Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Who is going to do nct testing of motorcycles? Can you become a qualified motorcycle mechanic in Ireland?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

NCT for bikes will never happen here, not enough motorbike mechanics in the country as it is.

Bikers aren't going to hand over their pride and joy to a car mechanic that will likely drop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Who is going to do nct testing of motorcycles? Can you become a qualified motorcycle mechanic in Ireland?

This.

There is a long way to go before they introduce this. Are they training the current staff motorbike mechanics ? I know of plenty of bike mechanics that I am not sure if they are qualified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Pugzilla wrote: »
    NCT for bikes will never happen here, not enough motorbike mechanics in the country as it is.

Bikers aren't going to hand over their pride and joy to a car mechanic that will likely drop it.

Probably have to get it tested in a local NCT centre or bike dealership.

It'll happen, i remember in 1999 when they were getting ready to bring in the nct and people said it wouldn't work, now whether it has or not is open to debate, but what has worked is it's a serious cash intake for the government.

I'm waiting for the day when they'll introduce a fee for a visual inspection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

this will go off topic of garda twitter really fast so we will leave it there, as it stands there's no NCT for bikes so the tweet was just incorrect

It'll happen, i remember in 1999 when they were getting ready to bring in the nct and people said it wouldn't work, now whether it has or not is open to debate, but what has worked is it's a serious cash intake for the government.

Unlike cars, there's feck all motorbikes in this country, especially outside Dublin. Can't see them setting up staff and facilities across the country for bike testing. Not enough money in it.
    I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Pugzilla wrote: »

There are loads of lawnmower service places though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

GM228 wrote: »
    €125 for the first day + €35 per each day thereafter.

What, wait hold on a second, so you don't even need to tax it to get it released if it's brought in with no tax? Surely you can't just drive it off still with no tax. What a saving.

As a Motorcyclist, I personally wouldn't have any issue with my bike been tested. Provided, the tester is firstly qualified to test said bike and has a clue, knows how to drive a motorcycle, doesn't damage it and isn't a massive fee to test it.

And as a Motorcyclist there are a fair few bikes on the road that clearly are fit for nothing more than a scrap heap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

TallGlass wrote: »
    What, wait hold on a second, so you don't even need to tax it to get it released if it's brought in with no tax? Surely you can't just drive it off still with no tax. What a saving.

You can't drive it off, no, as it's an offence to drive an untaxed car on the road.
    But if you turned up and paid the release fee - you can trailer it home.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    You can't drive it off, no, as it's an offence to drive an untaxed car on the road.

Trailer it around the corner. What about no insurance? Sure a tow truck is only 100€.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

TallGlass wrote: »
    €125 for the first day + €35 per each day thereafter.

Nope, no requirement to pay the tax arrears for release.

ELM327 wrote: »

You can drive it off, yes it's illegal to do so, but that's the risk you take.

Gannons state they will not release a vehicle seized for lack of tax (to be driven away) unless tax has been paid including the arrears, but, they have no lawful authority to do so.

They can only lawfully refuse the release of a vehicle to be driven away where no valid insurance is in place for whomever is driving it away and a driving licence - the driver must produce both.

Gannons state they will not release a vehicle seized for lack of tax (to be driven away) unless tax has been paid including the arrears, but, they have no lawful authority to do so.

So what do you say to Gannons to get them to give you the car?

That's literally unbelievable. You could go years on end without tax, just paying fines of 80€ when tax for the year could be in the thousands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Its in their interest for a car to be held as long as possible. Racks up a nice storage cost. Its like the company that tow cars off the M50 for free on Garda direction (Their based in Kilmacanogue) Sure, its free for the tow, but the storage fee is outrageous which you have to stump and you can't object to the tow from them.

I doubt it will, what exactly will they test for and who will test it? Theres not enough mechanics and not a chance id be letting someone rev the feck out of it cause they want to hear a bit of noise.

Theres no machine you can put it up onto to check anything meaningful.

If it was a proper setup I actually wouldn't mind it being done on mine for piece of mind, once its half the price it costs me to put the car through because it should take 4 minutes to do.

Half the couriers in Ireland are riding absolute death traps, half of them need coming off the road.

Saw a courier bike pulled up when i was outside my office the other day, when i told him his chain was about to fail (never seen one so bad) and his tyres were down to nearly the metal was basically told to pi55 off. These lads shouldnt be on the road on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

When i look around, it is about the only colour i see on cars.
    Probably cheaper motor tax that way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

inforfun wrote: »
    When i look around, it is about the only colour i see on cars.
    Probably cheaper motor tax that way :D

Everyone knows that silver cars are the fastest.:pac:

Did I mention my 2 cars are silver?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Bit in the circle looks like a pound sign

Screenshot_20170819-145148_01.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I can never understand these people. If they have access to someone's disabled parking permit (most likely family or friend) they know exactly how much the permit holders need these spaces and yet the ****ers still abuse it. It absolutely infuriates me.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

h3000 wrote: »
    I can never understand these people. If they have access to someone's disabled parking permit (most likely family or friend) they know exactly how much the permit holders need these spaces and yet the ****ers still abuse it. It absolutely infuriates me.

Ah but they have a disability themselves ,its called lazy f**ker syndrome !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There should be a proper deterent of seizure of the car and sale of it with the proceeds going to a charity for those with disabilities. That Yaris in the tweet is worth a nice few quid, would easily fetch €5k even at the worst possible auction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

No surprise, Donegal is full of lunatic drivers. The accident rate up there reflects that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Especially as there are so few spaces in Dublin. Had a disabled passenger a few times and is usually near impossible to find a free disabled spot (or even when you do they are insufficient as they don't have the clearance to get wheelchairs etc out)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

honda boi wrote: »
    Ah but they have a disability themselves ,its called lazy f**ker syndrome !

Perhaps they were dropping a disabled person to the shops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why can't they enforce bus stop rules and parking on corners and pedestrian lights.....???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Mr Snow wrote: »

Good. Another accident waiting to happen hopefully taken off the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Chiparus wrote: »

In that case, it wouldn't be a wrongful use of the permit. The permit is for a person, not a vehicle, so it can be used for any car that the person is a driver or passenger in. If the driver was dropping the permit-holder to the shop, it would be perfectly legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Go to Liffey Valley and look at the disabled spaces. There's 8-10 of them at the main entrance I think, half of them never have any permits and are usually flash new Mercs or something. Same with the motorbike spaces that has a car sticking out of it when there's plenty of free spaces down the aisle beside it. Absolute laziness. It's disgraceful pretending you need a space for being a lazy prick when there's people out there with genuine difficulty in their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Courtesy and respect still do though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Go to Liffey Valley and look at the disabled spaces. There's 8-10 of them at the main entrance I think, half of them never have any permits and are usually flash new Mercs or something. Same with the motorbike spaces that has a car sticking out of it when there's plenty of free spaces down the aisle beside it. Absolute laziness. It's disgraceful pretending you need a space for being a lazy prick when there's people out there with genuine difficulty in their lives.

For the parking spaces for motorbikes, they aren't very obvious that they're for bikes. They look like regular car spaces, there's no markings on the ground and the sign is well away from the space itself. I inadvertently parked in one myself a while ago and didn't realise it was for bikes until walking away. I've never seen bikes in them either, they usually park around the bike racks or entrances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Not at all, peoples own actions speak for themselves...just pointing out the fact that private land or not, it says more about the person abusing the space than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Why can't they enforce bus stop rules and parking on corners and pedestrian lights.....???

Because putting on the hazard lights acts like a forcefield preventing anyone getting a ticket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

Chiparus wrote: »

If they were they wouldn't have gotten a FCPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

ThisRegard wrote: »
    For the parking spaces for motorbikes, they aren't very obvious that they're for bikes. They look like regular car spaces, there's no markings on the ground and the sign is well away from the space itself. I inadvertently parked in one myself a while ago and didn't realise it was for bikes until walking away. I've never seen bikes in them either, they usually park around the bike racks or entrances.

We might be talking about different spaces! I know the ones beside Marks & Spencers have a sign in front of them and are clearly too small for even a small hatchback and there's 3-4 lines to allocate each bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Mr Snow wrote: »

I was on the N2 today. It's 100 most of the way. But there was a stretch south of Monaghan town, near Clobtibret, and on a straight and wide stretch they have stuck up 60 for about 1 km. wtf is that about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

joeysoap wrote: »
    I was on the N2 today. It's 100 most of the way. But there was a stretch south of Monaghan town, near Clobtibret, and on a straight and wide stretch they have stuck up 60 for about 1 km. wtf is that about?

For road works....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

DaveyDave wrote: »
    We might be talking about different spaces! I know the ones beside Marks & Spencers have a sign in front of them and are clearly too small for even a small hatchback and there's 3-4 lines to allocate each bike.

Maybe this was a car space that was in the process of being allocated to bikes. It hadn't markings for bikes but it also didn't have the regular lines for cars, but there was a sign at the end of the aisle behind some shrubbery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

honda boi wrote: »
    If they were they wouldn't have gotten a FCPN.

Receiving a FCPN does not mean an automatic guilt.

I know of at least one case where the accused stated they had been using the space to collect/drop the pass owner (the pass owner confirmed) and successfully defeated the charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Receiving a FCPN does not mean an automatic guilt.

I know of at least one case where the accused stated they had been using the space to collect/drop the pass owner (the pass owner confirmed) and successfully defeated the charge.

This thread's got me thinking about that - it could be hard to prove you were dropping the person off. My gran has one as she can't walk very far unaided, and when I'm with her, I've often parked in a spot with her permit to walk her in to wherever she needs to go. If I drop her somewhere and leave her there, the guards may well think I was misusing the permit if they saw me come back out without her... Would they go in to the shopping centre/restaurant/doctor's clinic/wherever to prove she was there, I wonder?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They said they took the permit, so would have needed to speak with the owner of the car. Sounds like they confirmed at the time that no-one was waiting for anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

This thread's got me thinking about that - it could be hard to prove you were dropping the person off. My gran has one as she can't walk very far unaided, and when I'm with her, I've often parked in a spot with her permit to walk her in to wherever she needs to go. If I drop her somewhere and leave her there, the guards may well think I was misusing the permit if they saw me come back out without her... Would they go in to the shopping centre/restaurant/doctor's clinic/wherever to prove she was there, I wonder?

An incident last week got me thinking the same thing, I was dropping my grandfather at the hospital (he has a disabled parking permit) so I used one of the disabled parking spots near the door so he wouldn’t have to walk too far. As we started to walk away from the car this woman pulled up and started yelling about how I was abusing the parking permit and that she was going to get security and the guards to come and deal with me, anybody with half a brain could see my grandfather couldn’t walk far.

Fortunately she was gone when I came back and that was the end of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement