Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It's not Galway we're worried about.

It's the Chinese, the Russians & the Norwegians.

In that order.

Loves the aul curling, so they do, so they do ! :D

I hear the Canucks are fairly handy with the granite and sweeping brushes as well :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Saw on the news there that a Russian curler has been done for doping in d'Limpicks. I mean seriously.... WTF like? Why on earth would you need to juice up to curl?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Saw on the news there that a Russian curler has been done for doping in d'Limpicks. I mean seriously.... WTF like? Why on earth would you need to juice up to curl?

Gilroy was spotted boarding an Aeroflot plane to Moscow this morning ....

Sssssshhhhhush.....

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Gilroy was spotted boarding an Aeroflot plane to Moscow this morning ....

All the Mexican supplements in the world won't help you lift a ball first time into the hand, therefore I feel his trip will be in vain.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, but how whristy are the Russians though?

That's the real question.

And do they really enjoy throwing nuts to a monkey, or are they just faking it?

All of Putin's shady billions won't help him there.

Ah yeah, but how whristy are the Russians though?

They are wristy ice hockeyers. He could organise a few transfers to Vinnies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Speaking of wristy hurlers, see over on res dubs multiple sources claiming mcMorrow has left the panel...

Bambi wrote: »
    Speaking of wristy hurlers, see over on res dubs multiple sources claiming mcMorrow has left the panel...

Yep. Anyone who thought GC leaving was going to solve all the problems was deluding themselves.

How many lads are going to be killing themselves to get onto a team playing in 2A and perhaps the Horgan Cup or whatever is called.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Well at least Dublin hurling can't get any worse then it already is.
    Relegation might help take the pressure off the younger lads for a year.

I am trying to look at the positives!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Relegation put Laois and Antrim and Westmeath back decades. You are going nowhere if you lose Div I status and get relegated from championship. I've said that to some people and they told me I am losing the plot. I can remember when they were in division III; saw them playing and getting beaten by Roscommon in Athleague.

That's what's facing Dublin at the moment. Desperately need to have good underage teams this year that will win Leinster and be competitive in AI series.

Lest I be considered to be too negative, congrats to the Dublin north schools team that beat Kierans of Kilkenny in the Leinster final today. First win since 2008 and that team produced McCaffrey and others so there is some hope!

Well at least Dublin hurling can't get any worse then it already is.
    Relegation might help take the pressure off the younger lads for a year.

I am trying to look at the positives!

The same was said about getting relegated from 1A. Going down again would be an unmitigated disaster. This division should be the bare minimum we should be looking at, especially in terms of the work put in at underage this past decade. The biggest problem with going down to 2A is that the standard is just so poor and playing nothing but poor teams does nothing for developing players.

We need to put out our strongest possible players/team out this next 2 games with the hope that we get something out of either game. My biggest fear is that Gilroy & Co keep experimenting and we go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If there's anyone travelling down to Castlebar this weekend and has booked into The Ivy Tower (formerly Welcome Inn Hotel) then I would give them a buzz to make sure room is ok.

There was a fire in there yesterday. A fair bit of damage done. I don't know the situation re rooms, best to contact them directly.

Apologies, the fire was originally planned for next weekend ;)

JRant wrote: »
    The same was said about getting relegated from 1A. Going down again would be an unmitigated disaster. This division should be the bare minimum we should be looking at, especially in terms of the work put in at underage this past decade. The biggest problem with going down to 2A is that the standard is just so poor and playing nothing but poor teams does nothing for developing players.

We need to put out our strongest possible players/team out this next 2 games with the hope that we get something out of either game. My biggest fear is that Gilroy & Co keep experimenting and we go down.

Well being in Div 1 is doing eff all in developing players either. It's been 5-7 years since the glory days of 2011/2013 and we have seen little to no progresssion, in the summer, when it really counts. So of what real use has it been, to being in being in Div 1 all that time? What use is it getting hammering after hammering from the big boys? It just destroys confidence.

As gormdubh said, a drop down might not do any harm. It takes the pressure off for a while and maybe gives us time to lick our wounds and see where we are at, away from the glare of yet another hiding from a top tier county. We are on a hiding to nothing by thinking we can compete with the Galways and the Tipps of the world. We really can't. It's time to shelve our egos for a while and face reality.

Dropping to 2A, and relegation from senior championship - which is real possibility. We might beat Offaly, that's the height of it - would be disaster in several ways.

Apart as others said that Dublin would be playing at a very low standard, and not even guaranteed to get out!, it would lead to more players leaving and more deciding not to have anything to do with the county team, and more underage hurlers choosing football if that is an option, That's where it is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

As gormdubh said, a drop down might not do any harm. It takes the pressure off for a while and maybe gives us time to lick our wounds and see where we are at, away from the glare of yet another hiding from a top tier county. We are on a hiding to nothing by thinking we can compete with the Galways and the Tipps of the world. We really can't. It's time to shelve our egos for a while and face reality.

A drop down to 2A? It's a death sentence, we'll build nothing from there

I always looked on Dublin's goals as staying at the top table and being a team that could compete in Leinster and cause an upset in the Championship against anyone on a good day.

We can't compete with the Offalys and Limericks of the world right now and just accepting that as the state of affairs for the foreseeable future is not an option.

I'm by no means saying that we should just accept where we are. Just that staying in Div 1 and getting hammering after hammering, serves what purpose exactly?

To grow and develop players? Yeah, great in theory alright. But where is the evidence, that it is actually happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Confirmed ACL rupture for BB.

https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/update-on-bernard-brogan-injury-recovery

Not a doctor but thats a definite rap for this season isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Those announcements are so sterile.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

With all the money we get, I don't know why we can't just build him a new knee. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Yer darn tootin' !

Gentlemen, we CAN rebuild him....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

They can use my face to make him better looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

If anybody can't make the game tomorrow but wants the scan let me know. Whilst I have a season ticket myself I gave it to a mate thinking I wasn't going- but now I think I can.

Well being in Div 1 is doing eff all in developing players either. It's been 5-7 years since the glory days of 2011/2013 and we have seen little to no progresssion, in the summer, when it really counts. So of what real use has it been, to being in being in Div 1 all that time? What use is it getting hammering after hammering from the big boys? It just destroys confidence.

To be honest if we can't compete in 1B without shipping these kinds of hammerings then they may as well pack up. We should be aiming to get to the level of Tipp and Galway but in the meantime we most certainly should be at least competitive against the likes of Offaly/Limerick/Laois/Antrim. I mean we weren't even close against those first 2 teams, not even in the same ballpark.

Is it really acceptable that we ship such heavy loses to counties?
    Is that the standard we should now accept?

2A is a graveyard for teams. Playing in 2A will not do anything to develop young players. The gulf is so big that when they do play against even half decent teams they'll be blown away as the pace of the game is glacial down there.

As others have rightly said, we already struggle keeping players. That's going to get a lot worst if we drop down again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    2A isn't really a graveyard. The competing teams are hardly sleeping giants or anything.

Not sure I follow. It's a graveyard in the sense that there is nothing but muck in it and playing those teams is so far away from where you want too be it's not even funny.
    Look at the lineup this year; Kerry, Meath, westmeath, Carlow, Kildare and the mighty London. If we go down this year it will be on merit as we have been atrocious but make no mistake, it would be an absolute disaster.

If it does happen then the county board need to act swiftly and end this current experiment on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭donnem33

I can't see Dublin relegated tbh.

Even if they end up in a relegation playoff (which I don't even think they will) won't the Cuala contingent be back on board by then? I know they are on the go constantly but whenever teams from Galway won the club All Ireland, some players were back the following weekend playing with the county

donnem33 wrote: »
    I can't see Dublin relegated tbh.

Even if they end up in a relegation playoff (which I don't even think they will) won't the Cuala contingent be back on board by then? I know they are on the go constantly but whenever teams from Galway won the club All Ireland, some players were back the following weekend playing with the county

Gough, Cian O'Callaghan, O'Connell and David Treacy came back from Cuala to ply in pretty heavy defeat by Clare in the 1A play off last year. As far as I can see, the 1B play off will be either on March 11 or March 18. First date total rules out the Cuala lads and they are not going to be playing for Dublin the day after an AI final! So we are stuck with what we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

tps://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficialht

A nice team for Castlebar this evening.

1. Stephen Cluxton - Parnells

2. Eric Lowndes - St. Peregrines
    3. Philip McMahon - Ballymun Kickhams
    4. David Byrne - Naomh Olaf
    5. James McCarthy - Ballymun Kickhams
    6. Jonny Cooper - Na Fianna
    7. John Small - Ballymun Kickhams
    8. Brian Fenton - Raheny
    9. Michael Darragh Macauley - Ballyboden St. Enda's