Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone else think fines are far too low? €80 for speeding doesn't seem to bother many people and it definitely doesn't seem to be deterring anyone. It would be a minor inconvenience to be out €80 but it should be triple that. I know if it happened people would be moaning saying they're only out to make a profit blah blah blah but it's more of an effort to deter people from speeding and anyone caught speeding has no right to complain for breaking the law.

I feel like speeding is just getting worse, more and more motorists want to get their own way. I went on the N4 the other day, left lane at the speed limit of 80kph and somebody was driving up my arse rather than moving over to either of the two overtaking lanes where everyone else was doing 90kph+. I was only going one exit to head down to the butchers so wasn't in a rush :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

No, some speed limits are a joke as are some of the locations of those go safe vans.

A woman stopped on a roundabout near me yesterday because she seemed to not know which exit to take.
    Oblivious to the pile up that she nearly caused behind.

If they put a camera on that roundabout and fined all the Muppets that enter it every day, it would teach them better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

blade1 wrote: »
    No, some speed limits are a joke as are some of the locations of those go safe vans.

A woman stopped on a roundabout near me yesterday because she seemed to not know which exit to take.
    Oblivious to the pile up that she nearly caused behind.

If they put a camera on that roundabout and fined all the Muppets that enter it every day, it would teach them better.

Magic roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Thankfully those days are gone. Only happens in extreme cases. Attachment to earnings or welfare and community service is done first if not paid

Wages maybe, social welfare I doubt it. Never heard of anybody who was convicted of shoplifting/stealing/assault or fined for tax/insurance/to livence etc having their SW deducted. Anyway counter productive they would have to get the shortfall elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

joeysoap wrote: »
    Wages maybe, social welfare I doubt it. Never heard of anybody who was convicted of shoplifting/stealing/assault or fined for tax/insurance/to livence etc having their SW deducted. Anyway counter productive they would have to get the shortfall elsewhere.
    Only came in last year. Its a last resort. You find that when people realise that the money will be taken anyway, suddenly they agree to a payment plan rather than auto deduction.

It would be a repetitive cycle, if their social welfare is reduced to pay for a previous offence, they'll most likely steal or do some other illegal activities to make up the balance plus more.

The odds are it'd happen anyway without a deduction,it's a vicious circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Cocobongo

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Anyone else think fines are far too low? €80 for speeding doesn't seem to bother many people and it definitely doesn't seem to be deterring anyone. It would be a minor inconvenience to be out €80 but it should be triple that. I know if it happened people would be moaning saying they're only out to make a profit blah blah blah but it's more of an effort to deter people from speeding and anyone caught speeding has no right to complain for breaking the law.

I feel like speeding is just getting worse, more and more motorists want to get their own way. I went on the N4 the other day, left lane at the speed limit of 80kph and somebody was driving up my arse rather than moving over to either of the two overtaking lanes where everyone else was doing 90kph+. I was only going one exit to head down to the butchers so wasn't in a rush :D

The N4 limit is a joke anyway, three wide lanes with a speed limit of 80kmph, then you enter M4 5mins later and t'a a speed limit of 120kmph with only two narrower lanes... where's the logic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The logic (which I'm not saying I agree with here) is unprotected pedestrians and cyclists at the side of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Cocobongo

flazio wrote: »
    The logic (which I'm not saying I agree with here) is unprotected pedestrians and cyclists at the side of the road.

You could be right, didn't think of that to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

Imagine the cost for €2 a week, as in admin,I.T etc!

honda boi wrote: »
    That is one nice pickup!!!!!

hope it not be going to the scrapyard

• Advertisement

Mr Snow wrote: »
    hope it not be going to the scrapyard

That is something that would definitely sell at a public or even private auction.

Any idea on the year/spec of it?

Where's 'The Hillbilly' When you need him, i bet he'd love that.

That is something that would definitely sell at a public or even private auction.

Any idea on the year/spec of it?

i have no idea the spec i am only guesting the year probably in the 50s

i have no idea the spec i am only guesting the year probably in the 50s

Just looked at the twitter post itself, apparently a 5.4 Litre V8 :D

about 10-12 to the gallon if lucky there.

You're right about the tanker though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

I'd consider it if it still came with the couch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

"200 Euro to Register, 56 Euro to tax, classic policy for insurance, what an idiot!!!"

You have to wonder about some people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Well you don't drive it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Cocobongo wrote: »
    The N4 limit is a joke anyway, three wide lanes with a speed limit of 80kmph, then you enter M4 5mins later and t'a a speed limit of 120kmph with only two narrower lanes... where's the logic

I don't understand some of the speed limits. The road from the Limerick tunnel to Newmarket On Fergus is motorway standard but 100kph, the N7 for a good stretch is 100kph, but the N1 (not M1) from J18 (Dundalk north) to J20 (Norn Iron) is 120 kph.

I am more familiar with this latter stretch and was nearly caught out in the Clare stretch last year. I am aware the signs are 100 but I started accelerating after the tunnel and was stunned to see the 100 signs for about 15kms, then it magically turned into a motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I don't understand some of the speed limits. The road from the Limerick tunnel to Newmarket On Fergus is motorway standard but 100kph, the N7 for a good stretch is 100kph, but the N1 (not M1) from J18 (Dundalk north) to J20 (Norn Iron) is 120 kph.

I am more familiar with this latter stretch and was nearly caught out in the Clare stretch last year. I am aware the signs are 100 but I started accelerating after the tunnel and was stunned to see the 100 signs for about 15kms, then it magically turned into a motorway.

It's 100 because there are houses with driveways and roads that enter and exit (as opposed to slip roads for motorway entrance and exits) directly onto it. I don't know if the N1 section you mention is the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Motorway standard N roads can have 120km speeds. It came in a few years ago - part of what is now M8 but back then N8 was one such stretch.

So no driveways or acess points opening directly onto the road. (have to be slipways) and a few other things.

• Advertisement

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Motorway standard N roads can have 120km speeds. It came in a few years ago - part of what is now M8 but back then N8 was one such stretch.

So no driveways or acess points opening directly onto the road. (have to be slipways) and a few other things.

The Ballincollig bypass is another, not a motorway, but of motorway standard with a 120km/h speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Fully agree on that but the N18 after the Limerick toll tunnel is motorway standard and should be 120. The quality of the road remains the same when it turns into a motorway around Newmarket.
    There's too many houses, particularly around Cratloe & Bunratty, that enter directly onto the road for it to be any higher than a 100kph limit until passing the Shannon exit. The surface and lanes are up to standard, but the regulations will never allow it so long as those houses are straight onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mel123

How do they do the drug testing? I got breathalyzed last week, is it different to this or was i checked for both?
    Just wondering.

• Advertisement

mel123 wrote: »
    How do they do the drug testing? I got breathalyzed last week, is it different to this or was i checked for both?
    Just wondering.

Swab in your mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

mel123 wrote: »
    Just wondering.

They have mobile testers (saliva I guess, but not 100% sure).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Is the drug testing in every county now?

MrMac84 wrote: »

As far as i'm aware it is, but not all guards are trained in how to use the equipment i believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

wonski wrote: »
    They have mobile testers (saliva I guess, but not 100% sure).

Correct, they use the Dräger DrugTest 5000:-

https://www.draeger.com/en-us_us/Alcohol-And-Drug-Detection/Products/Breath-Alcohol-and-Drug-Testing/Drug-Testing-Devices/DrugTest-5000

MrMac84 wrote: »

Yes, there are 86 stations spread evenly accross the 24 divisions with a Dräger machine kept at the station and a further 50 (to increase to 150) more machines which are used for mobile use.

• Advertisement

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Whoever is running the twitter page is a bit clueless. There's no NCT for bikes.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Whoever is running the twitter page is a bit clueless. There's no NCT for bikes.

On the way apparently

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/motorbikes-will-need-an-nct-from-2022-624820.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

For nct which as you said isn't required it would be better to add no lights, indicators etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

It's a bit of a grey area as once you put the engine on it becomes an MPV which does need a test. Apparently Motorbike testing is on the way as well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement