Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mr Snow wrote: »
    GM228 wrote: »
    If you are using a vehicle for an activity not covered by your insurance policy you can be prosecuted for driving with no insurance even though you have a valid policy of insurance otherwise.

There is a body of case law on the matter, but the recent High Court judicial review case Ighovojah vs Judge Smyth & DPP [2016] IEHC 505 gives the best read on the matter.

HZCeSb6l.jpg

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/891725023496556544

Another Just Eater. Sorry lad but your 3n1 aint coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone else feel the gardai are wrong seizing these bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

This feel I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Seize the gear used for the job perhaps and issue a F.C.P.N to the company?

Should the employer not ensure the correct insurance is used regardless of who owns the bikes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Yeah it seems a bit heavy handed alright.

The driver must be insured to drive the bike but not insured to use the bike for work.

Seizing the bike just add another cost to the driver.

• Advertisement

Seize the gear used for the job perhaps and issue a F.C.P.N to the company?

Should the employer not ensure the correct insurance is used regardless of who owns the bikes?

The driver is the employer. They're self employed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Looks like the motorbike that was stopped is foreign? Can't see the blue label at the side.r

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

ED E wrote: »
    The driver is the employer. They're self employed.

Didn't realise that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Surprised that all these delivery riders have a bike licence in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Surprised that all these delivery riders have a bike licence in the first place.

Many are on learner permit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

bear1 wrote: »
    Looks like the motorbike that was stopped is foreign? Can't see the blue label at the side.r

They blank out regs and as many distinguishable markings on vehicles they stop before they post up the pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As a motorcyclist, no.

If I don't comply with the conditions attached to my policy then I'm not insured at all.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Homer wrote: »

Jesus wonder what happened there, very straight road. Unless someone was in bus lane converging on driving lane at speed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Looks to be a fairly new Beemer. Some he gave the zafira

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/banned-driver-jailed-for-12th-no-insurance-conviction-1.3172710?mode=amp

Not Garda Traffic but related - caught 12 times for no insurance & was already on a 10-year ban when he was caught this time.

Ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/banned-driver-jailed-for-12th-no-insurance-conviction-1.3172710?mode=amp

Not Garda Traffic but related - caught 12 times for no insurance & was already on a 10-year ban when he was caught this time.

Ffs.

Its their culture, Boss.

• Advertisement

Ffs.

Released pending appeal then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Released pending appeal then?
    Free Legal Aid is a great money earner for some. :mad:

Riva10 wrote: »
    Free Legal Aid is a great money earner for some. :mad:

They should limit it after a few convictions, make them pay for it after that.

They should limit it after a few convictions, make them pay for it after that.

you shouldn't still be out in the free world if you make it past 5 in my book.

you shouldn't still be out in the free world if you make it past 5 in my book.

I was going to say the 3 strikes rule depending on the offences.

This is the worst part of this story
    the defendant said he had no one to mind his newborn baby
    What chance does that kid have with that kinda parent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

ED E wrote: »
    This is the worst part of this story

What chance does that kid have with that kinda parent...

None , but hopefully he wont be around the child much, he will be locked up most of its life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    None , but hopefully he wont be around the child much, he will be locked up most of its life.

No he won't, suspended sentence followed by suspended sentence, followed by ..............

Now if they could take the fine out of SW ( and not at 50c a week) it might have a better chance of finding a cure.

But they can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

joeysoap wrote: »
    No he won't, suspended sentence followed by suspended sentence, followed by ..............

Now if they could take the fine out of SW ( and not at 50c a week) it might have a better chance of finding a cure.

But they can't.

SW is calculated at the minimum you need just to survive and get by. If you put him below the level, what do you think he's gonna do to get by? Turn to crime is my guess.

• Advertisement

SW is calculated at the minimum you need just to survive and get by. If you put him below the level, what do you think he's gonna do to get by? Turn to crime is my guess.

Some members of society do that in addition to SW sadly.

So what you're saying is that we only pay social welfare to stop people turning to criminality….
    Turning to crime is a moral choice, not an economic one. If there are people who are only being kept away from a life of crime by the 188 a week welfare then those people have a serious defect.

we're going completely off topic here now lads, more garda twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

So what you're saying is that we only pay social welfare to stop people turning to criminality….

Seriously, what? That's bs - you said it, not me. You're obviously not up for discussing it, hence the wannabe mod comment, so let it at that I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

markc1184 wrote: »

Morning after the races in Galway monday normally attracts a lot of locals not surprised their out and about great to see

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Bazzy wrote: »
    Morning after the races in Galway monday normally attracts a lot of locals not surprised their out and about great to see

Seems to be a major increase in not only breathalyser tests on Saturday nights, but also on the following Sunday morning. So even after getting a cab home after a night out, make sure you let plenty of time pass before you drive the vehicle the following day.

The Gardai are possibly trying to make up for the approx. 1 million false/fake breathalyser tests that they registered on their Pulse system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Kivaro wrote: »
    Seems to be a major increase in not only breathalyser tests on Saturday nights, but also on the following Sunday morning. So even after getting a cab home after a night out, make sure you let plenty of time pass before you drive the vehicle the following day.

The Gardai are possibly trying to make up for the approx. 1 million false/fake breathalyser tests that they registered on their Pulse system.

There is an increase of checkpoints etc of late due to the Traffic Corps numbers being significantly increased over the last few months, 71 Gardaí have joined the corps since January with a further 70 Gardaí to transfer to the corps in the coming months.

There is an increase of checkpoints etc of late due to the Traffic Corps numbers being significantly increased over the last few months, 71 Gardaí have joined the corps since January with a further 70 Gardaí to transfer to the corps in the coming months.

Are you able to provide a source for this info please?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Will this mean that other areas of crime prevention and detection within the Gardaí will be even more understaffed than at present.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Will this mean that other areas of crime prevention and detection within the Gardaí will be even more understaffed than at present.?

The Gardai are not understaffed.

When the last threatened strike was happening it was reported that there would be less than 1,000 active Gardai on duty on any day.

Out of total force of nearly 13,000 Gardai.

There are more Gardai working on any day of course, but they are doing things that could and should be done more efficiently.

Go to court on any day and see how many Gardai are sitting there waiting to give evidence. Many more are based in stations doing paperwork.

There are more than enough Gardai. They just need to be used more efficiently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

When you see an increased focus to catch drivers with alcohol still in their system on a Sunday morning at 9:00 a.m., you have to wonder whether the initiative is to divert attention away from the million or so false breathalyser tests "conducted" by Garda, or simply to up their conviction rates to pacify the outrage after the false tests came to light.

I see unmarked and marked units all over the place with their breathalyser road blocks. I then question the diversion of resources since I did not realise that there were so many Gardai available in the country to conduct these road tests.

It is all so contrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

D Trent wrote: »
    Are you able to provide a source for this info please?

Not specifically, but these articles will give an indication of the numbers.

In November 2016 there were 681 in the corps.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/garda-traffic-corps-almost-halved-from-peak-of-1-200-officers-1.2854654%3fmode=amp[/quote]

In a statement to The Irish Times on Friday a Garda spokesman said the corps’ strength was lower again, at 681 officers.

This droped again due to retirement and promotion as well as the disbandment of some units, and I'm told that since January 71 members entered the Corps bringing the number to 690.

By the end of the year there will be an additional 70 added.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/motoring-bans-to-be-recognised-across-the-border-1.3172815?mode=amp
    Assistant Commissioner Michael Finn said another 70 gardaí would be added to the Road Traffic Corps by the end of the year bringing the full-time strength of the corps to about 760 gardaí.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I really hope they get some with decent personalities and can give some respect to others as I've come across some that are terrible....

Yes I understand one will get these types anywhere but when you give respect it should be returned.

Not specifically, but these articles will give an indication of the numbers.

In November 2016 there were 681 in the corps.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/garda-traffic-corps-almost-halved-from-peak-of-1-200-officers-1.2854654%3fmode=amp

This droped again due to retirement and promotion as well as the disbandment of some units, and I'm told that since January 71 members entered the Corps bringing the number to 690.

By the end of the year there will be an additional 70 added.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/motoring-bans-to-be-recognised-across-the-border-1.3172815?mode=amp[/quote]

I'm happy with that
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Kivaro wrote: »
    When you see an increased focus to catch drivers with alcohol still in their system on a Sunday morning at 9:00 a.m., you have to wonder whether the initiative is to divert attention away from the million or so false breathalyser tests "conducted" by Garda, or simply to up their conviction rates to pacify the outrage after the false tests came to light.

I see unmarked and marked units all over the place with their breathalyser road blocks. I then question the diversion of resources since I did not realise that there were so many Gardai available in the country to conduct these road tests.

It is all so contrived.

But if their getting the message across around drink driving and it saves someone from being killed its time , resource and ultimately money well spent.

I live in rural ireland and drink driving is still RAMPANT any rural pub will have a flock of cars parked outside it any given evening

We need more rural checkpoints on roads you least expect to see them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

The sooner the gaurds tweet somethnig new the better FFS lads.

tossy wrote: »
    The sooner the gaurds tweet somethnig new the better FFS lads.

How about this and we can have another "focal point" of the photo discussion :)

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/893116263341457408

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

How about this and we can have another "focal point" of the photo discussion :)

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/893116263341457408

She should change her own tyre.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement