Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

Pure luck, they pop up fast and disappear just as fast.

Basically it's high presence and constantly moving around to different roads and areas to show they're out there....

And also with 5 minutes someone will have it on Facebook that a CP has been set up so people start driving alternative routes to avoid them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I believe it is illegal to carry a knife in Ireland with out a legitimate reason for having it.

Lock knife will be classed as a fire arm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Lock knife will be classed as a fire arm...

You sure that's not flick knifes? Plenty of legit uses for lock knifes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

You sure that's not flick knifes? Plenty of legit uses for lock knifes.

Yes I'm almost sure you are correct.

Plenty of shops sell lock knives in Ireland. And if you are stopped by the Gardai and have one on you possession then there is no problem if you have legitimate reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That’s the last they’ll see of him so.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I'm starting to get the feeling the guards may actually be enjoying the Lockdown.

Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1251834950304833537

Another genius with no tax or insurance drawing attention to themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

[QUOTE

Another genius with no tax or insurance drawing attention to themselves.[/QUOTE]

We are surrounded by them - how thick do you have to be to be on the road with no tax, insurance, licence and under the influence of drugs/drink.

What do the guards do with all the cars they lift - are they for sale

Asking for a friend .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

We are surrounded by them - how thick do you have to be to be on the road with no tax, insurance, licence and under the influence of drugs/drink.

What do the guards do with all the cars they lift - are they for sale

Asking for a friend .....
    The owner has the opportunity to get it back after payment of a fine and storage charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

bazz26 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1251834950304833537

What make is that car? Very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭thebiglad

What make is that car? Very nice.

Its a Volvo (maybe a T5) - you'll see them used by British Traffic Police on older reality TV shows so probably quite swift...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

flazio wrote: »
    The owner has the opportunity to get it back after payment of a fine and storage charges.

They should forfeit the vehicle in extreme cases, or it should be crushed.

Otherwise, the vehicle should be returned on payment of all outstanding tax, plus equivalent insurance costs, and fines, and interest. If the vehicle is not worth much, then those charges should fall on the driver/owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭CoBo55

They should forfeit the vehicle in extreme cases, or it should be crushed.

Otherwise, the vehicle should be returned on payment of all outstanding tax, plus equivalent insurance costs, and fines, and interest. If the vehicle is not worth much, then those charges should fall on the driver/owner.

Jeez I'm glad you're only a pretend moderator on a, don't use our real names discussion forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Jeez I'm glad you're only a pretend moderator on a, don't use our real names discussion forum.

It makes little difference. It's a lower amount of people thatll reclaim their car. If theirs a clear intent to reclaim it, give them the opportunity. Otherwise, straight into crushing. The rack up huge storage fees.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

It makes little difference. It's a lower amount of people thatll reclaim their car. If theirs a clear intent to reclaim it, give them the opportunity. Otherwise, straight into crushing. The rack up huge storage fees.

Let them pay the fines but if they don't, sell the vehicles - might as make money for the state and we, the public, get cheap cars. Obviously only the road worthy ones, some of those cars need new tyres first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's a bit crazy the amount people driving around in a pandemic coked up with no tax or insurance. I would love to be in the gallery when these guys are explaining themselves. Maybe they'll all get away with it, crazy times can cause crazy reactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭abaddon_ire

Killinator wrote: »
    And also with 5 minutes someone will have it on Facebook that a CP has been set up so people start driving alternative routes to avoid them.
    Really? I can't do that since I follow a set route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

Really? I can't do that since I follow a set route.

Unfortunately plenty of people who need to avoid checkpoints will happily add 20/30 minutes to a journey to go around one if they become aware of where it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a bit crazy the amount people driving around in a pandemic coked up with no tax or insurance. I would love to be in the gallery when these guys are explaining themselves. Maybe they'll all get away with it, crazy times can cause crazy reactions.

Most of them have been doing it well before the pandemic so complacency is there. The big difference now though is that there are a lot more checkpoints in place because of the lock down which is catching them. Same with the insurance and motor tax dodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

bazz26 wrote: »
    Most of them have been doing it well before the pandemic so complacency is there. The big difference now though is that there are a lot more checkpoints in place because of the lock down which is catching them. Same with the insurance and motor tax dodgers.

Four times the checkpoints and one quarter of traffic on the road, so 16 times the chances of being caught.

If it rids the roads of some of these chancers then that is a small silver lining.

Four times the checkpoints and one quarter of traffic on the road, so 16 times the chances of being caught.

If it rids the roads of some of these chancers then that is a small silver lining.

It won't though as they'll continue on... Get another car and motor on..,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Yep, it should be driver jailed (3 years min) & car crushed, both off the roads for a good spell...

This should also prove to the Garda they are not doing nearly enough to catch these drivers in normal times. (Speeding should only be 1 factor not the only factor)
    Rather see no insurance/tax drivers being jailed over speeding ones.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Hopefuilly the Gardaí will drive by their house and see what class of yokes are parked there and stop them again.

Hopefuilly the Gardaí will drive by their house and see what class of yokes are parked there and stop them again.

Is owning a car on private land illegal if you have no licence?
    BronsonTB wrote: »
    Yep, it should be driver jailed (3 years min) & car crushed, both off the roads for a good spell...

Would you prioritise their space in our overcrowded prison system over murderers and sex offenders?

Is owning a car on private land illegal if you have no licence?

Would you prioritise their space in our overcrowded prison system over murderers and sex offenders?

You can have whatever you like on private land once legal but be aware customs can do one for agri diesel even if the car ain't on the road....

BronsonTB wrote: »

This should also prove to the Garda they are not doing nearly enough to catch these drivers in normal times. (Speeding should only be 1 factor not the only factor)
    Rather see no insurance/tax drivers being jailed over speeding ones.

Nobody should be jailed, take their licence away and they'll just drive with no licence. Basic 3rd part insurance should be included in the cost of motor tax. Motor tax should be spread evenly across vehicles not the situation we have now where the cheapest tax is on the most expensive cars.
    Hard yaka is what they need, burst a nut doing hard community service and let them keep their license when it's complete. Jail isn't a cure, only an extra waste of resources/ public finance. Take it out of the court system.

Killinator wrote: »
    Unfortunately plenty of people who need to avoid checkpoints will happily add 20/30 minutes to a journey to go around one if they become aware of where it is
    I take it back. Same route today, hit 3 checkpoints.

Nobody should be jailed, take their licence away and they'll just drive with no licence. Basic 3rd part insurance should be included in the cost of motor tax. Motor tax should be spread evenly across vehicles not the situation we have now where the cheapest tax is on the most expensive cars.
    I have heard that proposed before, and while it is not the worst idea, I think the yokes that drive without insurance probably don't care about the tax either. Or the NCT for that matter.

One could approach it from multiple angles.
    Can't get insurance without NCT and Tax.
    Can't get Tax without insurance and NCT.
    Can't get NCT without tax and insurance.
    Can't drive without all three.
    Hard yaka is what they need, burst a nut doing hard community service and let them keep their license when it's complete. Jail isn't a cure, only an extra waste of resources/ public finance. Take it out of the court system.
    I agree. When released, they will simply do it again anyway. And all that finance will have been wasted. For nothing.

Unregistered Users

You can have whatever you like on private land once legal but be aware customs can do one for agri diesel even if the car ain't on the road....

Really? I did not know that. Although, I am a city dweller. So burning green diesel can still be prosecuted even if burned in whatever vehicle on private property?

Are you sure about that?

Really? I did not know that. Although, I am a city dweller. So burning green diesel can still be prosecuted even if burned in whatever vehicle on private property?

Are you sure about that?

Well I know for a fact that you only legally need motor tax and insurance to have a motor vehicle on a public road.

• Advertisement

I remember as teenagers in school buying cars from the local guards to use in fields, It's a long time ago but I think we had to bid on them and wait a week, could have costs 50 quid to get a car. The odds of getting pulled in field are close to 0, cars were mainly petrol back then though. Just after remembering I submerged a Datsun in a river by accident after flying through a ditch, must check is it still there, probably a classic now.

Are you sure about that?

Yes customs can come onto and prosecute if needs be.
    Very rarely but can happen so say you have a car or van that's never on the road but you run it in it, they can dip it.

I remember as teenagers in school buying cars from the local guards to use in fields, It's a long time ago but I think we had to bid on them and wait a week, could have costs 50 quid to get a car. The odds of getting pulled in field are close to 0, cars were mainly petrol back them though. Just after remembering I submerged a Datsun in a river by accident after flying through a ditch, must check is it still there, probably a classic now.

Close to zero because it's legal if you have permission of the owner of the field.
    I guess locals could make a legal complaint about noise if they wanted.

I learnt to drive in a 1.6 second gen diesel jetta. The car had no insurance or tax but it was perfectly legal, I only drove it in my uncles field.

Close to zero because it's legal if you have permission of the owner of the field.
    I guess locals could make a legal complaint about noise if they wanted.

I learnt to drive in a 1.6 second gen diesel jetta. The car had no insurance or tax but it was perfectly legal, I only drove it in my uncles field.

Drive away, only issues really are claims.... As in if you allow a mate on and then they claim.....

It's the only place to learn, one of the lads was friends with a farmer up the mountains he just let us rip away. Hard to believe you could go into the Garda station in a school uniform and buy a car. Fun times.
    I wonder do they still do it, I often see cars in the back of the station that look like they need to be disposed of.

It's the only place to learn, one of the lads was friends with a farmer up the mountains he just let us rip away. Hard to believe you could go into the Garda station in a school uniform and buy a car. Fun times.
    I wonder do they still do it, I often see cars in the back of the station that look like they need to be disposed of.

I assume that you would have to be 18 to make the purchase and that a car trailer would be needed to collect.

I'm sure many cars are crushed and are only worth scrap value to the Garda.
    But if someone wants to pay for it and use it on private land or for parts then there is no issue.

I don't think anyone had a car trailer back them, I've a feeling we towed them away with a rope with the help of our dads.

I don't think anyone had a car trailer back them, I've a feeling we towed them away with a rope with the help of our dads.

Yes back then I'm unsure if that was legal but you would never be stopped for it.

I'm talking about how thing would have to be done now.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement