Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I got stopped recently at a coved 19 checkpoint. They didn’t check licence, tax etc, just discussed by job - can I assume they had a hand held gizmo and knew I was compliant before they spoke to me?

I’m all for stricter penalties - they need speed cameras every km to catch some of these numpties then build new jails and lock them up - being allowed to drive is not a right its a privilege - ignore rules and lose that privilege

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Are there still checkpoints in operation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Top Dog wrote: »

Was last week, didn't see any this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Haven’t seen any the last 8 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Was last week, didn't see any this weekend.
    The tweet above with the silver Focus and driver serving a 25 year ban was dated 24/05 :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Top Dog wrote: »

I was stopped on the Merrion Road near Shrewsberry Road. Full strength one for both directions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Jesus smoking Heroin while driving...didn't think that was even possible.
    Does something else show up as Heroin with the drager?, nurofen plus is meant to throw a positive for cocaine if you were to believe Google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Jesus smoking Heroin while driving...didn't think that was even possible.
    Does something else show up as Heroin with the drager?, nurofen plus is meant to throw a positive for cocaine if you were to believe Google.

Opioid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

Nurofen plus contains codeine, which is an opioid, and you should't drive while taking it.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/icrime/driver-banned-after-codeine-dose-178962.html

It does not matter if you take it for medical purposes as opposed to recreational use, you are still impaired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Cordell wrote: »
    Nurofen plus contains codeine, which is an opioid, and you should't drive while taking it.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/icrime/driver-banned-after-codeine-dose-178962.html

It does not matter if you take it for medical purposes as opposed to recreational use, you are still impaired.

Affected possibly/probably but not necessarily IMPAIRED,

https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Medicines%20and%20Driving.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes, it depends on the dose and on the individual, and that is true for both recreational and medical use. But if you are impaired it will not matter much which one was it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Checkpoints still in operation - I was stopped on the Clonmel to Fethard road this afternoon - stopping everyone in both directions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The caravan on to the car with no hitch, jaysus what goes through people's minds.

... you are still impaired....
    ... if you are impaired...

Yes there is the difference - IF you are impared...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Aston martin

202 KPH seems like Garda PR , there are very few cars that can do that speed .. If you look at the picture the Garda have up it says -202 KPH no picture of a car just you see the reflection of a Garda .. I have driven M50 for years never saw a fixed Garda camera road side check .. if you saw a car doing 130 KPH that would be fast 150 KPH would be mad -202 is not real.. Was the car stopped ,was there an arrest .... reminds me of the the fairy tale of the 2 million breath test..

The caravan on to the car with no hitch, jaysus what goes through people's minds.

Culture boss, the shirt and gold ring says enough for me....

Most likely travel from Wexford

I had to ditch the ring, kept getting mistaken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

202 KPH seems like Garda PR , there are very few cars that can do that speed .. If you look at the picture the Garda have up it says -202 KPH no picture of a car just you see the reflection of a Garda .. I have driven M50 for years never saw a fixed Garda camera road side check .. if you saw a car doing 130 KPH that would be fast 150 KPH would be mad -202 is not real.. Was the car stopped ,was there an arrest .... reminds me of the the fairy tale of the 2 million breath test..

It's 125 mph in old money. I did more than that on the m50 in a 96 Fiat many years ago.

• Advertisement

I've seen it...

I've seen the loopers use the hard shoulder to pass at speed too oh and don't forget years back the lads that thought it would make sense to race at night phast and furious style with no lights on lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

200 kmh is easily achievable in most cars these days. Sure I even got my old 1.8 Mondeo to about 190 no problem and sure there was probably a bit more to give.

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

jaysus what goes through people's minds.

A caravan would be going through his mind if he had to brake heavily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

pablo128 wrote: »
    It's 125 mph in old money. I did more than that on the m50 in a 96 Fiat many years ago.

Exactly, any heap would hit 200 nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭wassie

We live in the age of smart phones and stupid people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

In case you missed it...

Here's two lads on the M50 doing probably close to 202kph (if not more)

Unregistered Users

Looks like there may have been a bit of a chase or boxing in to prevent one....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

161 km/h!!!! what was he driving a porsche??.......

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

tossy wrote: »

160km/h isn't all that fast for a modern car, it's pretty dangerous to do on a 100km/h road with traffic that isn't expecting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

tossy wrote: »

You mixing your miles and kilometers up?

liamog wrote: »
    160km/h isn't all that fast for a modern car, it's pretty dangerous to do on a 100km/h road with traffic that isn't expecting it.

It was a Porsche but there were two other tossers in it too that would have got away with it. As you say, it’s within a lot of cars capabilities. One of them was a Golf.

• Advertisement

It was a Porsche but there were two other tossers in it too that would have got away with it. As you say, it’s within a lot of cars capabilities. One of them was a Golf.

A golf going 160km/h! Holy moly.

EDIT: i knew it was a porsche, i'm just getting in the spirit of those replies on twitter who think 160 km/h is the domain of supercars!

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Oh look, they found another E60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

FB-IMG-1590162435835.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

joujoujou wrote: »

172 kph Jesus it’s like the Wild West on the roads atm, I think we’ve all gave the car a little extra with the roads quieter but some ppl are driving at lunatic speeds, the two over 200kph was absolutely mental, they should be banned for life aswell as this tool hitting 172kph

Unregistered Users

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Ohio9

172 kph Jesus it’s like the Wild West on the roads atm, I think we’ve all gave the car a little extra with the roads quieter but some ppl are driving at lunatic speeds, the two over 200kph was absolutely mental, they should be banned for life aswell as this tool hitting 172kph

Banned for life for going 172. This is why I genuinely believe some sort of stupidity test should be passed before being allowed to comment online. You are responsible for dropping IQ for everyone else. My vehicle goes that speed in 1st gear. I think you should be banned for life for stupid posts.

Ohio9 wrote: »
    Banned for life for going 172. This is why I genuinely believe some sort of stupidity test should be passed before being allowed to comment online. You are responsible for dropping IQ for everyone else. My vehicle goes that speed in 1st gear. I think you should be banned for life for stupid posts.

Go on - I'll bite - what vehicle have you the goes 172Kph in first gear? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Probably an electric car.

Some motorbikes wouldn’t be far off that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭wassie

Wow....somebody took their angry pills today...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Go on - I'll bite - what vehicle have you the goes 172Kph in first gear? ;)

one with a broken synchro so its actually in 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

I see you anger as fast as the dope on the road doing 172kph, do you realize what damage that does? It’s an outrageous speed to be doing, your vehicle does it in first gear? That still gives you no reason to go 172kph just cause you can. Yea my stupid post trumps someone advocating 172kph in first gear Wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

My kitchen knife can stab people through the heart, doesn't mean I'll do it though.

I am in agreement that anything above 160kph should be met with a mandatory ban of some description. Even if it was like Australia where a driver can be banned for a few weeks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement