Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

D3V!L wrote: »
    Are they allowed to post the name and address of the person ??

Unfortunately not. Hope it doesn’t help them get off or get a big handout.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Scaltan

Mobility App will give Gardai much more information to help in enforcement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ShylockWept

Nope, that's a GDPR breach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Name, full address, date of birth.

Good job.

That's not even funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Borgo

They have now put the post up again with his name marked out. Dont think that makes a difference now as the original was up for a good 15 mins. Thats a bad one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Looks like they spotted their error

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1229507698317762561?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tax out for over 7 years, wonder was if their daily driver.

M

Screen print and a handshake and a cheque for that driver.

It was not allowed even before GDPR.

Me being "nosy" found the name in a second and now it is not visible on the most common social media website. But it was earlier so he knows about it now. Probably some messages were exchanged, maybe even few nasty ones sent to the offender I guess.

This will backfire on Gardaí. Complete lack of any sort of professionalism there.

Not a simple mistake to make. Not the first time.

Tax out for over 7 years, wonder was if their daily driver.

They could at least have a decency and pay it once in a while after transferring the ownership.

If they have to give him a daub then I hope they at least do him as much as the law will allow along with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

wonski wrote: »
    It was not allowed even before GDPR.

Me being "nosy" found the name in a second and now it is not visible on the most common social media website. But it was earlier so he knows about it now. Probably some messages were exchanged, maybe even few nasty ones sent to the offender I guess.

This will backfire on Gardaí. Complete lack of any sort of professionalism there.

Not a simple mistake to make. Not the first time.

If they had brought him to court it would have been a matter of public record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

there's a screen grab of the original in the comments

A GDPR breach doesn't affect criminal proceedings, and you also aren't going to get any compensation for it when it was an unintentional accident and fixed within minutes. No need to catastrophise or waffle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

A '2 litre diesel Golf' no less :D

Must be hard to look at the aul speedometer the odd time on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So did he get points or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So did he get points or what?

5 penalty points is mandatory for a careless driving conviction. It's out of the judges control.

Unregistered Users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

How did they get a rental with no license ? Wouldn’t the rental have basic insurance included to cover themselves in the case of an accident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Someone they know with a clean licence might have rented it or the rental company didn't do proper checks.

Some people do not hand in their licence on conviction or else claimed they lost their licence and order a duplicate when they know the case is going ahead.

Do the rental companies have access to a database to check if a licence is valid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

tuxy wrote: »
    Do the rental companies have access to a database to check if a licence is valid?

I think they have their own internal blacklist system but this wouldn't be the same as checking if a driver is disqualified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

joeysoap wrote: »
    How did they get a rental with no license ? Wouldn’t the rental have basic insurance included to cover themselves in the case of an accident?

Recently had to renew my license.
    I have now 2.
    Rented a car at hertz after changing DL details in my profile at their website.
    Picked up car, nothing was checked.

Was also the newest car i have ever driven in my life. 1,8 miles it had.

Why are the Gardaí wasting resources on such twitter account?

It should not be happening? Such events should not be publicized on a social media website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Why are the Gardaí wasting resources on such twitter account?

It should not be happening? Such events should not be publicized on a social media website.

I think it's important for the public to see them doing something. There's not enough checkpoints on the roads simply because there's not enough Gardai, but seeing them catching people speeding on roads I frequent or having checkpoints in and around where I live helps. I share the road with these feckers.

Sure, most of them will be back in the roads illegally, but at least it makes life a pain in the arse for them.

I wouldn't say resources are wasted either, it's likely handled by a social media/PR staff.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I think it's important for the public to see them doing something. There's not enough checkpoints on the roads simply because there's not enough Gardai, but at least they're doing something. Seeing them catching people speeding on the N4 which I frequent or doing checkpoints in and around where I live helps. I share the road with these feckers.

Sure, most of them will be back in the roads illegally, but at least it makes life a pain in the arse for them.

I wouldn't say resources are wasted either, it's likely handled by a social media/PR staff and to be fair, they're on public roads.

Fair points; I hadn't thought of that.

Just seem like they sometimes take it too far - laughing at misfortune of drivers caught on minor matters. yet, they do not provide such postings if and when they catch real criminals.

Just seem like they sometimes take it too far - laughing at misfortune of drivers caught on minor matters. yet, they do not provide such postings if and when they catch real criminals.

The drivers deserve to be caught, so it isn’t misfortune. The only tolerance should be zero.

The drivers deserve to be caught, so it isn’t misfortune. The only tolerance should be zero.

Ah go wan now and get out of the park...most of them are hard working folks

why not focus more attention on real criminals as such

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I think Twitter lends itself to frequent motor offence posts and people are probably more interested in seeing cars on their news feed as opposed to posts about teenage murders, rape, elderly being robbed in their homes etc. As far as I know some regional stations have Facebook pages and you tend to see drug and weapons seizures there.

You can’t make the rules different for different people just based on ‘ah shur’. Keep to the rules and keep your paperwork up to date. It’s not exactly a big ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

If they're so hard working why not get your tax, insurance and NCT sorted, and keep your vehicle in proper working order?

• Advertisement

I would never pay motor tax if there was no enforcement and I'd be tempted to go without NCT if I considered what it failed on to be something minor.
    I imagine the majority of people would do the same. Laws need to have some amount of enforcement to make them relevant even the minor ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yeah it is ridiculous that a twitter account called @GardaTraffic only posts traffic offences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

ShylockWept - more like Jesus Wept :rolleyes:

Hard working folks pay their taxes etc so they don't lose what they've worked hard to have in the first place. Chancers don't bother following the law, so any ridicule or punishment they receive when caught is well deserved. Can't say I have even a hint of sympathy for the vast majority of the offenders that we see on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Who are the real criminals?
    Someone who has failed the driving test but is driving unaccompanied in an uninsured car that’s not roadworthy crashes into my daughter who has all her paperwork in order and kills her but according to you that’s a “hard working person” so no punishment for them.
    But who is a criminal??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

You can’t make the rules different for different people just based on ‘ah shur’. Keep to the rules and keep your paperwork up to date. It’s not exactly a big ask.
    donvito99 wrote: »
    If they're so hard working why not get your tax, insurance and NCT sorted, and keep your vehicle in proper working order?

Isn't this exactly what they are doing with NCT certificates + discs at the moment and likely for a few more months yet. Legally you should have them but 'ah shur'.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Who are the real criminals?
    Someone who has failed the driving test but is driving unaccompanied in an uninsured car that’s not roadworthy crashes into my daughter who has all her paperwork in order and kills her but according to you that’s a “hard working person” so no punishment for them.
    But who is a criminal??

I'm hugely sorry to hear that...and of course somebody who drives uninsured and causes such a tragedy is the lowest of the low.

My point is that I fail to see the point of a twitter feed that humiliates some people whop are committing minor violations....

I'm hugely sorry to hear that...and of course somebody who drives uninsured and causes such a tragedy is the lowest of the low.

My point is that I fail to see the point of a twitter feed that humiliates some people whop are committing minor violations....

It doesn’t though, apart from the odd mistake. 99.99% of the time they humiliate nobody because they name nobody. It’s good to see there’s action being taken, especially all the new drug testing.

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Why didn't Gardatraffic comment on a motorway being closed by the sulkies ? . Much easier to pull a motorist off the road while driving to work .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

GNWoodd wrote: »
    Why didn't Gardatraffic comment on a motorway being closed by the sulkies ? . Much easier to pull a motorist off the road while driving to work .

Might require doing some real work. Road safety is only important if it is also revenue generating. It's the reason why the RSA are slow to upgrade accident black spots for poorly engineered junctions/roads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement