Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭wassie

liamog wrote: »
    I've not been affected by the enforcement of speeds on motorways, I generally drive with cruise control on at the speed limit. However, my car was was hit by a motorbike who ran a red light in a 50km/h zone, and have had a couple of close calls as a pedestrian by people barrelling though after the man has gone green.

In Australia they have red light & speed cameras at high risk traffic light controlled intersections. Peeps who speed up to run red lights in turn get fined & penalty points twice - once for speeding and once for running a red light. Problem sorted!

Given the Garda have only been issued with their new mobility app toy in the last few months whist other countries have had similar tech for the best part of a decade, could be years before we see anything of the sort here. At least the mobility app makes their Twitter feed interesting now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

You are speaking of a perfect world and that all people have the driving ability. You are not the only person on the road and the point of the speed limit is that for everyone to be aware and careful of everyone on the road. 150 is not dangerous in ideal conditions but with fog ice rain etc it sure as hell could be

Exactly and include in that group drivers who have never passed a test - there are loads of them out there - just because you can drive safely at 150km, doesn't mean any of the drivers around you can drive safely at 120km.

Slow down and arrive alive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Exactly and include in that group drivers who have never passed a test - there are loads of them out there - just because you can drive safely at 150km, doesn't mean any of the drivers around you can drive safely at 120km.

Slow down and arrive alive

Assuming you mean the amnesty of 1979, I think this gets overblown a bit. It's estimated that between 25'000 and 50'000 people in 1979 got licenses with no test. This number can only have gotten smaller with emigration, death, illness, not renewing licenses etc. in the 40 years since, and they'll mostly be 60+ at this stage. There's over 3 million licenses in the state at the moment. Taking a midpoint of 37'500 and applying a bit of attrition, plus foreign licenses etc. I'd say far fewer than 1% of drivers you encounter will have never passed the test.

In any case it's academic since even in 2020 our driving test has no motorway section in it, so passing a test proves nothing about your ability to handle motorway driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1261636426787061760

Judging by the photo in the equipment they were nabbed from a patrol car parked on an overpass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Surprised they caught up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

colm_mcm wrote: »

They must have red lined the Hyundai, then pulled him on a straight white line with a truck coming the other direction all while taking Twitter friendly pictures on their phone. You'd have to question the logic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

They must have red lined the Hyundai, then pulled him on a straight white line with a truck coming the other direction all while taking Twitter friendly pictures on their phone. You'd have to question the logic.

They do have radios and other patrol cars that can be coordinated.

The logic is punishing scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Assuming you mean the amnesty of 1979, I think this gets overblown a bit. It's estimated that between 25'000 and 50'000 people in 1979 got licenses with no test. This number can only have gotten smaller with emigration, death, illness, not renewing licenses etc. in the 40 years since, and they'll mostly be 60+ at this stage. There's over 3 million licenses in the state at the moment. Taking a midpoint of 37'500 and applying a bit of attrition, plus foreign licenses etc. I'd say far fewer than 1% of drivers you encounter will have never passed the test.

In any case it's academic since even in 2020 our driving test has no motorway section in it, so passing a test proves nothing about your ability to handle motorway driving.

Followed this up a bit to get an answer, and it seems 45'000 got licenses through the amnesty:

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/1979-11-27/43

The pass rate at the time was 50%, so realistically only 25'000 or so of those licenses can be classed as undeserved and unsafe:

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/1979-11-28/24

For posterity, the amnesty also only applied to those on a second Provisional License for a Car or Motorbike who had a driving test booked before the 11th of October 1979. So tales of aunties and grannies having truck licenses or getting every vehicle category ticked on their license just by filling the form in are total horsesh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Followed this up a bit to get an answer, and it seems 45'000 got licenses through the amnesty:

The pass rate at the time was 50%, so realistically only 25'000 or so of those licenses can be classed as undeserved and unsafe:

For posterity, the amnesty also only applied to those on a second Provisional License for a Car or Motorbike who had a driving test booked before the 11th of October 1979. So tales of aunties and grannies having truck licenses or getting every vehicle category ticked on their license just by filling the form in are total horsesh*t.

I know someone who got one, and kept it renewed, but recently stopped renewing it. She has never driven since getting it. Probably quite a few like that.

I would be in favour of having all of them retested - or tested, at zero fee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

[QUOTE=

For posterity, the amnesty also only applied to those on a second Provisional License for a Car or Motorbike who had a driving test booked before the 11th of October 1979. So tales of aunties and grannies having truck licenses or getting every vehicle category ticked on their license just by filling the form in are total horsesh*t.[/QUOTE]

It is total horsepoo but it does'nt stop the poo shovellers on here who regularly preach this $h!te. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

UK licences had all categories ticked in them for a good while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

My father in law ticked every single thing. He has a valid license for everything and has driven bin trucks, large horse box trucks and he claims an artic once. Never done a test in his life and a scary driver to be with. Drops his speed to look into every open hole in a bush. I insist on driving for longer distance trips.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

bazz26 wrote: »

Judging by the photo in the equipment they were nabbed from a patrol car parked on an overpass.

colm_mcm wrote: »

This is the overpass after the toll bridge bypass in Waterford. They pulled him after the end of the dual carriage way after Kilmeaden.

8km down the road.

Be fairly easy to catch up with somebody doing 160km/h tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

sweet_trip wrote: »
    This is the overpass after the toll bridge bypass in Waterford. They pulled him after the end of the dual carriage way after Kilmeaden.

8km down the road.

Be fairly easy to catch up with somebody doing 160km/h tbh.

I just looked up top speed for the Hyundai's. An i40 1.7d has a top speed of 200 kph. An ix35 has between 173 and 178. But I suppose they can call ahead too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Assuming you mean the amnesty of 1979, I think this gets overblown a bit. ......

Actually I was referring to the people with learner permits and no licence at all but can include the “give them a licence” brigade as well.

We should have a zero tolerance to road rule ignorers - regardless if they Speed or drive without the proper paper work and stop with the insurance is too high, lists too long for applying for a licence, catching fish in a barrel BS, if you don’t brake the rules, there is not fish in a barrel.

Our lives literally depend on every driver adhering to the rules of the road - driving safely, adhering to the speed limit, being insured, having a NCT’d car, having a licence to drive - no-one’s perfect and I have never been caught speeding but the level of lawlessness of the Irish roads is staggering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I know this road very well and they are usually in a lay-by on one side of the road,looks like now they are on the overpass catching cars going the other way.

My wife was pulled over by Traffic Corps yesterday (She has never so much has had a penalty point or anything else). They did not practice even basic hand hygiene or any form of social distancing. My wife is a nurse and was quite distressed by it. She really can't afford to catch Covid-19 through incompetence. She didn't say anything at the time as she was in shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

My wife was pulled over by Traffic Corps yesterday (She has never so much has had a penalty point or anything else). They did not practice even basic hand hygiene or any form of social distancing. My wife is a nurse and was quite distressed by it. She really can't afford to catch Covid-19 through incompetence. She didn't say anything at the time as she was in shock.

What did she do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

If your wife is a nurse, a trained health professional with experience of pressured and highly traumatic and sometimes end of life situation, I'm surprised she was in "shock" getting stopped by a garda for some alleged driving transgression

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If you feel you have a genuine grievance you are entitled to make a complaint to the Garda ombudsman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Tell her to keep to the speed limits.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

McCrack wrote: »
    If your wife is a nurse, a trained health professional with experience of pressured and highly traumatic and sometimes end of life situation, I'm surprised she was in "shock" getting stopped by a garda for some alleged driving transgression

Actually she was stopped for no apparent reason. Never been stopped before, never had a point etc. They searched the car and then told her to go on. I think anyone would be shocked in such a situation and lack of regards for Covid-19 measures. Obviously they had a reason but I think there is no excuse for how they behaved with respect to Covid-19 rules. As the other poster pointed out, she can make a complaint to the local station and ombudsman.

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Actually she was stopped for no apparent reason. Never been stopped before, never had a point etc. They searched the car and then told her to go on. I think anyone would be shocked in such a situation and lack of regards for Covid-19 measures. Obviously they had a reason but I think there is no excuse for how they behaved with respect to Covid-19 rules. As the other poster pointed out, she can make a complaint to the local station and ombudsman.

Just for perspective. I’ve been stopped twice by gardai and as soon as they stuck their head into the car, I got waved on with a quick apology. Doesn’t bother me. My theory, as I have seen the other car, is a local criminal has the exact same colour car and a very close reg plate number. They thought I was him and they made a stop. To further confirm my theory, if I pass a garda car in town, they nearly strain their necks looking out to see who is in the car. They are doing their job so I’m actually delighted.

Unregistered Users

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The mobility app seems to be working well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Another trip to court ain't going to bother them. It does make you question our judicial system where you can just keep accumulating driving bans without having more severe punishment applied or even that someone would notice that adding another driving ban just won't work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Another trip to court ain't going to bother them. It does make you question our judicial system where you can just keep accumulating driving bans without having more severe punishment applied or even that someone would notice that adding another driving ban just won't work.

A month in the clink sharing with Mr. Big might encourage them change their ways? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

A month in the clink sharing with Mr. Big might encourage them change their ways? ;)

I'm sure it would BUT that's the issue, they ain't getting that as punishment!
    (Free to keep driving & accumulate bans) :mad:

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

BronsonTB wrote: »
    I'm sure it would BUT that's the issue, they ain't getting that as punishment!
    (Free to keep driving & accumulate bans) :mad:

The DJ could imprison them for 6 months.

Unregistered Users

Constantly retweeting the old pride flag is getting a bit jarring do we really need the guards virtue signalling every day we'll have enough of it by the end of next month. It's about as far from an all inclusive symbol as you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Constantly retweeting the old pride flag is getting a bit jarring do we really need the guards virtue signalling every day we'll have enough of it by the end of next month. It's about as far from an all inclusive symbol as you can get.

The Gardai should never have adopted the symbol of political faction in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Off topic - Read about the new HSE campaign 'Hold Firm'. The campaign takes inspiration from the words of President Michael D Higgins, written in his 1993 poem, Take Care......

Knock yourself out with more info here - https://healthservice.hse.ie/staff/news/coronavirus/hse-hold-firm-campaign.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't think #holdfirm has anything to do with Pride and how could they trademark a rainbow, which occurs naturally?

I don't think #holdfirm has anything to do with Pride and how could they trademark a rainbow, which occurs naturally?

Hashtag just sounds wrong with the pride flag, what exactly are we meant to hold firm, it's the last flag before the current one where they dropped pink due to the pink fabric shortage. There's a world of symbols they could of used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Hashtag just sounds wrong with the pride flag, what exactly are we meant to hold firm, it's the last flag before the current one where they dropped pink due to the pink fabric shortage. There's a world of symbols they could of used.

It's a rainbow, not the pride flag.

The only problem with the symbol is your perception of it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Pink? Isn't a color typically associated with a rainbow.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement