Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Similar to usual then punisher, just much fewer compliant vehicles about so they stick out!

I may well head out today or tomorrow on the bike just for the sake of it but it'll be going to the local shop only. Was out for a walk yesterday and had to step into the road a couple of times due to some eejit that wouldn't move over on the path / couples insisting on walking side by side even when passing someone else. :mad:

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

I'd love to video or take pics bus as I'm driving a bus throughout the city I wouldn't get away with it...

If you jot down the reg, location and time and make a short statement in writing to the Gardai they're obliged to investigate it, and I'm sure they would happily as long as they have a witness statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Similar to usual then punisher, just much fewer compliant vehicles about so they stick out!

I may well head out today or tomorrow on the bike just for the sake of it but it'll be going to the local shop only. Was out for a walk yesterday and had to step into the road a couple of times due to some eejit that wouldn't move over on the path / couples insisting on walking side by side even when passing someone else. :mad:

Bikes on footpaths are common. And ignored, and in most instances insist on right of way. I was out for a short walk this morning (in Dundalk). Not quite 70 but getting there ( hopefully 😀)and in one instance a young lady moved onto a grass margin to maintain the social distance and a bike on the footpath came between us. And the road was empty.

On a different subject Cork ( if it was live) had quite amount of traffic, both walking and cars on Claire Byrne last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Haven't seen a single checkpoint since Saturday night. Driving home from work at 7pm yesterday back to Lucan and traffic was as busy as usual...

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ive been out once, and that was Sunday, and went through 3 checkpoints within 2KM of each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

keano25 wrote: »
    If you jot down the reg, location and time and make a short statement in writing to the Gardai they're obliged to investigate it, and I'm sure they would happily as long as they have a witness statement.

I would have to quit work.....

Oh and I have for very serious from ran off the road in car, hit and run, ready chef van driven at speed on the 3rd lane over on George's street through a red light with pedestrian crossing on green.

As I said why would I bother if they won't.

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Haven't seen a single checkpoint since Saturday night. Driving home from work at 7pm yesterday back to Lucan and traffic was as busy as usual...

Yeah last couple of days I’ve noticed that too. Loads of traffic and haven’t seen one checkpoint in 300km the past couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Got stopped at covid19 checkpoint in the south east.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Got stopped at covid19 checkpoint in the south east.

Where was that? Asking for a friend .....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Where was that? Asking for a friend .....;)

The're just checking to make sure people are taking essential journey.

No need to avoid, it does not take much time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Yeah last couple of days I’ve noticed that too. Loads of traffic and haven’t seen one checkpoint in 300km the past couple of days.
    Roads are definitely much quieter around Cork, but similar to yourself I've covered near 300km in the past 2 days and not seen a single checkpoint.

• Advertisement

Top Dog wrote: »
    Roads are definitely much quieter around Cork, but similar to yourself I've covered near 300km in the past 2 days and not seen a single checkpoint.

Come to dublinin they're everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭ofcork

Top Dog wrote: »

Checkpoint on Patrick Street last 2 nights.

That’s where I’ve been around mostly and haven’t seen a single one or heard of anyone else in work seeing one.

Traffic wise the M50 obviously hasn’t been hitting the post 7am gridlock but it’s been very steady any time of the day I’ve been on it. Far more going around than I expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

That’s where I’ve been around mostly and haven’t seen a single one or heard of anyone else in work seeing one.

Traffic wise the M50 obviously hasn’t been hitting the post 7am gridlock but it’s been very steady any time of the day I’ve been on it. Far more going around than I expected.

Checkpoints are random & don't last all day & night. You could drive every road in Ireland & not meet one...Or you could drive 2 roads & meet them on both.

It's taking a lot of road users time to understand that their specific journey is not necessary. Hopefully more checkpoints will appear & the message will be clearly drilled into them to stay at home. Roads should be quieter this week as more business are forced to close the doors to public footfall.

Hope the garda have a zero policy to ticketing & enforce as many FCN as they can during this time.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Keep them up there,its a dive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

These muppets need something more serious than an FCP - I think this is nature’s way of culling by natural selection - jail for them all - they have zero consideration for other road users so have abandoned their right to the legal justice - 2 years jail and compulsory education for the whole two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I know that’s NI, but in ROI is there provision for fines for not adhering to the rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

How anyone in the UK drives around without tax is beyond me considering how cheap it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I know that’s NI, but in ROI is there provision for fines for not adhering to the rules?

Up to 2500 in fines and/or 6 months.

How anyone in the UK drives around without tax is beyond me considering how cheap it is.

People don't avoid motor tax because they can't afford it.
    Look at the cost of motorcycle tax and the high level of non compliance here.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Up to 2500 in fines and/or 6 months.

Enforcement should be coming live tonight once bill is passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

These muppets need something more serious than an FCP - I think this is nature’s way of culling by natural selection - jail for them all - they have zero consideration for other road users so have abandoned their right to the legal justice - 2 years jail and compulsory education for the whole two years.

Let's get the pitchforks and hunt them down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Same as motorbikes, tax is so cheap I was nearly going to tax it twice yet lads still go around with none or fake discs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

tuxy wrote: »
    People don't avoid motor tax because they can't afford it.

Car drivers do avoid it for financial reasons. But speaking as a car and bike owner I'll admit to not taxing my bike through pure laziness. I'm claiming the record for the longest ever non taxed bike in Ireland. I collected it on 28/6/05 from Joe Duffy Motors. I drove it home with my R100A form (No Log Book). Seven years later I taxed it just before the new rules came into effect stopping you getting a garda to stamp the form and write off the arreears ;). Ah the good old days.........

McCrack wrote: »
    Let's get the pitchforks and hunt them down

We’ll have to wait for the call to arms until the self isolation is over

Where are you getting your figures from?
    Oh wait, you didn't provide any :rolleyes:

You do know that many riders carry the disc in their wallet because of the near certainty of rain damage or theft, don't you?

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Where are you getting your figures from?
    Oh wait, you didn't provide any :rolleyes:

You do know that many riders carry the disc in their wallet because of the near certainty of rain damage or theft, don't you?

If you follow the thread you'll see a lot of bikes pulled and getting FCPs or towed for no tax, many dating back years.

Posters point is fair - people hate paying tax - regardless of the price of it.

Poster wasn't making a general dig at bikes imo, just commenting on a trend in this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Should have got a fine for driving a fake M5 too.

That mattress was minging anyways, he needs a new one.

That mattress was minging anyways, he needs a new one.

Fly tipping most likely

Unregistered Users

• Advertisement

Looks like they're going to launch a surface to surface missile... Shane Ross's get tough proposals went a little too far :)

If you follow the thread you'll see a lot of bikes pulled and getting FCPs or towed for no tax, many dating back years.

Been following this thread for a long time, don't see that many bikes on it imho, and they're going to put the more interesting stuff up, not that someone was caught doing 52km/h or had their tax five weeks out on their Auris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭sundodger5

joujoujou wrote: »

I doubt you could trust the accuracy of that reading if the device was handheld.
    Surely it would have to be on a tripod?

sundodger5 wrote: »
    I doubt you could trust the accuracy of that reading if the device was handheld.

A gyroscope could easily compensate. Guns like that have been used for decades.

You would have the right to challenge it in court if you were stopped.

pablo128 wrote: »
    You would have the right to challenge it in court if you were stopped.

It looks like a new model, I'd say the chances of it not having a recent calibration cert are slim. :)

• Advertisement

A gyroscope could easily compensate. Guns like that have been used for decades.

That is a new type of gun, and no gun previously was used at those distances.
    Would have to look it up but i doubt the manufacturer recommends its use at that range.

Would have to look it up but i doubt the manufacturer recommends its use at that range.

It's a TruCAM II accurate up to 1200 metres.

https://www.lasertech.com/TruCAM-II-Specifications.aspx

TruCAM 2 laser gun is the model. They have a range of 1.2 kms.

Edit - tuxy beat me to it.

It's a TruCAM II accurate up to 1200 metres.

https://www.lasertech.com/TruCAM-II-Specifications.aspx

No mention of accuracy at that range. It says that is its Max measurement distance.
    If it is handheld even a small shake in your hand could add (or subtract) from your speed.
    Why, trigger pulled you start measurement. Laser hits upper bonnet but finishes measurement at front of bonnet or the grille perhaps. In the .33 of a sec it takes to measure it has added that length to the speed.
    Now i appreciate that most of the stuff we see here is way past that margin of error.
    I just thought it was interesting and may be the reason you are allowed a bit of leeway apart from speedometers not being 100% accurate anyway.

Well it does need to be within the 1200 metres to maintain the accuracy of + or - 2 km/h.
    I doubt it would let them get a lock if their hand was too unsteady.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement