Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

tuxy wrote: »
    Should make them easy to avoid then.

Spot on, i drive a 300bhp car and haven’t been caught in 15 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Spot on, i drive a 300bhp car and haven’t been caught in 15 years

I expect them to make no money from such speed checks in the future then unless drivers are too busy checking facebook on their phone. That gosafe contract is about to become very expensive to the tax payer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

theintern wrote: »
    That's interesting. Shows that there's nothing in the conventional wisdom of "10%, be grand..."

Yes, but doesn't said conventional wisdom refer to 10% of speed showm on speedo,Not actual speed. IE if you're caught doing 131, your speedo will probably be showing a lot more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Well considering 96,000 motorist caught so far over the speed limit 2019 at 80 euro a pop brought in 7.6million euro, nice little earner, no wonder Ross wanted to change it to higher fines , big business here.

Amateurs.

2018: 7.757.803 speeding tickets in The Netherlands.

Only 239.000 tickets for breaking red lights( lots of them are fitted with a camera that checks red light breaking and speed)
    I say only because is see that happening more on my daily commute here.

And i dont know, i consider blasting through red just a little bit more dangerous than doing 85 in an 80 zone.

This is from 2017 (similar amount of speeding tickets that year):

d3f32e8400a925fe512a42c1eb048049.png

As you can see, 70% of the tickets are for less than 15 km too fast.
    It is just revenue collecting.

Also rather funny:

Type of cars and percentage of owners that have received 1 or more speeding tickets in 2017 (CNG,LNG and LPG are gas engines)

a443cdec47c5d4b2b9765cecfdd9a260.png

(Part) electrical vehicle owners are a danger on the road as you can see.

Well, ok.... big difference in added tax between a EV or partly EV compared to ICE engines when you have company car. Which there are lots of in The Netherlands.
    I think it is 0% for a full EV and 8% for Hybrids compared to 22% for ICE.
    The percentages is of the new value and you need to add that to your gross income and pay tax on it as it were salary.

Conclusion:
    If it is about road safelty:
    Please fit a camera on every red light in this country. People here think they are suggestion boxes.
    If it is about revenue.... keep going like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

earlytobed wrote: »
    Yes, but doesn't said conventional wisdom refer to 10% of speed showm on speedo,Not actual speed. IE if you're caught doing 131, your speedo will probably be showing a lot more

A percentage over-reading on a speedometer doesn't make someone "more wrong" or more deserving of being caught.

It's like saying that I'm should feel worse about polluting the environment when the bin company over-read my bin weight.

Anyway, my last car speedo was spot on, my current car reads 124kph when doing 120kph.

Part of the reason so many people are caught speeding, is that it's impossible for a human to maintain a consistent speed for long periods of time and so sitting at the end of a straight become an opportune place to park a speed van.

There are dozens of much more important things to safe driving, than absolute speed, and so your brain puts these first (relative speed, road position, maintaining space, hazards, etc.)

By all means, catch those taking the piss, but sitting over the crest of a hill when drivers accelerate up the hill and break the limit as it levels out at the top is far from useful police work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

Now, thats bald!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭JustARandomGuy

Driving in the bus lane without NCT was a very bald move by that driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

Part of the reason so many people are caught speeding, is that it's impossible for a human to maintain a consistent speed for long periods of time and so sitting at the end of a straight become an opportune place to park a speed van.

There are dozens of much more important things to safe driving, than absolute speed, and so your brain puts these first

It's not impossible, that's ridiculous.
    Just don't speed. If your brain finds it that difficult to keep at or under the limit then alternative transport should be considered.
    You make it sound like your brain is about to explode with all the info it's getting, it's more than capable of maintaining a consistent speed and making sure you adapt to hazards. It's a wonderful thing

Funny how the brain seems to make one drive faster rather than slower 🀔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

I must be a freak of nature as I can keep to a consistent speed no matter how long and straight and empty a road may be. I check the speedometer frequently, usually when I check my mirrors. It's a habit I got into when I began driving and I've stuck with it since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

joujoujou wrote: »

What happens to the car? Will it be crushed or can the owner pay to get it back? Will they need to bring a set of tyres?

What happens to the car? Will it be crushed or can the owner pay to get it back? Will they need to bring a set of tyres?

Needs to be collected on a tow truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Needs to be collected on a tow truck.

Will they have to prove within X days that he has new tyres on vehicle if released?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Will they have to prove within X days that he has new tyres on vehicle if released?

No NCT so has to be towed.

The tyres would get you a fine at the side of the road and I would hope they could make them be changed there and then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No NCT so illegal on the road whatever they do about tyres. Tow truck is the only way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Anyone that gets caught by a speedvan was not only speeding but not paying attention.

They have such a narrow window in which they can catch you that changing lanes can be enough to avoid them.

You can see them long before then can catch you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

By all means, catch those taking the piss, but sitting over the crest of a hill when drivers accelerate up the hill and break the limit as it levels out at the top is far from useful police work.

It's really not that difficult to maintain the speed limit going up and over a hill.

Killinator wrote: »
    It's not impossible, that's ridiculous.
    Just don't speed. If your brain finds it that difficult to keep at or under the limit then alternative transport should be considered.
    You make it sound like your brain is about to explode with all the info it's getting, it's more than capable of maintaining a consistent speed and making sure you adapt to hazards. It's a wonderful thing

Funny how the brain seems to make one drive faster rather than slower 🀔

It is impossible, which is why we put speedometers in cars. Without one, you would have absolutely reference. Humans as a rule cannot walk in a straight line without an external reference. 130kph in a 7 new series is a whole different experience to 130kph in a 20 year old Micra.

It's not a difficult task, just tedious is all. Your brain subconsciously takes a rest in what we consider to be "safe" areas with less going on, since it's too tiring to concentrate at 100% alertness for an entire drive. People don't fall asleep at the wheel on twisty backroads, it tends to be on straight national roads. Our motorways are even designed with curves to combat this.

It happens both ways too, as we always see complaints here about slow drivers in the overtaking lane.

I'm not going to argue further with the sanctimonious about why vans tend to be placed at then end of straights, but I do believe we would have far more success in reducing dangerous drivers if the same resources were positioned on backroads instead.

I'm not being sanctimonious, I'm only this week after 6 years about to have a clean licence after being caught speeding on a number of occasions.
    I like driving fast but unlike you when I am caught I'm able to accept that it's no one else fault but mine and I accept the consequences without coming up with ridiculous pseudo-science as to why it's not my fault

You know the speed limit, you have a reference directly in front of you to tell you your speed in relation to the limit. If you stay at or under the posted limit using your speedometer as a help for your overstressed brain it doesn't matter where the pesky speed vans are, they still can't ticket you.

And slow drivers in the overtaking lane are not there because they're not concentrating, you'd have to conciously decide to stay in the overtaking lane rather, they are just either uneducated as to the point of overtaking lanes or most likely just twats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Overtaking lane driving is just pure laziness if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It is impossible, which is why we put speedometers in cars. Without one, you would have absolutely reference. Humans as a rule cannot walk in a straight line without an external reference. 130kph in a 7 new series is a whole different experience to 130kph in a 20 year old Micra.

It's not a difficult task, just tedious is all. Your brain subconsciously takes a rest in what we consider to be "safe" areas with less going on, since it's too tiring to concentrate at 100% alertness for an entire drive. People don't fall asleep at the wheel on twisty backroads, it tends to be on straight national roads. Our motorways are even designed with curves to combat this.

It happens both ways too, as we always see complaints here about slow drivers in the overtaking lane.

I'm not going to argue further with the sanctimonious about why vans tend to be placed at then end of straights, but I do believe we would have far more success in reducing dangerous drivers if the same resources were positioned on backroads instead.

I am sorry that is pure bull now saying they can't as they need a speedo to show your point. You know what may be tedious, but loads do it. If it is so hard for you get a car with cruise control

I like driving fast but unlike you when I am caught I'm able to accept that it's no one else fault but mine and I accept the consequences without coming up with ridiculous pseudo-science as to why it's not my fault

You know the speed limit, you have a reference directly in front of you to tell you your speed in relation to the limit. If you stay at or under the posted limit using your speedometer as a help for your overstressed brain it doesn't matter where the pesky speed vans are, they still can't ticket you.

I don't have an issue with speed cameras as such, I have an issue with their implementation.

It's not ridiculous pseudo science. Speed cameras sit at the end of long, safe stretchs of road, where people relax momentarily on an otherwise alert drive.

I have a regular commute and know that the van will only ever sit behind a wall or bushes at the end of one of three safe overtaking zones in a 65km stretch, so I'm grand. But it doesn't exactly enamour me to their tactics.

If I had my way there would be 10 times as many cameras, taking average speed around accident blackspots, but even better world be to scrap them and put that golden contract into more visible road policing teams who actually make a difference.

I'd even be happy with more than 13% of Kerry drivers handing in their license when caught.
    I am sorry that is pure bull now saying they can't as they need a speedo to show your point. You know what may be tedious, but loads do it. If it is so hard for you get a car with cruise control

And loads don't. Do you think the nearly 100,000 drivers caught so far this year are dangerous? The fatality rate being 0.1% of this would suggest otherwise.

I have a car with cruise control and a speed limiter.

You keep saying that they sit at the end of long straights, that's patently not true either.

How we I say if each 100,000 were dangerous. That's depends on several other factors. Like the speed they were travelling, the location, environmental factors, other traffic, vehicle condition, etc...
    Some caught were dangerous, some.werent but ALL were travelling above the speed limit!

Just own your speeding and you'll be happier.

While driving I can see the needle in my peripheral vision. Near the centre I'm doing 100km/h then depending which side of off centre I know what speed I am doing. However when I'm posting a new Instagram story or keeping my blog up to date I lose all track.

While driving I can see the needle in my peripheral vision. Near the centre I'm doing 100km/h then depending which side of off centre I know what speed I am doing. However when I'm posting a new Instagram story or keeping my blog up to date I lose all track.

It's awful, all those pesky speed cameras fault!

Unregistered Users

I'm surprised these people stop....

You could run a gaurd over here and be out tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Is that an unmarked Mondeo on the N4?

Is that an unmarked Mondeo on the N4?

Mondeo vignale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Thought they were extinct. Repo?

Thought they were extinct. Repo?

2015 if not mistaken.

Nice Machine.

I do know how it came to be or was told before but I actually can't recall...
    Nearly sure it was supplied by ford though.

CAB seizure if I remember correctly.

CAB seizure if I remember correctly.

Ok couldn't recall as they have had so few...

I know the armoured X5 was one and the latest a 2016 R golf previously known as R32....

They have some serious light set up on it and then you see the i30/40 set up a cringe... Well that is if you can actually see the lights....
    The standard for unmarked is so unbelievably poor.

Sirens have gone to pot after 2016 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"UNMARKED" for the people who can't read.

sligojoek wrote: »

Still spot it a mile away....

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Still spot it a mile away....

The Tulip that flashed it to get out of the way and then overtook at 130km/h couldn't spot it from 2 metres away.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

joujoujou wrote: »

Check point on a motorway??

Any other jurisdictions in EU do checkpoints on motorways?

No idea aboput other countries. I've never been stopped at one but have passed some at the far side of the motor way.
    They have warnings going back a few kilometres and loads of lane calming and blue lights as you get closer. It's safer than roadworks on motorways if that's your concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

They certainly do in Spain. Heavily armed stops too. As you approach, a high power weapon is pointed at your engine.

They don't seem to care that tailbacks can stretch to several kilometres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

sligojoek wrote: »

What’s your point? Hardly giving away state secrets here discussing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

No idea aboput other countries. I've never been stopped at one but have passed some at the far side of the motor way.
    They have warnings going back a few kilometres and loads of lane calming and blue lights as you get closer. It's safer than roadworks on motorways if that's your concern.

Yes safety was the first thing to come to my mind. I think i would be looking behind more than ahead for fear of being shunted slowing from 120 to zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Belgium and The Netherlands have them.

Yes safety was the first thing to come to my mind. I think i would be looking behind more than ahead for fear of being shunted slowing from 120 to zero.

As said there's warning signs for several kilometers of it coming up. And you don't come to a dead stop, groups of cars are directed into parking/rest area while others are let drive on.

Its safer then the average checkpoint on a back country road

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Didn't see a single checkpoint or Garda car around this bank holiday. Driving around all weekend.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement