Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What a tool driving them speeds.....

I see it a lot and especially vans with huge trailers travelling at them speeds.

Following the thread theres someone who seems to be disputing its limited to 80. Folks who do it, either don't want to know or simply don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

And that's just a very small percentage of the sh!te on our roads. Inexcusable carry-on in some cases. More of this please, and go for middle lane hogging as well while at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Mr Snow wrote: »

My next door neighbour is driving on a provisional since the 90's!! Her two kids are as well. Not an L plate to be seen!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

CoBo55 wrote: »
    My next door neighbour is driving on a provisional since the 90's!! Her two kids are as well. Not an L plate to be seen!!

How are they getting away with that? A guard has asked to see my licence 3 times in the last 2 years. How is nobody checking theirs?

How are they getting away with that? A guard has asked to see my licence 3 times in the last 2 years. How is nobody checking theirs?

I honestly couldn't tell you, she drives to work every day, herself and the partner were in Punchestown at the races, pics all over FB, she was driving as he's seldom sober, brazen neck I suppose. I got bagged twice over the weekend, wasn't asked for my license but have been several times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

How long do the different drugs stay in your system, or stay detectable? Asking for a friend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

I can honestly say I have only been asked for my license only once in the last 15 years. I do 40 to 50K km per annum..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

^^^^
    fine to follow

**** that.. so you can give me penalty points too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

report them - you could be saving you or a family member

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

inforfun wrote: »
    ^^^^

**** that.. so you can give me penalty points too?

Being a Vauxhall rather than an Opel, there is a possibility that it's a foreign registered vehicle and maybe not subject to receiving points.

If it is an Irish licenced driver then they will receive penalty points along with the fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I honestly couldn't tell you, she drives to work every day, herself and the partner were in Punchestown at the races, pics all over FB, she was driving as he's seldom sober, brazen neck I suppose. I got bagged twice over the weekend, wasn't asked for my license but have been several times.

Guards must ask for driving licence when breathalizing, so I guess that's how most of them are found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

wonski wrote: »
    Guards must ask for driving licence when breathalizing, so I guess that's how most of them are found.

Last time I was breathalyzed I asked if he wanted to see my license, he asked me if it was a full license and said it was grand when I answered yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

How long do the different drugs stay in your system, or stay detectable? Asking for a friend...

Can't comment about other drugs but cannabis can be detected on those breathaliser tests generally 24-48 hours after youve last smoked.
    Despite the fact that cannabis effects wear off after 2 hours smoked, you can still have your life ruined for not being any way intoxicated and high.

total BS test tbh.

I'd love to know how they manage this in legal countries like Canada, and the US. Afaik they just don't test for cannabis unless you are blatantly stoned to oblivion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

Can't comment about other drugs but cannabis can be detected on those breathaliser tests generally 24-48 hours after youve last smoked.
    Despite the fact that cannabis effects wear off after 2 hours smoked, you can still have your life ruined for not being any way intoxicated and high.

total BS test tbh.

I'd love to know how they manage this in legal countries like Canada, and the US. Afaik they just don't test for cannabis unless you are blatantly stoned to oblivion.

The Drager test only tests for the presence of drugs. A blood or urine sample will be taken and tested for the official level of drugs in the system. You dont get convicted off the road side test alone

The Drager test only tests for the presence of drugs. A blood or urine sample will be taken and tested for the official level of drugs in the system. You dont get convicted off the road side test alone

Whats the official level of cannabis that warrants a driving conviction? From what I've heard, any detection at all means guilty.

amcalester wrote: »
    Last time I was breathalyzed I asked if he wanted to see my license, he asked me if it was a full license and said it was grand when I answered yes.

He should see it as he should be testing you based on the licence you have. They asked me last time.

That's theory, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

Whats the official level of cannabis that warrants a driving conviction? From what I've heard, any detection at all means guilty.

Well the Guard will have to give evidence on his opinion of your driving was impaired by the drugs.

Well the Guard will have to give evidence on his opinion of your driving was impaired by the drugs.

ah yeah, good luck with that. Gardai and judges will throw the book at you regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

He should see it as he should be testing you based on the licence you have. They asked me last time.

That's theory, though.

This was nearly 2 years ago, not sure what the regs were at the time.

He did say that he’d only ask to see the license if I said I was on a learner.

knipex wrote: »
    I can honestly say I have only been asked for my license only once in the last 15 years. I do 40 to 50K km per annum..

Got asked for licence and bagged last night!! Two armed guys with them too..

Got asked for licence and bagged last night!! Two armed guys with them too..

I'm driving nearly 30 years, couple million Km easy. Breathalyzed once, probably 28 / 29 years ago, just after I passed my test. I was stopped coming out of town with a car load of drunk 18 / 19 year olds acting the maggot.

I have been stopped at maybe 8 or 9 checkpoints since and waved on.

Outside of randomly seeing a car pulled in (probably for speeding) its amazing how rarely I come across the Gardai on the road. There used to me more random checkpoints for tax \ insurance but even those are becoming less frequent.

Did come across a couple of revenue checkpoints in the last year but was waved through each one without a word..

Either I have a very honest face \ am extremely lucky or the chances of getting caught in this country for a traffic offense other than speeding are very slim..

I unknowingly, genuine mistake, drove a car for 6 months with no road. I did back pay when I spotted the mistake but I drove all over Ireland, parked everywhere and nothing. Only yesterday I spotted that my wife forgot to put her insurance disk into her (for her) new car which she bought 5 months ago..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I'm driving nearly 30 years, couple million Km easy. Breathalyzed once, probably 28 / 29 years ago, just after I passed my test. I was stopped coming out of town with a car load of drunk 18 / 19 year olds acting the maggot.

I have been stopped at maybe 8 or 9 checkpoints since and waved on.

Outside of randomly seeing a car pulled in (probably for speeding) its amazing how rarely I come across the Gardai on the road. There used to me more random checkpoints for tax \ insurance but even those are becoming less frequent.

Did come across a couple of revenue checkpoints in the last year but was waved through each one without a word..

Either I have a very honest face \ am extremely lucky or the chances of getting caught in this country for a traffic offense other than speeding are very slim..

I unknowingly, genuine mistake, drove a car for 6 months with no road. I did back pay when I spotted the mistake but I drove all over Ireland, parked everywhere and nothing. Only yesterday I spotted that my wife forgot to put her insurance disk into her (for her) new car which she bought 5 months ago..
    I think it depends what part of the country you are in and what times you drive at. I get breathalysed maybe 15 times a year and stopped at at least 1 checkpoint a month, but the gardai have always been very present in my local area and very actively pull over random cars driving around for full checks

• Advertisement

rex-x wrote: »
    I think it depends what part of the country you are in and what times you drive at. I get breathalysed maybe 15 times a year and stopped at at least 1 checkpoint a month, but the gardai have always been very present in my local area and very actively pull over random cars driving around for full checks

I am now based in the Limerick Region, Drive to Cork, Galway, Dublin regularly, at least once a week to each location. Motorway driving daily, At one point I was doing 75,000km per year but closed to 50 now. I tend to leave home early, around 6:30 and try to be home by 6:30 / 7pm.

I have noticed a distinct reduction in Garda viability on the roads over the last 10 or 12 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

Checkpoints on motorways are infrequent

Just because you don't notice Gardai doesn't of course mean they are not about.. Unmarked units too

Wonder if anyone can assist me with a quick query.......I seem to remember one of the official Garda twitter accounts indicated that using dash cams might be illegal and a breach of data protection guidelines at some stage in the last 3 or 4 months.

When challenged, they then retracted that statement, if i recall correctly. Just wondering if anyone remembers this or has a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Filming is allowed in public places, that was the point IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Wonder if anyone can assist me with a quick query.......I seem to remember one of the official Garda twitter accounts indicated that using dash cams might be illegal and a breach of data protection guidelines at some stage in the last 3 or 4 months.

When challenged, they then retracted that statement, if i recall correctly. Just wondering if anyone remembers this or has a link?
    Not exactly what you are looking for but...
    https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/guidance-landing/guidance-drivers-use-dash-cams
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/q-a-how-to-ensure-your-dash-cam-does-not-infringe-privacy-law-1.3727572

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement

joujoujou wrote: »

Yeah, that's what I seem to remember alright. The Data Protection Commission guidelines are very wishy washy on this, all the language is "could be in breach...." or "data implications may arise...."

I was looking for something more concrete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Seeing as how they have been known to appeal for dashcam footage i doubt it's an issue

Yeah, that's what I seem to remember alright. The Data Protection Commission guidelines are very wishy washy on this, all the language is "could be in breach...." or "data implications may arise...."

I was looking for something more concrete.
    They are a bit vague aren't they?

h3000 wrote: »
    They are a bit vague aren't they?

Yeah, nothing concrete at all. "You could be in breach, depending on the circumstances.......but we'll be f@$ked if we're going to let you know what those circumstances are at all."
    Kamili wrote: »

Bingo. That's the Times article I remember from that time alright. Should be able to find the tweets based on this.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1089476379501039616

Tweet asking for footage to be removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Tweet asking for footage to be removed.

They can ask all they like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

joujoujou wrote: »

The issue is not with the recording, but with the publishing of the recordings.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I unknowingly, genuine mistake, drove a car for 6 months with no road.

6671c1b6b82bb83eb39d6e461a02c49caf2f79c0b1b7d9bd8a3e04dda8f63f2f.jpg

The issue is not with the recording, but with the publishing of the recordings.

There is no issue with publishing videos recorded in a public place, people don't have a reasonable expectation to privacy on the road, etc

• Advertisement

There is no issue with publishing videos recorded in a public place, people don't have a reasonable expectation to privacy on the road, etc

That's not true, it depends on the context of the video. Automated looping recordings of a public place do not qualify for the data protection exemption under the purely person / household activity categories. Look up C‑212/13.

Taking a video /=/ automated recording systems such as helmet cams, dashcams or CCTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

h3000 wrote: »

Is there a specific law against it, I know in the UK there's one that screens showing TV/films etc. mustn't be within driver's sight but can't find it specified in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Is there a specific law against it, I know in the UK there's one that screens showing TV/films etc. mustn't be within driver's sight but can't find it specified in Ireland

I imagine he or she did something to attract attention of the Guards like brake suddenly or swerve and on that basis they'll get the fine for the offense of driving without due care and attention.

That's not true, it depends on the context of the video. Automated looping recordings of a public place do not qualify for the data protection exemption under the purely person / household activity categories. Look up C‑212/13.

Taking a video /=/ automated recording systems such as helmet cams, dashcams or CCTV.

Show me one person that has ever been prosecuted for it in this sense?

Show me one person that has ever been prosecuted for it in this sense?

What's that got to do with you waffling? Or are you saying you were aware of how automatically recorded looping footage of public areas is treated in EU case law / the GDPR and just ignored that to post specious nonsense on boards.ie?

Educate yourself a little rather than spending your time trying to fruitlessly 'win' an argument on the internet: https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/guidance-landing/guidance-drivers-use-dash-cams

What's that got to do with you waffling? Or are you saying you were aware of how automatically recorded looping footage of public areas is treated in EU case law / the GDPR and just ignored that to post specious nonsense on boards.ie?

Educate yourself a little rather than spending your time trying to fruitlessly 'win' an argument on the internet: https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/guidance-landing/guidance-drivers-use-dash-cams

There is absolutely zero concrete anything in your link. GDPR and data protection is one of the most feared, exaggerated and misunderstood pieces of law in recent years. Until a case has been tested in Irish courts and someone successfully prosecuted then it can only been seen as ok to record and publish as you wish as a private individual.

I think the gdpr confused a lot of people, including the ones in charge, like the commissioner. Now everything is gdpr.

Hello, what's your name?
    Can't tell, gdpr.

Hi, where are you going?
    Can't tell, gdpr.

A person who takes a selfie on a busy, or a quite street is now a data collector?

GTFO ;)

Because recording your journey on dashcam is no different from taking photos at a wedding or taking a picture of your kid.

Or taking any picture, or any video for that matter.

Let's be reasonable here and take gdpr discussion where it belongs ;)

I think the gdpr confused a lot of people, including the ones in charge, like the commissioner. Now everything is gdpr.

Hello, what's your name?
    Can't tell, gdpr.

Hi, where are you going?
    Can't tell, gdpr.

A person who takes a selfie on a busy, or a quite street is now a data collector?

GTFO ;)

Because recording your journey on dashcam is no different from taking photos at a wedding or taking a picture of your kid.

Or taking any picture, or any video for that matter.

Let's be reasonable here and take gdpr discussion where it belongs ;)
    I think this is it, people have jumped on the bandwagon and now everything is GDPR.... its the world gone mad, but this thread is not the place for it I agree

• Advertisement

There is absolutely zero concrete anything in your link. GDPR and data protection is one of the most feared, exaggerated and misunderstood pieces of law in recent years. Until a case has been tested in Irish courts and someone successfully prosecuted then it can only been seen as ok to record and publish as you wish as a private individual.

It has nothing to do with GDPR. Publishing the recording means it is no longer a private recording for private use. The issue becomes one's privacy is encroached upon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement