest of the league, and that 2 games ban is sufficient. He obviously didn't intend to seriously injure Stapleton but there has to be a penalty for what he did regardless.

I can't believe that CCB are appealing not just the ban but the red card. No doubt it is based on some technicality. Too many loopholes and barrack room lawyers involved in all these cases.

Just on the whole thing of players or sideline getting involved in aggressive actions against one another, it reminds me of club game I played in years ago. One of our fellas assaulted an umpire who was from the other club. Well, a mini riot ensued involving players and spectators. That's what can happen once that white line is breached.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Blanking RTE for not releasing DVDs is a bit pathetic imo

Can they not just get someone to record the game when it's on tv?

Yeah, it all seems a bit "handbags at dawn" to me. Then again, I'm sure that they have to have something, anything, to amuse themselves in the league months.

They could, but I'd presume the footage provided would include stuff that is not aired on TV, like they'd have the full unaltered feed from all the cameras in the grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

seligehgit wrote: »
    Totally agree,it's the sheer inconsistency of the punishments that is infuriating irrespective of the categorisation of the offences.

I'd have thought that the Clare player Malone's offence was of a far greater order than Diarmuid Connolly's.

I can't believe they're appealing the two match ban,I'd have thought the Banner's county board would be thanking their lucky stars with the leniency of the ban handed out.

you are right malone should have got a huge ban , 2 games is soft he should at least got two months , if it was Connolly that threw the tipp man to the ground last week you could bet your bottom dollar it would have been at least 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Did anyone actually see the Clare lads incident? I was told it was unintentional

On a related note: I've developed a major pain in my hole with managers and team staff coming on to or around the field and involving themselves with the other teams players, it's obvious a lot of it is preplanned gamesmanship, should be dealt by stewards like any other pitch intrusion

Bambi wrote: »
    Did anyone actually see the Clare lads incident? I was told it was unintentional

On a related note: I've developed a major pain in my hole with managers and team staff coming on to or around the field and involving themselves with the other teams players, it's obvious a lot of it is preplanned gamesmanship, should be dealt by stewards like any other pitch intrusion

You need to watch it! Clip is on Tipp forum.

It was intentional and Tipp lad wasn't even looking at him, never mind interfering with game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Patww79 wrote: »

Yeah, Connolly got what he deserved, anything involving contact with referees that is going to get punished, regardless of the intent.

In saying that, I think that the whole speech about him afterwards was a bit unseemly. Be grand if they were doing it for every player, but they did seem to pick him out and attack him more than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Bambi wrote: »

It's something that has crept into hurling more so this past couple of years. Davy being the worst culprit for it but Dan Shanahan has been seriously acting the goat with almost complete impunity for a number of seasons now. There was also the incident with Cody shoving the linesman last year that was also ignored by officials.

I agree with you, that it's getting ridiculous. It should be heavily clamped down on IMO. If someone from the line interferss in any way with players or officials they should be looking at a nice ban.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I'd fall on the Dublin side of things more often than not, but thinking Connolly got more of a ban because of RTÉ is dangerously straddling Tyrone levels of tinfoil hattery.

He got a ban because he put his hand on the linesman, nobody is saying otherwise. But let's look at how RTE specifically target certain individuals and go out of their way to find any angle they can to show an incident in poor light and the slow-mo just to make sure. All the while completely glossing over other incidents if it one of their darling counties/players.

I can guarantee you if Philly had thrown his GPS at saint COC while he was taking a free to win an AI they would have made a huge deal out of it and Philly would probably be sitting out this league campaign.

This is not tin foil hat territory at all. Look at how the team were pillared over that kickout in the final when all season long we've had players dragging and pulling out of our forwards. They are supposed to be impartial but are anything but.

The funniest part of that whole fake news campaign was the media agreed a narrative that the entire Mayo full back line was dragged down for the kick out when nothing of the sort happened.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Because the time fit the crime or because the lads on RTE don't have the influence. If its the former i agree. If its the latter there's no way its tinfoil hattery. They heavily influence popular opinion and the GAA isn't immune to the pressure that can create.

Spillane had no axe to grind on a personal level. It wasn't a personal attack. What got him worked up was the chance to add to the chorus and remove an influential Dublin player. His motive was obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Lads you do realise Dublin won the AI right? The Connolly suspension had literally no adverse affect on the end result. In fact, it probably steeled the panel more and definitely allowed Con mature as it gave him more game-time. Brought more out of Mannion too. Cannot still cry foul over the suspension with another Celtic Cross in the back-pocket.

As for the Keegan GPS icident, considering it wasn't flagged until the day after the final, and again didn't affect Rock's kick, you cannot state that had roles be reversed, that Philly would have been pilloried on the Sunday Game.

In my opinion, Gavin is being childish towards RTE. Siege mentality is a finite thing. Surely as the leader of the most recognisable and best team in the country he should be showing more decorum towards the media, particularly when they more often than not do nothing only praise Dublin, often to borderline obsessive fandom levels (except for when one or two players cross the line, which is to be expected)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Just to change the subject. The Dublin team for tonight is interesting with more changes from the Antrim game. After the last two performances I don't expect a win but I would like to see us play well at least and the likes of Sutcliffe, McMorrow and some of our older players on the bench start getting up to speed with things instead of leaving a lot to the younger lads.

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/964606583517917184

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Lads you do realise Dublin won the AI right?

Have we now become so complacent about winning that such an important detail might easily have been missed. ?
    The Connolly suspension had literally no adverse affect on the end result. In fact, it probably steeled the panel more and definitely allowed Con mature as it gave him more game-time. Brought more out of Mannion too. Cannot still cry foul over the suspension with another Celtic Cross in the back-pocket.

Saying that the Connolly suspension had no affect on the result because Dublin still managed to win is a nonsense statement. He was still unavailable for selection. The mouthpiece that is Pat Spillane made sure of that. Had they challenged it (they didnt bother) I would have loved to hear Ciaran Brannigan's explanation of what exactly he had said to Connollythat was picked up by the sideline crowd mics
    As for the Keegan GPS icident, considering it wasn't flagged until the day after the final, and again didn't affect Rock's kick, you cannot state that had roles be reversed, that Philly would have been pilloried on the Sunday Game.

It was flagged the day of the final infact. The evidence was being discussed in detail within hours. Simple matter is that something should have been done. If players cannot be trusted to not make a run and pitch a device into the path of a player running to take a free in the dying seconds of final then they shouldnt be allow carry these devices whatsoever.
    In my opinion, Gavin is being childish towards RTE. Siege mentality is a finite thing. Surely as the leader of the most recognisable and best team in the country he should be showing more decorum towards the media, particularly when they more often than not do nothing only praise Dublin, often to borderline obsessive fandom levels (except for when one or two players cross the line, which is to be expected)

Gavin doesnt give a ****e about the media. Most managers dont. His point about RTE and the incestuous attitude among the Sunday game team is correct. I have off air footage that underprins that attitude towards the Dubs that if it made its way into the public domain would piss off a lot of Dubs.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Just to change the subject. The Dublin team for tonight is interesting with more changes from the Antrim game. After the last two performances I don't expect a win but I would like to see us play well at least and the likes of Sutcliffe, McMorrow and some of our older players on the bench start getting up to speed with things instead of leaving a lot to the younger lads.

I think Whiteley only came on as sub in DCU/DIT game. Strange choice for one of most important positions on the field.

On paper it is weaker team than in Belfast. Would not be at all optimistic of getting anything out of this. Avoiding hiding maybe.

I thought he might have put a bit of a push on for this one, but that team would suggest that they are not expecting anything either!

Kavrocks wrote: »

That full back line is in for a Stern testing tonight and our midfield is very meh. I'll be surprised if we can keep this to single digits for the simple reason I just can't see our forwards either getting enough quality ball or having the pace to trouble Limerick.

Only 3 games in so it's understandable that they have no idea what their best team is. We'll have to wait and see how this pans out but I can't see us coming away with anything tonight, would love to be proven wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

STB. wrote: »
    I have off air footage that underprins that attitude towards the Dubs that if it made its way into the public domain would piss off a lot of Dubs.

Do tell. You can't leave us hanging like.

Two of those full backs were off the pace against offaly. Can see Limerick looking to make hay off them

McGib is nippy but he's just back from inury

Tbh it looks like a team with some oomph but I can't see us getting the scores

• Registered Users Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Lads you do realise Dublin won the AI right? The Connolly suspension had literally no adverse affect on the end result. In fact, it probably steeled the panel more and definitely allowed Con mature as it gave him more game-time. Brought more out of Mannion too. Cannot still cry foul over the suspension with another Celtic Cross in the back-pocket.

Shocking as it may seem I am Dub who agrees will all of the above except fo the media praising Dublin (that is only a recent thing where they would look silly not to).
    Gavin leaving Connolly out when he could have played him after his suspension could prove to be a masterstroke this season.
    Connolly should be at the top of his form by Championship and play with extra hunger.
    Not only that but Vincents were knocked out early on the leinster club so there is no excuse that he won't be fresh.

The Gavin RTE thing is a bit of a farce.
    Wolly Parkinson summed it up on his Podcast Jim Gavin does not say anything anyway and is blatant about it even when he is forced to.

So Gavin is no loss media wise.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

corny wrote: »
    Do tell. You can't leave us hanging like.

Trying to find it corny. Have it archived on a media drive. Think I can find it.

When I do I'll up it to youtube. It was about Dubs fans wrecking the place on tour back in the day.

Sounded like thy played the Azerbaijani national anthem in Limerick!

Looks like it might be only light hearted moment for us tonight ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The hurling match is live on limerick live 95fm for those who want some neutral non-parochial commentary :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

0-7 to 1-13 @ HT .. nothing we weren't expecting I suppose ..:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement