Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

No harm really. It was only on rare occasions that I would speed and now it will probably be never. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

its not just slips roads , its cover pass bridges as well now , particlualy ones after bends

you need to have a drone flying above you at 300 feet with a cam checking ahead now to avoid them

You don't need such things. Keeping at or below the speed limit (which, as a licensed driver you have agreed to do so) will result in you "avoiding them". I know from over 20 years of experience that this method works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

highdef wrote: »
    You don't need such things. Keeping at or below the speed limit (which, as a licensed driver you have agreed to do so) will result in you "avoiding them". I know from over 20 years of experience that this method works.

Your way is no craic though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Your way is no craic though

Agreed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

highdef wrote: »

it was a joke luv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Mr Snow wrote: »

It's been a few days since an E60 appeared on the Garda Traffic Twitter account. I was getting worried :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

You gotta wonder? Who called the guards. I assume it was a 3rd party (passer by etc) Otherwise you have 2 drivers, both on drugs, 1 of whom rings the guards and gets caught!! :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Does anyone in this thread drive a Passat, probably the last car on earth I'd like to be in, Garda magnet.

From my experience on the roads the Audi holds that distinction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nah, the B6 Passat is the car of choice. It used to be the B5.5

An update to the software of the Mobility App that can tell if someone is on an essential journey or not
    sure.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Oops!

Out of interest why was the car seized? It was the driver that was not legal... Is this the norm in this case? Lift the car even if insured, taxed and NCT'd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

An update to the software of the Mobility App that can tell if someone is on an essential journey or not
    sure.....

Absolutely impossible, I had 5 minutes notice of my essential journey today. I know I'll probably have some tomorrow but no idea where or what time.

Obviously the driver had outstanding legal issues and they could then deduce from that and the excuse he gave that his journey may not be essential. It was the Garda at the scene that came to the conclusion that the journey was non essential.
    Why make up tales on how the mobility app works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Obviously the driver had outstanding legal issues and they could then deduce from that and the excuse he gave that his journey may not be essential. It was the Garda at the scene that came to the conclusion that the journey was non essential.
    Why make up tales on how the mobility app works?

It had extra information on it they wouldn't have had access to previously as they can update at a stop....

Pity this hasn't been in action years....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

sure.....

:D
    But probably just poor placement of commas.

Oops! wrote: »
    Out of interest why was the car seized? It was the driver that was not legal... Is this the norm in this case? Lift the car even if insured, taxed and NCT'd?

yes the car was seized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Clancy amendment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Oops! wrote: »

It’s called the Clancy Amendment.
    The so-called Clancy Amendment seeks to penalise car owners who knowingly allow their vehicles to be used by an unaccompanied learner driver. The new law allows the owners of these vehicles to be fined and gives gardaí the power to seize their cars if being driven by unaccompanied drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Pretty sh1tty of them to be seizing cars of learners considering there's no tests going on at the moment. Everyone's circumstances have changed now so a little leniency wouldn't go amiss. Always after the easy target.

This post won't go down well here but I don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Oops!

Lundstram wrote: »
    Pretty sh1tty of them to be seizing cars of learners considering there's no tests going on at the moment. Everyone's circumstances have changed now so a little leniency wouldn't go amiss. Always after the easy target.

That day is well gone....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

A learner driver should not be in a position of a car being essential, especially when most work is closed. What did they do before the car.

Also ****ty of whoever forced the driver to commit to a non essential journey.

I agree with you to a point. I reckon it's just incredibly cruel to learners who had tests booked since March but laws gotta be laws. Still learners till you have the pink license in your hand.

This time last year I was buying a house, getting married and awaiting my driving test. My heart absolutely goes out to anyone trying to do any of those three things this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

I agree with you to a point. I reckon it's just incredibly cruel to learners who had tests booked since March but laws gotta be laws. Still learners till you have the pink license in your hand.

This time last year I was buying a house, getting married and awaiting my driving test. My heart absolutely goes out to anyone trying to do any of those three things this year.
    I think if a person has a test booked before lockdown should be exempt. They let people away with for years and now all of a sudden they’re taking their cars and possibly livelihoods in the middle of a global pandemic.

No sympathy for people on non essential journeys with a learners permit, they’re stupidity alone deserves recourse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I think if a person has a test booked before lockdown should be exempt. They let people away with for years and now all of a sudden they’re taking their cars and possibly livelihoods in the middle of a global pandemic.

No sympathy for people on non essential journeys with a learners permit, they’re stupidity alone deserves recourse.

Terrible idea.....

One can drive at 17, they could have a full licence at 17½ ....

No excuse anymore, if you can't legally drive then you have no right to be on the road...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The Gardai are fairly reasonable on stuff like this. The vehicle seized had no tax and 2 people on drugs in it, including the driver, and the Gardai attended after being called about an "incident".

Do you really think the driver had a test booked and would have it by now if it wasn't for Covid? Do you really think the vehicle owner had gainful employment imperiled by heavy handed Garda confiscation? Do you really think they were on an essential journey?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why is it so harsh? They shouldn't be driving. They don't have a license to. Their permit should be forfeit as a result, but all we do is strip the car off them regardless of who owns it. You can't let them off just because they've a test booked. I had one booked once, failed that. I also failed my second test. Would you want me to drive with a third test booked? In hindsight I passed on the third, but anyone else who saw that without context or the authority to critique would be rightfully cautious of just leaving me be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s called the Clancy Amendment.

I was under the impression it didn't matter whether or not the owner knew the person had been driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

super glad about this one. The amount of cars with heavily faded L plates and a driver who is well beyond their 20s is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

super glad about this one. The amount of cars with heavily faded L plates and a driver who is well beyond their 20s is laughable.

So, no tax or nct but they did have insurance on a 19 year old provisional?
    As for plates, my top grind is when a car has both an N and an L at the same time.
    Basically I have absolutely no idea who's driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

flazio wrote: »
    As for plates, my top grind is when a car has both an N and an L at the same time.

There could well be more than one or two drivers. It could be the family car with the children learning in it. Just give it a wide berth and consider it may be a new driver in it.

You have no idea who's in any car, btw, L plate or not.

We've battered this one out before.... Basically just approach with caution!

Though why a novice would even drive a car with L plates on it is beyond me. They're just magnets for aggressive drivers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

pablo128 wrote: »

There could well be more than one or two drivers. It could be the family car with the children learning in it. Just give it a wide berth and consider it may be a new driver in it.

You have no idea who's in any car, btw, L plate or not.

It should be an offence to drive a car with a plate [L or N] that is not applicable for the driver. [Driving school cars excepted]

It is pointless allowing a N plate and an L plate on the same car at any time. Who is driving? It just wastes AGS time.

It is not difficult to put up a vinyl plate on the windscreen of a car using a water spray. They just peel off and can be reused.

I don't think L or N plates are there to help the Gardi know the status of the licence of the person who is driving.

It's for other drivers to drive up their hole and then beep and have a melt down if they do make a mistake because of this extra pressure applied.

I don't think L or N plates are there to help the Gardi know the status of the licence of the person who is driving.

It's for other drivers to drive up their hole and then beep and have a melt down if they do make a mistake because of this extra pressure applied.

I actually found this stopped completely once I was able to swap my L plates for Ns. Not too long ago I decided to drive the car home with husband's L plates up cause I was too lazy to change them. I had forgotten just how nasty other drivers can be!

It should be an offence to drive a car with a plate [L or N] that is not applicable for the driver. [Driving school cars excepted]

It is pointless allowing a N plate and an L plate on the same car at any time. Who is driving? It just wastes AGS time.

It is not difficult to put up a vinyl plate on the windscreen of a car using a water spray. They just peel off and can be reused.

They dont stop anyone unless they have to. No one's time is wasted by a gaurd checking who's in the car regardless of the sticker in the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

They dont stop anyone unless they have to. No one's time is wasted by a gaurd checking who's in the car regardless of the sticker in the window.

To add to this, even if they did stop someone with plates up, they aren't wasting time as it's literally their job. It's like saying checkpoints are a waste if they don't catch anyone.

And on that note, of the 3 checkpoints I've gone through in the last year nobody has said anything about my L plates or asked for my licence. One of them double checked my discs, asked if it was my car and off I went.

Unless you're a scrote, as long as your discs are ok they don't give a ****e. All these learners who get caught are on their phone, speeding etc and drew attention to themselves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

DaveyDave wrote: »
    To add to this, even if they did stop someone with plates up, they aren't wasting time as it's literally their job. It's like saying checkpoints are a waste if they don't catch anyone.

And on that note, of the 3 checkpoints I've gone through in the last year nobody has said anything about my L plates or asked for my licence. One of them double checked my discs, asked if it was my car and off I went.

Unless you're a scrote, as long as your discs are ok they don't give a ****e. All these learners who get caught are on their phone, speeding etc and drew attention to themselves.

They should always ask to see the driving licence. The driver is obliged to carry and it should be standard to have it inspected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

They should always ask to see the driving licence. The driver is obliged to carry and it should be standard to have it inspected.

Well, they don't and I can understand that, they're human beings not machines and I'm sure after standing at yet another checkpoint watching car after car you'd just get fcuked up looking at them. You'd be glad when tea break time comes around...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement