Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Why can't you just put in the actual insurance reference? It's a pain in the hoop dealing with crap data all the time where I work because people couldn't be bothered to enter records right. If people didn't just put crap in there, there'd be a more robust DB to reference if/when needed.

What do the motor tax office do with this information? (imo it is never used)
    A reliable,usable database will make it difficult to input the incorrect info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What do the motor tax office do with this information? (imo it is never used)
    A reliable,usable database will make it difficult to input the incorrect info.

Back to my suggestion the simplest thing to do for everyone is have 3rd party insurance included with motor tax. If a guard sees a current tax disk he doesn't have to check anything else.
    Some countrys do it, makes life simple as well for people taking gap years/long holidays etc, they can buy a cheap car and as long as it's taxed/nct off they go. Our system is geared towards the person has to be insured, put that burden on the car.
    If you want fully comp a no claims bonus etc you pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

That’s the system in Australia. Third party is part of the road tax so that covers you if an uninsured car hits you or you hit aa person/building. A much better way - you insure the car and not each individual person who drives it

It's a good system but our government back the cartel insurance companies so it would not work here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

joeysoap wrote: »
    Would the mobility units be loaded from this when they are imputting your new tax details or from the insurance companies?

There would be a lot of time wasted if the Gardai were using the info from the motor tax renewals.

For example, for the last few years my motor tax renewal has been in February and my insurance has been in March. So the (correct) insurance details I enter when renewing my tax are out of date a month later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Unified data base? Don't make me laugh, if we were serious about unified data, there'd be one card, with Passport, PRSI, medical, driver, social welfare and free travel information all united on it.

Won't happen in my lifetime, there would be too many objections, from both civil liberties campaigners, and the public service unions, the job reductions in state services would be massive if all of these services were properly united and managed.

unified database of motor insurance details. No idea where you got the rest of that from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭blackwhite

AFAIK they have (or certainly had) access to the National Fleet Database.

There's also a newer one underway - the Motor Third Party Liability insurance database.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2019-07-03/312/

Insurance Ireland and all the insurance companies operating in Ireland, working together with DTTAS, An Garda Síochána, and the MIBI, through the MTPL Insurance Database Project Board, have now structured the delivery of Phase 2 of the MTPL project into four sub-phases, namely:

- Delivery of all information currently covered by section 78(a) of the Road Traffic Act (2016) for both private and commercial vehicles, by end 2019.

- Delivery of driver number capture and validation capability, by end of 2019, subject to the necessary legislative amendments being passed.

- Delivery of motor fleet information, by 2020.

- Delivery of all driver numbers for all drivers (following the completion of the required renewal cycles), by 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Unified data base? Don't make me laugh, if we were serious about unified data, there'd be one card, with Passport, PRSI, medical, driver, social welfare and free travel information all united on it.

Won't happen in my lifetime, there would be too many objections, from both civil liberties campaigners, and the public service unions, the job reductions in state services would be massive if all of these services were properly united and managed.

There are plenty of other things the state could be doing instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Cool car though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Loads of pot heads and assorted other druggies getting pulled. This is actually good news.

Loads of pot heads and assorted other druggies getting pulled. This is actually good news.

Are they still not breathlizing for alcohol? Remember some Garda was on the radio at the start of the pandemic saying they weren't going to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

Are they still not breathlizing for alcohol? Remember some Garda was on the radio at the start of the pandemic saying they weren't going to.

A lot of MIT checkpoints have been scaled back but suspected intoxicated drivers are still being tested at roadside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I tend to give it away when I drive along after a few whiskey and my straw hat in the rear window of my E class Mercedes Benz......

On a serious note though, they tend to be easy to spot when questioned....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Dundalk lads certainly busy today. First one is mid Louth, second one is centre of town and third on is on a link road near the border.

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How hard is it to tell the guards you’re going to the shop?

What was the 4th, ineligible to hold a driving licence, a 16yr old?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

colm_mcm wrote: »

Fairly hard when you are 100Km from where you live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭CoBo55

joujoujou wrote: »

You'd need to be on drugs to drive one of those!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

That’s the system in Australia. Third party is part of the road tax so that covers you if an uninsured car hits you or you hit aa person/building. A much better way - you insure the car and not each individual person who drives it

Most people in Australia have their own insurance policy as well at CTP though. The other thing is, if your rego is even a day out of date an you get stopped by the Police, out come the screwdrivers and remove your number plates and the car gets taken away. I can only imagine the complaining if that happened here..."fish in a barrel"..."catch some real criminals ffs".

I was also paying nearly $1000 per year rego for a reasonably small car. It's easy to pick the best parts of everything from everywhere else to show how tough we have it, but look at the full picture if you're going to compare (not aiming that at you btw as I know your point was about tax, but that's the general way of things on here when it comes to tax and insurance in Ireland).

colm_mcm wrote: »

My guess is they fit the profile of doing further background checks at the checkpoint especially if it were a young male driving a Golf and the non essential bit was added later. A driver not eligible for a driving license or having no insurance was always going to trump an essential trip to the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Mr Snow wrote: »

When the Garda saw that ball of sh1t Zafira arriving up to the checkpoint they probably didn't even need to use the mobile ANPR to know that there was no tax/insurance/NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

fullstop wrote: »
    Most people in Australia have their own insurance policy as well

I was also paying nearly $1000 per year rego for a reasonably small car ....).

Yes, I lived there for 20 years and you do need your own insurance to protect your car against anything stupid you do.

You get the fish in the barrel mentality there to but they have the laws to back up the Gardai. Why don’t we? Well we tolerate non-licensed drivers driving all the time - perfectly normal down the country - that recent RTÉ program had a man driving for 40 years on a provisional licence. That would not be allowed in any other Western country. You get all the mammies saying little johnny has to drive to work, go to a match etc. Well little Johnny should have got his licence on his 18 birthday like I did - that is what responsible car owners/drivers do and parents shouldn’t be making excuses for criminal behaviour.

I pay 600 euro for my 1.4 small sedan in car tax (approx aud 1,000) - its very expensive and I don’t feel we get anything for it - we badly need insurance reform - we should look at the best bits around the world and incorporate them into our system - no need to reinvent the wheel.

I have zero tolerance for anyone breaking the road rules - I’m not perfect (never been caught speeding) but I don’t take the p*ss. If I got caught speeding I wouldn’t be on here morning about it - I would be tg they didn’t catch me ll the other times. People need to be made responsible for their own actions.

Sorry for long post and rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

When the Garda saw that ball of sh1t Zafira arriving up to the checkpoint they probably didn't even need to use the mobile ANPR to know that there was no tax/insurance/NCT.

Do they keep a fire extingushier at the ready at these checkpoints ?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mr Snow wrote: »
    Jaunty angle on seats. Ballbag confirmed
    DBF7331-D-03-C8-4285-A1-E7-8-C183-B8-F5666.jpg

Does anyone in this thread drive a Passat, probably the last car on earth I'd like to be in, Garda magnet.

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Does anyone in this thread drive a Passat, probably the last car on earth I'd like to be in, Garda magnet.

Had a B5 years ago, would gladly be in one again, almost bulletproof they are. Regardless of the stigma, most of the miscreants are in A4s and Avensis at the moment, not to mention a few BMWs as well.

A Passat is just a sign that you’ve finally given up on your youth but adulthood hasn’t gone well enough to get an A6. Horrible things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

One of our family members has a Passat Near 300,000 on the clock. Doesn’t trust VW to service it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I dont know if we're just seeing more posts but it really looks like Covid has been drawing the idiots out of the woodwork.

I think there's probably a relationship there somewhere in that the knuckle draggers that dont see the need for NCT, insurance and a license are probably the same sort that dont see the need for the lockdown.

"Sure it'll never happen to me".

Thg new handheld speeding guns are really catching people are fairly far distances too. 500m+ not unusual, it would be very difficult to spot a Garada at that distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thg new handheld speeding guns are really catching people are fairly far distances too. 500m+ not unusual, it would be very difficult to spot a Garada at that distance.

Hard to see when they catch from behind when sitting up a slip road....

I dont know if we're just seeing more posts but it really looks like Covid has been drawing the idiots out of the woodwork.

I think there's probably a relationship there somewhere in that the knuckle draggers that dont see the need for NCT, insurance and a license are probably the same sort that dont see the need for the lockdown.

Down to enforcement imo. It's like fishing. The fish have always been there but the more nets you cast the more fish you are likely to catch.

It's a shame really that it takes an unprecedented health crisis for this to happen I fear once it passes it will revert back as there won't be any political urgency or money to maintain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

In normal times, they can hide in plain sight, because all their law abiding neighbours are on the road as well.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Down to enforcement imo. It's like fishing. The fish have always been there but the more nets you cast the more fish you are likely to catch.

It's a shame really that it takes an unprecedented health crisis for this to happen I fear once it passes it will revert back as there won't be any political urgency or money to maintain it.

The fish being stupid helps too.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Hard to see when they catch from behind when sitting up a slip road....

Well that would be down to stupidity.
    I'm no saint and do occasionally speed while on the motorway but will always slow down near slip roads. Anyone with any ammount of common sense would do the same.

Well that would be down to stupidity.
    I'm no saint and do occasionally speed while on the motorway but will always slow down near slip roads. Anyone with any ammount of common sense would do the same.

Was about to say exactly the same thing. You can speed with relative ease in this country as the Gardai are generally fairly lazy in how they conduct their speed checks.

I say that as someone who did actually get done for speeding, though. By a Garda wearing the old (navy, non-reflective) stab vest, quite literally standing in a hedge at the side of a road, pointing the speed gun out of the hedge at me, on a downhill stretch.

If it wasn't me it happened to, I'd have found it funny.

Was about to say exactly the same thing. You can speed with relative ease in this country as the Gardai are generally fairly lazy in how they conduct their speed checks.

I think that will need to be reconsidered now that they can catch you from 1.2km away. Generally you need to focus on what's happening much closer than that distance to drive in a safe manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

its not just slip roads , its over pass bridges as well now , particlualy ones after bends

you need to have a drone flying above you at 300 feet with a cam checking ahead now to avoid them

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement