Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Mr Snow wrote: »

Just short of having the steel belt showing, reckless disregard for the safety of customers as well as other road users, hope to **** they strip the driver of their PSV licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

Ironic the recovery truck front off side tyre is bald as ****!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have to say them discs are quite good....

Not the usual crayon or pen scribble over the number.

Yes that's the first time I've ever seen a fake tax disc complete with perforations on the edging, has there been a theft of the original paper from internal stock?

Fake NCT's made from genuine paper has been going on years from thefts at NCT centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Rodin wrote: »
    How will they enforce a fixed charge penalty on a UK plate ?

PSNI collect it on the spot from southern motorists. Assumed the gardai did the same.

Buncrana, so a 50:50 chance it’s someone local, maybe a regular visitor, or just someone with a northern address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

• Advertisement

Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

joujoujou wrote: »

Right job. About time they started playing hardball with idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

pablo128 wrote: »

Absolutely. And given the chances of actually being caught, you can be sure they've been at it for ages too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Well done.
    But the "14 year old car" seems a bit unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

inforfun wrote: »
    Well done.
    But the "14 year old car" seems a bit unnecessary.

which turns out to be 2005 Audi A6, german motorway cruiser. 200km/h easily doable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Not to derail the thread but there's a good argument for 3rd party insurance to be part of the motor tax charge. You want extra insurance on top of that go to an insurance company. It's one way of tackling the uninsured drivers as there seems to be a lot of them going by this thread. They used to do it in Australia not sure if they still do.
    You don't need to cut out the insurance companies let them underwrite it so there not suffering a major loss of income.
    Maybe someone could suggest it at the next agm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

pablo128 wrote: »
    Disqualified, uninsured and going over 180kmh. I'd say seven days on remand is the least of their worries. Judge Desmond Zaidan doesn't exactly appreciate this sort of reckless disregard for the safety of other road users and the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Judge Desmond Zaidan doesn't exactly appreciate this sort of reckless disregard for the safety of other road users and the law.

Not these days anyway. Wasn’t a problem for him years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not these days anyway. Wasn’t a problem for him years ago.

Well he's been similar for a good few years. Long may it continue and fingers crossed more and more judges for suit.

• Advertisement

Unregistered Users

I would be of the opinion that disabled bays should double up as loading bays during business hours.

I don't know what's expected of delivery drivers and the likes. They can do nothing right. I often see delivery trucks double parked outside shops, blocking roads, doing deliveries, and there'd be a load of space they could fit into, off the road, but some of it might be designated disabled parking, so instead of risk the fine, they bring busy roads to a standstill.

I appreciate disabled parking bays are important, but they also regularly left empty, and it seems madness to be fining lads out doing a day's work for trying to get out of the way of traffic.

I would be of the opinion that disabled bays should double up as loading bays during business hours.

I don't know what's expected of delivery drivers and the likes. They can do nothing right. I often see delivery trucks double parked outside shops, blocking roads, doing deliveries, and there'd be a load of space they could fit into, off the road, but some of it might be designated disabled parking, so instead of risk the fine, they bring busy roads to a standstill.

I appreciate disabled parking bays are important, but they also regularly left empty, and it seems madness to be fining lads out doing a day's work for trying to get out of the way of traffic.

It would help if people didn't park in loading bays; I get it, there aren't any trucks there and you'll only be five minutes... Sane as disabled spaces. Just park where you're allowed. It's not that hard.

Yes I have left carparks and gone elsewhere when I couldn't find a parking space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Bull. Couldn't disagree more.

tell ya what, lets make all disabled people ring the stores in future, so they can book the disabled spot, is that what you want??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

tell ya what, lets make all disabled people ring the stores in future, so they can book the disabled spot, is that what you want??

But what if you turn up and there is already a car parked? If your not already ringing up booking a space as you say, then its because more often than not the spaces are free anyway.

I can actually see his point in it. Maybe time limiting use of it for commercial vehicles at certain times of day and having someone in the vehicle at all times while another person offloads whatever delivery it is.... should a disabled driver require the space the van can be moved.

Saves blocking the road and will save time for everyone. There are negatives of course but I don't think its a total bolderdash idea either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

...and will save time for everyone...

Everyone except the vehicle with the "Disability Tag"!

Unless they get out and run around to find the occupying vehicle's driver and request instantaneous removal - and of course that driver will immediately comply with a smile!
    :rolleyes:

If you are not disabled feck off and park somewhere else and celebrate your good fortune by walking the extra 10 / 100 / 1000 metres to your destination!:mad:

As usual, noone can even suggest a reasonable debate without the reply jumping in at the deep end and completely misrepresenting the point to try and twist the argument.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

The simple fact is that between 6-8am, when deliveries are common, the vast majority of people are not going out to the shops or to the doctor, because they're commuting.

Blocking a disabled bay in a town centre for a few minutes at 7am is preferable IMO to blocking up the street during commuting time. In all likelihood, the bay would be empty anyway.

If someone who needs it comes along, a maximum of 5 minutes for the delivery driver to clear it before a fine is issued. Car is blocking the street during this time, as the van otherwise would, but the probability of that happening is far less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

As usual, noone can even suggest a reasonable debate without the reply jumping in at the deep end and completely misrepresenting the point to try and twist the argument.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

The simple fact is that between 6-8am, when deliveries are common, the vast majority of people are not going out to the shops or to the doctor, because they're commuting.

Blocking a disabled bay in a town centre for a few minutes at 7am is preferable IMO to blocking up the street during commuting time. In all likelihood, the bay would be empty anyway.

If someone who needs it comes along, a maximum of 5 minutes for the delivery driver to clear it before a fine is issued. Car is blocking the street during this time, as the van otherwise would, but the probability of that happening is far less.

OR you could try reading the post i quoted. Do the hours of 6 to 8 am qualify as business hours? Because that's what the poster said, let them double up as loading bays during business hours...

As for a disabled person blocking the street for up to the 5 minutes that your 'idea' requires, that's a GREAT idea. I'm sure anyone behind them who is held up will be very appreciative of the fact that they are waiting for a delivery driver to finish his business.

Now, i really need to get back to my business plan. I'm inventing a sarcasm font.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Everyone except the vehicle with the "Disability Tag"!

Unless they get out and run around to find the occupying vehicle's driver and request instantaneous removal - and of course that driver will immediately comply with a smile!
    :rolleyes:

If you are not disabled feck off and park somewhere else and celebrate your good fortune by walking the extra 10 / 100 / 1000 metres to your destination!:mad:

I was playing devils advocate, but the point I was making is that should a van be parked in a disabled spot for 5 mins in the morning, traffic would flow better (depending on the location of course).

Take the area I live in for example. Shop has two spaces outside one disabled one not. Every morning a van turns up with the fresh veg. It could easily fit into the two spots (parallel parking) and throw the veg in at 7am and drive away. But because one of the spots is a disabled spot, they have to park on the kerb across the road and disrupt traffic for maybe 10 mins while they work across the road and back with the goods.

This would be totally avoidable if they could use the disabled space for a few mins during certain hours. As space that is not likely being used at that hour. Anyway this is not the time or thread for such a discussion.

As for a disabled person blocking the street for up to the 5 minutes that your 'idea' requires, that's a GREAT idea. I'm sure anyone behind them who is held up will be very appreciative of the fact that they are waiting for a delivery driver to finish his business.

I think that suggestion was that the disabled driver would be allowed to double-park, if there's a delivery vehicle in the disabled space.

So the traffic would ultimately just be getting blocked whilst the disabled car goes about it's business, or the van moves, whichever comes first.

Considering how unlikely it is to actually happen, it's a much preferable idea than that of a delivery van parking on the road, beside an empty disabled bay, and carrying out a full delivery whilst traffic grows behind them.

It's an idea that may need a bit of tweaking, but I really do think that something like this should be looked into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

The problem is drivers taking up actual loading bays and trucks are unable to use them. I drive a delivery truck now and then. I've never come across a loading Bay that didn't have cars parked in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think that suggestion was that the disabled driver would be allowed to double-park, if there's a delivery vehicle in the disabled space.

So the traffic would ultimately just be getting blocked whilst the disabled car goes about it's business, or the van moves, whichever comes first.

Considering how unlikely it is to actually happen, it's a much preferable idea than that of a delivery van parking on the road, beside an empty disabled bay, and carrying out a full delivery whilst traffic grows behind them.

It's an idea that may need a bit of tweaking, but I really do think that something like this should be looked into.

I can see it working well. Dublin drivers are kind and patient and wouldn't dream of bullying a disabled person (or any other vulnerable road user for that matter) for mildly inconveniencing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

On the van all to save 333 euro unless they were going to be paying on the engine size which still was under 700....

He wouldn't have even got the VLC....

• Advertisement

OR you could try reading the post i quoted. Do the hours of 6 to 8 am qualify as business hours? Because that's what the poster said, let them double up as loading bays during business hours...

"Business hours" is totally dependant on the job, with delivery drivers working before the vast majority of others. But let's not let an open discussion get in the way of semantics.

An idea nonetheless, and we need all ideas on the table to minimise traffic congestion in our towns and cities. I could have just called "bull" too and added nothing else.

The difference is, the delivery driver will block the street for the duration of the delivery. If a disabled driver does arrive during this time, which might happen, the delivery driver must move within a short timeframe. Not exactly a ridiculous proposal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement