Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭FDave

On the van all to save 333 euro unless they were going to be paying on the engine size which still was under 700....

He wouldn't have even got the VLC....

The space the van driver is parked in has garda written on it. They hardly had it towed there? Im assuming they chose to park there in their untaxed van on what can be considered fake plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

"Business hours" is totally dependant on the job, with delivery drivers working before the vast majority of others. But let's not let an open discussion get in the way of semantics.

An idea nonetheless, and we need all ideas on the table to minimise traffic congestion in our towns and cities. I could have just called "bull" too and added nothing else.

The difference is, the delivery driver will block the street for the duration of the delivery. If a disabled driver does arrive during this time, which might happen, the delivery driver must move within a short timeframe. Not exactly a ridiculous proposal.

What would happen in practice is normal motorists will park there and claim they are loading or unloading. It already happens with proper loading bays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

pablo128 wrote: »
    The problem is drivers taking up actual loading bays and trucks are unable to use them. I drive a delivery truck now and then. I've never come across a loading Bay that didn't have cars parked in it.

This^^^ all day every fcking day!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Where I live there is pay parking on one side of the road and double yellow lines on the other side. Every delivery vehicle, be it An Post, DHL, FedEx, or any other, always park on the double yellow lines and on the pavement even though there is space to park in the marked spaces on the other side. It matters not a jot that they block the pavement, causing inconvenience to those in wheel chairs and pushing prams, and also block the road.

Why can the delivery drivers not respect the parking rules, even when it makes no difference to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Maybe they should make it the other way round? Change yellow lines to the other side and the parking to the other. Or maybe the problem is pay parking ? The postie etc is never going to pay to park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

FDave wrote: »
    The space the van driver is parked in has garda written on it. They hardly had it towed there? Im assuming they chose to park there in their untaxed van on what can be considered fake plates.

Most likely one of the Gardai drove it to that spot for easier collection outside the station by towing company instead of sitting with it wherever it was parked/stopped until the tow truck arrives

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

joeysoap wrote: »
    Maybe they should make it the other way round? Change yellow lines to the other side and the parking to the other. Or maybe the problem is pay parking ? The postie etc is never going to pay to park.

They have ten minutes grace, and so they can be there for the usual 'just a minute' that is the usual time for this type of parking.

My point is they all park illegally as a normal way of parking - on the double yellow lines, and two wheels on the pavement, causing problems for pedestrians, wheel chair users, and those pushing prams. They do this even when there is plenty of space for legal parking.

Nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

joujoujou wrote: »
    Second time in a week that Bunratty has made an appearance. It's been a speed trap since forever - I got my first ever speeding fine there nearly 20 years ago - how do people still not know about it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Top Dog wrote: »
    Second time in a week that Bunratty has made an appearance. It's been a speed trap since forever - I got my first ever speeding fine there nearly 20 years ago - how do people still not know about it? :rolleyes:

I drive that road every day and there are a few people on it, who think it is Motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭JustARandomGuy

Mr Snow wrote: »

Such a waste of bandwidth and phone memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Christ lads, can ye start embedding the tweets instead of all the links

Edit: sorry, I see they are embedded, takes time to load onto the page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What internet are you on. I am on a really slow DSL connection and have no problems with it loading.

mrsoundie wrote: »
    I drive that road every day and there are a few people on it, who think it is Motorway.

I have travelled from Dundalk to Newmarket a few times in the past year

Motorway all the way to tunnel and after that it ‘feels’ like a motorway. Nearly speeded up a few times but was aware of the speed limit. It’s one of those roads where you feel it’s going to change to 120 every km but it just doesn’t. The road from to Dundalk to the border isn’t motorway -but it’s 120. And there’s a lot more heavy trucks on it. I know the reason the Bunratty section 100.

The speed limit on the M1 (going north) As far as the airport must be the most ignored ( by everybody, guards included) speed limit in Europe)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭shannonman81

I have travelled from Dundalk to Newmarket a few times in the past year

Motorway all the way to tunnel and after that it ‘feels’ like a motorway. Nearly speeded up a few times but was aware of the speed limit. It’s one of those roads where you feel it’s going to change to 120 every km but it just doesn’t. The road from to Dundalk to the border isn’t motorway -but it’s 120. And there’s a lot more heavy trucks on it. I know the reason the Bunratty section 100.

The speed limit on the M1 (going north) As far as the airport must be the most ignored ( by everybody, guards included) speed limit in Europe)

I'm open to correction but I think the reason it's not motorway is that there are houses alongside that have direct access to the road. And therefore it can't be a motorway.
    That said if you're traveling down from Galway on a motorway doing 120 it's very easy to carry that speed along past Shannon. There is often a gatso under the bridge on both sides and of course the hairdryer.

That said one of them is doing 168 so...🀔

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Lol, to be caught doing that in Muff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Muff driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Needs a sign:

"Please slow down, you are now entering Muff"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Lol, to be caught doing that in Muff.

In an insignia...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

0.14% of all checked speeding. Because of the day in it?

I wonder how many checked were queueing in traffic too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Nah.... This one (Google streetview) says hello.

I have seen people doing 80 at the M1, including myself.
    Never seen anyone doing 30 in my link, including myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

inforfun wrote: »

I do them.

Unregistered Users

inforfun wrote: »

:) I’ll give you that one.

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't think other people doing close to those speeds get actual prison time?

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

All up to cops discretion, I'd say. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Discretion and possibility they had previous form for road offences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Prison for a once off seems crazy, but isn't there that over-zealous judge in Kildare who is known for that kind of thing?

Not condoning it, but any modern 2.0 diesel will do 180kph without a second thought.

Did anyone see Crimecall last night? Some guy got a FCPN for 131kph....in a 120 zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I don't think other people doing close to those speeds get actual prison time?

There are many cases where a driver killed someone due to careless driving and received a suspended sentence. The person in this case much have several hundred convictions already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Prison for a once off seems crazy, but isn't there that over-zealous judge in Kildare who is known for that kind of thing?

Not condoning it, but any modern 2.0 diesel will do 180kph without a second thought.

Did anyone see Crimecall last night? Some guy got a FCPN for 131kph....in a 120 zone.
    they dont normally give out 10 year bans for first offenders. He was also done for dangerous driving so there could be more than just speed involved.

a bit more info here if this is the same case. He definitely has previous.

https://kfmradio.com/news/10102019-1025/disqualified-driver-arrested-after-being-detected-speeding-kildare
    A disqualified motorist has been detected in Kildare driving at 182 Km/h.
    The driver was detected by Naas Roads Policing Unit on the M9 yesterday, where the speed limit is 120 Km/h.
    Gardai say the vehicle was not insured, and was impounded.
    The driver was arrested and "brought straight to court".
    The motorist was remanded in custody for 7 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The last judge in the country you want to go in front of for this type of offence happens to sit in Naas also

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

That's interesting. Shows that there's nothing in the conventional wisdom of "10%, be grand..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

they dont normally give out 10 year bans for first offenders. He was also done for dangerous driving so there could be more than just speed involved.

a bit more info here if this is the same case. He definitely has previous.

https://kfmradio.com/news/10102019-1025/disqualified-driver-arrested-after-being-detected-speeding-kildare

The fact he was brought straight to court and remanded in custody would suggest that there were one or more bench warrants in existence at the time of arrest too.

The fact he was brought straight to court and remanded in custody would suggest that there were one or more bench warrants in existence at the time of arrest too.

Deliberately omitted by the twitter page to give the impression that they are taking a very hard line on motoring offences? Sounds about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

tuxy wrote: »
    Deliberately omitted by the twitter page to give the impression that they are taking a very hard line on motoring offences? Sounds about right.

You are 100% correct.

• Advertisement

But he/ she doesn’t give a monkey. Unless the case is heard in Kildare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

theintern wrote: »
    That's interesting. Shows that there's nothing in the conventional wisdom of "10%, be grand..."

Well considering 96,000 motorist caught so far over the speed limit 2019 at 80 euro a pop brought in 7.6million euro, nice little earner, no wonder Ross wanted to change it to higher fines , big business here.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Well considering 96,000 motorist caught so far over the speed limit 2019 at 80 euro a pop brought in 7.6million euro, nice little earner, no wonder Ross wanted to change it to higher fines , big business here.

The gosafe contract costs 10 million euro a year so they may even break even but that's before you consider Garda pay and administration costs.
    Big business indeed!

The gosafe contract costs 10 million euro a year so I see they are running at a significant loss and that's before you consider Garda pay and administration costs.
    Big business indeed!

Exactly! More the reason to grab as much cash as they can. Exactly why you will get done doing 83 in a 80 zone

Exactly! More the reason to grab as much cash as they can.

Yes the incentive is there to try to break even, lets hope they can and not dip into tax payers funds.

Yes the incentive is there to try to break even, lets hope they can and not dip into tax payers funds.

And the problem is they will be stuck on safe big long stretches doing people for 103 in a 100 zone and rarely being at dangerous areas

And the problem is they will be stuck on safe big long stretches doing people for 103 in a 100 zone and rarely being at dangerous areas

It's not like the Garda cover the dangerous 80km twisty roads. It's cheaper to put a gosafe van there in place if you want to police national roads.

It's not like the Garda cover the dangerous 80km twisty roads. It's cheaper to put a gosafe van there in place if you want to police national roads.

I’m not going to get in to a debate about it , i have at least 2 million miles done on irish roads and i still do a 1k a week and speed traps are mostly placed on easy target roads like big straights where crashes are less likely to happen.

I’m not going to get in to a debate about it , i have at least 2 million miles done on irish roads and i still do a 1k a week and speed traps are mostly placed on easy target roads like big straights where crashes are less likely to happen.

Should make them easy to avoid then.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement