Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Killinator wrote: »
    You might explain what my quota is, my supervisors haven't told me what they are....
    Considering I have for the last 15 years been a member of Traffic and am now a member of RPU,I know too well how the quota system works . ;) It's all about numbers. and appearances :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Considering I have for the last 15 years been a member of Traffic and am now a member of RPU,I know too well how the quota system works . ;) It's all about numbers. and appearances :rolleyes:

Fair enough, non existent quotas here but if you did you did, I won't argue that appearances are more important than anything else :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

RPU = Revenue Protection Unit ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

0lddog wrote: »
    RPU = Revenue Protection Unit ?

Roads Policing Unit, new name for the traffic Corp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

https://twitter.com/Politie/status/1113756032407416832?

Never mind the text and what is being said, you wouldnt understand.

It is something the police in The Netherlands is doing against mobile phone usage in traffic.

Bus with spotters, a few cars and bikes close by to stop those who have been spotted using their phone behind the wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Good to catch mobile phone drivers but, is there no law about seatbelts in buses on the motorway in the Netherlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Muller1991

212 kph, Seriously no need for that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

flazio wrote: »
    Good to catch mobile phone drivers but, is there no law about seatbelts in buses on the motorway in the Netherlands?

Quick check... No.

Touring cars like the one in the clip do have them but you are only to wear them on trips going abroad (we do have bus holidays to Spain for example)
    Public transport you only have to wear them on citylink buses that can go over 80.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

joujoujou wrote: »

'English registered' no less, wonder was it also driving in the fascccchhhhhhtttttt lane :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Since when do the Gardaí enforce other countries road tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Always, well they are suppose to. If I was to drive in England I would need valid Irish motor tax paid.

They aren't, they're enforcing the Irish transposition of EU law which states that foreign cars are legal to drive in other member states only so long as they comply with domestic(i.e. where they're registered) regulations around taxing/mandatory testing.

Irish regged cars needs to be taxed and NCTed to be road legal anywhere in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭JustARandomGuy

They aren't, they're enforcing the Irish transposition of EU law which states that foreign cars are legal to drive in other member states only so long as they comply with domestic(i.e. where they're registered) regulations around taxing/mandatory testing.

Irish regged cars needs to be taxed and NCTed to be road legal anywhere in the EU.

Realistically that’s only enforced here. I’ve seen plenty of Irish reg’d cars in France/Belgium/Netherlands/Germany/Poland/Romaniawithout NCT or motor tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Realistically that’s only enforced here. I’ve seen plenty of Irish reg’d cars in France/Belgium/Netherlands/Germany/Poland/Romaniawithout NCT or motor tax

Nevertheless, at least Ireland is actively enforcing that law which is can only be a good thing.

I've seen plenty of Irish cars in Ireland without NCT or Motor Tax or Insurance, does that mean those laws aren't enforced in Ireland either?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭JustARandomGuy

Actually, that directive (2014/45) does not mention tax specifically.

"Vehicles used on public roads are required to be roadworthy when they are used. The holder of the registration certificate and, where applicable, the operator of the vehicle should be responsible for keeping the vehicle in a roadworthy condition."

So in theory it's correct, but it's quite vague and up to interpretation. I would consider roadworthy just being tested, not taxed.

If the tax is on fuel in another country then should the person buy a tax disc? I would actually contact a lawyer if I owned that car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I remember being in a courtroom in the mid 90s when a guard had the owner of a GB car up for speeding, bald tyre and a few other things. As soon as the guard mentioned there was no tax on the car the judge stopped him and said, "It's not my job to collect revenue for another jurisdiction". or words to that effect. That charge was struck out.

That was 25 years ago. Maybe things have changed since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Lads relax. The tweet said that the van had no insurance, tax or test. Not that the driver was being prosecuted for that. The no insurance was enough to seize and prosecute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Several Templemore rookies have tried that with foreign vehicles only to end up with egg on their faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

A car is only exempt from the requirement to have Irish tax by being fully legal in the State in which it is registered.

This is the case whether or not the judge is lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

5 or 10 kmh over the speed limit is one thing but 35 & 40 kmh over is something you tend to notice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

neris wrote: »
    5 or 10 kmh over the speed limit is one thing but 35 & 40 kmh over is something you tend to notice

Yeah but usually you just get the fcpn for the 34-40km over. Any more than that and you're risking a court appearance. At the end of the day it is up to the garda and you passing the attitude test or not.

Actually, that directive (2014/45) does not mention tax specifically.

"Vehicles used on public roads are required to be roadworthy when they are used. The holder of the registration certificate and, where applicable, the operator of the vehicle should be responsible for keeping the vehicle in a roadworthy condition."

So in theory it's correct, but it's quite vague and up to interpretation. I would consider roadworthy just being tested, not taxed.

If the tax is on fuel in another country then should the person buy a tax disc? I would actually contact a lawyer if I owned that car.

The directive you're referring to has nothing to do with that. The part you're quoting is from the preamble, and is just a summation of the current status quo with regard to roadworthiness testing - it's separate from EU legislation requiring member states to recognise the legality of foreign registered cars as long as they comply with domestic legislation.

I can't quote the article or judgement off the top of my head, but it's been established for decades - it should be obvious that anything else runs contrary to founding principles of the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

212 Km/h!! :eek:

I mean, if you're gonna try to max your car, at least do it at 3am when the roads are quiet.

I do have a little sympathy for a sales rep who clocks up 50k per year on unfamiliar roads losing their license by hitting 12 points, but 212km/h is just asking to be disqualified on the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

neris wrote: »

i bet most of those in the '60' zone is that m7 upgrade works, in which case its a 120 zone with some construction works and a greedy desire for fines.

i bet most of those in the '60' zone is that m7 upgrade works, in which case its a 120 zone with some construction works and a greedy desire for fines.

It's a 60 zone right now like it or loathe it. It's also the most publicised enforced zone in the country for months. If you get caught there you've no one to blame but yourself

Edit: 'you' meaning the public in general and not specifically your good self

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Killinator wrote: »
    It's a 60 zone right now like it or loathe it. It's also the most publicised enforced zone in the country for months. If you get caught there you've no one to blame but yourself

Edit: 'you' meaning the public in general and not specifically your good self

while I agree with you , its more a reference point for anyone coming here on a high horse about road safety or wreckless driving, that ones just a money spinner.

while I agree with you , its more a reference point for anyone coming here on a high horse about road safety or wreckless driving, that ones just a money spinner.

And what a money spinner it is. Ultimately it wouldn't provide a penny if people adhered to it.
    I say this as someone who's recieved 2 FCNs in the past at elsewhere, you just gotta accept you messed up and move on.
    I agree with the limit in work hours but would agree it's pointless at nighttime when there are no workers to protect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

No, it's a 60 zone. It says it very clearly on multiple signs. If you choose to ignore that, that's your own issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

fullstop wrote: »
    No, it's a 60 zone. It says it very clearly on multiple signs. If you choose to ignore that, that's your own issue.

Drove it the weekend and just stuck the cruise control to 60, Sat-Nav said I was doing 57 so I was safe out, its a bugger but no way I was risking it as like you said its highly publicised. What would be far better if there was 24/7 construction to get it finished and restore the 120km/h speed limit afterwards both of which are unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Should put up average speed cameras then you will see everyone following suit and traffic will be much smoother then the ones causing issues lane hopping constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Should put up average speed cameras then you will see everyone following suit and traffic will be much smoother then the ones causing issues lane hopping constantly.

They used to have them just North of Newry. Admittedly it was a very poor road with lots of hidden dips on a dual carriageway with lots of farm exits along it. But, it encouraged lunacy either side of the average cameras. New road was built and everyone moves along at a nice pace now. Not a fan of them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

joujoujou wrote: »
    Speed cameras on motorways are just about getting money. Much rather that they try catching speeders in black spots, or in built up areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

the_syco wrote: »
    Speed cameras on motorways are just about getting money. Much rather that they try catching speeders in black spots, or in built up areas.

People get mangled on motorways too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

The directive you're referring to has nothing to do with that. The part you're quoting is from the preamble, and is just a summation of the current status quo with regard to roadworthiness testing - it's separate from EU legislation requiring member states to recognise the legality of foreign registered cars as long as they comply with domestic legislation.

I can't quote the article or judgement off the top of my head, but it's been established for decades - it should be obvious that anything else runs contrary to founding principles of the EU.

It's Directive 83/182/EEC, and all EU states have implemented it's requirements.

Ireland and Northern Ireland have had similar provisions long before the Directive or even the EU itself, for example Irish motor tax has been required in Northern Ireland and vice versa since 1925 and it's interesting to note the original 1925 legislation in Northern Ireland is still in force to this day (the rest of the UK has newer legislation dealing with this, but to the same effect).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Actually the 60 limit there isn’t just about safety or indeed “money spinning”.

The biggest impact the enforcement of the 60 limit has done is actually reduce the times it takes traffic to clear through the works area. Before enforcement the traffic would be at a standstill at each of the pinchpoints in the works area (and. It just at rush hour). Now the traffic flows a lot better than it did when people were booting in at a hundred only to have to jam on the breaks and cause “concertina effect” traffic jams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

GBX wrote: »

What's the mobility app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

CoBo55 wrote: »
    What's the mobility app?

Garda app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Is there some sort of partnership between the Gardai and Samsung? Whenever they post about the Mobility app it's always from a Samsung phone, or just a coincidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

markc1184 wrote: »
    Is there some sort of partnership between the Gardai and Samsung? Whenever they post about the Mobility app it's always from a Samsung phone, or just a coincidence?

These are the devices they picked to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

All the company phone in the company I work for are Samsung.....it's just coincidence in this case, no partnership. I'm sure it's the same with AGS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

markc1184 wrote: »

Probably got a deal by the network, who in turn probably got a deal themselves from Samsung. My knowledge is a few years old but the phone networks get incentives to push certain brands and phone plans. Staff would often compete to sell the most phones in turn for winning a new Samsung TV or laptop for example.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement