Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I wouldn't have slowed down if I saw a Garda car while doing that speed.

You can't outrun the radio. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

I wouldn't have slowed down if I saw a Garda car while doing that speed.
    They would have your number anyhow and you would have extra charges for failing to stop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

M1. 50% chance it’s a norn iron driver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

joeysoap wrote: »
    M1. 50% chance it’s a norn iron driver?

North or south he or she is still a prat and is also taking public transport home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

joujoujou wrote: »

225 km/h... is that the fastest speed we've seen on the Garda Twitter page I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭JustARandomGuy

225 km/h... is that the fastest speed we've seen on the Garda Twitter page I wonder?

I remember someone being caught doing more than that on the M8 before

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭JustARandomGuy

SBPhoto wrote: »
    They would have your number anyhow and you would have extra charges for failing to stop

How? LTI Ultralyte does not capture anything other than speed. At 225 they wouldn't be even able to recognise the year on the reg.
    You can't outrun the radio. ;)

I know quite a few lads that have tut tut :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

bear1 wrote: »
    North or south he or she is still a prat and is also taking public transport home.

The northerners only use 1 lane most of the time anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The northerners only use 1 lane most of the time anyway.

That is 1 thing that makes a re-unification easier then because the "southeners" are no better.

• Advertisement

inforfun wrote: »
    That is 1 thing that makes a re-unification easier then because the "southeners" are no better.

:)

On the whole, Northern Irish residents have greater access to bigger, faster cars at lest cost. They also are exempt from penalty points issued in the south. That works both ways to be fair. Unless your physically stopped cameras mean nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

On the whole, Northern Irish residents have greater access to bigger, faster cars at lest cost. They also are exempt from penalty points issued in the south. That works both ways to be fair. Unless your physically stopped cameras mean nothing.

There is mutual recognition between the ROI and the UK with regards to penalty points and bans(since 2017). However it has some nuances, basically any points earned in Ireland are only enforceable in Ireland, so for example you could pick up 22 points (11 in each jurisdiction) and be legit to drive.

But, once a ban is given, it is enforced in both jurisdictions. So if a UK driver receives 12pts here and ends up banned, that ban will be enforced in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

There was a reason i wasnt to happy to trade in my Dutch license for an irish one. I would have been immune for penalty points on the entire island.
    Downside is you get stuffed with insurances quotes that look that they were based on at least 6 pen points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In relation to Insurance, is there any requirement for the disk to have a hologram? I ask because I recently changed insurer and the insurance certificate is basically a computer print out which I had to scissor cut the disk off. There's nothing that isn't easily forged if you know what you are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

flazio wrote: »
    In relation to Insurance, is there any requirement for the disk to have a hologram? I ask because I recently changed insurer and the insurance certificate is basically a computer print out which I had to scissor cut the disk off. There's nothing that isn't easily forged if you know what you are doing.

I was in the same situation a few years back and had a Guard tell me my disk wasn't good enough. Came very close to having my car impounded only I managed to find the original email from the insurer and plead with him not to take the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's funny. I'm in the same situation, disc essentially a computer printout. In fact, they originally emailed me a PDF and asked me to print it out myself before I asked for them to send me a physical copy. My insurer is 123.ie for the record.

There is a specific statute referring to the specs for the disc

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1984/si/355/made/en/print
    4. (1) Every insurance disc shall be in the shape of a rectangle which when it is exhibited on a vehicle, shall have a horizontal measurement of not less than 85mm and not more than 95mm and a vertical measurement of not less than 70mm and not more than 80mm.

(2) Every insurance disc shall be of paper with a white background and with a green band not less than 8mm wide and not more than 12mm wide extending along and left hand side.

(3) Every insurance disc shall be in the form in the Schedule hereto and shall state the particulars of insurance which are required in the said form to be specified together with the month and year of expiry expressed numerically.

(4) In the case of vehicles owned by a fleet owner the name of the fleet owner may be inserted on the insurance disc in place of the registration number.

(5) In the case of a vehicle which is not yet registered, the chassis number of the vehicle may be inserted on the insurance disc in place of the registration number.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    That's funny. I'm in the same situation, disc essentially a computer printout. In fact, they originally emailed me a PDF and asked me to print it out myself before I asked for them to send me a physical copy. My insurer is 123.ie for the record,

I'm the same, emailed it to me, so I printed it off (b&w)... but I'm legit and they can check it these days anyway, so didn't think there would be an issue. Maybe I'll call them and ask for an original copy be sent out?!?

Same with Chill for the first few weeks, until they posted an original. ‘ Specimen’ on the email one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I'm the same, emailed it to me, so I printed it off (b&w)... but I'm legit and they can check it these days anyway, so didn't think there would be an issue. Maybe I'll call them and ask for an original copy be sent out?!?
    It should be printed in colour, I was specifically asked if I had access to a colour printer when changing cars.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    It should be printed in colour, I was specifically asked if I had access to a colour printer when changing cars.

They told me nothing about how to print it I dont think, but I'll reprint it anyway.

They told me nothing about how to print it I dont think, but I'll reprint it anyway.

Be no harm just in case you meet the wrong Garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well "white background, green band" is specifically mentioned in the statute so makes sense that it would need to be printed in colour :)

If you like your insurance disc printed on A3, let me know....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

inforfun wrote: »
    If you like your insurance disc printed on A3, let me know....

I suppose he could cut it down to size :D
    On July 1, 1986 the Irish Government passed legislation requiring that owners of cars and other types of motor vehicles display proof that the vehicle is insured. This proof of insurance is to be attached to the front windscreen and measuring between 85 mm and 95 mm across and between 70 mm and 80 mm in height. The Insurance Disc will be white paper with a green band extending along the left hand side measuring between 8 mm and 12 mm in width. The insurance disc must contain the following information:

Unregistered Users

Stark wrote: »
    Well "white background, green band" is specifically mentioned in the statute so makes sense that it would need to be printed in colour :)
    B/W + green marker, be grand! :D

======================

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1172050745505517568

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Didn't know insurance details had been shared with the garda by all companies. Is this a recent development?

Didn't know insurance details had been shared with the garda by all companies. Is this a recent development?

I was always under the presumption that they have the technology to verify those details no?

Anyway my disc has now been printed in colour so I’m really legit now

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

A phone call during office hours always worked!

Unregistered Users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Many thanks to Peter Ian Staker for calling it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

I was always under the presumption that they have the technology to verify those details no?

Anyway my disc has now been printed in colour so I’m really legit now

BaronVon wrote: »
    A phone call during office hours always worked!

Always thought there was no sharing of data from the insurance companies - as in a electronic format of up to date details for ANPR and associated devices. Sure the garda can ring between 9 and 5 monday to friday but I was thinking of an integrated ANPR deal.

Correct me if i am wrong, but I don't think its in the wild.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

markc1184 wrote: »
    FCPN x 4

No L-plate, speeding, unaccompanied and careless driving, maybe?
    That's an automatic ban, surely, for a learner?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Why the **** is doing double the speed limit not an instant ban? 120 in a 50 zone? FFS.
    No L-plate, speeding, unaccompanied and careless driving, maybe?
    That's an automatic ban, surely, for a learner?

I think you get all the fines but just the points of the highest offence, which I don't agree with. We brought in the points system for a reason, if someone is happy enough to speed, without a full license, no insurance, on the phone etc all at once then they're hardly going to change their tune.

We're giving people the opportunity to get away with having a complete disregard for the rules of the road. You can do whatever you want if you only get points for one of them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I see a lot of cars going around with an L plate and an N plate.

Is this allowed, and what does it mean? Is the driver Dutch?

Surely it is not legal to have both.

Anyone know what the position is?

Two drivers, sharing the same car......one newly qualified and one only starting out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

I see a lot of cars going around with an L plate and an N plate.

Is this allowed, and what does it mean? Is the driver Dutch?

Surely it is not legal to have both.

Anyone know what the position is?

There is no legal issue with carrying both.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement