Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you don’t have the capacity to remember your driving licence then maybe driving is out of scope too.

I’ve heard people on learner permits deliberately don’t carry it and opt to bring it to the station. That way the car doesn’t get taken. Not sure if there’s any truth in that theory though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Well, they don't and I can understand that, they're human beings not machines and I'm sure after standing at yet another checkpoint watching car after car you'd just get fcuked up looking at them. You'd be glad when tea break time comes around...

I got stopped in the USA and asked for my licence. 'Well, Sam, .... ' he said looking at my Irish licence, 'where are you from?' ....... 'you were travelling over the speed limit....' but he let me off with a caution.

It is just the opening question that should be asked - 'Can I see your licence?', and if it is as every time a car is stopped, then that is normal and the way it will be always.

No licence, car impounded and trip to the station. Well, they could check their magic mobility app as well, but I think that generally they know whether you have one or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They should always ask to see the driving licence. The driver is obliged to carry and it should be standard to have it inspected.
    In practice - although the law requires you to carry it - you are given 10 days to produce.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

ELM327 wrote: »
    In practice - although the law requires you to carry it - you are given 10 days to produce.

No, you are required to carry it (AFAIK). Failure to carry = offence.

Failure to produce at nominated GS = offence 2.

Maybe I am wrong, but the law always allowed 10 days to produce, but was amended to require it to be carried when driving.

[Edit: A bit like failure to display tax disc = offence. Failure to tax car = offence 2.

Normally, they do you for only one offence, but they can do you for both.]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Maybe I am wrong, but the law always allowed 10 days to produce, but was amended to require it to be carried when driving.
    Yes, as per the letter of the law (and as I stated) you are committing an offence by not carrying it.
    However, in practice, the member is permitted and directed to use discretion and allow 10 days to produce. This is a separate offence, you are correct.

It's similar to the offence of non display of insurance disc vs driving without insurance, or non display of tax disc vs driving a non taxed motorised vehicle.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'd say I've forgotten my licence about 5 - 10% of the time I've driven. I keep it in my wallet and there's been a time when I've left without my wallet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

[Edit: A bit like failure to display tax disc = offence. Failure to tax car = offence 2.

Normally, they do you for only one offence, but they can do you for both.]

You were always required to carry it.

They can't do you for both (in relation to tax), it's one or the other.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Mr Snow wrote: »

This irritates me. Right beside the golf course on the curragh near Kildare town is a large encampment of travellers that came from north London. Not a single garda gives a hoot about those as they travel all around the kildare area looking for work. Rules don’t apply to some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Damien360 wrote: »
    This irritates me. Right beside the golf course on the curragh near Kildare town is a large encampment of travellers that came from north London. Not a single garda gives a hoot about those as they travel all around the kildare area looking for work. Rules don’t apply to some.

sadly an entire thread on this was already closed in another forum. In a time where we're having record arrests for drug consumption while driving, drink driving, unessential journeys, no licences etc... and not a single bit of enforcement on our nomadic criminals.

There is definitely selective policing in place or that entire encampment would never have made it to that site, let alone continue to remain there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

sadly an entire thread on this was already closed in another forum. In a time where we're having record arrests for drug consumption while driving, drink driving, unessential journeys, no licences etc... and not a single bit of enforcement on our nomadic criminals.

There is definitely selective policing in place or that entire encampment would never have made it to that site, let alone continue to remain there.

The biggest laugh is it's controlled land of the Irish army....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

The biggest laugh is it's controlled land of the Irish army....

They are never over that far. From the army camp, they would patrol up to Newbridge, towards athgarvan, and a towards Kildare town. But the motorway intersects the land between Newbridge and Kildare. The army don't tend to look after anything on the golf course side of the town in the direction of Milltown and nowhere near Rathangan.

Every single year, the gang turn up and lately tend to stay on the Kildare town side. It's the annual burning of the bushes that has to occur after they leave. But, if you go out with a golf club, and this happened to myself and my wife, you will be told to move on.

Now we have gardai telling people to turn around on approaches to the curragh at the racecourse on Newbridge side, entrance to Kildare beside the chilling and the far side of Kildare coming from monasterevin. My in law was asked why she couldn't shop in Newbridge on her way to Aldi Kildare.

These are not poor travellers. These are on their holidays. Yes it's tradition for newly married to travel before settling down. These guys have mature families. But these are not in a halting site struggling like the ones in the Newbridge tankards garden site. The ones on the curragh now are far from stuck for cash. It's an annual joke and Covid restrictions has only just highlighted this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

joujoujou wrote: »

Is it for restrictions or is it because disqual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Is it for restrictions or is it because disqual

Of course because of disqualification.

They don't just arrest people for non essential journeys anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

pablo128 wrote: »
    There could well be more than one or two drivers. It could be the family car with the children learning in it. Just give it a wide berth and consider it may be a new driver in it.

You have no idea who's in any car, btw, L plate or not.

Why bother with L or N plates at all then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Or why not L and N plates on every car, just in case at some point in the future someone might get lessons in any given car or a novice might drive it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Why bother with L or N plates at all then?
    highdef wrote: »
    Or why not L and N plates on every car, just in case at some point in the future someone might get lessons in any given car or a novice might drive it?

The amount of people being stopped drunk and on drugs, no insurance, bald tyres, disqualified, and a heap of recent posts raging about poxy L plates. Of all the things to be cribbing about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Because they're cowards. Like I said before regarding taking the L driver's car, an easy target. Then they boast about it on Twitter like they're some kind of heroes.

One rule for them, another for us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Lundstram wrote: »
    Because they're cowards. Like I said before regarding taking the L driver's car, an easy target. Then they boast about it on Twitter like they're some kind of heroes.

It's their own fault. Don't go making them out to be victims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Someone shouldn't get away breaking the law just because there is someone else breaking another law that you perceive to be more serious. The Gardai have been out to that group already, both on the ground and in the air. They also already been moved on once unfortunately they didn't move far. Also it's not in the remit of the roads police.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Spoken like a true keyboard warrior. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

Ha, spoken like someone who has all the solutions.
    Templemore will be glad to have ya when they reopen, you'll sort them out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Oops!

Killinator wrote: »
    Ha, spoken like someone who has all the solutions.
    Templemore will be glad to have ya when they reopen, you'll sort them out

You or your superiors don't seem to have the answers/interest either unfortunately...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

Oops! wrote: »
    You or your superiors don't seem to have the answers/interest either unfortunately...

Yep seems that way.
    Mind you there is a significant percentage of the prison population made up of that lot, it's always a wonder to me how they ended up there given apparently the Gardai are afraid to take them on.

I guess it's a mystery.
    But sure easy targets and such...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Screenshot-20200430-231735.jpg

It seems it is now advisable to look up before kicking the clutch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wonder what was the item purchased online was? Why did they mention the 2km limit when that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with anything except exercise, do they like making complete fools of themselves online, idiots.

Gardaí conducting a Covid-19 checkpoint today, advised a driver to return home immediately when found to be driving way over 2km to collect an item purchased online. We would like to remind the public not to take any non-essential journeys and #StayatHome

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Wonder what was the item purchased online was? Why did they mention the 2km limit when that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with anything except exercise, do they like making complete fools of themselves online, idiots.

Have to wonder who's
    making complete fools of themselves online

Maybe this might explain more clearly why the Gardai are stopping vehicles.

There are clearly a lot of people who really don't get it, even after a month of restrictions, and it's contributing to the delay in getting the numbers down so that the restrictions CAN be reduced for everyone.

Travel restrictions will be implemented as follows:
    • there will be a nationwide restriction on travel outside of 2 kilometres from your home, except for the restrictions listed above
    Taken from the Government Covid 19 web site, not from the section about exercise, but from the section about travel. It couldn't be much clearer, but some people seem to be unable or unwilling to recognise these very clear limits.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The point is that the Gardai don't know the law. The 2km restriction only relates to exercise. If you are not exercising then you can travel as far as you want if your journey is essential or if you have a reasonable excuse for it. OTOH if you are not exercising and your journey is not essential and you don't have a reasonable excuse, then you can't travel any distance.

Looks like the information on gov.ie is wrong, talking about the 2km restriction but not being clear that it ONLY relates to exercise. Jesus wept.

Also, I note that the general "reasonable excuse" part is conveniently left out in the infomation and guidance that is published on gov.ie. Who decides what a reasonable excuse is? The Gardai who don't even know the law?

E.g. a poster on the Coronavirus forum is staying with relatives and wanted to travel to check on his property that is located 150 km away that he hasn't visited in weeks as he is understandably concerned about it being robbed. He rang Garda HQ and was fobbed off and told that it would depend on any individual Garda who would stop him. Completely unsatisfactory answer but not surprising.

Exact quote from Irishstautebook
    Restriction of movement of applicable persons

4. (1) An applicable person shall not leave his or her place of residence
    without reasonable excuse.

(2) Without prejudice to the generality of what constitutes a reasonable
    excuse for the purposes of paragraph (1), such reasonable excuse includes an
    applicable person leaving his or her place of residence (in this paragraph referred
    to as the “relevant residence”) to -
    (a) provide, or assist in the provision of, an essential service, whether
    for remuneration or not,
    (b) go to an essential retail outlet for the purpose of obtaining items
    (including food, beverages, fuel, medicinal products, medical
    devices or appliances, other medical or health supplies or
    products, essential items for the health and welfare of animals, or
    supplies for the essential upkeep and functioning of the relevant
    residence), or accessing services provided in the outlet, for the
    4 [121]
    applicable person or any other person residing in the relevant
    residence,
    (c) go to an essential retail outlet for the purpose of obtaining items
    (including food, beverages, fuel, medicinal products, medical
    devices or appliances, other medical or health supplies or
    products, essential items for the health and welfare of animals, or
    supplies for the essential upkeep and functioning of the place of
    residence of a vulnerable person), or accessing services provided
    in the outlet, for a vulnerable person,
    (d) obtain money for -
    (i) the applicable person,
    (ii) any other person residing in the relevant residence, or
    (iii) a vulnerable person,
    (e) attend a medical appointment or accompany, to a medical
    appointment, any other person residing in the relevant residence
    or a vulnerable person,
    (f) seek essential medical, health or emergency dental assistance for -
    (i) the applicable person,
    (ii) any other person residing in the relevant residence, or
    (iii) a vulnerable person,
    (g) donate blood or accompany any other person residing in the
    relevant residence to donate blood,
    (h) seek veterinary assistance,
    (i) exercise, either alone or with other persons residing in the
    relevant residence, within a 2 kilometre radius of that residence,
    (j) attend to vital family matters (including to provide care to
    vulnerable persons),
    (k) attend the funeral of -
    (i) another person who resided in the relevant residence before
    his or her death, or
    (ii) a close family member of the applicable person,
    (l) fulfil a legal obligation (including attending court, satisfying bail
    conditions, or participating in ongoing legal proceedings), attend
    a court office where required, initiate emergency legal
    proceedings or execute essential legal documents,
    (m) access an essential service, or assist any other person residing in
    the relevant residence or a vulnerable person to access an essential
    service, where the access is immediately required and the
    applicable person, other person residing in the relevant residence
    or vulnerable person, as the case may be, cannot access the
    service concerned from the person’s place of residence,
    [121] 5
    (n) if the applicable person is a parent or guardian of a child, or a
    person having a right of access to a child, give effect to
    arrangements for access to the child by -
    (i) the applicable person, or
    (ii) another person who is -
    (I) a parent or guardian of the child, or
    (II) a person having a right of access to the child,
    (o) in the case of a minister of religion or priest (or any equivalent
    thereof in any religion) -
    (i) lead worship or services remotely through the use of
    information and communications technology,
    (ii) minister to the sick, or
    (iii) conduct funeral services,
    (p) move to another residence where, in all the circumstances of the
    case, such movement is reasonably necessary, or
    (q) provide emergency assistance, avoid injury or illness, or escape a
    risk of harm, whether to the applicable person or another person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Regarding checking on property, I'm sure my folks would love to head down to Wexford to 'check on their property'. I don't think a Garda would swallow that as an excuse though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Was this Learner driver another easy target so?

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1256091939964948480

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Regarding checking on property, I'm sure my folks would love to head down to Wexford to 'check on their property'. I don't think a Garda would swallow that as an excuse though.

My insurance says I've to turn off the water etc if it's empty for 30 days, I've the water on and haven't been there in over 30 days as I never foresaw this 2km crap.
    Who's going to compensate me if the place is destroyed when I get back. I'm already assuming the new TV in the box is already stolen along with a good few of my tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Why do people including the Garda keep talking about the 2km limit when it is only for exercise.
    You can't even go past the 2km radius for non essential journeys and there is no limit for essential ones.

• Advertisement

It's a criminal rule at this stage being forced to stay somewhere you know is about to be seriously infected when you have an opportunity to protect your family by getting out of there.

It's a criminal rule at this stage being forced to stay somewhere you know is about to be seriously infected when you have an opportunity to protect your family by getting out of there.

I'm not sure how that could be done on a large scale without spreading the virus to new areas.

Gemma O'Doherty and John Waters will have their say on it next week in the high court so be sure to give them your support.

I don't think there up to much, the common good will trump them. Not convinced separating families and forcing people to stay where there is an outbreak if there not infected is in the common good though. That's downright dumb, check their temperature and let them get out of dodge.
    I can feel it creeping closer, was 10 miles away yesterday, 5 miles today...getting close to renting a Transit, dying my hair red and blasting through checkpoints to safety.

Imagine if it was as easy as checking temperature and a very long incubation was not common. We'd probably have it beaten now, I guess one can dream.

We done the right thing along with my relatives and now because of one stupid employer they've caused a huge risk locally. We're ok, we know it as we followed the asks. I didn't feel like a prisoner until today, afraid to go the shops and can't legally escape to our safe house. You must stay within 2/5km and get the virus.
    Time for the guards to be given some real powers to stop confirmed and awaiting results cases to force them stay at home.
    The HSE need to be feeding the details of these people to the guards and making sure they stfah they also need to be saying where these clusters are rather than doing it on a county basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

My insurance says I've to turn off the water etc if it's empty for 30 days, I've the water on and haven't been there in over 30 days as I never foresaw this 2km crap.
    Who's going to compensate me if the place is destroyed when I get back. I'm already assuming the new TV in the box is already stolen along with a good few of my tools.

You are not forced to stay there if you can establish that the move is "reasonably necessary"; they key point being tht you can move there, i.e.not simply head for a visit or check up.

(p) move to another residence where, in all the circumstances of the
    case, such movement is reasonably necessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

No one. I put abc123 every time without fail.

oh ffs. the trouble i go to filling that stuff in and for no reason.

thanks for the tip mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement